A glorious day

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

Dinsdale
Lord Google

A glorious day

Post by Dinsdale »

First, Greg Oden.

Now(unconfirmed, bit looks like a done deal), Zach Randolph is gone.

StatsBo, Freddy Jones, and Dan dickeau for Channing Frye and Steve Franchise Killer.

While losing two local guys (Dickeau is from Spuncouver, Freddy is a Portland area kid and former Ducks standout) isn't going to go over well, but business is business.

Zach had to go. I think the thought was that he would be traded for Rashard, or possibly Richard Jefferson.

Either way, he's gone. One Jailblazer left to go -- hopefully Arius Miles retires and takes his money.

There could be more moves coming with this deal, but rumor has it, they weren't getting nearly the offers for Zach they thought they would today.

Let's not forget, Zach threatened to do bad things to anyone who testified against Qyntel Woods in his dog fighting trial...there is that. And his numerous arrests for sexual assault and the like.

Francis is a bad guy, and a locker room cancer. But apparently according to local hacks, there's a team buyout option in his contract. He makes a grip of cash, with 2 years left on his deal, but it can be bought out, which would make his salary come off the books after next season. Right now, the Blazers had to think about the finances. After the coming season, they are obviously going to offer LaMarcus and ROY max-salary deals. A year later, there's Oden to take care of, who I'm pretty sure will get a max-deal. That money has to come from somewhere. If Francis is bought out and comes off the books after this coming season, we lose 16.5 mil from Francis, and about 12.5 mil from LaFrentz. That's 29 mil... about two players' worth.

All of a sudden, looking at the financial picture(not that it's the first time I thought it through), maybe that big name free agent small forward isn't coming. In a couple of years, between ROY, LMA, and Almighty, that's around 3/4 of a team's salary cap in 3 players. While in the past, the Zers have been a money making machine, there is a limit.

I think there's a good chance we'll end up with, and be quite happy with Ime Udoka as the starting small forward, just like he was last season. He is a hometown hero, and couldn't care less if he takes 20 shots or zero. And he's one of the more voracious defenders you'll ever see. And a swell guy who plaid for league minimum, and still gave most of it away to charity, and established both an academic and an athletic scholarship at Portland State.

Although hopefully, Francis never steps foot in Portland, but regardless -- while on the surface, it sounds like a bad personel move, it's a very good business move, and will help take care of our young guns when the time comes. RACK Franchise for being such a douche, that we can use him for salary relief fodder.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just in...Blazers getting #24 pick from Phoenix. The deal doesn't go down until tomorrow, but Phoenix is picking for Portland.

And we're having a party for Greg Oden in Pioneer Square(kind of the town square gathering place downtown) tomorrow afternoon.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Douchebag Franchise as dead contract fodder isn't such a bad move after a bit of reflection. However, the Blazers better hire extra security to keep him away from ROY and hope he never gets any closer to the court than wearing a bad suit on a folding chair.

As a Wizards fan, I am estatic the Jamison for Zach trade did not go down. Not that AJ isn't aging and a defensive liabilty, but he can score plenty of points and is the only guy on this team that can act as player-coach. He is the only reason this team was competitive against the Traveliers.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Congrats, Dins.

You were right all along about Oden being the first pick, and well should you feel smugly self-satisfied.

I was wrong, I'm here to admit it, and I'm sure glad I didn't take that wager you offered some moons ago. Gimme' some lumps, if you must.

We can all sit back now and let history be the judge of if it was the wisest decision.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Dinsdale wrote:Image
Take that to the anthropology forum.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

stuckinia wrote:Douchebag Franchise as dead contract fodder isn't such a bad move after a bit of reflection. However, the Blazers better hire extra security to keep him away from ROY and hope he never gets any closer to the court than wearing a bad suit on a folding chair.
Yeah, on the surface it sounds bad, but just like you said, it's a dead-weight deal.

We would have traded Zach for San Antonio's 12th round pick and an expiring contract.

From what I've heard on the radio, they think Fracis' contract can be bought out, but the hacks were still researching when it clears the cap. Doesn't sound like Stevie will ever wear a Blazer uni or see the locker room.

Poor widdle Zach Randolph. I wonder if he's crying yet? He suffered through the bad years here, and now that they're over, he gets to start all over losing in New York.

ZeBo managed to find trouble every time he stepped outside his front door in Portland, Oregon. I wonder how that's going to work out for him in New York City?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Have fun with that, New York Pricks. Couldn't have happened to a nicer GM. I wonder if Fagsia Thomas knew that Zach's thug brother, the Terror of the Tittybar, came with the deal?

