Recycle much?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Recycle much?

Post by War Wagon »

KC started a curbside recycling program a few years back after many years of haggling and debating over whether it was feasible it not. It's turned out to be win/win for both the city and the company who's contracted to manage the pick-up, sorting, etc.

People are now like, "why the fuck did we wait so damn long to get this started"? For the Wags crew, we now generate less than half the amount of trash that goes into the landfill, and the rest is all recycled. And it's not hard to do.

Problem here is that KC is still the only area municipality that's bought into the program on a residential basis, and we only account for about 25% of the approx. two million mouth breathers in the greater KC metro area.

It's a problem because the largest landfill around these parts is going to be full in less than 20 years at the current rate.

And you know what's ironic? Some of the other "progressive" towns surrounding KC have enacted smoking bans in all public places, like restaurants and bars, and are wagging their fingers at KC because it hasn't done so yet. Yes, these fucks are quite content to legislate what private business owners are permitted to allow in their establishments, yet are quite loathe to address such a difficult issue like community wide recycling.

Anyways, I was curious how some other major cities around the country are handling this issue?
Moving Sale

Re: Recycle much?

Post by Moving Sale »

War Wagon wrote:People are now like, "why the fuck did we wait so damn long to get this started"?
Because you live near a bunch of fucktards?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:Some of the other "progressive" towns surrounding KC...
Would these be the same kind of "progressive" places that still think the jury is out on evolution?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

War Wagon wrote:KC started a curbside recycling program a few years back after many years of haggling and debating over whether it was feasible it not. It's turned out to be win/win for both the city and the company who's contracted to manage the pick-up, sorting, etc.

People are now like, "why the fuck did we wait so damn long to get this started"? For the Wags crew, we now generate less than half the amount of trash that goes into the landfill, and the rest is all recycled. And it's not hard to do.

Problem here is that KC is still the only area municipality that's bought into the program on a residential basis, and we only account for about 25% of the approx. two million mouth breathers in the greater KC metro area.

It's a problem because the largest landfill around these parts is going to be full in less than 20 years at the current rate.

And you know what's ironic? Some of the other "progressive" towns surrounding KC have enacted smoking bans in all public places, like restaurants and bars, and are wagging their fingers at KC because it hasn't done so yet. Yes, these fucks are quite content to legislate what private business owners are permitted to allow in their establishments, yet are quite loathe to address such a difficult issue like community wide recycling.

Anyways, I was curious how some other major cities around the country are handling this issue?
It's just too bad that 50 percent of the refuse you generate here can't be recycled. The internet might last longer.

It's all Whiteys fault
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote: Would these be the same kind of "progressive" places that still think the jury is out on evolution?
No, that would be the State legislators in Topeka.

Bri, don't hijack the topic with that dead horse.

Does Rochester have a city wide recycling program?
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

BSmack wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Some of the other "progressive" towns surrounding KC...
Would these be the same kind of "progressive" places that still think the jury is out on evolution?

No, that would be Kansas, Bri.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I can’t remember how long we’ve been recycling here, been quite a while. A couple of years back they somewhat automated the pickup process with special containers provided by the city that are picked up by a giant arm on the garbage truck that picks them up and dumps them in the truck. Saves about $500,000 per year in work comp claims.

Hey Whitey, props for to you for designating everyone in your immediate area as “mouthbreathers”. Y'all seen these flush toilets yet?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

This part of Tejas doesn't seem to differentiate between an aluminum can, a milk carton or a naugahyde sofa that's been urinated on by a bum. It's ALL trash to them.

On the flip side, everywhere I've lived in CA has had recycling programs in place for decades. Similar to your situation, most started it not out of devout hippiness and a love of Phish, but because they landfills were filling up awfull damn quick.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

We've been recycling for decades here in NY. I will hold my opinion until I hear from Greg Oden and/or Dinsdale.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

we have recycling here, sorta. they give you a shitty little green plastic container to put a weeks worth of plastic/newspaper/cardboard into.

so, it gets a handful of shit dumped into it so that a ginourmous diesel fume spewing recycle truck can come around and pick it up. it makes the greenie hippie types feel goos, but, it is a fukking joke.

for the rather small amount of shit we generate weekly, it is more efficient to dump it all into one big can so one big truck can pick it up and haul it to a facility that can actually sort shit out in an automated efficient way. these things aer pretty good at fishing out the plastic and metals and burning to produce electricity. And they burn at a high enough temp that they are pretty eco friendly.

there are a few things worth sorting out ahead of time for recycle. aluminum is the number one and possibly the only one.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:
BSmack wrote:Would these be the same kind of "progressive" places that still think the jury is out on evolution?
No, that would be the State legislators in Topeka.

