Regionals

PING!

The Tourney has begun!

Moderators: Left Seater, Mr T

Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Regionals

Post by Mr T »

Here is the matchups I see in Super Regionals, winners in bold...

Vandy vs. UVA
LBST vs. Cal St-Full
ASU vs. Ole Miss
Zona vs. Texas
Rice vs. TAMU
Miami vs. Arkansas
FSU vs. Clemson
South Carolina vs. North Carolina
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

lousiville crushes miami. very suprised.

miami was up 7-3 after 2, and got blown out. they were the favs in the regional in my opinion. their lineup is stacked with talent.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Illi-Chicago over LBST was the biggest upset of the first day.

Vandy needed everything to beat Austin Peay.

Other notable upsets:
New Orleans over Wichita St
Fresno St over San Diego
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

i was going to give Louisville a ton of credit, win or lose tomorrow, but after the bush league shit their player pulled tonight, i hope Mu barries a 2 seam fastball right in the cocksuckers earhole.

2-2 game top of 8th, dominguez hits 2 run homer to put lou on top, hey, great job by lousiville, but then, smickity rears its ugly head.

as dominguez is rounding the bases, hes talking shit to MU players, then prances around 3rd base, talking shit, while doing circles before standing on home plate yelling shit to fans. then looks back at MU dugout and yells more shit, then comes out to start inning talking shit to mu dugout the whole time. i mean cmon, even smickity in his worst wouldnt have his kids pull that type of shit. uncalled for, no matter who you are.

fuck dominguez and louisville, go zou

he also bowed when he stepped on home plate(louisville courier) :meds:
Last edited by Adelpiero on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Were you at the game, adel?

Agreed, that's some uncalled for crap. Let's hope we can get up for the next.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

A&M forced game 3 with U-La-La tonight. Wish I coul cath it on the tube.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

IndyFrisco wrote:A&M forced game 3 with U-La-La tonight. Wish I coul cath it on the tube.
try cstv

or online.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

MU gets poleaxed in finale

pretty disappointing, not that they lost, but to let the piece of shit from louisville get into their heads.

they were picked to finish 9th or 10th. lost their offense, lost their #1 starter, who was one of best in college baseball, lost their #2, who was one of the better lefties in cball last year, and came into season with a young team.

they overachieved, finished 2nd in big12, only lost one series in big12, and hosted a regional. to me, although it ends on sour note, i say the season was a very good one.

props to MU and coach timmy j

now i root for okie st
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Well the noles took a early and surprising exit.

I figured clemson would take us down in the supers.

Well fuck it, another year and another coming up short for Martin and the noles.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Michigan takes out Vandy in 10 innings.

Rack the Blue!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote: now i root for okie st
Good luck with that.

Didn't they get pretty much stomped by Mizzou this year?
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

How do they figure out who gets awarded a regional? Its odd that so many of the regionals were held in the south east part of the country. The only regional that had a western team in it that wasnt won by the western team was Wichita States regional where they beat Zona.
Why did Wichita get to host the super regional as well, wasnt UCI deserving?
The Pac 9 is the strrongest conference in baseball by far and they only ever get to host 1 Regional, the SEC hosted 4 of the 16 regionals.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

SoCalTrjn wrote:How do they figure out who gets awarded a regional? Its odd that so many of the regionals were held in the south east part of the country. The only regional that had a western team in it that wasnt won by the western team was Wichita States regional where they beat Zona.
Why did Wichita get to host the super regional as well, wasnt UCI deserving?
The Pac 9 is the strrongest conference in baseball by far and they only ever get to host 1 Regional, the SEC hosted 4 of the 16 regionals.
the pac 10 is strongest?

are you really this stupid?

