US Open Course Preview

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Dinsdale wrote:I'm thinking club selection is best left to the tour pro and his caddie, and not a guy who would love to have either one of their jobs, except isn't qualified.
... oh, or left to that person who knows a course as well as you know google's linkage. There's a certain someone who's been the club pro at Oakmont for something like a paltry 27 yrs. or so. Just a couple/few years during which I'm sure no course knowledge was gained.

I'm sure Tiger hasn't consulted w/Butch int he past either seeing as how Mr. Harmon has nary a tour vicotry to his name.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:When is enough is enough?
Never.
Bull shit.
This year aside (something about my local course kickin' ass), the last thing I want is to watch the pros struggling all over the course. The next time I want to watch golfers hack around, muscle shots outta the deep, deep rough 100 yds forward, part the Red Sea and actually hold an approach on the green, and breathe a sigh of relief when they get outta there with a par or even bogey, then I'll head on over to my local muni and drop a lawn chair along the 15th with a cooler at my side. Actually, doesn't sound like a bad idea, but that aside...

Unwar to any of you that enjoy watching the pros struggle around a courses for the sole reason that you can say to yourself, Hell, that looked like me last week, bwhaa." Li'l note: compared to them, you suck. Big time. If you didn't know that already and needed concrete evidence to nail your point, then you're a grade A, prime shithead.

I already recognize the fact that I'll NEVER reach the pros' level. So, when I tune in, I want to watch some magic worked. Hey, I'm not asking for a 20 under score to take the tourney nor am I asking for a tourney devoid of challenge. However, I am asking that I watch a tourney where I can see the pros perform to their potential, not be torn down to something approaching our level. At Oakmont, you most likely won't see Tiger in the rough, maple tree 100 yds ahead, pin another 130 ahead of that and him pull a miraculous low draw of high fade onto the green around the tree. There will be no working the ball outta this rough... and to a degree, that's a shame. That's what I wanna see.
For the record, the way the Open played today is EXACTLY how a major should play. Obviously a test for the best 100+ players in the world. The rough was definitely punishment. At this point, only two rounds under par for the opening round. But more importantly, there were few blow-up rounds. When there's more than just a few 80+ rounds (hey, how ya' doin' Shinnecock?), something's wrong. When the greens won't hold an approach, even a soft fade, something's wrong.

Oakmont played fair today. Tough, tough rough and greens that required plenty of touch.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^^^^

but it still brought a lot of top pros to their knees...if the Majors would crown champions with scores between -3 and +3 then hey sweet...I realize (Eldrick at the 2000 Open at Pebble) that there are exceptions...but those would be fair scores and in a sense that is all I am asking...

but still what is wrong with watching Eldrick (insert pro) struggle a little?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Looks like it’s going to be a bit tougher today. Only one golfer (Paul Casey) under par for his round today, and only four at even par.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well, the scores are blowin' up today... as if we didn't know THAT was going to happen. To reiterate, it's to the point where it's almost not fun to watch.

I'm watching it this morning while I work, and I see what would be some damned fine shots, but end up rolling not only by the hole, not only off the green, but down the backslope of the crowned green leaving a 30-40 yd. chip shot back to the hole. Bullshit.

I see a great 5 iron to a par three, pin cut front. Ball lands softly, on the front of the green (about 15 ft in front of the pin, gently roll towards the hole, then start roll backwards off the front of the green.

I don't tune in to watch the pros make damned fine shots that morph into bad leaves. I tune in to watch them do what I, or any other everyday golfer, can't do.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dougherty just went bogey double-bogey, and now there's no one under par. Winning score should be about +6.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:Dougherty just went bogey double-bogey, and now there's no one under par. Winning score should be about +6.
Baddely and Rose's +2 they posted this morning should be leading before the day is over.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

absolutely brutal......but as El Tigre said

"tough but fair"

severely sloped fairways......six inch rough that is vacuumed to make sure it stands straight up so an errant ball will nestle all the way to the bottom....greens rolling at 13 to 13.5 on a stimp meter.....pretty amazing to think the members at Oakmont typically play the greens at about 15 and the USGA actually had to slow them down for the Open....

I'm a relatively decent muny player but I seriously doubt I could break 90 on that course.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ken wrote:I tune in to watch them do what I can't do.

Hit a 6 Iron more than 125 yards?

Sprout chest hair?

Make it past the first round with a 6 year old girl?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:Well, the scores are blowin' up today... as if we didn't know THAT was going to happen. To reiterate, it's to the point where it's almost not fun to watch.
I will backtrack a bit on this. While Firday looked to be pretty tough, Saturday was set up perfectly. Good shots were definitely rewarded rather than screwed up the bunger by a green that wouldn't hold it. Today, an even round or something like 1 or 2 under will take the tourney... the way it should be.

Overall, I think the USGA and Oakmont have done a superb job. The cream is definitely rising. No doubt, the USGA learned a hell of lot from the debacle that Shinnecock was.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

i got yellos golf balls for fathers day. so instead of aiming at the neightbotrs mailbox, im going for my bedroom windon when my wife is asleed. we have a really loving marriage and she needs a shot to to head and perhaps im so happy my boy got me golf balls. even though i only gold in thfronyt yard and im pretty sure the dinner shes going ot cook is going to suckl..

life is good nonetheless.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain