Nationals Park - PET

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Screw_Michigan

Nationals Park - PET

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I tried to go see the Rangers-Nats game Saturday, but made the foolish decision to try to buy the cheap tickets at the gate right at game time. Stupid decision. As we all know, the Nats are the second worst team in baseball and they have one of the highest ticket prices in the Major Leagues. So, of course, everyone is gobbling up the cheapies right away. When I got to the box office, I was told the cheapest ticket available was $40. Uh, no.

So I did a little research Monday before deciding to head out to the Angels-Nats game. The Nats have $5 grandstand seats that are available only on game day, as well as $10 seats. I felt like taking some pictures for you SICK FUCKS, so I got there at 5:30 when there would be few people there. Unfortunately, a huge storm started rolling in right around 5:30, and the game was postponed until 8:30. I had other shit to do that night, so I only stuck around for the first few innings. And since I was starving and still on a cheap budget, I decided I would save the $7 I would have spent on a brat and decided to spend it in Dupont.

Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera died right before game time, but I got some good ones anyway.

view from the centerfield gate where i first walked in.

scoreboard from CF patio. notice the storm clouds. and the videoboard is the largest HD board in the major leagues, i guess.

ben's chili, a washington institution right inside the park.

angels taking BP.

another videoboard shot. much darker clouds.

more BP.

view from the diamond club.

action shot.

more BP

the party patio in CF, or whatever the fukk it's called, we'll call it "Balck Cock Patio" just for Pikkkle.

RF bullpen.

from the center field patio.

first base entrance.

a view of the navy yard.

a view of the capitol. there isn't a "pristine" view of the capitol, but if you sit in the right sections, you can get a glimpse. the park is located on South Capitol on the banks of the Anacostia River.

another capitol glimpse.

more capitol.

that's right.
Image'

god damn tarp. this isn't directly behind home plate at the highest point because the team moved the pressbox up there, which is why i hate watching fielding plays on tv. it looks like a fucking duke basketball game.

GFY, losers.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Nationals Park - PET

Post by Shoalzie »

Nice work as usual...that's a neat looking park, too bad the team blows right now.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

before i arrived, the post had a big article on how the nats are only doing the bare minimum that MLB says. MLB rules (i'm assuming to help fend off anti-trust lawsuits) require stadiums to have a minimum number of seats in certain price levels, so that there aren't only 10 $5 seats and 20 $10 seats, if you get my drift. Well, that's exactly what the Nats did, minimum number of seats in the cheap pricing levels. The nats also have 60% of their tickets cost $40 or more, which sounds extremely high. i'd love to see a copy of that article. there are people writing into the post all the time about how they regret buying season tickets and if they didn't buy season tickets, they wouldn't go to any games at all. but, that just shows you how much ridiculous disposable income some people around here have. i felt like the miller high life delivery guy walking around the gift shop: "$150 for an authentic bullpen jacket? you have to be out of your fucking mind."

not many fans of the lerners around here. will try to mix in an o's game next time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Maybe I missed something but how did you end up in Maryland?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I quit my job in Elkhart at the end of May and moved out here with the money I had saved up from working 3rd shift stuffing papers. I have friends who I used to work with at the student paper at WMU who live out here and the editorial job market (and job market in general) is light years better than it is in the Midwest, although the "general" part is TBD soon. Long story short, I got sick and tired of living in NO IN and working shit hours for shit wages, so I decided to roll the dice and come out here. I stayed in a hostel in Petworth (Upper DC) for two nights and landed a place in College Park for dirt, I mean dirt cheap. I live with two other UMD grads who will also be moving out at the end of August. Cost of living is astronomically expensive out here, but so far, I'm making it work. Though I'll never get used to $5 bottles of PBR (yes, that is correct). I almost vomited.

I walk at least three miles a day and take the metro everywhere. I spend a lot of time in DC, that's where my friends live and when I'm not applying for jobs, I'm walking around the District, checking things out.

As a sports reporter, there is nothing shittier than having prep sports be the centerpoint of your employment existence. Deifying high school athletes gets old real fucking quick and when that's all you do, time to go for the shower rod. So I decided to make it happen. I love the metro DC area and hope to stay here for a long time.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Cost of living is astronomically expensive out here, but so far, I'm making it work. Though I'll never get used to $5 bottles of PBR (yes, that is correct). I almost vomited.
How many dicks do you suck a day to “make it work”?

