The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Cavs-Spurs

Post by RadioFan »

First off, a good read about SA by the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/sport ... ref=slogin

Also, I like the first part of this column (everything before the "DATELINE:" transition entry, whining about the Warriors), posted on the Spurs' Web site:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_6045902

So far, most of the "experts" have the Spurs winning the championship in 5 or 6. SA is favored by 7.5 at home in Game 1.

After seeing Cleveland dismantle Detroit in Game 6 of the ECFs, I initially was thinking Spurs in 6, given how much tougher they seem to be at home (sort of reminds of me of Utah). But now, I'll say Spurs in 5.

Hate to say it, too, because a championship win by an opponent on Cleveland's floor would be pretty painful, given how that city has had way more than its fair share of sports agony in the last 40 freaking years.

If the Cavs were playing anyone else (ok, maybe except for the Suns), I'd be pulling for them as an NBA fan.

That being said, I think Mike Brown has a long way to go and despite Popovich downplaying it, I think coaching could be a factor in the series. Not a huge factor, but a factor. I've heard Mike Brown many times as a Spurs assistant coach on the radio doing pre-game interviews. Dude isn't an Xs and Os guy, nor did he ever strike me as particularly insightful. He started to have a sense of humor during the Spurs championship run in 2003, finally.

Hank Egan, on the other hand, is an Xs and Os guy, and a very good one. He ended up in Cleveland with Mike Brown. If Cleveland does well in this series, everybody should be giving that guy huge props.

I'm fully anticipating this series to be Lakerized -- as in -- if the Spurs win a game it won't be "Spurs outshoot the Cavs" or "Spurs' bench is great," or even "Spurs' defense shuts down the Cavs."

It will be, "What happened to LeBron?"

ESPN has got the scripts already written. Bank on it.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I'll be at my watering hole for game 1 and a Spurs watch party.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

The Spurs win this series in 4 or 5. And you are right about the "what happened to Lebron" scenario. The Spurs will not Lebron single-handedly beat them like the Pistons did. This series won't be close.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Mook wrote:The Spurs win this series in 4 or 5. And you are right about the "what happened to Lebron" scenario. The Spurs will not Lebron single-handedly beat them like the Pistons did. This series won't be close.
hard to disagree. Spurs have a lot of D options for Lebron. i like to see it get interesting, but i won't be planning my next 3 weeks around the finals.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

This series is over in 4 period. All of the games will be decided by 7 or more points. A real snoozer for anyone wanting to see some excitement in this final series.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I hate the Spurs and I dont like LeBron. I doubt I will watch any of it, but I guess I would rather see the Spurs win so that I dont have to hear how LeBron is the greatest player of all-time every time I turn on the TV or the radio.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Just saw the promo for the series and I have a question. How would you consider a team a dynasty? The promo said the Spurs were looking for their 4th title in 9 years to "cement" themselves as a dynasty. I find that a bit ridiculous. The Spurs won none of their titles back to back, which I thought was somewhat of a prerequisite to be called a dynasty. The Laker teams who won 3 straight from 2000-2002 are a dynasty. I find it a bit tough to call the SPurs the same thing if they beat Cleveland.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, the dynasty debate is a little iffy, but 4(?) out of nine probably gets it, just for being a threat for 9 straight years.

Cleveleand has no chance in this series whatsoever. Then again, I said that about the last series...although the Spurs don't have the meltdown artists in their ranks that the Pistons do.

Spurs in 6.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Not being arrogant here, just honest.

I took my dogs to the park, with about 5 1/2 minutes left in the 4th.

Granted, I got a little concerned when I had run the dogs for a bit, and went back to the car to check WOAI, and the Cavs had cut it to 11, with 4 1/2 to go. But a I ran my dogs anyway.

San Antonio took Cleveland to school tonight.

I expect it to be a much closer game on Sunday.

RACK WOAI, btw., for nearly 20 years living in Kansas and Oklahoma, and the play-by-play sounds of Jay Howard (~'88-99) and Bill Schoening ('00-present). And NO "color commentator" for more than three decades now. ONLY the play-by-play dude.

Yep. RACK IT.

That's how SpursRadioFans roll.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

RadioFan wrote: I expect it to be a much closer game on Sunday.
I don't........the Spurs will be sharp after their long lay-off. The Spurs are just so much better than Cleveland. Game 2 will look just like Game 1.

Cavs will win one game at home when San Antonio falls asleep.......but that's it.

