Recruiting Rankings

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Recruiting Rankings

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Let me start off by saying...there will be some SEC bashing in this thread...also while I will bash...I am in no way saying they don't recruit exceptionally well...

When recruiting rankings are released we see sometimes 3 or 4 SEC teams in the top 10...of course the nation starts jacking off all over them and blah, blah, blah...well let me ask you a question...if you can only sign 25 (as the max allowed by the NCAA) how is it...UT, FLA, Bama, UGA, etc in the SEC consistently sign 27 - 30+ kids...well some count toward last year if they enroll in Jan (I understand that)...some greyshirt (where they have to pay their own way) I understand that...but in many respects they go to JUCO or Prep School, or they just flat out don't qualify...so here you have overblown rankings with potential 3 and 4 star kids sitting on (insert) SEC Schools committment list and they may never play a down for said school...

does anyone else find this funny? I mean I would think that somewhere between 15-20 kids per year should be the equilibrium for most programs...either that or these SEC schools recruit some very shady academic kids and they wind up falling out...

I ALSO REALIZE that other schools in other conferences do this...but the majority happens in the SEC...I know in the Big 10 you can only oversign by 3 schoolies and or give out only 3 letters more than schollies you have (hence the tie into oversigning)...what would happen to the SEC rankings if they had to play by those rules?

Again more a discussion...but yes I will take my shots at the SEC...since you know being a Buckeye I have taken more than my fair share - :P :D :) :mrgreen:
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Re: Recruiting Rankings

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I brought that up and was nominated for board bitch in 08
SEC fans hold on to their delusions, why do you think that part of the country is called the "Bible Belt"?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

SoCalTrjn wrote:I brought that up and was elected board bitch in 08
SEC fans hold on to their delusions, why do you think that part of the country is called the "Bible Belt"?

FTFY-NC
E UNUM PLURIBUS
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The Seer wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:I brought that up and was elected board bitch in 08

FTFY-NC

sweep in volleyball? at Pauley? fuck, just hand the Gauntlet over now
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

J - my point was they do have to follow the mandate of 25 kids...my point was the rankings in just about all cases reflect who is verballed/signed, etc...again Bama, UF, Tenn, etc have all brought in 30+ on signing day in recent memory...their rankings reflect that...again overhyped rankings that don't mean shit...thereby adding to the mystique that the SEC is the greatest ever in recruiting as well...

again just wondering what people think of this that is all...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

over the last 4 years, USC has signed 80 players, Bama has sined 130 over that same period... 45 of which could not be on scholarship..... apparently not ALL schools play by the same rules. Some schools only seek credit for the players that will actually attend the school, while some others just stack classes with players for the class ranking, then sweep the players away once it comes time to dole out the scholarships.
I hear they have some other "bear" scholarships at bama that they give to football players who are not on the travelling roster, seems like this would be a scheme to skirt the title ix rules that everyone else has to abide by. Any truth to the special "Bear" scholarships that are given to football players that gives Bama more than the alloted 85? Is the NCAA investigating that?
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Trojans 09 class is off to a very solid start, on top of the #1 HS player this last year (even though he was an 11th grader) USC has 8 other commits having added 3 more in the last 8 or 9 days
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Papa Willie wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:I brought that up and was nominated for board bitch in 08

Seriously dude - what is your fucking problem? You are the whiniest cocksucker I've ever seen on a fucking board. Who fucked you over so bad in life?
I think it was his mom. She told him that no one will help you in life. Spit on everyone's faces. Never help them up. Step on their throat when you get the opportunity. And most of all, if you can get past this, you win.

Fast forward to now and you see what we got...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Vonteze Burfect joins Trojans class of 09
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

will kansas st have a a full class of Juco's this year?

prince is the ruin of that program that Snyder built. taking schollies from local kids for jucos, losing any decent coach he has. When do they pull the plug?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Adelpiero wrote:will kansas st have a a full class of Juco's this year?

prince is the ruin of that program that Snyder built. taking schollies from local kids for jucos, losing any decent coach he has. When do they pull the plug?
Snyder never had JUCOs? whattya talkin about? LOL.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Kansas States recruiting was killed when they changed the rules that recruits had to take commercial flights to get to the school, the 3 hour drive through the boringist featureless fuck of a country side after the flight makes the kids minds up for them
Brock in Va Beach
Jake
Location: Memorial Stadium: Lincoln, NE. The nicest place you could ever go to lose.