Zach to New York is perfect... just perfect. And Blazerfan is already enjoying him being on board a sinking ship. He'll be an All-Star in the east, though. He'll score 30 a game in the Least. Sure, Portland is going to have to deal with a rash of hookers hitting the unemployment line, but it's well worth it.

Bottom line -- the Blazers are going to have some huge, huge checks to write in the next few years. That money had to come from somewhere. I was really suprised that MeBo wasn't part of a big sign and trade, or some other type of acquisition of a bigger name SF, but oh well. As long as Zach is gone, most Blazerfans are happy. Huge defensive liability, and a bad, bad guy.

Just heard right now on the radio that there might be a deal in the works to trade a few bucks and Philly's 30th pick for Alando Tucker.

I think Aaron Brooks might be a good fit in Houston. Streak shooter, but he can take over a game with his blinding speed and stop-and-pop ability.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh, BWA!

If you do a Yahoo search for Isiah Thomas, it tells you to also try "Isiah Thomas Gay."

Classic.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:I was wrong, I'm here to admit it, and I'm sure glad I didn't take that wager you offered some moons ago. Gimme' some lumps, if you must.

You cunning bastard -- impossible to dish lumps to someone who begins a post with "I was wrong."

Didn't I offer up a Hungus over this one? Is that how that worked?

That was before the lottery, IIRC. But here's the deal -- that wasn't just the Blazers -- that was 29 out of 29 teams. The only possible team I could have seen taking Durant(who is now officially with the archenemy, so is a fucking doucheclown, and will soon be known by a nasty nickname in the U&L Capital) would have been Orlando -- a moot point, since the only way they were getting that pick would to be to part with the guy that made Durant the wise choice.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: Didn't I offer up a Hungus over this one?
Nah, I don't think it got that radical. You wanted a one year sig bet, I was only willing to go a month, and that was the end of that. Well, I think you called me a few nasty names first, but you get the idea.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

How does Josh McFishface factor into the Blazers plans? Did they simply have to pick someone or is this guy better than expected?

Also, nothing is more enjoyable than watching the Knicks and Celtics flop around worse than a Pomeranian at the Vick household.

Double also, Noah is a freaking clown. Who does he think he is, Andre 3000?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm suprised that Nick Fazekas slipped to the second round. I know he wasn't pojected very high, but I figured he'd be the guy that someone took a mid/late 1st round flyer on.

I guess the reports of Seattle's NBA death were a little exaggerated.

Seattle is going all Blazers2006 up in the bitch. They're having a hell of a day.

Big Baby went from the "gauranteed bust," to all of a sudden showing up for workouts as a lean, mean, fighting machine. There's something to be said for a guy who made a mistake(like too many trips to the buffet line) and saw his opportunity slipping away, and working his asssssss off to fix the problem. I think that speaks well of the guy. I think Portland might have been eying him with one of their 800(OK, 4) second round picks. I doubt he would have got signed, but you never know until Vegas gets going. I read/heard somewhere that Davis lost 50 pounds between the end of the CBB season and the predraft workouts...wow. That's manning up. If Baby pans out, Seattle has one heck of a core going. Who knows, maybe one of those 12 big stiff centers nobody ever heard of that Seattle blew their last 12 first round picks on might work out, too. I was wondering how things were going to work out, what with Ray Allen and Dominique Durant being on the same team. I guess they answered that question... it isn't. And if they somehow keep Rashard and figure out how to get both him and Dominique both in the starting lineup... crazy. There's some big scorers.

The Northwest Rivalry returns, in one fell swoop. Hopefully, we can get back to the old days of both players and fans beating the crap out of each other... those were good old days.

But hey -- let the I-5 rivals get it on. I see Mitch Cupcake used his intelligence to draft another project, since they don't have enough of those already. They would have been CRAZY to try and work some sort of...oh, I dunno...trade, to maybe bring some immediate help to their rapidly-aging superduperstar, whose window for title runs is going to close fairly soon.

Nahhhh. Bring in more projects. I'm sure Bynum, Farmar, and Crittenton are going to hang banners in Staples for decades to come, since there isn't much competition in the West for the next few years.

I'm guessing Rayduh James is in full-on meltdown mode, and drowing his sorrows by huffing hairspray at a furious clip. I'd be PISSED if I was Lakerfan. Oh, not because of today... because Fate made me a Lakerfan. But they had a less than stellar day, too.

But watch out for Sacto -- I mean, they just drafted the next Joe Klein. And with Reggie Theus at the helm, I'm sure he'll be preaching a defense-forst philosophy, and a passing game on offense... just like he played the game. Hell, I think Ray Allen has accused Reggie Theus of shooting the ball too much.

Wait...has anyone actual;ly seen Reggie Theus and Ray Allen in the same room together? It's possibly the same guy, wearing a mask to hide his true identity.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

stuckinia wrote:How does Josh McFishface factor into the Blazers plans?
I have no freaking idea.

I guess when you have 4 second rounders, and no one wants to trade for them(I wonder if Pritchard assraping everyone last year had other GMs a little gunshy about trading with the Blazers?), you have to take the obligatory big white stiff. And what better Big White Stiff than a Dooky?

I can't see that guy making the roster, but stranger things have happened. I hope he didn't hire an agent. I'd say another year or two with Coach Kyrzgarysheffieldnatorkrizky would have been a lot more in his btter interest that a life making $10 an hour playing somewhere they don't speak English.

Good luck, Cherokee McRoberts.

Also, nothing is more enjoyable than watching the Knicks and Celtics flop around worse than a Pomeranian at the Vick household.

Funny stuff.

Raping Danny Ainge...check.

Getting Greg Oden... check

Ditching the second-to-last jailblazer on Gaysiah... check.

I'm thinking Kevin Pritchard is now the acting mayor of Portland. Man, the way this dude is blowing this town away, he might not even trade Arius Miles -- he might just shoot him on broadcast television. It's not like any court in the land would convict him.
Double also, Noah is a freaking clown. Who does he think he is, Andre 3000?

Me and mine haven't used that name in about 3 months. We consider that offensive.

We refer to him as Laettner.

Don't know if anyone caught the interviews before the picks started. First, they show Oden and Conley -- they talked about their friendship, how happy they were to be there, etc. Pure class, all the way.

Next up was Dominique Durant. Spoke of what an honor it was to play for Texas, how much he'll miss his teammates, how glad he was to have the opportunity, etc. Pure class, all the way.

Then came Laettner. "I'm from New York, and I'z gots to reprezent my city with these threads, YO! I think I did good, YO!"

Holy freaking crap. The Bulls have become quite the douchefest. Big Douche Wallace, Tyrus Douchus, Kirk Doucherik, Douche Laettner... where does it end? As if I didn't have 1992 or 23 reasons to hate that team already... now this? I doubt it will happen, but I wouldn't mind a little revenge, and having Chicago be one of the teams we trash in the Finals.

BTW -- is Corey Brewer retarded, or is that just a Tennessee thing? He always seems to look that way whenever I see him on the tube.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Speaking of Joakim Laettner -- a couple of weeks ago, the local hacks(we have a great afternoon sports show on the sports station) were interviewing Oden. Somewhere in the context of the conversation, Oden said he needed to win over the people of Portland.

The locals guys told him "You already had your chance. You could have won over the entire country, matter of fact. All you had to do was walk up and deck the crap out of Noah in the championship game, and the whole country would have fallen in love with you."

Even Oldman laughed.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Damn, what a draft for Portland. I'm not sure how they ended up with 37 picks in the draft but props to them. Just grabbed Demetris Nichols from the 'Cuse.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Dinsdale wrote:Holy freaking crap. The Bulls have become quite the douchefest. Big Douche Wallace, Tyrus Douchus, Kirk Doucherik, Douche Laettner... where does it end? As if I didn't have 1992 or 23 reasons to hate that team already... now this? I doubt it will happen, but I wouldn't mind a little revenge, and having Chicago be one of the teams we trash in the Finals.

BTW -- is Corey Brewer retarded, or is that just a Tennessee thing? He always seems to look that way whenever I see him on the tube.
Rack your Pritchard capping Miles blast. Be sure to post the youtube clip of that happening.

Linving in Iowa, I hear more bullshit about the "Babybulls" than I hear my neighbors' excuses as to why their baby cries as they deal meth. Is there a more overrated team in the NBA other than the Traveliers or the Bullets (my team)? Wallace should assume his role as Shadow, Tyrus can makey sexy dunks, Kirk is the product of methual relations, Ben Gordon has a sweet shot, and the newest addition to the Sideshow Bob All-stars is supposed to be their savior.

BTW -- It is a TN thang and he is retarded.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

[Most sincere guy ever]Image[/Most sincere guy ever]

Portland now has one the greatest collections of talent under the age of 23 in the history of the league.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote:Damn, what a draft for Portland. I'm not sure how they ended up with 37 picks in the draft but props to them. Just grabbed Demetris Nichols from the 'Cuse.

Just kept trading crap we didn't want for draft picks. Since all but one of our lottery picks was crap(jury is still out on Travis Outlaw, but since he's had 4 freaking years and the jury is still out, I'm going to go with "crap"), we were able to find suckers to take our previous lottery crap.