The reality is that both Phoenix and Utah would beat Cleveland badly......and SA handled both of them. They will beat Cleveland worse than PHX or Utah........should be a sweep, but Cleveland grabs one and it goes 5.....at least that what my series bet says!!!
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

This was Spursball at its finest. They will grind for 48 minutes. They will play you even all night and wait for a string of stops and scores then all of a sudden they're up a dozen. With their commitment on the defensive end of the floor they most likely won't lose a game in this series. They are the class of the league.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I missed too much of game 1 with a group of older women insisting on rubbing my bald head every few moments. :evil:

It took a friend of mine getting real shitty about it to get them to back off. I didn't mind one of the four doing it but the other three made me feel "dirty".
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If any group of women offer to rub my "bald head," rather than my balding head, I usually don't protest too much. Especially while I'm kicking back watching a ball game. Add a couple of beers to the mix, and it sounds downright pleasant.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Dinsdale wrote:If any group of women offer to rub my "bald head," rather than my balding head, I usually don't protest too much. Especially while I'm kicking back watching a ball game. Add a couple of beers to the mix, and it sounds downright pleasant.
Normally I would agree but three of them looked like Mac Trucks had run them over and the fourth was hot as hell so I tolerated the others...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BTW -- this should cement Mike Brown's bid for Horrible Coach of the Year Award.

Way to neutralize your superlative slasher by trying to play pick-and-roll with the Spurs.

Horrrrrrible coaching, and if that wasn't bad enough, the jackass had the audacity to blame LeBron for his own horrible coaching.

Get that team a new coach, and they might end up dominant.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:Way to neutralize your superlative slasher by trying to play pick-and-roll with the Spurs.
~ grin ~

Duncan posterizing LB in the 1st quarter with the block was kinda cool, given that LB says he has a pic of him posterizing Duncan on his locker.

Oh, and speaking of pick-and-rolls ... Cleveland might want to try defending it. Dunks in the series: Duncan 2-LB 0.

Oh, and RACK Michael Finley. I don't know if it's been written anywhere yet, but how fitting is it that he gets the first basket of this series?

I was yelling, watching that shit. RACK IT.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:Cleveland might want to try defending it.

Mike Brown better get to Googling "pick and roll," since he doesn't seem to understand the concept.

Like maybe going under it instead of over, so the opposing point isn't getting open layups all game.

I think any sort of switch is too far beyond the scope of Bropwn's understaning.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

One of my co-workers challenged me to a bet: That Cleveland would win 2 out of 3 at home. I laughed before taking him up.

My suspicion is dude tuned in after the Sopranos and saw only the 4th quarter.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Btw, Marc Stein nailed it, while John Hollinger is still whining.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Nice job, Coach Brown.

The mental preparation the Cavs have recieved is beyond reproach. Sure, to the casual observer, it merely looked like the Cavs were freaking idiots, but to those "in the know"...those enlightened ones realize that not calling a timeout with seconds to go was part of Brown's master plan to catch the Spurs off gaurd.

"Everyone is expecting the ball the go to LeChoke...we'll show them!"

Because when the championship is on the line, there's no player in the history of the game I'd rather have driving the lane than Sideshow Varejao.

Brown's accomplishments in this series are nothing short of remarkable.

-Play pick-and-roll with the Spurs...Check. The Spurs don't know the P'n'R game very well, and any offesive set that's designed to bring an extra defender towards LeChoke and slow him down at the point is genius.

-Defending the P'n'R the same way over and over and over and over and over...Check. After all, the Spurs would have expected it had the Cavs tried to defend the other side of the pick, and made Parker shoot over the top, rather than getting a free pass to the rim every play.

-Mental prep...Check. When you've got an inexperienced team like that, the opponent is expecting you to call timeouts with the game on the line.

Rotations....Check. After all, the Spurs were expecting Brown to replace the obviously hobbled Larry Hughes in the starting lineup. Brown definitely caught them off gaurd with that move. Of course, Parker caught Hughes off gaurd with every move, but you win some and you lose some, I guess.

So, I must RACK the Cavs. The idea that they made it this far while enduring possibly the worst coaching performance I've ever seen in my life, is an amazing accomplishment. Then again, they need to put Rasheed's name on the Eastern Championship banner...the man who engineered the greatest choke in playoff history wasn't done taking his team out of contention yet...he's a freaking veteran saboteur, and he was out to prove he's not washed up yet, and can still drag an entire team down with the best of them.