Bri, don't hijack the topic with that dead horse.
Sorry, it's just when hearing the word "progressive" applied to any area of Missouri, the mind immediately starts to wonder exactly what the standard for said "progressivism" really is. Seems like it's been all downhill for MO since Harry S. Truman.
Does Rochester have a city wide recycling program?
There's a region wide recycling program that's been around for 20 years. In fact, there's not a county in New York that doesn't have a recycling program of some kind. Even up in the Adirondacks, the town dumps make you use clear plastic bags so they can verify if you've been separating your garbage.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

BSmack wrote: Seems like it's been all downhill for MO since Harry S. Truman.
Maybe so, but last Saturday was pretty good for them.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Degenerate wrote:
I hope that was worth 350 million to Jackson County.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Big blue can that we dump all paper, plastic and aluminum into, ever since we moved here 8 years ago. It gets picked up by one of those trucks where the operator doesn't have to do anything but sit back and pull the levers.

We also have a separate pickup each week for "green waste" (yard, garden and agricultural waste). We have a limit of 10 large bags or bins per week. I've got a chipper shredder ('sup Fargo) and prefer to keep stuff that grew in my yard in my yard. Weeds and fountain grass cuttings (death for the chipper shredder) go out to the curb. Oops we don't have a curb - make that down to the bottom of the hill.

In Nevada we had three little bins about the size of milk crates and we were supposed to sort the shit into them.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Rank and file Americans will only recycle if it's convenient.....or requires little effort. The city picks up recyclables but I'm not in the city limit so I have to make....a little effort. Luckily, it's only a mile away and on the way to work so when the bins get filled, I take 'em in. Amazing how much recyclable trash one guy can generate.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:I will hold my opinion until I hear from Greg Oden and/or Dinsdale.

You're kidding, right?

We don't exactly "have" recycling programs -- we invented the shit. And we do it at a greater rate than you do(according to the most recent numbers... and by "you," I mean "everyone").

The nation's first post WWII "recycling program" that didn't involve simply selling scrap to recyclers(which they've been doing with car batteries for the better part of a century, which are still BY FAR the most recycled consumer product -- because it's actually cost/energy efficient to do so, unlike the curbside crap), was the Oregon Bottle Bill of 1971. Ever since then, other places are in a race to try and catch up to the U&L Capital in the waste management department. Now there's a unique regional government for the tri-counties(where well over half the people in the state live) that deals with waste management, recycling, they'll take your hazardous waste off your hands free of charge/no questions asked, and they used resources from such a large population to come up with one monstrous landfill that isn't ever going to get anywhere near full(and with nothing short of BODEness, it's well over 100 miles away). Of course, that same do-gooder regional government(only one like it in the country), tells you what you can do with your land and what you can build on it... which is kind of punk, but keeps the traffic down, I guess.

OF COURSE... if communities would stop passing these government subsidized recycling programs, the free market would figure out a much better use for those recyclables... but whatever. If the government has to pay someone to haul it off, it's not saving any energy or resources.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:OF COURSE... if communities would stop passing these government subsidized recycling programs, the free market would figure out a much better use for those recyclables... but whatever. If the government has to pay someone to haul it off, it's not saving any energy or resources.
Yea, far better to wait until the landfills are full so we can let the "free market" take care of things.

How's that working for our energy policy?

:lol:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dinsdale wrote:OF COURSE... if communities would stop passing these government subsidized recycling programs, the free market would figure out a much better use for those recyclables... but whatever. If the government has to pay someone to haul it off, it's not saving any energy or resources.
Rack it!

I went to Moody Gardens in Galveston and watched one of those huge 3D videos about the Ocean a few years ago and at the end of the program, the narrator gave the closing statement about global warming and recycling. That's great, but that big fucking TV screen and the energy being used to give us that message is probably a participant in that very problem.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:Yea, far better to wait until the landfills are full so we can let the "free market" take care of things.

Oh, I forgot -- you're a nanny-stater who won't do anything until the government tells you to.

How's that working for our energy policy?

Dude -- if you honestly believe that recycling curbside uses less energy, you're a fucking rube.