Sebastian Telfair? That was one of John Nash's great gifts as GM. But at least Danny Ainge traded us for what turned into Brandon ROY. Oregon boy and former Blazer Ainge got WORKED.

And how does John Paxon still have a job? He somehow decided that Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Krehappa(or however the hell you spell that... good defender, though, hard worker) were more valuable than LaMarcus Aldridge(thanks for taking Bargnani, Toronto-btw)? Are you kidding me?

Besides the obvious(Oden), the Blazers had their crazy draft day last year, with 4 freaking first rounders. Let's not forget Sergio Rodriguez, who's a potential All-Star. You guys don't know about him yet, to to the lack of TV games... but you will(since I'm guessing TNT is going to be carrying a buncha Blazers games, like the old days). He was a "leave him in Europe" project -- until they got him to camp. They didn't upgrade him to a D-League guy...they put him on the roster as the #2 point gaurd. He's pretty fun to watch... very fast paced... kind of in the Pete Maravich/Steve Nash mold... that sort of thing. Comparisons suck, except in forums like this.

But really, besides that whole Oden thing, I think Seattle had by far the best day. By far. A fact made even more amazing by the state of the franchise -- uncertain future, no coach, and complete disarray, to go along with an apathetic fanbase, yet management still pulled off a banner day. I heard the Sonics fan...ERRRR, I meand "fans" were upset that they traded Ray Theus -- but let's face it -- the guy's a whiner. A quet whiner, as far as whiners go, but still a whiner. And that's the last thing a young building team needs. I think their day might even shake up the free agent market, since everyone was drooling over Rashard Lewis... now, he might well stay. Then again, their ownership is such cheap bastards, they might insult him with chumpchange -- remains to be seen. But getting Green, and Wally Buy-A-Vowel from Boston was great, and who knows, maybe the reinvented-in-two-months Big Baby will pan out. Our archrivals might get good in a hurry, too. They might go as far as Kevin McGrady can take them, but at least he'll have help.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Portland now has one the greatest collections of talent in the history of the league.

FTFY

Aw, what the heck -- let's just throw Taurean Green into the mix for good measure.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

I I have to admit. The Arenas/Durant commercials have had me chuckling. Arenas playing defense? Durant not having to worry about passing to a teammate? Awesome dichotomy of fiction versus reality. Nonetheless, the next 5 or 6 years will consist of Blazers-Wizards finals, so the rest of the league can just attempt to catch up.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Going into the 06 draft Portland and Boston were about even in terms of talent and momentum. If anything Boston probably had a slight edge. Two drafts later look at the difference. Yeah he got unlucky with the ping pong balls, but still Ainge has found himself a job he's worse at than that of Major League infielder.

And how pathetic have the Knicks become? How funny was it to see the MSG crowd with Spike and Stephen A get all pumped with the news that they were able to scrounge up Portland's dead weight!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Ainge has found himself a job he's worse at than that of Major League infielder.

Dang, I'd forgotten that. Blue Jays, right?

Stephen A almost stopped gulping the Blazer-flavored Haterade and came correct... almost.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

so did Portland draft Oden? just kidding...congrats to the Sonics and Blazers...two AWESOME players...

hard to believe tOSU had 3 go in the first round...Cook at 21??? He should have come back to school...

if Charlotte had drafted Noah I would have fought him if I saw him...glad Chicago got that no class pussy...

I guess that is why I hate all things Gator...the way the conducted themselves after winning NC's in both sports...yeah some sour grapes for me...but the football team was pretty dis-respectful of tOSU after the game I mean win and lose with class and apparently those kids have never been there before (except Leak and Meyer)...and while the basketball team did a great thing with B2B titles...hey why don't you guys take a page from say a DUKE playbook...act like you have been there...but I guess the likes of noah can't spell class and would never know what being classy is...

anyway carry on the I hate all things FLA rant is over...

congrats to Blazer fan...here's hoping the U & L becomes a player in the NBA after a little hiatus...
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Dinsdale wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:Damn, what a draft for Portland. I'm not sure how they ended up with 37 picks in the draft but props to them. Just grabbed Demetris Nichols from the 'Cuse.

Just kept trading crap we didn't want for draft picks. Since all but one of our lottery picks was crap(jury is still out on Travis Outlaw, but since he's had 4 freaking years and the jury is still out, I'm going to go with "crap"), we were able to find suckers to take our previous lottery crap.

Sebastian Telfair? That was one of John Nash's great gifts as GM. But at least Danny Ainge traded us for what turned into Brandon ROY. Oregon boy and former Blazer Ainge got WORKED.

And how does John Paxon still have a job? He somehow decided that Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Krehappa(or however the hell you spell that... good defender, though, hard worker) were more valuable than LaMarcus Aldridge(thanks for taking Bargnani, Toronto-btw)? Are you kidding me?

Besides the obvious(Oden), the Blazers had their crazy draft day last year, with 4 freaking first rounders. Let's not forget Sergio Rodriguez, who's a potential All-Star. You guys don't know about him yet, to to the lack of TV games... but you will(since I'm guessing TNT is going to be carrying a buncha Blazers games, like the old days). He was a "leave him in Europe" project -- until they got him to camp. They didn't upgrade him to a D-League guy...they put him on the roster as the #2 point gaurd. He's pretty fun to watch... very fast paced... kind of in the Pete Maravich/Steve Nash mold... that sort of thing. Comparisons suck, except in forums like this.

But really, besides that whole Oden thing, I think Seattle had by far the best day. By far. A fact made even more amazing by the state of the franchise -- uncertain future, no coach, and complete disarray, to go along with an apathetic fanbase, yet management still pulled off a banner day. I heard the Sonics fan...ERRRR, I meand "fans" were upset that they traded Ray Theus -- but let's face it -- the guy's a whiner. A quet whiner, as far as whiners go, but still a whiner. And that's the last thing a young building team needs. I think their day might even shake up the free agent market, since everyone was drooling over Rashard Lewis... now, he might well stay. Then again, their ownership is such cheap bastards, they might insult him with chumpchange -- remains to be seen. But getting Green, and Wally Buy-A-Vowel from Boston was great, and who knows, maybe the reinvented-in-two-months Big Baby will pan out. Our archrivals might get good in a hurry, too. They might go as far as Kevin McGrady can take them, but at least he'll have help.
The Celts gave up Wally, Delonte West, and the 5. Green was not part of the package. Oh and Big Baby comes to Boston not Seattle.....
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Neely8 wrote: The Celts gave up Wally, Delonte West, and the 5. Green was not part of the package. Oh and Big Baby comes to Boston not Seattle.....

As far as Green or the 5th, it's neither here nor there. Both teams got what they needed.

And yeah, with all the hokey pokey going down, Bihg Baby to Boston got lost in the shuffle. I do believe that with his sudden dedication to fitness and hard work, Davis was a good flyer pick.

Getting Ray Theus can't hurt. Boston didn't need to rebuild with projects/youngsters, they needed help NOW... or more like "yesterday." At minimum, the Celts get someone they can market and drum up some of that rapidly-fading fan support. Might not have been the best value-deal, but Boston needed someone... anyone to go with the twighlight-of-his-career Pierced. Two desperate older players, who are probably going to "leave it on the floor" for a couple of years, which is just what Boston needed. Hopefully, Davis can play a little D, since Pierced and Allen have never played any in their lives.

It's a band-aid for Boston, when they probably needed a tourniquet, but at least it's a step forward, rather than the backward stepping Ainge has become famous for.

But I'm sure Sebastian Telfair will lead the Celts to the promised land... much better player than Brandon ROY... oh, wait... no, he isn't. ROY did more in his first game as a Blazer than SeaBass did in his entire stay here.

But in the end, Seattle got cap relief and a project that fits their time frame, not to mention appeasing their new Franchise, since apparently Green and Dominique are friends. I know Durant wanted to play with Aldridge for that very reason. And Boston gets proven players, instead of help in a few years, which they needed desperately.

Not a bad deal for both sides.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Dinsdale wrote:
Neely8 wrote: The Celts gave up Wally, Delonte West, and the 5. Green was not part of the package. Oh and Big Baby comes to Boston not Seattle.....

As far as Green or the 5th, it's neither here nor there. Both teams got what they needed.

And yeah, with all the hokey pokey going down, Bihg Baby to Boston got lost in the shuffle. I do believe that with his sudden dedication to fitness and hard work, Davis was a good flyer pick.

Getting Ray Theus can't hurt. Boston didn't need to rebuild with projects/youngsters, they needed help NOW... or more like "yesterday." At minimum, the Celts get someone they can market and drum up some of that rapidly-fading fan support. Might not have been the best value-deal, but Boston needed someone... anyone to go with the twighlight-of-his-career Pierced. Two desperate older players, who are probably going to "leave it on the floor" for a couple of years, which is just what Boston needed. Hopefully, Davis can play a little D, since Pierced and Allen have never played any in their lives.

It's a band-aid for Boston, when they probably needed a tourniquet, but at least it's a step forward, rather than the backward stepping Ainge has become famous for.

But I'm sure Sebastian Telfair will lead the Celts to the promised land... much better player than Brandon ROY... oh, wait... no, he isn't. ROY did more in his first game as a Blazer than SeaBass did in his entire stay here.

But in the end, Seattle got cap relief and a project that fits their time frame, not to mention appeasing their new Franchise, since apparently Green and Dominique are friends. I know Durant wanted to play with Aldridge for that very reason. And Boston gets proven players, instead of help in a few years, which they needed desperately.

Not a bad deal for both sides.

I agree. Telfair won't get much playing time this year. Rajon Rondo is going to be given the keys to the run this team. We will see if he is up for the challenge.

Celts still have the Ratliff contract that they can use to bring someone else in. Pierce, Allen, and Jefferson should be enough to contend in the East. That's not saying much. I personally would have used the 5th pick and traded Pierce for a stockpile of talent. I was cool with the youth movement. Apparently most Celtic fans are not that patient. We shall see....
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Neely8 wrote: I was cool with the youth movement. Apparently most Celtic fans are not that patient. We shall see....

From a business angle, I think they need to make at least an attempt at a run in the weak East now. Then they can start trading away the stars, and trying to build a real team in a couple of years, probably around Jefferson, I would think.

In the long term, rebuilding now would make more sense. But therein lies the rub -- that costs money. They need to win the fans back first to finance the rebuilding. The Blazers owner, as you well know, is one of the wealthiest men on the planet, and even he was taking noticable losses to his disposable income. It doesn't take that many bad managerial moves to piss off even the most loyal of fanbases, which Boston has. And considering the Celts have the biggest fuckup of a GM in the league...

They need a fresh face behind the wheel before they start the rebuilding process.And Ray Allen should be just enough to keep them out of the lottery for a couple of years.

The Celts got help, but not nearly as much as they needed. I think I'll still put them in the "winners" column on the day, but just barely.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And the plot thickens, after the fact...

First, Pritchard knew who he was taking as soon as he was done in Orlando.

Second, which apparently came out today, was the fact that while it was a foregone conclusion that Zach was a goner, apparently "a prominant Blazer"(I'm guessing by the name of ROY or Aldridge) helped management along with that decision, and asked then to deal Zach ASAP.

RACK whoever stepped up and said what needed to be said.
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Dinsdale wrote:The Northwest Rivalry returns, in one fell swoop. Hopefully, we can get back to the old days of both players and fans beating the crap out of each other... those were good old days.
Don't count on it, Brother D. While I like Presti himself and his moves yesterday, and while I think the Sonics will be much improved as a result down the line, I also think the Ray Allen trade lessens the already slim prospect of the team staying put. There's no doubt that Durant has generated a great deal of excitement here because of his potential, but Ray is a proven commodity and any NBA team looking to make the playoffs needs at least one go-to superstar (and no, I don't think Rashard fits the bill). I'm not sure that a Ray Allen/Kevin Durant team makes the playoffs in 2008, but Allen could mentor Durant and be the go-to option when the game is on the line, taking pressure off of a very young rook (however talented he may be). I think a 2007-2008 Supes team with Ray would be in the hunt for the playoffs deeper into the season than the new look Sonics will be. Fans will show up in droves at the beginning of the season and the excitement will be at a fevered pitch...but...

When the season hits about the 40 game mark, Durant and Green both get understandably gassed by just looking at the calendar, Rashard is asked to be the man (yes, I do think they'll bring him back) and fails, and the team looks to be headed for the lottery AGAIN, I doubt Seattle will step up and build a new $500 million arena for a bunch of pro-lifer, red state, homophobes. The NBA will disappear from the Seattle landscape and no one will really give a fuck.

But there will be a damn good team to come of this a few years after the Sonics are settled in Oklahoma City, especially when the Supes are back in the lottery next year, and trade the recently resigned Rashard Lewis for a higher pick so that they can draft Roy Hibbard. The trio of Durant, Green, and Hibbard will be a fair match for Oden, Aldridge, and Roy.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

On thing that I haven't heard mentioned yet in all the "can Durant keed the Sonics in Seattle" talk is the fact that OKC is only what, a six hour drive to Austin?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moorese wrote:Rashard is asked to be the man (yes, I do think they'll bring him back)
While he's not quite old enough to shave yet, your GM ain't stupid. Rather the opposite.

A team that is crying about money can't sling that much coin around. I think it was an either/or proposition with Lewis and Ray Theus. And which shot in his career did Allen ever pass up? The Supes aren't a contender yet, better to hand the keys over to Dominique now, rather than later.

I mean, putting Dominque Durant and Bernard King Allen on the same team wasn't going to work.

If somehow the Supes land Hibbert, and Hibbert doesn't eat his way out of the draft, the Sonics might contend yet. I thought Seattle only drafted big white stiffs that no one had ever heard of for centers, though?
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Dinsdale wrote:The Supes aren't a contender yet, better to hand the keys over to Dominique now, rather than later.
I agree that they won't contend and I agree that they might as well let the Durrant era commence, but if you are also hoping to get the public to fund an arena at the same time, you might want to suck a little less until said arena deal is complete. With Ray (and Durrant et al), perhaps, they are interesting for most of the season. Perhaps. Without Ray, I doubt they'll be interesting for much more than a few weeks. Sure, it might be fun to watch Durrant highlights on FSN, but who'll watch the entire game as the Supes charge towards the lottery?
I thought Seattle only drafted big white stiffs that no one had ever heard of for centers, though?
Not at all. You're focusing on "white," you fucking racist. You should be focusing on "stiff." (heh) They'll give anyone who sucks a chance. Witness.

Drafted in 05. 7 foot Center. Sucks.

Drafted in 06. 7 foot Center. Sucks.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

why the suns traded #24 for CASH puzzles me. how much cash is typically involved and does it really make a difference to one of the top franchises in sports. im completely uneducated on this move by the suns or any other team that has done it in the past. dinsamatti, could you please oblige me with an answer and this is one time i would appreciate a diatribe.

tia
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

bbqjones wrote:why the suns traded #24 for CASH puzzles me. how much cash is typically involved and does it really make a difference to one of the top franchises in sports. im completely uneducated on this move by the suns or any other team that has done it in the past. dinsamatti, could you please oblige me with an answer and this is one time i would appreciate a diatribe.

tia

I think I heard it was $3 million. Not as good as the $1 mil we paid for ROY.

If you'll remember way back to last season's draft day, the Suns did the same thing, and sold us the rights to future all-star Sergio Rodriguez for a few bucks, too. But hey, it's not like the backup PG spot has been a revolving door for the Dumbs, and it's not like Phoenix' PG is aging quickly or anything, and it certainly isn't time to start grooming a replacement. And Spanish Chocolate doesn't excel in the run and gun, or anything.

If you haven't figured it out -- Kerr has been put in a position to fail. I guess as part owner, he makes one hell of a scapegoat. If you haven't figured it out -- the Suns don't care if they win or not, and are abusing their fans to make a buck.

They're talking about trading Shawn Freaking Marion, for chrissake, just to increase profits.

Heaven forbid that a "one piece away from a championship" team would try and actually do something with that pick to get better, rather than selling it to what amounts to a few bucks in the big picture.

Don't know if you noticed, but we also scammed you for James Jones. We were kinda wondering about a backup SF, but we found a nice one, thank you very much.

The Suns are absolutely clowning, and I have a feeling it's not Kerr's doing.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

dont get excited about james jones. i watched him get minutes early in the season and then virturally nothing. when whe did get in he made sure to fill the box score with a 0-6 (0-5 3pt) couple of turnovers and thats about it. as far as the suns clowning? youre on a big high right now, as you should be, id say portland had the best draft even if not for the #1pick. but lets be honest here d, portland is YEARS away. perhaps two, perhaps 5 to being a legitimate contender for a championship. the suns could deal marion and still be there. trade staudemire and still be there. granted kevin garnett is the only way staudemire leaves. what im saying is, cool your shoes buddy. youve got alot alot of young guys. and some are good and well the other five that were drafted. well see. three million dollars for a pick? the suns new owner is kindof quirky, but he wants to win. im pretty sure hes dressed as the gorilla a couple of times. sarver wants to win, period.

id hate to see marion go, but if it brought in kg for a two year rental id take it. marion doesnt like being third fiddle and that sucks. because i have one of his jerseys, but i also have a j. kidd and s. marbury. luckily my barbosa jersey seems safe for now.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Trading Marion would be flat out stupid. Nash is obviously the glue that holds everything together there but Marion is so good at every aspect of the game so what value could they possibly get in return? Garnett might be the only possibility.
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

I'll bet you that Dins will agree with this. The Jailblazers are long gone, except for Miles and I think he either has his bags packed or his fridge is full and so he can sit around and watch the Blazers on TV. Finally, Paul Allen heard what the Portland fans wanted. I was in the belief that I'd rather finish dead last with a team that stayed out of jail, stayed out of the strip joints, stopped smoking dope, in a car, by the railroad tracks in a rich burb of Portland called, Lake NoNegro. Whitsett is also probably just staying in Seattle as he's still recognizable here in stumptown. Paul Allen is slowly trying to return Portland to the days of old. The days where even the office staff felt like family. Where reps from the team would show up at a die hard Blazer fans funeral. Just the little things. Getting back to the corny stuff that made it so successful. I was always a fan, but I hated the Blazers during the dope/Jail days. I turned the tube off until they got rid of some of the riff-raff. I remember the day I turned the tube off too...the day Qyntel Woods rolled out of a limo in a cloud of chronic at some school he was to meet. Guess he had to get small before he met the kids, I don't know. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Poor Qyntel...he had a pit bull that just didn't fight well enough to stay in Woods' care, so in the middle of the night he dumped his dog "Hollywood" in some dark alley in Northeast Portland. People saw it and knew both Woods and the dog. Animal control got involved, they searched Woods' house and I remember seeing the plywood being removed from the house with all the tell tale dried blood stains on it. Yessir, that was a proud Blazer day.

Now, you can actually see and feel the change, the excitement around the city. I watched a bunch of Blazers games last year and even though we lost, it was far more enjoyable than watching the cons in the yard during that one hour a day ritual. Now we have a very young team. The other day they had a picture of Oden's hand on the front of the sports page. An actual life sized picture of his palm. The accompanying article invited you to compare your hand to his. Bwahahahaha. When I graduated in high school I had the largest hands. I wore a very large ring. Yeah, well, you know what they say about a guy with large hands. My fingertips basically were at least one knuckle short of Odens. Kind of comparable with Mrs. Luth putting her hand in mine...as mine was in his. I laughed.

It isn't just Oden. Some people were more happy with the exit of Zbo than with the draft of Oden. Zbo, the fat faced kid who can definitely score down low. He has to score because he can't pass worth shit. Zbo and his brother are basically tards. Remember when Zbo's brother shot 3 people in that bar back home with Zbo sitting nearby. Zbo wouldn't talk to the police. Then when they threatened to make his life oh so much harder did he cough. He's just a fat faced big guy who is not only an offensive weapon, he's also just an offensive buffoon.

So people, the Jailblazers are gone. We took heat for so many years and we deserved it. For years we had cons, we had dopers, we had dog fighters, we had drag racers, we had some with a pound of chronic on their living room table when the police investigated an alarm at a house, we had the baby maker in town for awhile, we had Damon visiting Arizona and this Einstein thought if he wrapped his ounce in foil that it would make it through the security station at the airport. We were Jailblazers. We ain't anymore.

Rack it, we are back.

Rip City
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Arius is most likely going to file for retirement in August. No more Arius(who is rumored to be weighing in at about 300 these days), and his salary comes off the books. Then after a buyout of Franchise Killer, there's room to start writing three very large paychecks to guys who matter.

Let's not foget -- Zach has a large pitbull kennel on his property, too. And he threatened the witnesses in the Qyntel case with a capping if they didn't keep their mouths shut. Quality human, that Stats Randolph.

One of my good friends is the doorman/security guy for Zach and the Hoops Family's favorite tittybar(I wonder if Isiah Thomas realizes what a large crowd of societal dregs comes along with Zach? BWAHAHAHA!!!!). My bud has even told the story of seeing the whole entourage's vehicles in the lot when he showed up for work, and turning around and calling in sick that night. He says they really are that deplorable human beings. Something about "acting like caged gorillas." They installed metal detectors at the door, just for Randolph and Co., since they were the ones who pulled out iron in the bar... more than once.

Just a serious POS. And my friend also says that the real treat was having Zach and Arius in the same room -- it became a contest to see who could be the biggest douchebag.

Funny story, I was at said friend's place, where another old buddy landed also after his nasty divorce(not a bad idea for a recently divorced guy -- move in with the guy who's constantly surrounded by horny strippers...RACK those thirty-somethings for living the dream). Buddy A (the bouncer) doesn't really watch any sports. Buddy B(the divorcee) is a sports freak, like me. So were watching a Blazer game not too long ago, and one of the Brandon ROY ads comes on. Buddy A says "that guy came in the bar...once, with Zach and Co. With the air of class and gentlemanlyness he had about him, I figured he wasn't with the team. But I recognize him from that ad. He clearly didn't belong with the rest of them, and was obviously there being 'one of the guys' at work. And he hasn't been back since. If the Blazers are loading up on guys like him, I'll start going to games with you guys again."(We probably haven't all been to a game with him in the group since about 95, or something).

RACK the Blazers

RACK Kevin Pritchard

RACK Greg Oden

RACK Brandon ROY

RACK LaMarcus Aldridge

But mostly, RACK Rip City Alllllriiiiight!

BTW - did you catch how for his welcome party, Greggy rode the freaking MAX all the way from the Hillsboro Airport to Pioneer Square? That was fairly epic...he'll fit in just fine around here. Playing to the treehuggers is always a safe bet. Sure, he was probably the only guy on the westside train that spoke English, but it was a nice gesture. And he didn't get robbed at knifepoint on the train, so RACK the Blazerfans for that.