Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

2008 Playoffs - Conference Finals

Post by Shoalzie »

No long-winded previews...my picks prior to the Game 1s:

Penguins in 6 games
Red Wings in 6 games

The Stars are definitely going to have to earn their way to the finals...they already got through the defending champs and the pre-playoff favorites out of the West...now they have to go through a hot-scoring Red Wings team. Everyone knows about Turco's past struggles against the Wings. He's still winless at the Joe in his career against them.

On SportsCenter, Grapes said it best...Philadelphia can't run-and-gun with the Penguins and expect to win. I don't think losing Timonen is that crushing of loss if they play their game. If they make it a track meet with the Penguins, his absense will hurt them more. Keep it to a half-court game, so to speak.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: 2008 Playoffs - Conference Finals

Post by MuchoBulls »

Probably the first time in a while, if ever, that I won't be watching any more games in the playoffs. It just seems that the refs are going to ensure the Pens make the Finals no matter what Philly does. Detroit has looked strong so far and I can't see them losing to Dallas.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Ribeiro-Osgood thing at the end of the game doesn't really warrant a discussion...

The game itself...big win for the Wings without Franzen and he's going to be out for Game 3 as well. This was definitely the most entertaining game I've seen involving the Wings in this year's playoffs. The Stars and Turco played a much better game from Game 1 but the Wings were able to escape with the 2-0 lead heading to Dallas on Monday.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

i didn't see what happened. did osgood legitimately butt-end him? that's unusual coming from him and it's not like ribero retaliated and hit him in the throat, he hit him flat in the chest for god's sake.

does match penalty = automatic one-game suspension in the show?
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

I was immediately thinking one game suspension for a stupid, stupid thing for Ribs to do. When I looked at it closer, a) he was retaliating for the butt-end from Osgood (not too serious) and b) didn't hit Osgood very hard and got him flat in the chest. Pucks from wrist shots hit him harder than that. So I hope they just leave it alone and let the players settle it out there. I think Ribs was mostly pissed that his team is down 2-0, and the butt-end sent him over the line.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Osgood put his stick out away from his body and Ribeiro skated into it with a couple seconds left. It wouldn't call it a buttend but it was the knob of the stick he made contact with. Right after the game ended, Ribeiro went back after him and took a swing at Osgood and hit him in the chest/shoulder. It didn't look that bad of a swing but Ozzie fell down like he was shot and sold it like Ribeiro hit him like Simon hit Hollweg or McSorley hit Brashear. It really wasn't that bad of a hit. The act was unnecessary but I really wonder if he would've swung at him had Osgood not left his stick hanging out like it was. To me, it doesn't warrant a suspension.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Osgood and Ribeiro were fined by the NHL...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237498&lid= ... pStory_nhl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Ott got a fine for going off on Draper after Draper pancaked him after that last faceoff in the neutral zone. It was kind of funny seeing little Draper run over the big bad Steve Ott and put him on ass after a crucial faceoff.

Kind of symbolic considering how badly the Wings dominated the Stars in the faceoff circle. The Wings won 39 of 55 draws on Saturday and 35 of 56 draws on Thursday. The Stars really miss not having Stu Barnes in the lineup just for the fact he's their best faceoff man. Gone are the days of having Guy Carbonneau or Joe Nieuwendyk to take key faceoffs. Draper is over 63% in the playoffs and Zetterberg is close to 54%.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:The Ribeiro-Osgood thing at the end of the game doesn't really warrant a discussion...
Actually, it does. No suspension for Ribiero? Just another sign of what a chicken shit Campbell is. Osgood may have started it with the butt end, but to get away with just swinging the stick at a guys head is flat out wrong. The league wonders why it is losing long time fans.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:The Ribeiro-Osgood thing at the end of the game doesn't really warrant a discussion...
Actually, it does. No suspension for Ribiero? Just another sign of what a chicken shit Campbell is. Osgood may have started it with the butt end, but to get away with just swinging the stick at a guys head is flat out wrong. The league wonders why it is losing long time fans.
Actually long time fans dig the rough stuff. Until tonight I didn't realize that Ozzie got in the first jab. I watched the game at a bar and only saw the retaliation. Thinking he was just cheap shotting Ozzie, I was all for a Ribeiro suspension. Now that I saw the whole thing unfold with a clear (Jager-free) head I see that it was just a normal hockey situation. No harm, no foul. No reason to suspend anyone. It was a nice piece of tape for VS. to use to hype game 3, but little more than that.

Having said all that, the Wings are far and away the best team in the league. Great two-way guys up front,and two HOF'ers anchoring the blue line. With Osgood facing less than 25 shots per game nobody will beat the Wings. Best game plan, best players, best execution.....say no more.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The third period tonight was the dagger to the Stars chances in this series. They kept the Wings shot total down and got a lucky bounce on the Richards goal to tie it up. The Zetterberg SHG was an absolute back-breaker. Part of me thinks it would be wise for the Wings to keep Franzen out for Game 4 if he's still iffy to return. I don't know how soon THE finals would start but to give him some extra rest would be smart. Scary to think that a team can lose the hottest goal-scorer in the playoffs and still role along. Then again, when you still have #5, #13 and #40 in uniform...not many teams can throw that type of talent out there. I hope they can take care of business on Wednesday and not let this drag out. The Wings have been excellent in games where the opposition faces elimination.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Wings making this thing look easy. Dallas ties it? No problem...we'll just score another one. Detroit hit their speed bump back in February but has flipped the switch in April/May/June. I don't know how Nashville got two from 'em. Totally dominating team. Dallas has no answers. Still, it was a good playoff run for the Stars, after so many first round duds. They got people in town excited about hockey again. Last time they got rolled by Detroit in the WCS, Stars won it all the next year. A repeat would be nice.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

WolverineSteve wrote:Actually long time fans dig the rough stuff. Until tonight I didn't realize that Ozzie got in the first jab. I watched the game at a bar and only saw the retaliation. Thinking he was just cheap shotting Ozzie, I was all for a Ribeiro suspension. Now that I saw the whole thing unfold with a clear (Jager-free) head I see that it was just a normal hockey situation. No harm, no foul. No reason to suspend anyone. It was a nice piece of tape for VS. to use to hype game 3, but little more than that.
Don't get me wrong, I love the rough stuff. I just cannot stand the cheap shots and the fact that guys are not getting punished for it. I wish I could agree with the "no harm/no foul" approach, but Ribiero certainly used his stick in a manner that was to injure Osgood. The intent was there and that is why he should have gotten a match penalty (yes, the game was over, but guys have still gotten match penalties at the end of games) and been suspended.

Malkin getting away with 2 slew foot's on Mara was just as bad.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Intent to injure? Come on, let's not get carried away. It was bad slash out of frustration, but if Ribeiro intended to injure Osgood by slashing him in the chest protector, he's either stupid or thinks he's very strong.

He could have done that to me with my $35 shoulder pads on and I bet it wouldn't have hurt.

A fine is adequate in my opinion.

As for the series, I must again throw out the "these playoffs suck" card.
Still a FlameFan
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

JD wrote:Intent to injure? Come on, let's not get carried away. It was bad slash out of frustration, but if Ribeiro intended to injure Osgood by slashing him in the chest protector, he's either stupid or thinks he's very strong.

He could have done that to me with my $35 shoulder pads on and I bet it wouldn't have hurt.

A fine is adequate in my opinion.

As for the series, I must again throw out the "these playoffs suck" card.
How am I getting carried away? One of the Wings' was holding him up while he swung his stick. That was no love tap. Frustration or not, he wasn't just trying to hit him for the hell of it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wow, I didn't think the semifinals could be any less uneventful until we've seen how the conference finals have been shaking out. It's looking like the Wings and Pens are on a collision course. This was always a dream matchup back in the 90s with me...would've loved to see a finals between Lemieux/Jagr and Yzerman/Fedorov. Instead, we'll get to see the next generation of superstars...Crosby/Malkin vs. Zetterberg/Datsyuk.

I have to believe that the league is excited about this matchup...two of their brightest young stars against arguably the most popular American team and an Original 6 franchise to boot. Hopefully the series is more competitive than the last couple rounds have been. Frankly, I'd like to see a long series...I want to get a ticket for Game 5 and/or 7. I never got a chance to see the Wings in the finals the four previous times...I don't want to pass this up this year.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

MuchoBulls wrote:How am I getting carried away? One of the Wings' was holding him up while he swung his stick. That was no love tap. Frustration or not, he wasn't just trying to hit him for the hell of it.
Like I said, it wasn't an intent to injure. That's how you're getting carried away.

Maybe we have differing definitions of intent to injure... to me, intent is premeditated and malicious. That incident was a spur of the moment show of frustration.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Ribeiro or his actions. The truth is, he's one of those guys that shies away from the rough stuff and isn't normally involved in it. He's frustrated and wants to somehow fight back, so he swings his stick. A more honourable player would probably throw a punch or something. The most honourable player would skate away from it and get them back on the scoreboard. The stick swing is a cheap shot for sure, but to me, not premeditated nor all that malicious.

If you want to see intent to injure, see Jamie McLennan in last year's Flames-Wings series. Now THAT was a slash!
Still a FlameFan
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

JD wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote:How am I getting carried away? One of the Wings' was holding him up while he swung his stick. That was no love tap. Frustration or not, he wasn't just trying to hit him for the hell of it.
Like I said, it wasn't an intent to injure. That's how you're getting carried away.

Maybe we have differing definitions of intent to injure... to me, intent is premeditated and malicious. That incident was a spur of the moment show of frustration.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Ribeiro or his actions. The truth is, he's one of those guys that shies away from the rough stuff and isn't normally involved in it. He's frustrated and wants to somehow fight back, so he swings his stick. A more honourable player would probably throw a punch or something. The most honourable player would skate away from it and get them back on the scoreboard. The stick swing is a cheap shot for sure, but to me, not premeditated nor all that malicious.

If you want to see intent to injure, see Jamie McLennan in last year's Flames-Wings series. Now THAT was a slash!
I think we do have differing opinions on intent to injure. Definitely agree about McClennan last year. That was bush league. I just think anytime you swing your stick like that it is intended to hurt the other player.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well, I do get to go to Game 5 tomorrow...found someone with an extra that was willing to sell to me. The only blessing of them losing is so the home crowd might get a chance to see them wrap up the series. I can't remember the last time they won a series at home. I don't think it was all the way back to the 2002 Finals. It's also a rare time that the Wings didn't close out a series on the first try. They had a large winning streak going in clinching games and that was snapped on Wednesday.

I got my hands on a Game 5 ticket for the Cup Finals...5th row along one of the bluelines. It set me back $325 bucks but if I get to witness them skating the cup in person, I think it will be well worth the money.

Glad to see the Flyers prolonged their execution just so the Pens didn't have an easier road to the Finals. It sounds like the Flyers might have Timonen back for Game 5, which will be big for them. If the Wings wrap it up on Saturday, I can care less how long the Pens take to finish off the Flyers. I'm wondering when the Cup Finals would start next week if both series are decided over the weekend. I hope we don't have to wait all the way until Thursday since that seems to be the usual start date of the last three series for the Wings.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:Well, I do get to go to Game 5 tomorrow...found someone with an extra that was willing to sell to me. The only blessing of them losing is so the home crowd might get a chance to see them wrap up the series. I can't remember the last time they won a series at home. I don't think it was all the way back to the 2002 Finals. It's also a rare time that the Wings didn't close out a series on the first try. They had a large winning streak going in clinching games and that was snapped on Wednesday.

I got my hands on a Game 5 ticket for the Cup Finals...5th row along one of the bluelines. It set me back $325 bucks but if I get to witness them skating the cup in person, I think it will be well worth the money.

Glad to see the Flyers prolonged their execution just so the Pens didn't have an easier road to the Finals. It sounds like the Flyers might have Timonen back for Game 5, which will be big for them. If the Wings wrap it up on Saturday, I can care less how long the Pens take to finish off the Flyers. I'm wondering when the Cup Finals would start next week if both series are decided over the weekend. I hope we don't have to wait all the way until Thursday since that seems to be the usual start date of the last three series for the Wings.
jesus, who is your ticket connection? game 5 for the finals is optimal, i think the wings will take it in 5. and a friend of mine is talking about getting a ticket for the finals, I told him it would probably start at $200 for a seat. $325 for fifth row on the blue line? i wasn't too far off.

rack you for pulling a finals ticket. you know, for all the time i spent in kzoo, all my metro detroit fliends had wings ticket connections and could never get hooked up. assholes.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No hook-ups...just someone on another message board was a little loose with letting other people know what the promo code on Ticketmaster was for the presale. I bought that ticket on Wednesday morning. It's my understanding that all the tickets available for the presale are now sold out. The rest of the tickets go on sale after they finish the series...and yes, I'm assuming they will.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Last opportunity for the Wings to put the Stars away risk-free. They can't look at this as their second last chance at winning this...they gotta want to get it done tonight or they'll be flirting with danger.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Whew, survived that scare...bring on the Penguins!