I guess it's just too hard for some people to swallow that Big Government actually taxes you to consume MORE energy and resources in the interest of a short-term gain in the Department of Warm Fuzzy Feel Good Stories.

BASIC. FUCKING. FACT... if it took less energy and petroleum to recycle a milk jug than it did to make a new one -- guess fucking what? Milk jug recyclers would be begging you for your old ones. As it is, the government taxes you to have it hauled away and waste energy and resources with it. Sorry if the same rules of business/human behavior/common sense don't jibe with your nanny-state views, but it's the truth.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I went to Moody Gardens in Galveston and watched one of those huge 3D videos about the Ocean a few years ago and at the end of the program, the narrator gave the closing statement about global warming and recycling. That's great, but that big fucking TV screen and the energy being used to give us that message is probably a participant in that very problem.

Great. I suppose next, you'll tell us that Al Gore flying around the world telling everyone else to use less energy is counterproductive, too?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:How's that working for our energy policy?
Dude -- if you honestly believe that recycling curbside uses less energy, you're a fucking rube.
WTF does what I posted about our national energy policy being non existent thanks to those who would favor the free market's ability to resolve the issue have to do with curbside recycling using less energy? Is it asking too much that you be able to follow along?

Here's the fundamental problem with your free market panacea. Problems on the macro level get ignored because business people think on the micro level. Need an example? See Passenger Pigeons. Need another? See the defoliation of the Amazon rain forest.
I guess it's just too hard for some people to swallow that Big Government actually taxes you to consume MORE energy and resources in the interest of a short-term gain in the Department of Warm Fuzzy Feel Good Stories.

BASIC. FUCKING. FACT... if it took less energy and petroleum to recycle a milk jug than it did to make a new one -- guess fucking what? Milk jug recyclers would be begging you for your old ones. As it is, the government taxes you to have it hauled away and waste energy and resources with it. Sorry if the same rules of business/human behavior/common sense don't jibe with your nanny-state views, but it's the truth.
BASIC. FUCKING. FACT... energy and petrol use are only one part of the cost equation. They are also only one part of the environmental impact equation.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

When I was a kid, Syracuse China near me paid $1 for 100 pounds of bundled clean,dry newspaper. They shreaded it and used it to pack the china in cartons for shipment. A few of us kids got a big hand cart and would go all over the North Side on Saturdays picking up papers from houses. We did well, buying camping equipment with the money.
At college, I'd go to the dorm TV rooms in the morning and pick up all the soda bottles for the return money. Made enough to keep me in ciggies and beer(remember 25¢ a pack ?). Pissed off the janitors to no end.
NY, after passing the bottle law, I'd save up about a month's worth and take them over to a small business in town that dealt with them. No way would I stand pumping beer cans into one of those machines at the stores.
I've always recycled at my house, whatever was asked. Here I have two blue bins: one for paper & cardboard, the other for bottles, cans, and empty Beast Lights !
I see no problem with it all.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

War Wagon wrote: For the Wags crew, we now generate less than half the amount of trash that goes into the landfill, and the rest is all recycled.
Wanna take a guess where all the shit that isn't metal or glass gets sent to be recycled?

It's called... the landfill!
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

During WW2 (what my generation calls "The War") they had pick ups of empty cans. This was before the aluminum can. I remember as a little kid stopping on the cans to flatten them after the tops and bottoms had been inserted inside.
Most of things like that just ended up in the dump (before they were called landfills). The idea I guess was to make us folks on the "home front" feel like we were helping to fight the war.
I remember bringing my pennies to school to "kill the Japs" ! The copper was needed for shell casings.
Did anyone besides Dinsdale know that the silver in the US Treasury was used to make wire for the production of the atomic bombs ? Copper was to scarce and actually silver made a better conductor.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:That defoliation you weep over was the result of Brazil's "national energy policy" mandating energy independence which they have achieved through massive use of biofuels.

Dude -- don't get me started.

The "national energy policies" are an instrument of Darwin -- I just didn't figure that Brazil would be the first to step into Darwin's Meatgrinder.

OK, dipshits... it shouldn't even need saying, but rampant dumbfuckery dictates a mention -- the world's energy and environmental problems are due to one root cause... overpopulation.

And how are Brazil and other do-gooders/Gore brainwashees solving it?

By deciding that's it's a good idea to convert much of the world's food-producing resources to making fuels.(BTW - how you fertilizing that shit? With nitrogen? Way to crank out the "greenhouse gasses" at a record clip, dipshits.)

Pure. Fucking. Genius.

