Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

The "Open"

Post by Felix »

Make your prelim picks here:

winner and darkhorse

as always, picks are not official until the Monday following the close of the championship

Winner: Ernie Els
Darkhorse: Lee Westwood
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: The "Open"

Post by BSmack »

Been reading that the course is a little greener and softer than usual for an Open Championship. So I'm going out on a limb and picking Lefty.

My dark horse is Justin Rose.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Kenny Perr......nevermind.

Paul CASEY wins it

Dark Horse - John Daly
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Kenny Perr......nevermind.

yeah no shit...I was wondering why anybody as hot as he is right now would forego the Open Championship :?
Dark Horse - John Daly
I said darkhorse, not NO FUCKING CHANCE pick

your on notice bub
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
yeah no shit...I was wondering why anybody as hot as he is right now would forego the Open Championship :?
I give the man credit for honoring his commitments.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Felix wrote:
I give the man credit for honoring his commitments.

I give the man credit for choosing God’s Country over Limey-land.

My pick: Lee Westwood
Darkhorse: Jim Furyk
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Winner: Sergio
Darkhorse: Monty

Although don't anyone rule out Miguel Angel Jiménez.
He's the leading money winner on the European tour.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I see Lefty saved everybody the trouble of waiting for an epic collapse by taking a 79 in the first round. Good on ya Lefty. See you stateside Saturday afternoon.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:I see Lefty saved everybody the trouble of waiting for an epic collapse by taking a 79 in the first round. Good on ya Lefty. See you stateside Saturday afternoon.
he beat ernie by a shot :oops:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RACK Rocco - tied for first.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Damn, someone forgot to tell Rocco he sucks lately.

I'll go with Rocco's redemption.

And remember, while I was once again delinquent in starting the Pick'Em thread, I still make the damned rules around here...

And I say "Make sure to have your official picks in by Monday morning... or later, if it's more convenient for you."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

There is chum in the water. RACK the hell out of the Shark!!!!!!
Dreams......Temporary Madness
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I'm liking what I saw from Camilo Villegas this morning. 5 straight birdies in THOSE conditions?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Awesome. One final Shark Major choke before he limps off into the sunset.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:I'm liking what I saw from Camilo Villegas this morning. 5 straight birdies in THOSE conditions?

Did he still have the syringe full of HGH and Dyanobol hanging from his arm?

Dude almost singlehandedly brought drug testing to the PGA...

Just as obvious an offender as Barry Bonds, yet he rarely gets called for it. Ponderous.

Speaking of... whatever happened to Gary Player and his "I know FOR FACT that several of the Top Ten are using performance-enhancers. I'll give more details later"?

I don't recall ever hearing another word about it after his bold proclamation, which would be kind of a bitch move to pull on ten guys without some sort of basis for the accusations.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:Awesome. One final Shark Major choke before he limps off into the sunset.

What a trip down memory lane that would be.

Maybe Nicky can be standing at the 18th Green to burst out laughing congratulate him.

Did I ever mention Nick Faldo is my "Other Homie"? My folks have known his mother since about the time Nick was born, and she lives near them now, even.

WGC reprezentin, yo!
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Dark Horse - John Daly

DFL
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:Dark Horse - John Daly
DFL
Not exactly. He finished ahead of the two guys who pussed out midway through the first round. Sandly Lyle was +11 after 10 holes when he walked off and Rich Beem was +12 after 9 when he pulled the chute.

BTW: Rack the hell out of K.J. Choi for being the only player under par. And don't you just love the idea of David Freaking Duval being in the hunt? I just hope he doesn't space out on the last 3 holes today.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

When DD dropped in that chip, I yelled out and pumped my fist like I'd made the shot myself.

GOOOOOO DAVID!!!!
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:
Speaking of... whatever happened to Gary Player and his "I know FOR FACT that several of the Top Ten are using performance-enhancers. I'll give more details later"?
Tim Finchem told him to shut his pie hole otherwise he'd be forced to invalidate his ticket on the gravy train

Player was a notorious cheater
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Zysdale wrote:Did I ever mention Nick Faldo is my "Other Homie"? My folks have known his mother since about the time Nick was born, and she lives near them now, even.

WGC reprezentin, yo!
Well at least we're guarranteed that there won't be any pics posted of said celebrity gatherings..
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

drug addled or not, if Norman can ride this home it will be one of the alltime old guy moments in sport.

when Nicklaus won the Masters in 86 at 46. Norman is 53?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I've always been a fan of Norman. Hope he can hold it together for 18 more holes.