So Irie Lagos is the only remaining message boarder with a paper route? Rack you Screwball.

And PBR at any price would make me vomit.

Cute PET, BTW.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

C+
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote:As a sports reporter, there is nothing shittier than having prep sports be the centerpoint of your employment existence. Deifying high school athletes gets old real fucking quick and when that's all you do, time to go for the shower rod. So I decided to make it happen. I love the metro DC area and hope to stay here for a long time.
i like your attitude toward covering the high school beat. i guess it's a start, but i knew some guy back at eastern - corey roepken - who got a job doing just that at the aa news and actually referred to himself as a minor celebrity. wanker. he also covered umich gymnastics and wondered aloud on his blog if he had a chance with calli ryals since she was so nice to him when he'd ask her stupid questions for the three-sentence article he was writing. to his credit, she is pretty hot.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Didn't know my absence from the board would be renting space in your dome, Goobs. Glad to see you're thinking about me, shit-eater. Unlike you, I'm not blowing any pole to get by. I'm doing just fine, thank you.

M Club, any newspaper reporter who refers to themselves as a minor celebrity, especially if you're not in a top 10 (or top 100 market), is a fucking wanker. Although, it's funny you mention that story because I kind of did the same thing, except I pulled the new girls swimming coach at Elkhart Central High School in late 06. Had to do a story on the new girls swim coach, found out we had a lot in common (or so I thought, but she went to a fellow MAC school: Akron), wrote some sappy-ass story on her. She loved it. Started going out, yada yada yada. Then I discovered she was a hypocritical, lying, selfish cunt and dropped her ass not soon enough, unfortunately.

Did Roepken work for the Echo? I didn't think people got hired out of that shithole. What a loser for wondering aloud in his blog if he had a chance with one of the chicks on his beat. That's a great way to create a glass ceiling for yourself early in your career if you follow through on that. When I was covering the WMU women's basketball team in 04-05, there were quite a few hot chicks on the team. My favorite was Kim Driggett, the backup PG to WMU's all time leading scorer, who ended up being lost for the season about eight games in with a severe knee injury. Swim cunt was not on my beat, but Driggett was. Big difference. Wasn't the best player on the team, but definitely the hottest, if you ask me. She's now a cop out in Davison. Go figure.

There is nothing wrong with the prep beat. There are a lot of good stories in high school sports and I enjoy covering high school games as well. But when you're at a shithole paper like I was which focuses entirely on high school sports (except for the one guy who does ND football and basketball), it fucking sucks. Same stories over and over. Same canned takes from coaches. The only redeeming part about the high school sports beat is when you get cooperative coaches and players who are actually honest and candid with you, and they are very few and far between. Especially for newspaper reporters, but if you were a TV guy and had a camera pointed at them, oh shit, they would go down on you faster than Goober McShitPusher on Mike Eaves.

MGoBlueBallSpecial: Take the + in C+ and shove it up your ass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Didn't know my absence from the board would be renting space in your dome, Goobs. Glad to see you're thinking about me, shit-eater. Unlike you, I'm not blowing any pole to get by. I'm doing just fine, thank you.
In your dome, IKYABWAI. Maybe you should have moved to KC, Screwball.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Then I discovered she was a hypocritical, lying, selfish cunt and dropped her ass not soon enough, unfortunately.

Ahhhh, to be young and naive again.

In exchange for the PET, I'll dispense a little wisom, since I'm like a man-of-the-world and stuff...

"I discovered she was a hypocritical, lying, selfish cunt "

Remove the word "she," and substitute the name of any woman that didn't give birth to you, and it's still true.

You probably doubt me. But give it 10, 20 years... and someday, you'll realize that "Hey, that one douchebag on the internet all those years ago really was right."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Roepken was the sports editor at the Echo. And I should probably clarify about his blog: he wasn't wondering if he could get with her, per se. I guess I should have been less general. It was more along the lines of, "She's so nice when I interview her; she must like me." He's very socially awkward and unattractive, and although he's aware of all this he still can't help himself. It's actually fairly intriguing, the stuff he's willing to write on his blog. He's very near 30 by now and hasn't the shame to not publish the fact how awesome it was some girl let him hold her hand. Stuff like that. It's weird.

My sister used to be some managing editor or something like that for the Western Herald. I forget her exact job. I don't think she did it long, though.