But, I gotta RACK it -- Darwin was a little slow getting out of the gate here... putting food into your car instead of your stomach just gave him the turnover, with the ball in his opponent's redzone.

Leave it to Big Government to fuck up something as simple as which hole you put food into.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Cuda wrote:
Wanna take a guess where all the shit that isn't metal or glass gets sent to be recycled?

It's called... the landfill!
So Coods, you're saying that paper, plastic, and cardboard aren't actually recycled. That it's just a giant hoax that we'd go to the trouble of separating it, having it picked up by separate trucks, etc.

Is that what you're saying?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Your reading comprehension is improving, Wags.

Even with the fact that the recyclers are getting paid to take the paper, plastic & cardboard, they still can't afford to make more than a small percentage of it into "recycled" products- so at least 90% of it goes straight to the landfill with all the other garbage.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Leave it to Big Government to fuck up something as simple as which hole you put food into.
I’ve seen videos that starred a cucumber and a petite blonde (in that order), and saw no mention of Big Government.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Cuda wrote:Even with the fact that the recyclers are getting paid to take the paper, plastic & cardboard, they still can't afford to make more than a small percentage of it into "recycled" products- so at least 90% of it goes straight to the landfill with all the other garbage.
You got a link for that stat Cooter?

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:videos that starred a cucumber and a petite blonde
That was invented in the U&L you know.
I knew that. It goes back to the early 70’s when there was a severe shortage of dill and vinegar. Very resourceful, them U&L gals.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Cuda wrote:Even with the fact that the recyclers are getting paid to take the paper, plastic & cardboard, they still can't afford to make more than a small percentage of it into "recycled" products- so at least 90% of it goes straight to the landfill with all the other garbage.
Yeah, I'd like to see that one as well.

I'd say that there's a greater than 90% chance that Coods is full of shit.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Try http://www.gooberblowsgoatsforfunandprofit.com
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Cuda wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Try http://www.gooberblowsgoatsforfunandprofit.com
In other words you're full of shit. Whitey was right. That's gotta hurt.

warren

Post by warren »

Dinsdale wrote:
mvscal wrote:That defoliation you weep over was the result of Brazil's "national energy policy" mandating energy independence which they have achieved through massive use of biofuels.

Dude -- don't get me started.

The "national energy policies" are an instrument of Darwin -- I just didn't figure that Brazil would be the first to step into Darwin's Meatgrinder.

OK, dipshits... it shouldn't even need saying, but rampant dumbfuckery dictates a mention -- the world's energy and environmental problems are due to one root cause... overpopulation.

And how are Brazil and other do-gooders/Gore brainwashees solving it?

By deciding that's it's a good idea to convert much of the world's food-producing resources to making fuels.(BTW - how you fertilizing that shit? With nitrogen? Way to crank out the "greenhouse gasses" at a record clip, dipshits.)

Pure. Fucking. Genius.

But, I gotta RACK it -- Darwin was a little slow getting out of the gate here... putting food into your car instead of your stomach just gave him the turnover, with the ball in his opponent's redzone.

Leave it to Big Government to fuck up something as simple as which hole you put food into.
Fucking RACK! All this time I thought you were a dipshit and now I know you're at least an intelligent dipshit.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

We now have 3 Garbage Trucks running the same route that one used to. Yes we recycle here but we use triple the diesel fuel to save landfill space. Since the feds were going to levy all kinds of outrageous penalties if a "voluntary" program wasn't started the city took the fuel and start-up costs and called it a wash.

On a side note, it's always pure entertainment to watch an 80 year old lady battle 3 huge trash containers, that must "by a new city law" be stowed out of sight by the next day.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

BSmack wrote:
Degenerate wrote:
I hope that was worth 350 million to Jackson County.
Trust me, it was.
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RevLimiter wrote:
BSmack wrote:I hope that was worth 350 million to Jackson County.
Trust me, it was.
Not as much as 350 million in literacy and obesity prevention programs.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

BSmack wrote:
RevLimiter wrote:
BSmack wrote:I hope that was worth 350 million to Jackson County.
Trust me, it was.
Not as much as 350 million in literacy and obesity prevention programs.
I'm guessing that cesspool of a state you live in could use that too.
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RevLimiter wrote:I'm guessing that cesspool of a state you live in could use that too.
Someone from Missouri calling New York a cesspool?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Considering KFC Paul’s posting history, it seems only fitting that he’d be posting in a recycling thread.