RACK the dude who 5 putted one of those greens today.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

chrissy's ex used to be the "Shark's" BEST FRIEND????????

not gonna research...just heard this on FOX Radio.

still want Norman to WIN....but.....what will Page 3 say?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Absolutely love getting up early in the morning on a Sunday to watch the last round of the Open Championship. It's the first time watching it in HD...it doesn't look nearly as dank and dreary. Definitely rooting for the Shark this morning...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was ":rooting" for The Shark... and he didn't disappoint.

Vintage freaking Norman.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy... the arrogant prick.

Never could stand that smarmy fuck.

RACK Paddy.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:I'm liking what I saw from Camilo Villegas this morning. 5 straight birdies in THOSE conditions?

Did he still have the syringe full of HGH and Dyanobol hanging from his arm?

Dude almost singlehandedly brought drug testing to the PGA...

Just as obvious an offender as Barry Bonds, yet he rarely gets called for it. Ponderous.
You may be right about Villegas, but the guy isn’t much bigger than Whitey. He goes about a buck-65. Seems Tiger’s more ripped than he is. Is Tiger juicing as well?

Oh, and Norman is arrogant? Every time I’ve ever seen him interviewed he seemed a decent enough guy. He always seems to be having a good time, except when his golf game is crumbling. And he was very gracious yesterday, greeting Harrington’s wife as he walked off 18 and rubbing the little kid’s head. Harrington had nothing but nice things to say about him during the award ceremony.
Last edited by Goober McTuber on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
Tim Finchem told him to shut his pie hole otherwise he'd be forced to invalidate his ticket on the gravy train

Player was a notorious cheater
This is the first I've heard of Player cheating. Can you elaborate?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote: This is the first I've heard of Player cheating. Can you elaborate?
Player is alleged to have cheated his way to the 1974 British Open by having his caddie surreptitiously drop a replacement ball in the rough after a wayward tee shot on the 71st hole. Others have accused him of using various tactics to illegally improve his lie, including fellow legend Tom Watson, who confronted the diminutive South African during the first Skins Game in 1983.
Tom Watson wrote:"Gary, we're gettin' sick of this shit."
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:the arrogant prick.
Yep, he and Curtis Strange were two of the biggest ass-holes back in the day.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

IndyFrisco wrote:Awesome. One final Shark Major choke before he limps off into the sunset.
^^^ RACK! ^^^
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:You may be right about Villegas, but the guy isn’t much bigger than Whitey. He goes about a buck-65. Seems Tiger’s more ripped than he is. Is Tiger juicing as well?

Tell you what... you show take a moment to figure out WTF you're talking about, then try again.

Villegas is probably 165... on the frame of a 95 pound woman.

Dude has muscles on top of muscles which bulge with muscles... which magically appeared from the time he left college to the time he got a card...

yeahhhhhhhh, right

Tiger's muscle developement has been gradual and steady, with the expection of last winter, when he said beforehand he was going to soend more time on strength training in the offseason... just like Phil did.

Not saying Tiger is for-sure clean, but to compare his muscle developement to the overnight success of Villegas' bulking up is absurd.

Thank goodness I didn't have to listen to Shark talk about how great he is... AGAIN. The first 400 times during the 80's was enough for me. His Sunday melts are the Golf Gods' way of teaching the asshat about humility.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
BSmack wrote: This is the first I've heard of Player cheating. Can you elaborate?
Player is alleged to have cheated his way to the 1974 British Open by having his caddie surreptitiously drop a replacement ball in the rough after a wayward tee shot on the 71st hole. Others have accused him of using various tactics to illegally improve his lie, including fellow legend Tom Watson, who confronted the diminutive South African during the first Skins Game in 1983.
Tom Watson wrote:"Gary, we're gettin' sick of this shit."
Interesting. What site did you quote this from?

On the face of it, the 1974 accusations appear to be baseless. It makes no sense to do something as risky as dropping a ball in full view of the galleries and TV cameras while holding a 6 shot lead with two holes to go? Even Jean Van de Velde could have held that kind of a lead.