seriously, lefty, mrt, take the trash out.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Big 12
Texas 6 National Titles
Oklahoma 2 National Titles
Missouri 1 National Title
Oklahoma St 1 National title
total titles 10
SEC
LSU 5 National titles
Georgia 1 National title
total titles 6
Pac 9
USC 12 National Titles
ASU 4 National titles
Arizona 3 National titles
Stanford 2 National titles
Cal 2 National titles
Oregon State 1 National title
total titles 25
plus Fullertons 4 titles and Pepperdines title that were won after the NCAA cut the scholarship limit to 11 per team so USC would stop winning every year
The best baseball is played out west
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Big 12
Texas 6 National Titles
total titles 10
SEC
LSU 5 National titles
Georgia 1 National title
total titles 6
Pac 9
USC 12 National Titles
ASU 4 National titles
Cal 2 National titles
total titles 25
plus Fullertons 4 titles and Pepperdines title that were won after the NCAA cut the scholarship limit to 11 per team so USC would stop winning every year
seriously, are you this retarded.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

the only regional that had a western team in it that wasnt won by a western team was Wuichita States.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Big 12
Texas 6 National Titles
total titles 10
SEC
LSU 5 National titles
Georgia 1 National title
total titles 6
Pac 9
USC 12 National Titles
ASU 4 National titles
Cal 2 National titles
total titles 25
Myopic much? USC has not had a consistant team in 35 years. The 1998 team that won it all could mash. But then what? What have you done since?? Nothing. Quit living off the past. Where is Yale football fan when you need him to bring up their 17 national championships?

Your grouping is ridiculous. Let's look at the numbers.....

25 National titles for the west. 12 came from USC and all but 10 were before 1974. So let's start in 1975, which is a more modern era due to the changes of the regional system. Since then the West has won 15 titles between Arizona St. winning 2, CSF winning 4, USC winning 2, Pepperdine, OSU, Stanford winning 2 and U of A winning 3. The South has won 16 titles with LSU winning 5, Miami winning 4, Texas winning 4 and OU, UGA and Rice. It is pretty obvious that both areas have good baseball with a few dominant programs. But to come out and say that the West is superior is false. Based on championships it is clearly the South.

When USC dominated in the late 60's and 70's there was a completely different format. There were 22 teams and USC played in a 3 team regional. Some teams didn't even play a regional, they just went to the College WS. That format changed in 1975. Since then USC has won 2 titles.

Looking to this years field it is pretty obvious that it will be 17 titles. I like Rice to win #2.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

so youre going to count the west as just 3 states and everything east of new mexico as the south? Id put the the Texas schools in the middle part of the country with Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri. Austin is as close to LA as it is to Miami and I constantly see idiots refer to Texas as the "South West," never heard of it refered to as as the "South East"

What I said was that the Pac has been the best conference in baseball and has only ever hosted 1 regional a year while the SEC hosts 4 or more regionals it seems every year.

Before the current Super Regional format the NCAA awarded regionals based on attendance and rankings instead of just rankings alone, thats the grown-up equivalent of the Sunny Delight rule in AYSO soccer that places teams in the playoffs based on positive parent participation. Award the best teams, not the teams that play in the area with the least amount of stuff to do.
in 1996 USC was #1 in the polls, they were Pac 6 Champs, had swept Stanford 6-0 and USC was shipped off to a regional in Lubbock while Stanford got to host a Regional in Palo Alto.

It hasnt seemed to change this year as the Regionals still went to schools who had large attendance numbers instead of teams that finished in the top 16. Ole Miss wasnt inside of the top 20 in any of the season end polls and got to host a joke of a regional bracket while UC Irvine finished 9th in the nation and had to go play in #5 Texas' regional

