Top 15 Poll (through Week 6)

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Shoalzie
WingNut

Top 15 Poll (through Week 6)

Post by Shoalzie »

Another fun week of highly ranked teams going down and seasons being ruined...Florida is officially done now with 2 losses and USC, Kentucky, Wisconsin join the growing group of one loss teams. I've got 9 of the 10 remaining unbeatens in my poll this week with UConn being the only other unbeaten in D-IA.

1. LSU (last week: 1)
2. California (last week: 3)
3. Ohio State (last week: 5)
4. Boston College (last week: 6)
5. South Florida (last week: 5)
6. South Carolina (last week: 10)
7. Oregon (last week: 12)
8. Virginia Tech (last week: 13)
9. Oklahoma (last week: 14)
10. Missouri (last week: 15)
11. West Virginia (last week: 16)
12. USC (last week: 2)
13. Cincinnati (last week: unranked)
14. Arizona State (last week: unranked)
15. Hawaii (last week: unranked)
(16. Illinois - last week: unranked)

Out of poll:
Wisconsin (last week: 4)
Kentucky (last week: 7)
Florida (last week: 9)
Georgia (last week: 11)
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Interesting.....UF plays the number ONE team within 4 points on the road.....so you are saying UF couldn't beat any of your top 16?

Just curious.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

1 LSU
2 Cal
3 Ohio St
4 South Florida
5 Boston College
6 Oregon
7 Oklahoma
8 USC
9 South Carolina
10 West Virginia
11 Missouri
12 Virginia Tech
13 Florida
14 Cincinnati
15 Illinois
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You should be rewarded for who you beat, not who you lose to, and you certainly shouldn't be rewarded for who "you might be able to beat." Comprising a set of rankings based on teams you haven't played probably isn't a good formula, JSC.

In any event, I kept UF in my top 15 based on talent alone. They would compete and be in the game with anybody.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

1. LSU
2. Cal
3. Ohio State
4. South Florida
5. BC
6. OU
7. Oregon
8. USC
9. WV
10. South Carolina
11. Cinci
12. Mizzou
13. Va Tech
14. Ill
15. Fla
16. Zona State
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

1 LSU
2 Cal
3 tOSU
4 BC
5 USF
6 Oklahoma
7 Oregon
8 South Carolina
9 USC
10 UF

After this I believe it is pretty much 11a-11z.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:You should be rewarded for who you beat, not who you lose to, and you certainly shouldn't be rewarded for who "you might be able to beat." Comprising a set of rankings based on teams you haven't played probably isn't a good formula, JSC.
Careful, that take might cause T-rex's head to explode.

Interesting how eveyone has a 1 loss team like OU in the Top 10 when they lost to a doormat like Colorado. Yeah, they just beat Tejas by a TD. Big deal, that. Texas got stomped by K-State in their own backyard, who then went on to get punked in their backyard by a Mangina led Jaysquawk squad.

Meanwhile, it's good to see Mizzou getting some love. I guess we'll find out next Saturday if they deserve it. I say they do. That game last night wasn't a fluke.

The torch is in the process of being passed.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Can't see Mizzou winning that game. But, it was a good run while it lasted...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I can.

Excuse the lame cliche, but they've got "The Eye of the Tiger".

You're probably not going to excuse that.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Still too early for polls.

Chaos out front should have told you.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

War Wagon wrote:Excuse the lame cliche, but they've got "The Eye of the Tiger".
Could've been worse. I thought you were going to say "They've got that IT factor."

Which is by far the most annoying buzz phrase in the sports world today.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WolverineSteve wrote:Still too early for polls.

This is for fun, Steve. Lighten up. Our opinions have no effect on the actual outcome.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dang, Oregon moved up a bunch of spots during a bye week, after laying an egg the week before.

Hell, I'm an Oregon homer, through and through, and even I'd have a tough time keeping a straight face ranking them ahead of Florida.

Not saying it can't happen down the road, but something will have to happen that changes my impression of one or the other or both.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

1 - LSU
2 - CAL
3 - Ohio State
4 - Boston College
5 - South Florida
6 - Oklahoma
7 - South Carolina
8 - Missouri
9 - Cincinnati
10 - WVU
11 - USC
12 - Oregon
13 - Florida
14 - Kentucky
15 - Virginia Tech
16 - Arizona State
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Nah, no tears will be shed for UF. They lost at home to an unranked team. Then they blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead the next week. They're where they should be. They've had their chances and now they're getting over-taken. Afterall, it's a "playoff," right Dins?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Nah, no tears will be shed for UF. They lost at home to an unranked team. Then they blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead the next week. They're where they should be. They've had their chances and now they're getting over-taken. Afterall, it's a "playoff," right Dins? You gotta win if you want to advance.

That's exactly how I look at it...a two-loss team right now is out of the title hunt. Florida probably still is one of the 15 best teams but I consider these rankings as a pecking order of who most deserves a title shot. One loss teams aren't out of it entirely but you still have an unbeaten LSU, Cal, Ohio State, Boston College and South Florida to account for. Those five should be considered the top 5 teams in America until any of them lose. Missouri enters the mix with a win over Oklahoma this week.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Shoalzie wrote:
That's exactly how I look at it...a two-loss team right now is out of the title hunt. Florida probably still is one of the 15 best teams but I consider these rankings as a pecking order of who most deserves a title shot. One loss teams aren't out of it entirely but you still have an unbeaten LSU, Cal, Ohio State, Boston College and South Florida to account for. Those five should be considered the top 5 teams in America until any of them lose. Missouri enters the mix with a win over Oklahoma this week.

Ding Ding Ding Ding
E UNUM PLURIBUS
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Shoalzie wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Nah, no tears will be shed for UF. They lost at home to an unranked team. Then they blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead the next week. They're where they should be. They've had their chances and now they're getting over-taken. Afterall, it's a "playoff," right Dins? You gotta win if you want to advance.

Oh....so a team that has basically played no one but happens to be undefeated should be ranked higher than a team that actually may play some tough teams????

Beautiful....

Team A goes undefeated with the 75th rated schedule(played one team in the top 25, none in the top ten) while Team B plays 3rd ranked schedule(6 top 25 teams and 2 in the top ten) and has one loss......

Who is the better team?

Florida has a lot of work to do but they're right there. The defense is too young but learning.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

You're probably still one of the better teams in America but you have 2 losses. For all intensive purposes, you're done. Does it matter where you're ranked?
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

remember Auburn did lose to Miss St at home...yes they beat FLA...but also remember FLA had control of the LSU game until they imploded in the 4th quarter...great game...but I agree with Shoalize...you have 2 losses...why should a 2 loss team be ranked ahead of an undefeated team or a 1 loss team? If that is the case then why aren't the pollsters or coaches seeing it that way...

look FLA is a good offensive team but a young defensive team...they will rebound and should still potentially be in the thick of the SEC east right? Why are you so hung up on this? Did you have a problem last week when FLA dropped and USF, BC, etc moved ahead of them...fuck Kentucky was ranked ahead of them and who the fuck have they beaten?

this is why we need a playoff...say UF with 2 losses qualified for a playoff...I know I wouldn't necessarily want to play them the first round...

the ship will right itself by the end of the year but you guys lost so much on defense...just chill with how people vote...
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

1 LSU
2 CAL - is an m2oool sighting not far off
3 tOSU
4 USF
5 BC
6 Missouri
7 OU
8 South Carolina
9 Cincy
10 USC
11 WVU
12 Arizona State
13 Va Tech
14 Oregon
15 Illinois

others UF, Sconsin, Auburn
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The AP poll is out...Florida falls to #13. There's no argument that they are the best 2-loss team in the country but that's really no better than being the best 3 or 4-loss team. If we had a playoff system and 8 or 16 teams compete, I say Florida could be a factor but when this system boils down to the two best teams...does it many anything to be ranked #3, #13 or #23? Right now, the two teams to watch are LSU and Cal.

Other polls: USA Today, Florida is #14 and Harris, Florida is #13.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

T REX wrote:Team A goes undefeated with the 75th rated schedule(played one team in the top 25, none in the top ten) while Team B plays 3rd ranked schedule(6 top 25 teams and 2 in the top ten) and has one loss......
Ummm, except Florida has two losses, not one.

