hawaii: national champions

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M Club
el capitán

hawaii: national champions

Post by M Club »

first of all, hawaii should be invited to the bcs championship. this is different than last year when boise state was undefeated and didn't receive consideration b/c we were talking about an undefeated ohio state that just beat the #2 team in the country and other one-loss teams. now we have a host of two-loss teams claiming they're the best. eh? two-losses. what sort of national champion wins a big trophy by beating a three-loss team? [obvious osu caveat.] the problem is hawaii wouldn't be considered even if we were talking about which three-loss team deserved consideration.

since they're obviously not going to be allowed to play for a national championship, it should be awarded to them if they win their bcs game. [obvious osu caveat.] the fucker's a farce this year anyway, and if hawaii beats a two-loss team who has just as much argument to the bcs game as any other two-loss team, then they've proved themselves without losing a single game. obvious meatgrinder counter-arguments, yeah, but is there really a team that's separated itself from the others enough to be called a national champion? [obvious osu caveat.]
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

you look sexy in that OSU shirt

sin

Mrs. Dragon

;)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Logically, you're right although this argument didn't work last year with Boise State or before that with Utah. A team that goes undefeated in D-IA should (technically) play for a national title. If the regular season is supposed to mean anything, you reward teams that win every game and not just reward those who post very good seasons against a tough schedule. Schedules across the board need to be balanced out so we don't hear the same talk every year that any small conference team that goes undefeated is just thrown out because of who they played.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

If the game could be moved to Hawaii it could be interesting, probably the strongest home-field advantage in the country.

If Hawaii had any name noncon-wins I'd definitely support them playing for it all. Too bad Washington was meh this year.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

peter dragon wrote:you look sexy in that OSU shirt

sin

Mrs. Dragon

;)
ich liebe frau dragon.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote:Logically, you're right although this argument didn't work last year with Boise State or before that with Utah. A team that goes undefeated in D-IA should (technically) play for a national title. If the regular season is supposed to mean anything, you reward teams that win every game and not just reward those who post very good seasons against a tough schedule. Schedules across the board need to be balanced out so we don't hear the same talk every year that any small conference team that goes undefeated is just thrown out because of who they played.
last year we weren't arguing about a glut of teams with two losses. michigan and florida, that's it. now miss state has a legitimate claim to the mnc b/c it plays in the sec. unless osu wins, we're going to we're going to have some two-loss teams after the bowl season with as much claim to the national championship aside from the fact they weren't picked to play in a game that decides an arbitrary champion.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

I agree with M. If Hawaii wins their BCS game, especially if they do so convincingly, they should be National Champs. Because at that point the "they haven't played anybody" argument is moot, and their unbeaten season is ratified as legit by the bowl win.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Jsc810 wrote:Horseshit. The winner of the BCS title game is the national champion.
Sincerely,

Kirk (BCS) Honkstreit.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

USC got a share of the championship without playing in the BCS-championship.

If(big freaking if) Hawaii wins their bowl I wouldn't have a problem with them getting national champ-votes.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

For all the crying about SOS in here....M Club can't see the forest for the trees.

Just because you go undefeated does not mean shit when you do not play anyone.

How do you justify that? You can't.

CLose this thread.....its dead.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Now that's funny....why? because they never played anyone of even that quality of opponent.....

(image of hunter shooting bird in the air then bird falling to the ground)

dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

Jsc810 wrote:With as much shit as has been said here about strength of schedule this year, how could you claim that a team with a schedule like this belongs in the title game?

at UNLV 49-14 W

Sure, they're undefeated, so put them in a BCS bowl like Boise St. last year. But not in the title game.

Here we go;

Hawaii beat UNLV who beat Utah who beat UCLA who beat Cal who beat Tennessee in week 1. Everyone knows that the SEC is the toughest conf. in the nation, so if Hawaii can beat a team who beat a team who beat a team who in turn beat a team from the SEC in week 1, there is no way they should be locked out of the BCS title game.

Edit - Plus, my buddy went to Hawaii, so I am kinda rooting for them. :lol:
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

88 wrote:
T REX wrote:Now that's funny....why? because they never played anyone of even that quality of opponent.....

