Top 5 coaches TODAY!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Top 5 coaches TODAY!

Post by T REX »

Just some food for thought while watching the OU-Tulsa game before I head out on Friday.....

Who are the best of the best in the game right now?

Next, criteria......

1a. Game day coaching
b. vs Rivals
2. Accomplishments
3. Recruiting

There may be others but I thought this would make it easier to judge.

Drum roll please......

A. Pete Carroll - Is there a better overall coach? Has anyone accomplaished as much in a shorter amount of time?

1a. His game day prepreration is legendary. What is he....61-6 and counting. Rarely outcoached, if ever.
b. Don't have the exact numbers, but I am assuming he owns UCLA and ND!
2. Two MNC titles, 4 or 5 Pac-10 titles.
3. Do I really have to say?

B. Bob Stoops - Just a damn freaking great coach....all-around.

1a. Another great gamer. Classy. OU fan, please don't take this the wrong way. Defensive genius and the years he spent with Spurrier defintely rubbed off(in a good way).
b. Again, don't have exact numbers but I am assuming he has a winning record vs NU and texas.
2. A MNC and several Big 12 titles.
3. Crosses into Texas all the time. Who doesn't want to play for him.

C. Jim Tressel - Outside of last year vs UF the guy is nails. Again, sweater dude is all class.

1a. Teams always prepared. That OSU-Miami game said it all. Fantasic coach!
b. Owns Michigan.
2. Several Big ten titles and won it all at the D-IAA and I-A.
3. Goes anywhere to get his players.

D. Urban Meyer - Just a winner. Period. Has learned from the best and is classy contrary to popular belief.

1a. Outside of the three in front of him, there isn't a better gameday coach. His teams are always prepared for the opponents. Changed entire offense for Leak.
b. 7-0 vs UT, UGA, FSU......unheard of....
2. Different since he hasn't been here long, but has won everywhere w/ lesser teams. Doing great things with a great program.
3. Gets players that fit his system.

E. Greg Shiano - Future coach of the Nittany Lions. If anyone thinks he isn't biding his time, you're crazy.

1a. Rutgers.....winners? Almost like SOS winning an ACC title at Duke. No one has done more with less.
b. Rivals? Not sure.
2. Won at Rutgers. Period.
3. Top 20 classes? Are you joking? Again, its Rutgers.

Honorable mention:

June Jones, SOS, Mark Richt, Mack Brown, Jim Leavitt

I'm sure there are others. And guys....just board fodder....go easy on me......
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Stoops: 4-1 against NU, 5-3 against UT.

1-2 in BCS championship games. 2-3 in BCS bowls.

Stoops has always credited Spurrier as an influence, as a human being and coach.

and OU has recruited well in Texas for 40 years. at least. Switzer recruited the black athlete in Texas when the SWC was still not too far from segregated.

not sure about Schiano, as top 5 yet.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

You may be right, but I think Greg is the next Meyer...if/when he takes a high profile job. I am assuming he takes over for Joe Pa in 2078.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

if i were a Michigan Man, i'd go after Leavitt before Lester Miles. He's got Big 10 cred with Hayden Fry.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Jeff Tedford is the best coach in college football today. The tragic irony of Nike Inc's devotion to Bellotti at ORegon is that if they ran him and were able to get JT to take the job, Oregon could challenge USC for top program in the Pac-10 and beyond.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Jeff Tedford is the best coach in college football today. The tragic irony of Nike Inc's devotion to Bellotti at ORegon is that if they ran him and were able to get JT to take the job, Oregon could challenge USC for top program in the Pac-10 and beyond.
M2ool? Is that you?
FIGHT ON!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Give me a fuckin break, Sam. The subject is the best coaches in the game today. Right now. Nick Saban has played only three games since returning to the college game, two of which were against the juggernauts of Western Carolina and Vanderbilt. Let's just wait and see what he can do with this Alabama program. By wait and see, I don't mean another game or two. I mean at least two to three years.

btw - next time post that under your SEC Ballsucking Homer Troll.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I think you gotta throw Rich Rodriquez in the top10. Dude had built a power in the hills of West Virginia and they will only get better since they are just-now getting blue-chip recruits in.