35 years... USC won titles in 72, 73, 74, 78 and 98... thats 5 titles in 35 years. The rule change that hurt USC was the scholarship limit of just 11, since that rule came in to place you see the emergence of schools within 25 miles of USCs campus starting to become very good. Without the 11 scholarship rule Fullerton, Long Beach State, Pepperdine, UC Irvines best players all still go to USC.
Gillespie did a poor job recruiting, theres no arguement about that but his teams still finished in the top 10 half the years he was at the school and the top 15 nearly every year he was there. His son in law had what was called the #3 class in the nation last year but he played all of them this year instead of the veterans, USCs leading pitcher this year is still 17 years old. What adds to the sting is long time Trojan Savage doing well at UCLA and cleaning up with local recruiting. Kreuters one star recruit this year was Catcher Mike Moustakas but he was just drafted #2 overall and will likely never set foot on a college campus.
USC pitching coach Dave Lawn left and that seems to have the fans at SC happy but I think the school is going to take its millions and throw it at a better coach, Im hoping Garido comes home to coach the Trojans and gets Ted Silva to handle the pitchers. There are also talks of a new and improved baseball facilities, Chad Kreuter cant keep his job much longer when all the Trojan fans want hime out
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

The overruled call in the UCI WSU game was a travesty. If you're going to change a call at first base, made by the first base umpire, you'd better be goddamn sure you've got it right.

Lucky for all the Anteaters won the game anyway. The whole umpiring crew should be fired on the spot.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

they were scared of the 8000 hillbillies in the stands. Wichita has to have the ugliest fan base in college baseball history. Why Serrano didnt go to Erickson with 2 outs in the 9th is a total mystery
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The NCAA has no balls. They should make it clear in no uncertain terms that if any umpires are killed there will be no more super regionals held there for a period of at least 10 years. That might give the umps a little more confidence to stand behind their calls.

It was pretty funny though to see the picture of obvious ball in glove and foot on base while the call was being overturned. What a bunch of dicks. Is there any way to play a college game under protest?
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The worst part is that Irvine had to go to Wichita in the first place, the Shockers finished the year ranked 15th, Irvine was 9th and had to play the Regionals and Super Regionals on the road. Bias against West Coast teams
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Catcher Mike Moustakas

It's my understanding that Moustakas hasn't played catcher since about 7th grade(probably the last time Toejam molested him).

He was drafted as a SS...which he won't play in the pros, since he's too damn slow. The day he was drafted, KC had him tagged as a 3B. If he's that slow, he might well end up in LF by the time he sees the Bigs.

BTW -- it's also my understanding that regionals and superregionals are awarded through an application process. Oregon State got the SR over Michigan because UM never applied in advance(probably weren't figuring they'd make it that far).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: BTW -- it's also my understanding that regionals and superregionals are awarded through an application process.
Yep, and each school bidding for a regional has to up a minimum $50 grand. Mizzou bid $70 grand just to ensure it got a regional this year.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Adelpiero wrote:the pac 10 is strongest?

are you really this stupid?

While I'd just as soon wear Beaver gear than agree with Toejam about...anything...

The last time I checked, the Baseball Title still resided in the PAC10. According to the Rules of Scoreboard...

You can figure it out.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

So far the Big West has 2 teams in the dance.

Pac 10 has 1 in and one still playing.

No other conference has more than one team still alive.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Pac 10 has 1 in and one still playing.
And that "one" can finish up tonight.

I'd say confidence is on the Beavs' side, since they have a 1-0 lead in the series, and were no-hit through 8 2/3rds yesterday, and held to one hit...the one that won the game 1-0.

And I think I just missed out on a ticket to tonight's game. I think the guy with the extras is actually going to make it...too bad for me. I hate the Beavs with a passion(although U of O doesn't do baseball, I still refuse to root for the Beavs in anything), but I loves me some baseball. Wish I was going.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

All I know is the south has 4 teams in Omaha and it looks like the west is getting 4 teams.