RACK the Spurs for closing out their semi-dynasty with style. Their era ends within two years, but it's been a great ride. Duncan should probably retire while his nickname is still the Big Fundemental, since it's about to change to Oden's Bitch #1.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Wow, the TV rating sure suck.

Based solely on my own local observations, this is kind of odd.

Every diehard I know has been glued to the tube throughout what has been an epic bunch of playoffs. I believe this market segment will generally be a constant.

It's obviously the casual fans who are staying away in droves.

I fully blame David Stern, and I wish the NBA could ditch the tool, and replace him with someone with some brains and business savvy.

In the post- Bird/Earv Era, there was a slight letdown, and the waning of the Resurrectors created a void, which MJ filled quite competently. But Bird and Magic created their own air-of-superstardom, and NBA popularity skyrocketted throughout their tenure at the top. In an ill-advised attempt to recreate the superstar allure, "the other Jordan Rules" came into play -- MJ got to do whatever he wanted on the court.

4 step to drive the basket? No problem..it's MJ.

A flagrant push-off? Well, it's MJ...it's allowed.

How pathetic that rather than trying to forget about this horrible misguided attempt to create superstars, the NBA markets it? If I have to see one more "Finals Moments" ad where we are all reminded of the gross whoring of the game to create an artificial buzz, I'm going to puke. The very idea that the NBA is trying to promote itself by showing MJ actually throwing his defender down with his off-hand, allowing him an uncontested game-winner is revolting.

First off -- it's not like MJ needed three extra teammates wearing gray jerseies. He was pretty freaking good on his own merit, which is well beyond any and all argument. If he's so much better than everyone else, why sully the game by giving him extra love, rather than making him play by the same rules as everyone else?

If the black kettle shoe was on the other pot foot, would Bryon Russel, given the opportunity to win the Finals with one shot, have been allowed to palm the ball, while tossing MJ to the floor for an open look?

I kinda doubt it.

In the eyes of many jaded fans, this was the defining moment of the WWFNBA.

Ratings began to plummet. So, what was Stern's master plan to combat this?

Why of course...continue the practice that drove the loyal fans away in the first place. Pure genius.

With the waning of MJ's reign of dominance(which he would have accomplished without the refs' help), the Association needed a new face to hitch their wagon to.

Enter the Big Marketable.

Shaq was bigger than life, both literally and figuratively. Affable, charismatic, and gave the impression of having high character.

So what if a few rules needed to be "modified" to make him the New Face of the NBA?

Shaq would have been nothing more than a bench-player without help from the league. No discernible skills, save for the intelligence to take advantage of what the refs gave him. Catch the ball low, drop the shoulder, and go out of his way to initiate contact with anyone in the paint, with head-and-shoulders down...an offensive foul by any interperetation of the rulebook. Hit one-of-two at the line...repeat ad nauseum.

But hey, what's a little bending of the rules, when it comes to marketing a superstar?

To make sure Shaq got his due, they also gave Kobe consideration under the "Dr. J" clause of the rulebook -- it doesn't matter how many steps you take, as long as you make a spectacular finish.

And "the hand is part of the ball"...so long as it isn't Dwayne Wade's hand. Then it becomes a 12-shot foul.

The refs look through their Palm Pilot and look up the database of who has the biggest dollar endorsement deals before they make a ruling on the on-floor violation.

And frankly, people are tired of it.

So what does Genius Stern and his minions come up with for a mater plan?

Instead of enforcing the written rules, instead of marketing the reign of one of the greatest players to ever step on the hardwood, they...

Actually, I'm not even sure what their strategy is. It's all over the map. Showing highlights of guys like Walton, Jabbar, Bird, and Earv doing it the old-fasioned way has been a fairly money trip down memory lane, for sure. But the rest of the marketing campaign would have to improve a great deal to qualify as "pathetic."

After the Debacle at Auburn Hills, and all of the negative press that has much of the casual fanbase sticking to the impression that the NBA is "a bunch of criminal thugs"(as the Thug League, the NFL, continues to increase its popularuty), Stern had a golden opportunity. There aren't two less thug-based teams than the Spurs and Cavs. While LeBron is an arrogant jackass for the ages(what a freaking prick he's growing up to be), at least LeChoke has the common sense to downplay his abrasive personality, which the NBA should be thankful for.

Maybe instead of showing the tragedy the NBA has become by showing us MJ's legendary foul to win the Finals, the marketing department could instead showcase the unity of the Spurs, and highlight what great members of the community the Spurs are, which would at least be a step in shedding the "thug" image.