My top 10:
Meyer
Carroll
Stoops
Schiano
Rodriquez
Tressel
Sabin
Spurrier
June Jones
Tedford

Honorable Mention:Leavitt, Les Miles, Mack Brown, Gary Patterson, and Richt

What stands-out to me is the high level of coaching in the Big East-Schiano, Rodriquez, Leavitt, Kragthorpe, and Brian Kelly. I'd say the East is neck-and-neck with the SEC for the best coached conference in football.
Last edited by Danimal on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Sudden Sam wrote:Adelpiero, why'd you bail? Your points about Saban were good.
damn, i edited my post. where the fuck did it go?

my post was

saban is NOW

won a national championship in past 5 years
was one of top coaches during his LSU coaching campaign(so it chages after 2 years?)
won at michigan st and LSU
Miles is piggy backing off of Sabans recruits.

If there was a draft for coaches, Saban would go top 3. And for many, top 2.

He is one hell of a coach, like him or not, like his antics or his dirty dealings, this muther can flat out coach.

I also feel he learned a bit in the NFL, fuck that place, CFB is the place to be and he knows how to get it done. Bama will be a top program in next 3-5 years under Saban.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Meyer, Carroll, and Stoops are ALL better tha Saban....Period.

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

T REX wrote:Meyer, Carroll, and Stoops are ALL better tha Saban....Period.
Not trying to be a dick, but how do you figure? Carroll is obvious. Stoops is probable. At worst, he is even with Meyer. He had MSU in the top 10 when he left and he turned around an LSU team that was in complete turmoil to win a NC. If you look at LSU now, it's obvious he can recruit.

If Meyer were to take over the Browns next year and come back to CFB at UofM in 2010, his name automaticly gets thrown in the top 5 coaches.

IMO, the top 5 are Carroll, Stoops, Tressell and Brown, Meyer and Saban fighting it out for the 4th and 5th slots.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

UF wasn't in turmoil?

meyer just didn't win at UTAH and Bowling Green???

Are you trying to tell me that winning at BGU and UTAH equates to winning at MSU/LSU???

Bottom line....Meyer idd more with less.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Nice game last night, Nicky boy.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

1 Carroll
2 Stoops
3 Meyer
4 Tressell
5 Rodriguez
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Come on guys...

1 Sly Croom
2 Ed Orgeron
3 Phil Fullmer
4 Urban
5 Les Miles

Sin,

SEC Ballsucking Homer

actually I think a combo of:

Stoops
Tressel
Meyer
Brown
Caroll
Rodriguez

is not far off base...
Killian

Post by Killian »

T REX wrote:UF wasn't in turmoil?

meyer just didn't win at UTAH and Bowling Green???

Are you trying to tell me that winning at BGU and UTAH equates to winning at MSU/LSU???

Bottom line....Meyer idd more with less.
This isn't confrontational, and I didn't say UF wasn't in turmoil. They also didn't have losing seasons under Zook, no matter how bad they got.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I didn't say winning at BGSU and Utah was like winning at MSU/LSU. Meyer did a great job both places, but Saban never had to do "more with less" except at MSU. If the criteria is who has done more with less, than Paul Johnson would be near the top of the list.

My point is no one can dismiss Saban as one of the top coaches in college football. If he's not in the top 5, people can make a valid argument to include him.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I'm not really sure Pete Carrol is clearly #1. If this is a poll about whose accomplished the most in the last 5 years he'd obviously be #1, but who wouldn't win with the talent he's had? There isn't a single poster on this message board that couldn't lead his teams to a BCS bowl. Now, does that make him a bad coach? No. But to say he's clearly #1 is based on his success which is due in large part to the talent he's had.

I'm not going to rank the coaches because there's not really a point to it, but I do have a list of coaches I think are amongst the best in the game right now.....

Jim Leavitt, Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, Tommy Tubberville, Mark Richt, Greg Schiano, Mack Brown, and Nick Saban.
Killian

Post by Killian »

TheJON wrote:I'm not really sure Pete Carrol is clearly #1. If this is a poll about whose accomplished the most in the last 5 years he'd obviously be #1, but who wouldn't win with the talent he's had? There isn't a single poster on this message board that couldn't lead his teams to a BCS bowl. Now, does that make him a bad coach? No. But to say he's clearly #1 is based on his success which is due in large part to the talent he's had.

I'm not going to rank the coaches because there's not really a point to it, but I do have a list of coaches I think are amongst the best in the game right now.....