We will find out who the best is the 15 through the 25.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The South? Irvine, ASU and Fullerton are all further South than Louisville, Kentucky.
The ACC sent one team out of the 12 in their conference, The SEC sent one team out of the 12 in their conference, Conference USA sent 1 team out of the 9 in their conference, The Big West sent 2 teams out of their conference of 8 and the Pac sent 2 teams out of their conference of 9.
I would like to see the teams split up so that you can have 2 teams from the west or two teams from the east play in the finals if those are infact the 2 best teams. Texas is in the middle of the country so Rice could have gone in to either side of the bracket.
Irvine and Fullerton both have great pitching, with Dave Serrano having been a long time pitching coach at Fullerton he has modeled UCIs squad after the Titans. Its nice to see the 2 schools behind the Orange Curtain both do very well and have our tiny little county represent 25% of the teams in Omaha
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Witchita State shouldn't have been in the tourny to begin with...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Any team with a nickname that means "two in the pink and one in the stink" deserves all the play they can get.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

SoCalTrjn wrote:The South? Irvine, ASU and Fullerton are all further South than Louisville, Kentucky.
You failed geography didnt you?

Kentucky isnt south? ok whatever you say buddy.

Click this link and learn something
I would like to see the teams split up so that you can have 2 teams from the west or two teams from the east play in the finals if those are infact the 2 best teams. Texas is in the middle of the country so Rice could have gone in to either side of the bracket.
Texas is in the south. I am sure we will go through this over and over again

BTW, The teams are split up like that....

sincerely,
The bracket
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I saw that Miss St, Louisville, Rice and North Carolina are on one side of the bracket and UC Irvine, Fullerton, Oregon State and Arizona state are on the other, hopefully the bracket i saw was wrong, Id like to see Irvine play Fullerton for the title if they are the 2 best teams

yeah I know Texas is in the South but so are Irvine, ASU and Fullerton. I have seen people in Texas refer to the state as the south west and not the south east, when you look at a map they seem to be in the middle so perhaps they should call themselves the South Central.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote: yeah I know Texas is in the South but so are Irvine, ASU and Fullerton. I have seen people in Texas refer to the state as the south west and not the south east, when you look at a map they seem to be in the middle so perhaps they should call themselves the South Central.

OK...what you can't seem to grasp, is that some of the regional naming conventions don't make literal sense in today's geography.

When you use "South" as a proper name(which you did...the capital letter out front told me), you're referring to the southeastern portion of the country. Most Texans I come across don't like to be identified as being from the South.

Is it making sense yet?

The region I live in is referred to as the Pacific Northwest, yet it's actually on the east side of the Pacific...ain't that just a bitch?

Here, let's get a different perspective, shall we?

SoCalTrjn wrote:look at a map they seem to be in the middle so perhaps they should call themselves the South Central.

See, now if we stuck to "letter-of-the-law," literal descriptive names for everything, you'd be posting under the screenname Complete Dumbfuck, now wouldn't you?
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Oregon and washington are in the North West and that is what I hear that area refered to most often. But you have shown me the light, you can refer to yourself as the Pacific North West as fact actually has nothing to do with the names people want to call the regions they live in. Ill stay down here in the South East and be happy living in the South East. Odd though that if I lived about 10 miles further South I would move from the South East to the North West as I would then be in San Diego County
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Texas is not southern, just sayin'.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Dinsdale wrote: Most Texans I come across don't like to be identified as being from the South.
They dont want to be identified as anything other than texan from what I recall
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

SoCalTrjn wrote:I saw that Miss St, Louisville, Rice and North Carolina are on one side of the bracket and UC Irvine, Fullerton, Oregon State and Arizona state are on the other, hopefully the bracket i saw was wrong, Id like to see Irvine play Fullerton for the title if they are the 2 best teams
One minute you say rice is the best team and now you are saying Irvine and Fullerton are the best teams. Pick one and stay with it.

Sorry I misunderstood you earlier. I thought you wanted a South vs. West final but no you wanted a west vs. west final. I dont know how that would be entertaining at all though.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mr T wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: Most Texans I come across don't like to be identified as being from the South.
They dont want to be identified as anything other than texan from what I recall
DINGDINGDING!
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I said that being in Orange County it would be cool to see the 2 teams from here play for the title if they were the 2 best teams. If they broke the teams up by seeds in Omaha that would be ok, I just wish they would have had west teams in both brackets.

I have said all along that I thought Rice was the team to beat in this tourney.

whats wrong with an all west finals?