They could do an interest story on the pregame show showing Ira Newble's passion for the goings-on in Darfur, and his attempt to use his 15 minutes of fame to help out humanity(an effort LeDick has done his best to undermine, so as to protect his endorsement deals...what a POS LeDork is).

Heck, before the Finals, how about doing an unscripted bit that exposes the casual fans to Steve Nash's wry sense of humor, stemming from his humility?

But instead of making these the new faces of the NBA, Stern has instead chosen to let the public go ahead with their "thug" perception, and continues to remind us of everything that went wrong with the NBA in the 90's, which they don't seem to be in any hurry to rectify.

It's a shame. It also isn't helping that some of the largest media markets currently have some of the worst general managers in the history of pro sports. Isiah hasn't seen a bad deal that he didn't want to make. Danny Ainge is one of the bigger dumbasses to ever take the helm, and should ensure pergatory for Celtic Pride for at least another decade. The Bulls can't quite decide what personality they want to don -- a defensive lock-you-up team, or a high-flying jam-it-in-your-face-on-the-break squad. Drafting Tyrus Thomas to compliment Ben Wallace? Yeah, ohhhkay. The Lakers and Cupcake did nothing during their dynasty to keep the egos and greed in check. Detroit failed to bring anyone who could reign in Rasheed(not that I'm saying that's even possible). Golden State doesn't even try to sign anyone decent. Phoenix is now putting profit before winning, and looking to ditch Marion -- who may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but anyone who questions Marion's silent leadership and work ethic is a fool.

Those larger-market failures have paved the way for teams that do hoops business the "old-fashion" way -- find a guy you want to hitch your wagon to, make him happy financially, and surround him with staff that he can get along with over the long-term. SA didn't try to sign every big name free agent out there, they didn't have a revolving door of coaching, and they didn't sacrifice their thug-free image for some quick returns. They are absolutely thriving in the #37 media market(which when you just look at raw numbers, San Antonio has no business even having an NBA team, much less having a dominant one).

But does Stern and Co even try and use this to the advantage of the entire league?

Of course not...trotting out ncient clips of MJ fouling guys is a much better strategy.

Stern needs to go.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

And here I was about to post a few thoughts about tonight's championship.

Great post, Dins.

RACK

Yesterday (Wednesday), I was talking with a guy at work whom I'm pretty sure is one of the few "casual fans" who watched the Finals. Dude doesn't follow any particular team, but initiated a converstation with me because he knows I'm a huge SA fan. Have been for nearly 25 years now. Hell, my username is a direct result of moving AM antennas, stereos and furniture around my various dwellings thoughout the years, just so I could hear WOAI and Spurs' broadcasts.

Anyway, dude says: "People are always complaining because there's so many thugs in the NBA," he said. "So then you have a team like the Spurs, where nobody's getting into trouble, all they do is win without any fanfare, and people want to call them 'boring.' I just don't understand what people think they want."

Dude is not a talkative guy at work. In fact, he's one of the quietest guys in the office, which is why it kind of surprised me that he initiated a conversation about sports and had a take that most Spurs fans already know, and have known for years (Rodman's idiocy and Horry's cheap shot against Nash this year notwithstanding).

The Spurs are the most successful franchise in U.S. professional sports in the last decade, and not only are they a dynasty, but they are a dynasty with class.

It's no secret that anyone with even the most remote ties to San Antonio -- not to mention someone like me who lived there 10 years, graduated from high school there and spent years seeing this team come so close, first in the early '80s with the Gervin-led teams, then in the 90s with Robinson and Elliott -- has incredible (yet relatively quiet) pride in this team, and for all the RIGHT reasons.

David Stern, for all of his marketing "genius" and his candor, has flat-out dropped the ball (excuse the pun) when it comes to the story of the Spurs over the last 10 years -- hell, the last 25 years. The only time dude even mentions the franchise is when he's forced to deal publically with some asshole on some other team who's fucked up in the criminal arena by beating his wife or gf, or driving while intoxicated, or is arrested for rape ('sup RJ) -- as in like every other week -- then, Stern will mention SA and say some bullshit like, "No, I'm not worried about the perception of the league. We have a lot of model players and teams in this league. Just look at the San Antonio Spurs or the Cleveland Caveliers ..."

Fucking asshat.