Jim Leavitt, Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, Tommy Tubberville, Mark Richt, Greg Schiano, Mack Brown, and Nick Saban.
Seeing as how he was the one who recruited all of that talent, and the fact that he has lost under 10 games in the last 5 years, and has 3 heisman trophy winners, I would say he is clearly the #1 coach in the country. To say anything else would be foolish.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Funny John puts Spurrier in there in a 5 year conversation when we he has only been at USC for 3...plus Schiano? I mean 1 great year...Rodriguez has had what 3 or 4 great seasons at WVU...plus you really want to leave off Tressel...he has done more at tOSU than some of the coaches on your list...plus you don't have Meyer on your list? Keep it up...you might take the board bitch crown by default since m2ool is banned or something...
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I forgot Tressel.....yes, he is maybe the best in the land.

As for Carrol...

If we're including recruiting as part of being a good coach, then maybe you could convince me he's #1. But I'm talking just pure coaching and program building. Yeah, USC was down for a while before he got there but come on.....it's not hard to win there. You have all kinds of talent in your backyard and a lot of talented players elsewhere that would love to go to college in Southern California. And on top of all of that, I think we all know how he's landed some of those players. I'm not about to get into a cheating debate, but if anyone believes there isn't some funny business going on there then they're just clueless.

What about Jim Leavitt? No one has done a more amazing job than him. 10 years ago that program was 1-AA Non-scholarship. And now they're in the Top 25 of Division 1-A. What do you think he'd do with Pete Carrol's players??

The fact is there are a good majority of the coaches in Division 1-A that would be enjoying the same amount of success as Pete if they had those same players.

Yes, I know that you still have to be a decent coach to win even if you have talent. You can't be Tommy Bowden. But you don't have to be a great coach to win with talent. Everyone's lists are basically the coaches that have had the most success recently. Well, having great success in terms of wins and losses and championships doesn't necessarily make you a better coach than someone at another school that may not be winning as many games/championships. It might mean that you just flat out had much better players. I look more at what coaches do with the talent they have when I'm judging a coach than how many games they've won.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

TheJON wrote:I'm not really sure Pete Carrol is clearly #1. If this is a poll about whose accomplished the most in the last 5 years he'd obviously be #1, but who wouldn't win with the talent he's had? There isn't a single poster on this message board that couldn't lead his teams to a BCS bowl. Now, does that make him a bad coach? No. But to say he's clearly #1 is based on his success which is due in large part to the talent he's had.

No Meyer? Pure Jon....pure Jon.

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^^

Notice I EVEN HAD MEYER in my list...FUCKER...LOL
Killian

Post by Killian »

TheJON wrote:I forgot Tressel.....yes, he is maybe the best in the land.
Why would he be #1? He took over a team with loads of talent that underachieved at every turn. Plus, he has talent walking all over his back yard.

TheJON wrote:As for Carrol...

If we're including recruiting as part of being a good coach, then maybe you could convince me he's #1. But I'm talking just pure coaching and program building. Yeah, USC was down for a while before he got there but come on.....it's not hard to win there. You have all kinds of talent in your backyard and a lot of talented players elsewhere that would love to go to college in Southern California. And on top of all of that, I think we all know how he's landed some of those players. I'm not about to get into a cheating debate, but if anyone believes there isn't some funny business going on there then they're just clueless.
You're not going to get into the cheating debate, but you want to throw it, along with your opinion, out there for everyone to see. Nice work, JON. You don't want to throw it out there, because no one can prove anything right now. Rumors and speculation are what you have. That and a $5 spot will get you a beer at your local bar.

It's not hard to win there? Tell that to Ted Tollner, Larry Smith and Paul Hackett.
TheJON wrote: What about Jim Leavitt? No one has done a more amazing job than him. 10 years ago that program was 1-AA Non-scholarship. And now they're in the Top 25 of Division 1-A. What do you think he'd do with Pete Carrol's players??