As for the Watson allegation, I'd like to see what Watson has to say about it nowadays. As I read it, Player would ground his wood behind the ball in the rough ostensibly in an effort to tamp the grass down only to "change his mind" and actually play the ball with a iron? Seems to me that he's within his rights to ground his club provided he doesn't move the ball or is not within a hazard.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote: On the face of it, the 1974 accusations appear to be baseless. It makes no sense to do something as risky as dropping a ball in full view of the galleries and TV cameras while holding a 6 shot lead with two holes to go? Even Jean Van de Velde could have held that kind of a lead.
don't shoot the messenger
As I read it, Player would ground his wood behind the ball in the rough ostensibly in an effort to tamp the grass down only to "change his mind" and actually play the ball with a iron? Seems to me that he's within his rights to ground his club provided he doesn't move the ball or is not within a hazard.
it's called improving your lie...try that with the guys I play with and they'd cut your nuts off
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:You may be right about Villegas, but the guy isn’t much bigger than Whitey. He goes about a buck-65. Seems Tiger’s more ripped than he is. Is Tiger juicing as well?

Tell you what... you show take a moment to figure out WTF you're talking about, then try again.
Why don't you take a moment to put this into English. Look, I just asked the question because he doesn’t look like a blatant steroid abuser. According to what I’ve read, dude was 142 coming out of college, has added about 20 lbs. since. Not that big a deal, though he did take creatine (not sure of the tour's policy on that).

A perfect body seems the preference, too. Back in college, the fat on Camilo’s 5-foot-9 frame was only 4.5 percent, the stuff of marathoners, the result of treadmill sprints and heavy lifting of cold steel that, with the help of some creatine, raised his weight from 130 to 165 pounds. At one point, Alexander had to back him off because of concerns about muscle-bound tightness.

“He’s passionate,” Gutierrez said. “He’s Latin. That’s the way we’re built. Everything we do we do 100 percent.”

Villegas was so hooked on sculpting his body for a long career and to eliminate recurring back problems caused by a hard swing, he decided on twice-daily workouts. That meant cardiovascular and abdominal attention in the morning, then lifting and stretching later. As a result, he transformed from one of the shortest Florida players to one of the longest.

Now, as a touring pro, he’s into maintaining his muscular physique in addition to improving flexibility and core stability. That means lifting light weights with high repetitions, stretching and leaving sweat all over the treadmill. Two days before the Shell Houston Open, he ran 30 minutes at 8 mph.

“Intense cardio, man,” he said. “I went at it hard.”
http://www.golfweek.com/profiles/story/ ... er_profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:it's called improving your lie...try that with the guys I play with and they'd cut your nuts off
Here's the rule in question.
13-2. Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing,
or Line of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

• the position or lie of his ball,
• the area of his intended stance or swing,
• his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line
beyond the hole, or
• the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,
by any of the following actions:
• pressing a club on the ground,
• moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed
(including immovable obstructions and objects defining out
of bounds),
• creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,
• removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots
or other cut turf placed in position, or
• removing dew, frost or water.

However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:

• in grounding the club lightly when addressing the ball,
• in fairly taking his stance,
• in making a stroke or the backward movement of his club
for a stroke and the stroke is made,
46 Rule 13
• in creating or eliminating irregularities of surface within
the teeing ground (Rule 11-1) or in removing dew, frost or
water from the teeing ground, or
• on the putting green in removing sand and loose soil or in
repairing damage (Rule 16-1).

Exception: Ball in hazard — see Rule 13-4.
It would appear to me that Watson's definition of "grounding the club lightly" differed with Player's. So why didn't he get a ruling?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote: So why didn't he get a ruling?
It was in a Skins Game-I assume there were no rules officials and everybody was on the honor system
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
BSmack wrote: So why didn't he get a ruling?
It was in a Skins Game-I assume there were no rules officials and everybody was on the honor system
There are rules officials on hand. Here's an example of a ruling during a Skins Game ruling.

http://www.thewinningrules.com/rules07.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:raised his weight from 130 to 165 pounds.

Barry Bonds increased his weight over 25% in a couple of years, too...

how'd the Court of Public Opinion rule on that one?

Matter of fact, it usually accepted that there's only ONE way to gain a 25%+ gain in body mass without increasing total body fat in such a short time...

I'll give you three guesses what that muscle-building technique is?

Unless you actually buy into the McGwire Defense... "Uhm, yeah -- it was creatine. That's the ticket. Creatine."
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote: There are rules officials on hand. Here's an example of a ruling during a Skins Game ruling.

http://www.thewinningrules.com/rules07.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Felix wrote:
don't shoot the messenger

I don't fucking know bud, I didn't say it Tom Watson said it

maybe you should take it up with him

on a side note, it would be interesting to see Camillo go into a roid rage on the course (which presumes he takes them)