To be fair though, I don't think he's Darth Stern, fixing games and orchestrating every foul call, as some would believe ('sup Nick Frisco NBA Fan?).

His sin is continuing to sign off on an NBA marketing model that went out when Jordan did, imo.

I've got no problem with the little promo video they did this year before each finals game, especially because it included announcers from other networks (Marv Albert's call on the Jordan shot on NBC, for example). That's rare, and gets a RACK, given how TV is so much about "YOU'RE WATCHING ***," ad nauseum.

Granted, I'm neutral on the video itself, but I will say that the run the fucking Larry Bird-led Boston teams still get, is getting more than tiresome. Talk about waving a towel to the past. Jesus. Enough already.

Btw, Celtic Fan: Duncan, 4. Bird, 3. :bode:

RACK Cleveland Fan for booing Stern when he went corporate speak during the trophy presentation.

Unfortunately, I don't see Stern leaving anytime soon, especially when he's got TV "coverage" wrapped around his dick. That, to me is worse than Stern. Idiots like Michael Wilbon, proclaiming shit like (paraphrasing here) the Spurs shouldn't repeat, because it isn't good for the league.

Stern has tools like Wilbon working for free who can reach millions on TV ... errr, making triple figures via the network covering the NBA, for Christ's sake. No way Stern's going anywhere soon with those kind of East Coast dick sucklers doing more work in a few idiotic segments of commentary than Stern could hope to do in 100 press conferences.

Btw, the East still SUCKS.

Bow down to The West Again, bitches.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

The Spurs are a mini-dynasty. The only team to win more than the Spurs are the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls. How sweet it is.

I have a couple of buddies from Cleveland. They were in total shock when the Cavs beat the Pistons. They both called to talk some shit about the series. I told them to enjoy the feeling now because in 2 weeks they would feel like Cleveland sport fan again.

There are now 10 words that every kid that loves Cleveland sports knows: "The Drive", "The Fumble", "Art Modell", "Jose Mesa", and "The Sweep".

Rack the Spurs!
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

RadioFan wrote:Btw, the East still SUCKS.

What he said.

Rack the Spurs, and yes, feel free to use the D word all you want.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Diogenes wrote:
RadioFan wrote:Btw, the East still SUCKS.

What he said.

Rack the Spurs, and yes, feel free to use the D word all you want.
OK, dipshit.

Rack the Spurs.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Harvdog wrote: There are now 10 words that every kid that loves Cleveland sports knows: "The Drive", "The Fumble", "Art Modell", "Jose Mesa", and "The Sweep".

Rack the Spurs!
My favorite line I read said something along the lines of:

"The 2007 NBA Finals were supposed to be the coming out party for LeBron. If LeBron is French for Tony Parker... I guess they were right."

:lol:
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

RadioFan wrote:all they do is win without any fanfare, and people want to call them 'boring'
It's not the Spurs per se, but the NBA as a commodity that is boring. The game is boring. Incredibly fucking boring. So boring that no one outside of San Antonio and Cleveland actually watched any of the beatdown that was the NBA finals. But this shit is hardly San Antonio's fault.
The Spurs are the most successful franchise in U.S. professional sports in the last decade, and not only are they a dynasty, but they are a dynasty with class.
Yep. Rack the Spurs, coaching staff, and fans.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Dinsdale wrote:Those larger-market failures have paved the way for teams that do hoops business the "old-fashion" way -- find a guy you want to hitch your wagon to, make him happy financially, and surround him with staff that he can get along with over the long-term.
In that case, say hello to the 2008 NBA champs, the Washington Bulle..err...zards starring Gilbert Arenas.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Thanks, Mo.

Dio, Phx is due. I still think the de-facto championship this year was the SA-Phx series. I'll be the first one to RACK the Suns, when they finally do it. They are very similar to San Antonio, in the sense that they don't have guys getting arrested for beating up their wives or hiring "bodyguards" who happen to shot people.

As to the boring nature of this year's Finals, I heard an interesting concept being touted by someone on ESPN radio ...

To take out the conference element in the playoffs -- simply seed teams 1-16 based on records.

I also heard somebody from the same radio network touting a 1-16 seeded single-game elimination tourney, but no way in hell something like that would ever happen.

Thoughts on the former?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

stuckinia wrote: In that case, say hello to the 2008 NBA champs, the Washington Bulle..err...zards starring Gilbert Arenas.
That model doesn't work if the wagon-puller is an overrated, arrogant, shoot-first-pass-never point gaurd.