The fact is there are a good majority of the coaches in Division 1-A that would be enjoying the same amount of success as Pete if they had those same players.
Could Jim Leavitt recruit those type of players? Could he manage all of those egos? There aren't "a good majority" of 1A coaches that would have USC in the same spot. Just to get this right, you are saying that there are 59 other 1A coaches that would have USC in the exact same spot?
TheJON wrote:Yes, I know that you still have to be a decent coach to win even if you have talent. You can't be Tommy Bowden. But you don't have to be a great coach to win with talent. Everyone's lists are basically the coaches that have had the most success recently. Well, having great success in terms of wins and losses and championships doesn't necessarily make you a better coach than someone at another school that may not be winning as many games/championships. It might mean that you just flat out had much better players. I look more at what coaches do with the talent they have when I'm judging a coach than how many games they've won.
Then why isn't Paul Johnson on your list? Or Dan Hawkins? Forget that for a moment and realize that Pete Carroll has beaten everyone in the college game. And he usually doesn't beat them, typically it's a pistol whipping.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Hey, I think Pete is a great coach. In fact, I'd say he's about as good as anyone at making halftime adjustments. But come on, he's had incredible talent that no coach in the nation has even come close to. I don't know how many coaches would have the same record as him if put in that position, but I do know that Pete looks a heck of a lot better because the players he has. I'm not trying to make it sound like I think he's a crap coach, I'm just saying I don't see how he's a clear cut #1. If we're basing solely on success, then yes, he is #1. But he's having this amount of success because of where he's at.

Yeah, I know coaches like Paul Hackett failed at USC, but that just means they're terrible coaches. I hate Paul Hackett. He was the worst OC in the history of football. I swear to fucking god, I wanted to punch that guy in the face every mother fucking time he ran a god damn draw play on 3rd and 8 when he was in KC. The thought of that douchebag makes me want to punch someone.

Anyways, back to my point...... You have to at least be a quality coach to win anywhere. Bad coaches will lose despite being in a great situation. Take Norv Turner for example. He sucks donkey balls. He'll always lose, I don't care where he's at. He's not a head coach. But you don't necessarily have to be a GREAT coach to win at places like USC and Florida. If you have enough talent, all you have to do is be a decent coach and you'll win. Now, to win at the level that Pete is winning you have to be a very good coach, but I still don't think you have to be a GREAT coach when you have that amount of talent.

Come on, do you really think Pete Carrol would be doing a better job then someone like Leavitt at USF or Jeff Tedford at Cal? There isn't a coach out there that wouldn't die to have those players. I know he recruited those players, but in terms of pure coaching I wouldn't be so quick to say he's the absolute clear cut #1 in the country.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

TheJON wrote: But you don't necessarily have to be a GREAT coach to win at places like USC and Florida.
Dude....you have to great to win anywhere(a couple exceptions to the rule).

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Killian wrote:
Why would he be #1? He took over a team with loads of talent that underachieved at every turn.
Huh?

*if that's just sarcasm, I will gladly move on...
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TheJON wrote:Anyways, back to my point...... You have to at least be a quality coach to win anywhere. Bad coaches will lose despite being in a great situation. Take Norv Turner for example. He sucks donkey balls. He'll always lose, I don't care where he's at. He's not a head coach. But you don't necessarily have to be a GREAT coach to win at places like USC and Florida. If you have enough talent, all you have to do is be a decent coach and you'll win. Now, to win at the level that Pete is winning you have to be a very good coach, but I still don't think you have to be a GREAT coach when you have that amount of talent.
No, you've still got to be a GREAT coach. I'm guessing you're right in that a lot of coaches could take the USC job and win ball games every season. I doubt very many guys would out-perform or even duplicate Carroll.

I don't care how much talent you have. You don't win at such an disgustingly consistent level without impeccable coaching. Carroll's got his players more focused and prepared for game day than just about anyone I've ever seen. On the field, they execute their plays like an NFL caliber team. This is alllllll coaching.
Killian

Post by Killian »

L45B wrote:
Killian wrote:
Why would he be #1? He took over a team with loads of talent that underachieved at every turn.
Huh?

*if that's just sarcasm, I will gladly move on...
No sarcasam. With all the talent that Cooper brought in under his tenure, I would say his 2-10-1 record against UofM and only 1(?) Rose Bowl would be considered an underachievement.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

TheJON wrote:
If we're including recruiting as part of being a good coach, then maybe you could convince me he's #1. But I'm talking just pure coaching and program building.
Isn't recruiting part of building a program? I'd say most definitely it is. I don't understand your argument if you can call it that.
You can have all the talent in the world in your backyard...you still have to go out and recruit the kids and convince them that your program is the best for them.
FIGHT ON!
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I never make these lists.

Sin,

Kirk Ferentz
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Killian wrote:No sarcasam. With all the talent that Cooper brought in under his tenure, I would say his 2-10-1 record against UofM and only 1 Rose Bowl would be considered an underachievement.
Ahhh, I read it wrong. I thought you were insinuating that Tressel underachieved.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield