My New Kitchen?

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

My New Kitchen?

Post by indyfrisco »

Putting an offer on a house on Monday. Here's part of the kitchen.

Countertops are granite. Sink on island for processing of food as you prep. Double convection oven. Built in fridge and microwave. 6 Gas stovetop with vent hood. On other side of island there is a built in wine fridge. The little handle you see on the right of the island is a warming oven.

My fucking God this is my dream home. Dins, feel free to rip the Amish construction here to pieces. This is a kick ass piece of property.

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: My New Kitchen?

Post by Goober McTuber »

What's the price tag on that shack?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Nice kitchen. Those corbels gotta go though...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

That island is big enough to hold hockey games on.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goobs,

Let's just say I am getting a steal. [Zyclone]It was built 6 years ago for $985,000. My offer is going to be for about 2/3 of that which will be a slight bit less than it is currently listed for. 7400 sq. ft.[/Zyclone]

Some relocation firm owns it now and my realtor is also the selling realtor. She is a friend of ours and said they asked her on Jan 1. what it would take to move this house in 60 days or less. Of course, she said Price. I am going to steal this fucking thing. Back deck has a door to the Master which leads down to a built in hot tub. 4 fireplaces.

As you can tell, I'm pretty fucking excited. I have about 20 pics, but not posting anymore right now. Once the deal is sealed, we can play Cribs.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

trev wrote:Nice kitchen. Those corbels gotta go though...
Fuck, I didn't see that. Screw the house. :meds:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

You live in suburban Indy, right? Is that house in Carmel or Fishers?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

looks like the old Jenkins home. you know, where all those people got killed.

they say that you can still hear their screams coming from the hot tub.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sweet house.

Not familiar with your finances, nor are they my business, nor do I care...

But investing that much in a house during a time of depreciation probably isn't too wise.

Couldn't touch that house for $660K around here-btw.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Screw_Michigan wrote:You live in suburban Indy, right? Is that house in Carmel or Fishers?
Nah, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere in between Bloomington and Evansville. This house in Carmel or Fishers would be 2.5 mil.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Sweet house.

But investing that much in a house during a time of depreciation probably isn't too wise.

If that house was built for $985,000 six years ago, and he can buy it now for $660,000, I’d say it’s probably already been depreciated. Housing prices here have leveled off, and may take a slight downward turn, but in the long term they’ll head upward again.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:

If that house was built for $985,000 six years ago, and he can buy it now for $660,000, I’d say it’s probably already been depreciated. Housing prices here have leveled off, and may take a slight downward turn, but in the long term they’ll head upward again.
Eggsactly. A deal is a deal. It's the people who are ready to jump in in a down market who are the ones that end up making $$.

Same thing in the stock market. If you're in the market and haven't sold off stocks by now it's too late. Sell now and you're playing right into the manipulators' hands. If you think you can predict when an absolute trough is hit in any market you are fooling yourself. But then in the U&L I hear that the accepted strategery is "buy high - sell low"...whatever works I guess.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Eggsactly. A deal is a deal. It's the people who are ready to jump in in a down market who are the ones that end up making $$.

Same thing in the stock market. If you're in the market and haven't sold off stocks by now it's too late. Sell now and you're playing right into the manipulators' hands. If you think you can predict when an absolute trough is hit in any market you are fooling yourself. But then in the U&L I hear that the accepted strategery is "buy high - sell low"...whatever works I guess.
Then there’s the whole thing about getting real estate advice from someone who shares an apartment. With another man. Not that there's anyting wrong with that.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It's crazy how I learn something new about myself with such frequency on this board.

But I see you people are still idiots, as per usualm.

Housing is in steep decline where you live (not where I am, but I'm freaking special like that. But if you don't live in a metro area named Portland, Seattle, or Charlotte, it's in steep decline).

Since the market analysts don't know when the trend will stop, you sound like a chump (as per usualm) thinking you do.

While there's some serious deals to be had and some serious money to be made, is it worth your family's future to gamble on one particular property?

Really?

A much wiser move right now would be buying smaller properties and renting them out to offset the cost.

Buying an expensive property (and again, IF's finances aren't my problem or business, and for all I know, $660K might be chump change to him) in a market in decline (despite what the "it's bottomed out" tards say... the industry people aren't quite so convinced), is a poor financial decision.

But feel free to link up the financial guru that says "buy buy buy in this market!" Sure, there's a couple of fringe-scammers out there, I'm sure, but if your investment is also going to keep the rain off your familiy's head, it's probably a better idea to wait for some stability after the current correction.

Shit ain't rocket science -- and NASA thanks some of you for not applying for their positions.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Nobody said "buy buy buy”, just that a house that was built six years ago for $985,000, that probably appreciated to $1.1 or $1.2 million up till 2007, is probably a good buy at $660,000. Sounds like the current owner wants out in a hurry at about the worst possible time (for him).

Of course, housing is not in a steep decline where I live, it’s just kind of stagnant right now. But there’s still a constant influx of new residents moving in here, so yeah, the market will eventually start moving up again, now that the local developers have stopped building new houses at the same rate you spout bullshit with no backing.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:the same rate you spout bullshit with no backing.

http://www.investmenttools.com/median_a ... the_us.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US home prices underwent their steepest decline in history the end of last year.

There will always be deals to be had, but as a general rule, buying any investment when the trend is in a near-vertical drop isn't too wise.

Goober McTuber wrote: Of course, housing is not in a steep decline where I live, it’s just kind of stagnant right now.
http://www.wisconsin-realestate.com/art ... ilable.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If you own a home that's worth $600K and are looking to move, even in a declining market, and have a chance to sell it and buy a $600K home that's underpriced in the current market you may be better off jumping on the deal than staying put. Of course it depends on timing, closing costs and other factors, but I'm pretty sure that this sort of math is way too complex for Dins to figure out.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

What you guys may not have taken into account is that I live in a town of 11,000 people. The closest "large" city is Evansville, IN which has about 125k people.

So, the people who build homes like this in this area are few and far between. When homes like this go on sale, they sit on the market for a long time usually. The people who lived in this home have been out of it since October when they sold it to a relocaiton firm.

My agent is the listing agent as well, but she is also a friend. She said the relocating firm said to do what she needed to do to sell the home in 60 days or less. That was on Jan 1. They want out. My initial offer will be in the $575 range. I expect to either get laughed at or handed the keys damn near that price.

There's one caveat. My truck wil not fit in any of the 3 garages. Well, it fits in 1 of them, but I have to do a shitload of backing up and pulling in in order to do it. This is a main reason I think many people have passed on it. So, I am getting bids from contractors to build a second 2 car garage. It will have a basement with rear access so I can put my tractor, tools etc. in there. I'm guessing it'll be about $50k more for this garage.

If I can't get it around 575-600, I'm going to pass on it. If the home is still on the market in a month or two, I may come back with the same offer. I'm going to put $85k earnest money down so the seller knows I'm really committed to it, but like I said before, he may just laugh at me.

All in all, I seriously doubt this gem of a home will depreciate much more if at all. My guess its value will only increase...and much moreso once I get the additional garage in place. If I just drove a standard SUV like my wife, it would not be a problem. She'll eventually want one of those Yukon XL Denalis though and it would not fit comfortably.

I'll post some more pics...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Tiny ass driveway. As you can see, making the swing into the garage would be very tough with a bigger vehicle. Ford F150 Full Cab with Long Bed here...they intentionally cut off the picture on the right because that wall ends there.

Basement bar...purty nice. Why they went granite upstairs and formica in this beautiful bar is beyond me. Definitely one of the things I plan to fix in the future.

Wine Cellar...not a true "cellar" but it was damn cold in that room compared to the rest of the house which was set to 60 degrees.

Not a bad bathroom. Had a freaking wall shower. Gorgeous.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

How much property comes with it?

Around here that house would go for at least $2.5 mil even in a market that's in a vertical drop.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:the same rate you spout bullshit with no backing.

http://www.investmenttools.com/median_a ... the_us.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US home prices underwent their steepest decline in history the end of last year.

There will always be deals to be had, but as a general rule, buying any investment when the trend is in a near-vertical drop isn't too wise.

Goober McTuber wrote: Of course, housing is not in a steep decline where I live, it’s just kind of stagnant right now.
http://www.wisconsin-realestate.com/art ... ilable.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm only going by what people in the business are telling me. There has been a slight decline in prices here, by no means what you would call "steep". And there continues to be a steady influx of new residents who want to live here (probably fleeing from the U&L).

Of course, the city has taken note of the decline in housing prices and will probably have to back off on their standard 6-10% increase in assessments. They may even have to lower assessments in certain areas. Then they'll just j@ck the mill rates and our taxes will still go up.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:How much property comes with it?

Around here that house would go for at least $2.5 mil even in a market that's in a vertical drop.
There's about 1.5 acres. Not a lot, but I don't need much. About 400 yards behind the property line is woods. The other side of that is one of the best golf courses in southern indiana. I agree on the 2.5 as I stated above to someone else.

Like I said, it is a steal and a final destination for me. If I ever needed more than 7400 sq feet I am either Shawn Kemp or KCtrlPaula.

Oh, and there's another 1200 sq feet unfinished in the basement too.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

It wasn't meant to be. We offered, they countered, we countered back and then someone else came in and offered. We really low-balled them with a 560k offer. They countered 640k. We countered back 580k. All I know is that whoever else offered, they paid at least 610k. 600k was our cutoff since we have to add an 80k garage right away.

Fuck me. I really wanted this house, but I can build something damn fine for what I was willing to put into that one. Just not as big. Oh well. The day I "need" 8600 sq. ft. there's a problem.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:Fuck me. I really wanted this house, but I can build something damn fine for what I was willing to put into that one. Just not as big. Oh well.
Your wife/maid thanks you.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Same point my wife made. She was worried about keeping up with the house. I told her when she quit working that we fire the maid. She was worried about cleaning the monster.