Post by Brock in Va Beach »

As long as Freeman sees more time on his back than on his feet this year, I'll be content. Fuckin prima donna.

Sorry, that ends my "bitter Husker fan" requisite post.

P.S. Bill Callahan called and said recruiting a ton of JUCO's isn't a good idea. KSU will be back to the perennial doormat in no fewer than 2 seasons.
Don't run from a sniper, you'll just die tired.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

KSU is smart to make good use of all the local JUCO-talent, access to those JUCO's and a history of using them is one of the only recruiting assets KSU has. But what Prince did this year was just ridiculous. 20 JUCO's? He put a class together to win and save his ass in '08 at the expense of future squads. It is do-or-die this season after the losing-streak that ended '07. I guess we'll see how it plays-out. My guess is 6-6 and probably a pink-slip.

I was skeptical of this hire at the start, seemed like a slightly more qualified version of John Blake. I'd say I was I right. Why they didn't just hire Gary Patterson I have no idea.
Last edited by Danimal on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

it was a weird hire i agree. but, Blake had ties to OU and played for Switzer at a time when "getting it back in the Sooner family"* after Howard reign of terror (or bourbon)....Prince was kind of a smoove talking guy who was, what, OC for Virginia who is apparently also somewhat Stalin-esque?

Patterson would have been a good move and prolly good for the conference. he instantly gives KSU recruiting cred in the Dallas area and Oklahoma for that matter--when KSU was good and OU sucked Snyder pulled a lot of talent out of the Tulsa area. Frickin KU had more than a couple contributers from OK last year. plus, he wouldn't have had to buy new ties. purple all around.

*getting it back in the ___x___ family" is doom for college sports programs, rock solid certainty.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Snyder used the juco route to get starters ASAP.

but prince is trying to use his whole class for Jucos. Jucos are super hit and misses, and many end up being a shit load of trouble.

there actually is some very good talent in kansas these past 2 years(ok, only like 3 total players in 2 years), and they are getting NONE. But neither is Kansas, buwahahahaha...... but.........the BCS game was going to open up our recruiting to Miami and more of the country! buwahahahahaha pipe dream beakers. While Missouri shouldnt of been in the Cotton, it was a goldmine for them. They got a couple good sleepers from Tejas late because of them game and its location! And beating the shit out of a "MIGHTY" SEC opponent also was nice for recruting. Tonso talent in State this season, and 2 Top 30 WR right across the river in East. St.louis. And getting oral commits has been huge this season.

20 Jucos in a class is horrible!
Brock in Va Beach
Jake
Location: Memorial Stadium: Lincoln, NE. The nicest place you could ever go to lose.

Post by Brock in Va Beach »

How it is and will always be:

Another couple of 6 win or less seasons and KSU will be back to rivaling Baylor for conference ineptness. Manhattan is a wasteland, and good recruits won't want to go there to re-build a program. Prince will be fired, they won't be able to draw a top-tier coach to replace him, and they'll spiral out. Snyder's last 10 seasons was a huge anomaly. Won't be happening again.
Don't run from a sniper, you'll just die tired.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

The Prince-hire just didn't make sense. He was a hell of a line-coach that was nothing-special when promoted to OC. Why they figured he'd excel at HC I don't know. It is possible, the DC we fired back in 02 has become a hell of HC at NDSU and Skip Holtz was a crappy OC at SC but has done a respectable job as East Carolina's HC. But on-average I wouldn't say mediocre or bad coordinators make good HC's. The aformentioned Stalineque qualities with assistants certainly don't help matters. You need to be smoove with somebody other than gullible kids.

I like Prince's ideas about building with defense and special-teams like Va Tech did, that style is suited to a team that won't get a lot of major talent. But Beamer has Bud Foster. Can Prince get and keep a guy of that quality? I doubt it.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Adelpiero wrote:will kansas st have a a full class of Juco's this year?

Snyder built that program on the backs of JUCOs and Oklahoma kids when OU was down. When OU brought in Bob Stoops and the Jenks/Tulsa Union/Lawton Ike pipeline went dry and returned to the Sooner fold the writting was on the wall for Snyder and he gracefully bowed out while he was still winning.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.