Not to mention, not everyone else believes the rest of the top ten hasn't played anyone, just because YOU SAY SO.

If UF is a one loss team, with their only loss being @ LSU, then I could understand the complaints. But you just can't argue your way out of this one. They have two losses, one of which was AT HOME to a very mediocre, unranked Auburn team. That isn't top ten material.

Besides, I see no reason UF should get the "benefit of the doubt" factor because they've shown they're quite beatable on more than one occasion. Their signature win is over an up-and-down Tennessee team. UF is a decent, talented squad but they're not top ten material. And I can't believe we're even having this conversation.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Fuck you all.....I MORE THAN KNOW that UF is out the title hunt....so why not just do a TOP TWO.....if its who cares if you are #3, #13, or #23 why list it?

But you can't honestly tell me that UF isn't one of the top 15 teams in the country and not having them on your list is bullshit.

The example I gave HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH UF BUT THE STUPID REASONING BEHIND IT.

Furthermore...where did I say UF should be ranked TOP TEN??? NO where......fucking morons....

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

aren't you the one who always says this is a message board and not to take what people think seriously...if so follow your own fucking advice or take your ball and go home...

so what we vote for top 15...if we made it 16 and we included UF would that make you feel better? I mean all of us have UF somewhere right where the pollsters and fucking coaches have them...

sour grapes? I mean just because UF melted in the 4th don't fucking come in here and spew your garbage about how we know nothing...I watched the game and the fucking Auburn game...is UF a top 15-20 team based on ranking? YES...are they a top 10 based on talent? YES...but they have 2 fucking losses one of which was at home to a team that lost to Miss FUCKING STATE for cryin out loud...

we vote or give our opinions the way we want and how do you like to say it...DEAL WITH IT...
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

HAHA...trixie is melting

melt
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Shoalzie, you're making some great points here, but in fairness, I have to point out . . .
Shoalzie wrote:For all intensive purposes
Once :dins: gets a hold of that one, that one is destined to go down with barren down the hatches, self of steam, etc. . . . Sayin'.

Btw, it's for all intents and purposes.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Oh boy...thanks for the warning. :x

To be honest, I've never seen that phrase 'written out' before...that's what I've always thought it was. If Dinsy wants to murder me for it, he can fire away.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

T REX wrote:Fuck you all...

But you can't honestly tell me that UF isn't one of the top 15 teams in the country and not having them on your list is bullshit.

Nice melt, sparky.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

How is that a melt?(very original with the pic)

I predicted the loss.....I predict we'll lose to them again in the SEC title game.....you cannot win them all. We had a great run. We are young on D. It happens.

It's funny because I'm okay with it. There is no melt....none.....sorry guys....

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. USF
4. Cal
5. BC

WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:Still too early for polls.

This is for fun, Steve. Lighten up. Our opinions have no effect on the actual outcome.
A. don't tell me what to do.

2. You know I'm rightl...parity is the only winner this year.

c. Too much football to be played. Polls mean shit. Let the boys settle it on the gridiron. Can a playoff be that far off?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

WolverineSteve wrote:Can a playoff be that far off?
Haven't you been paying attention? We have one.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

L45B wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:Can a playoff be that far off?
Haven't you been paying attention? We have one.
:lol: :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WolverineSteve wrote:A. don't tell me what to do.
Uh oh. Internet tough guy comin' round the corner.
c. Too much football to be played. Polls mean shit. Let the boys settle it on the gridiron. Can a playoff be that far off?
Yeah, god forbid we share opinions on college football...on a college football forum. That's totally uncalled for.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

T REX wrote:I predicted the loss.....I predict we'll lose to them again in the SEC title game.....

I predict you won’t even make it to the SEC title game.

Nice meltdown, BTW.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:A. don't tell me what to do.
Uh oh. Internet tough guy comin' round the corner.
Yeah, god forbid we share opinions on college football...on a college football forum. That's totally uncalled for.
Not trying to be a tough guy.

I was offering my opinion. You all can argue all season for all I care. I'm just saying that polls at this juncture are pure speculation. As we get through the meat of conference battles things will take shape and become more clear.

In my opinion....fuck Florida. This semi-circle jerk for them is bullshit. Two losses in a row...bottom line. That means there is at least 25 teams playing better ball than them right now. Who the fuck cares how much talent they allegedly have, they fucking lost. Half you guys in here are arguing for them as "best two loss team". Maybe we should start a thread for best undefeateds, one lossers, two lossers. Hell I doubt Notre Dame couldn't crack the top ten in the "teams with one win poll".

South Florida is a fine example. Are they really a top five team? Probably not. (sorry Mucho, I'm on board, just making a point). They have maybe one tough game left. But by virtue of winninig six games they've vaulted from the depths of unranked to the lofty status they now hold. Doesn't really make sense.

Is a poll a snapshot or a cumulative account of the season to date? A snapshot would be more accurate, but these coaches/writers polls aren't snapshots. So what are our criteria? Is it the top 15 teams based on what we've seen thusfar? Is it the top 15 teams based on how they're playing right now? Are teams with talent that have under achieved in the w-l column better than undefeateds from smaller conferences? Why is it harder for "surprise" teams to rise in the polls, yet the plummet farther and faster than a USC, or UF, or OU when they stumble? Because polls are bullshit, that's why.

We should only be ranking the top two anyway. Who cares who's #3? It should be LSU, OSU or Cal by default and the rest eagerly waiting for one of the two to lose. Why should whoever's #3 be the automatic heir to the next spot in the top 2? When a top 2 loses the team that moves into position should be the team that's playing the best football at that time. I say this obviously because only the top 2 have a shot at the title. But who's to say that should LSU lose that it suddenly means that Cal and OSU are better than them? Polls make no sense. Win your conference and you've done something. Until then polls are bullshit popularity contests and speculation.

Didn't mean to ramble. Shit happens.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

WolverineSteve wrote:...polls are bullshit popularity contests and speculation.
So why concern yourself with them, then?

Perhaps if your team was undefeated, you'd feel differently.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

WolverineSteve wrote:South Florida is a fine example. Are they really a top five team? Probably not. (sorry Mucho, I'm on board, just making a point). They have maybe one tough game left. But by virtue of winninig six games they've vaulted from the depths of unranked to the lofty status they now hold. Doesn't really make sense.

Take the name "South Florida" off and replace it with a 'bigger name program'...they've beaten Auburn at Jordan-Hare, who beat Florida, and they beat West Virginia, who is in the top 15. To be unbeaten and to have two quality wins like that, I say they're worthy of top 5-10 ranking. I actually think they're more deserving of their ranking than Boston College. They've not had any major scares but they've also not played anyone of note. The Eagles have to face the Irish this weekend...not a tough game per say but they'll be challenged since ND appears to have some positive momentum on their side.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The polls we're doing here are just for the hell of it. It's a fun time-waster in between Saturdays to get a feel for what the collective board thinks of the national landscape. Obviously there's no way to scientifically determine who's "the best" based on a poll. I don't think anyone here has argued otherwise.

Without a playoff, I think polls should continue to be used although I agree they should start much later in the season. In general, I think the BCS formula, and poll that comes out and the end of the season is fair, and has done a good job. But it still isn't favorable over a playoff.

For all intensive purposes the BCS really is only ranking #1 and #2. Yeah, it still spits out number for other teams, but at the end of the year, the BCS doesn't give a shite about #3 through whatever.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:For all intensive purposes the BCS really is only ranking #1 and #2. Yeah, it still spits out number for other teams, but at the end of the year, the BCS doesn't give a shite about #3 through whatever.
I don't entirely agree with this. I see the BCS as having two purposes.

Purpose #1 is to have a two-team playoff. Without that, I don't think the BCS could have sold itself.

Purpose #2, which is just as important as purpose #1, is to guarantee a huge payday to all of the BCS conferences. That's the reason the other rankings have some importance. And to keep the BCS out of litigation which ultimately could have killed it, they made it a bit easier for non-BCS teams to qualify.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.