(image of hunter shooting bird in the air then bird falling to the ground)
Hawaii bitch-slapped Boise State, which Sagarin has rated ahead of both Kentucky and Arkansas (PREDICTOR).

Your bird just got up, walked around behind your hunter, pulled down his pants, and fucked him in the ass, dog.
BUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

So you pull Boise out? Wow.....the bird fell for the fake hunter cutout then the hunter just machete said bird....

Boise? Not only that....it was at Hawaii......nevermind.....

You've already lost this one. Damn, do you look stupid sticking up for Hawaii......yeah, great schedule......oh, its OSU fan sticking up for someone else's shit schedule?

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Fan of team with 60th ranked SOS trying to validate team with 137th ranked schedule on same sag ratings.

STFU@!!!!!!!

No really....shut your fucking piehole........thanks for the link asshole.

You're up.....

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

T REX wrote:For all the crying about SOS in here....M Club can't see the forest for the trees.
all your myopia and you're accusing me of failing to see the forest for the trees? my point, which is rather obvious, is that there aren't two or three teams that are flat out better than the others, which is the point of declaring a national champion. why pretend otherwise? that's why i say give hawaii their shot, though i say so tongue-in-cheek. it's not my fault you're so retarded you can't figure that out.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Sudden Sam wrote:Hawaii couldn't beat Mississippi.
that's b/c mississippi would need five games to win the big ten and another six to win the big xii.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

M Club wrote:
T REX wrote:For all the crying about SOS in here....M Club can't see the forest for the trees.
all your myopia and you're accusing me of failing to see the forest for the trees? my point, which is rather obvious, is that there aren't two or three teams that are flat out better than the others, which is the point of declaring a national champion. why pretend otherwise? that's why i say give hawaii their shot, though i say so tongue-in-cheek. it's not my fault you're so retarded you can't figure that out.
Sure pal.....137th SOS......where the hypocrite posse.....check out their OOC......nah.....don't bother.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:I agree with M. If Hawaii wins their BCS game, especially if they do so convincingly, they should be National Champs. Because at that point the "they haven't played anybody" argument is moot, and their unbeaten season is ratified as legit by the bowl win.
It's moot because they would have played 1 decent team during the season and one in the bowl game?

They've had a great year, but the "they haven't played anybody" arguement is a very vaild one. They got Boise State at home and Boise State lost a game against their only BCS opponent (Washington). The resume's of the Top 10 in the BCS are much more impressive than what Hawaii has done.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

The SOS comments would be valid but Kansas was ranked in the top 2 at one point.

If Kansas can be ranked in the top 2 with a weak schedule, why not Hawaii.

I would understand the arguement against Hawaii if all these teams had one loss with tougher scedules but we are talking about two loss teams.

SOS should go out the window when you got two losses and another team is undefeated.

Look at this possibility:
Hawaii beats Georgia
VT beats Kansas
LSU beats OSU

Hawaii undefeated
Zero one loss teams
LSU, VT, OU/WV, OSU, Kansas, Mizzou, ect. have two losses

If these were one loss or undefeated teams, I would agree that Hawaii doesnt belong in the championship picture
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MuchoBulls wrote:They've had a great year, but the "they haven't played anybody" arguement is a very vaild one. They got Boise State at home and Boise State lost a game against their only BCS opponent (Washington). The resume's of the Top 10 in the BCS are much more impressive than what Hawaii has done.
i'm not so concerned about their resume. i know getting through a bcs conference with a loss or two is generally more impressive than getting through the wac undefeated, but there's a glut of two-loss teams with a legitimate claim to bcs #2. it's an entirely arbitrary process to decide who gets to play for the national championship, let alone deciding one. i'll watch the game b/c i like college football and it's a great matchup, but i won't pretend it's the equivalent of a championship. [i'm not necessarily a proponent of a playoff, but this year's absolutely fucked in this regard.]

that's why i think, fuck it, let hawaii play ohio state. boise state was the undefeated wac rep last year and handled a two-loss oklahoma. the difference this year is that a two-loss team gets to play for the national championship.