I just fell in love with the kitchen. It was a fucking monster. A 950 sq ft kitchen and breakfast nook area had me at hello. In talking with my wife about it after the fact, she agreed that when we build, we will build that exact same kitchen or something similar. Now that this pipe dream is behind e, back to the same ole house. We'll probably wait another 2-3 years before building now. We just tried to get a steal in this home.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

One of my friends both makes really good money, and came into a huge chunk (he really appreciated the surgeon killing his dad to make a tee time).

Spent a year building a booyah house, just short of 8000sf, I believe. Really ritzy area in a rural-ish past of town. Spent about $1.5 mil building it, and some cali-jackass offered him $2.5 before it was even finished.

He was down. The wife/jailer decided that their "dream house" wasn't worth an extra mil in their pocket.

One of the dumber decisions he made (besides marrying her). After a couple of years, I forget the exact number he said he spent just cleaning the house and maintaining the grounds (the putting green in the lawn next to the waterfall is cool... which never gets used, but looks cool)... but I think he said he spends over $30K a year just in maids and landscape maintainence. I think he thinks the money would be better spent on the kids' future, but Spoiled Bitch won't have any part of moving.

Somewhere, there's a "be careful what you wish for" lesson in there, but I'm too lazy to find it.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I honestly can't imagine 8,000SF, or how much that would cost around here. There are SO MANY better ways to use money. I can't even imagine how big a family would have to be to need that kind of space.

That being said... that is one sweet kitchen. I'd definitely take it in a smaller house. Unfortunately, I can't even imagine what THAT would cost around here.

*sigh*
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Damn...I just read through this thread...tale of woe, my friend. It definitely sucks not getting a house you were geeked for. That kitchen looked sweet
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

PSUFAN wrote:Damn...I just read through this thread...tale of woe, my friend. It definitely sucks not getting a house you were geeked for. That kitchen looked sweet
I was a little bummed at first, but I got over it rather quickly. I would have to have added a detached garage right away. There was some driveway work I wanted to do as well. Both of those things would have cost me another 100k up front. That's why I tried to lowball them. If I was able to steal it I would have. At the very least, my wife and I both agreed we will be building an equally nice kitchen in the next house.

pp,

This house was a final destination for us. I would basically expect to live the next 50 years in this home. I have family in Texas that all likes to come up at once. I entertain a lot. And most of all, we have about 60 relatives that live here in this town who get together all the time for holidays and such. The square footage would have been used.

Is it needed? Hell no. I venture to geuss that less than 10% of the people in this country only live by what they need. Yeah, that was a lot of house, but we will do something much similar and probably in the 6000 sq ft. range which will still be ample and then some.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:This house was a final destination for us. I would basically expect to live the next 50 years in this home. I have family in Texas that all likes to come up at once. I entertain a lot. And most of all, we have about 60 relatives that live here in this town who get together all the time for holidays and such. The square footage would have been used.

Is it needed? Hell no. I venture to geuss that less than 10% of the people in this country only live by what they need. Yeah, that was a lot of house, but we will do something much similar and probably in the 6000 sq ft. range which will still be ample and then some.
6000 sq ft would be more than "ample" around these parts. My brother has 3 kids and is currently living in a 3000 sq ft place that they are absolutely swimming in. Personally, I'll be happy upgrading to a place with 2000 sq ft once my wife and I finish adding to the family. 6000 sq ft? Shit, you might just as well move into the Astrodome.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

That includes filled out basement BSmack. 6000 sq. ft sounds like a lot more than it really is. My idea of a basement is a bar, an extra bed/bathroom and a living area for TV and an area for pool and foosball. This is mostly for entertaining and also my nightly hideaway. This is all in about 2500 sq. ft. Base floor of the house will be 2500 sq ft. and that will include family room, dining room, master bed and bath and huge ass kitchen. Upstairs will be 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for the kids at about 1000 sq ft.

So, the vast majority of the time, living quarters will be confined to the 2500 sq ft. main level. That really is not "huge" by any means.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I have about 1800-2000 sq ft. Depends on how much knee wall you wanna count upstairs. zyclone and TiVO would probably call it 2200. And it's an older house that's not particularly well laid out.

It's plenty big enough for a family of 4.

I guess if I had complete throw away money, I might bump it up to 2800 or so, but 6000?

That is just assholes trying to keep up with the joneses. Makes about as much sense as driving that denali to the hair salon.

Now garage space is another story. A proper garage should be 3 car or better.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

smackaholic wrote:assholes trying to keep up with the joneses.
pray for them
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackaholic wrote:I have about 1800-2000 sq ft. Depends on how much knee wall you wanna count upstairs. zyclone and TiVO would probably call it 2200. And it's an older house that's not particularly well laid out.

It's plenty big enough for a family of 4.

I guess if I had complete throw away money, I might bump it up to 2800 or so, but 6000?

That is just assholes trying to keep up with the joneses. Makes about as much sense as driving that denali to the hair salon.

Now garage space is another story. A proper garage should be 3 car or better.
Dude, I gotta have room for one of these. Since leaving Texas and moving to Indiana, by the time I get my fucking game back in shape (sans the coons), it is time to store the clubs again.

Here is a training room I actually built at the Country Club so we can go hit balls in the winter. I want the video game version in my house though.