Greatest. Player. Ever.

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Double Edged sword here with Bryant.

On one hand, the Laker faithful are sick of hearing all of this "trade me" bullshit. Shut the fuck up already Kobe.

On the other hand, we know why he's posturing that way and agree with his opinion on our shit GM (which explains why Lakerfans still have his back and havent crucified him yet for doing this): because our cheap fucking owner and Kuntdrip's idiotic ass are content to let this team be a fucking 8th seed afterthought without trying to improve it-and Kobe is calling thier sorry asses out in front of the nation.

The last time I remember a Laker GM or Buss being mentioned and opinionated on this much in the media was a over a decade ago when Shaq was landed as a free agent. Kobe is basically forcing Bitch's and Buss's hand to improve the team.

Make no mistake-once KG/JO'N/Artest is in the Purple and Gold and we're racking up the trophies in 3's again, Kobe will retire a Laker.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Raydah James wrote:JO'N

Just out of curiosity... who is this JO'N?

I'm familiar with JON, who is a rather amusing CFB=BITCH, but not JO'N.

Help a brother out here.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote:
I'm familiar with JON, who is a rather amusing CFB=BITCH, but not JO'N.
:lol:

Jermaine O'Neal.

Once again: Kobe, shut the fuck up. You said your piece, now let the dumbfucks who got the franchise into this mess attempt to fix it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've met that guy... he's a douche. And my zysdale that used to sell him weed told some wtories of extreme douchebaggery.

JO'N=BITCH.

But I would welcome this trade. The joy that I'll feel watching Kid Bitch get clowned by Almighty as his career fades into a big sad sack of "what if's."

He's a douche.

You take 8/24/whatever the hell they serve, you get Ally McNeal, and burn one with Lamar for me...

And I'll take Brandon ROY, Mr. Aldridge, and GREG MOTHERFUCKING ODEN...

Let's get it on.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Dinsdale wrote:I've met that guy... he's a douche. And my zysdale that used to sell him weed told some wtories of extreme douchebaggery.

JO'N=BITCH.

I'd rather not have this fuck altogether..........but if we do acquire him, we'll still have Odom in the mix-which is a semi-good thing (if he can stay healthy). If KG comes to town, it'll just be him and Kobe........and a cast of fucking scrubs.

He's a douche.

[zy]I feel ya-I've met quite a few Lakers myself in L.A. over the years when I was knee deep in the club and party life.........the coolest cat by far was Robert Horry (a close 2nd was Fox), who shot the shit with me for about an hour at the Conga Room after I ribbed him a little for a shitty playoff game he had against the Suns during thier championship run. The biggest douche I had the misfortune of meeting who donned the Purple and Gold was Glen Rice. Fucking nugget headed slappy was getting pwnt left and right by his diva transexual trick of a girlfriend and acted like an all around cocksucker to anyone who tried to talk to him.[/zy]

Let's get it on.
IN.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I believe it was Chad Forde on Patrick’s show today who indicated that Lamar Odom would be involved if the trade for JO’N were to happen. Kobe's already won his last championship.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Goober McTuber wrote:I believe it was Chad Forde on Patrick’s show today who indicated that Lamar Odom would be involved if the trade for JO’N were to happen.

Well now, the trade can go fuck itself then.

JO'N and Kobe wont be any better than what we currently have.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Raydah James wrote:Well now, the trade can go fuck itself then.

You can rest easy, then... no way this 4 team trade happens.

The Celts were hesitant about trading trading the #5 and Jefferson for Garnett... so there's no way in fuck they settle for a lesser player (in O'Neal) who's a headcase as well. Who starts these rumors anyways?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm all for KG going to LA.

If you think the supporting cast is bad now, just wait.

The team that would scare me out of the deal is Minnesota. They could finally get some players on their roster.

With Kobme and "I should get the coaches', other players, and managements salaries, too, since I'm the only one who does anything" on the payroll...

Have fun trying to keep Chris Mihm even. You'll be wishing Bynum stayed. Smush will be but a distant memory.

When 2 guys make all the money, ownership isn't going to pay huge tax on scrubs.

Garnett is by far the most selfish player in the NBA, and if they didn't keep a stat for assists, he never would have passed the ball in his career...what a POS.

Frankly, I don't give a shit who the Lakes get... bring them on.

Because in the end, we got GREG MOTHERFUCKING ODEN. Oh, and we didn't get the best rookie last year... we got the TWO best rookies last year.

Man, if I was a fan of any other team, I'd be so fucking pissed off right now. How the fuck is that even fair?

But it IS my team, so instead of railing against the bullshit circumstances that led to such a sudden, radical shift in the balance of power, I'll instead say...

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sucks to be you, rulez to be me.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Apparently, Durant's workouts for the Blazers absolutely put Oden's to shame. Regardless, the Blazers will still pick Durant despite all the talk that Oden has just about hit his so-called ceiling and Durant's potential is limitless at this point.

While I agree with this sentiment, I also agree with this statement:

"Before we project their basements, let's take a look at some of the players often compared to these two pheoms.

Possible Durant Ceilings: Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, George Gervin. Total NBA championships: 0.

Possible Oden Ceilings: David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Russell. Total NBA championships: 17."

Having Russell in there kind of skews the stat but the point is made.

A team has to look at what might be best for their team at present. That might not always be the more talented player. I think Durant will be a better player when both of their NBA careers are reflected upon but I can't really fault going with Oden. They're building a nice team up in Portland. The Sonics should be thrilled with getting Durant with the #2 pick. It's no different than a #1 pick in any other year.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Rack Fu wrote:Durant's potential is limitless at this point.
s'what I've been sayin' all along.

I don't really care that much either way, but I want to be here to witness Dins meltdown if by some chance, *gasp*, the Blazers take Durant over Oden.

As far as I'm concerned, not taking Durant 1st would be the equivalent of the Texans passing on Reggie Bush.

We'll see how it plays out on Thursday, and for years to come.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote:The Sonics should be thrilled with getting Durant with the #2 pick. It's no different than a #1 pick in any other year.
Durant would have been #1 in last year's class, most likely. Then again, I'm sure the Raptors are kicking themselves for taking Bargnani over Aldridge... not a good pick... not taking anything away from Bargnani, since his addition(and the developement of Bosch) vaulted Toronto from the 6th worse the prior year, to #3 in the East. But any smart scout should have seen how LaMarcus nutted it up in the Tourney, when it mattered the most. The Blazers got FUCKED in last year's lottery(worst possible pick they could have drawn), but even if they did draw #1, they would have taken Aldridge... no question.

And therein lies the rub with Durant -- where was he in the Tournament, again? Watching at home, once the Big Boys showed up to play.

LaMarcus took a similar band of freshman misfits, and listed them on his shoulders, and took them deeper than they had any business being.

What did Oden do as the games got tougher, the spotlight got brighter, and things took on more meaning than anything He had seen before?

He lifted His team on His shoulders, and played "refuse to lose." Unfortunately, he ran into one of the greatest CBB teams in many moons, who had too many weapons and too much experience...but it weren't for lack of Oden, that's for sure.

As Colin Cowherd(Blazerfan, although he's pretty good about keeping his homer stuff off the national airwaves... he's bigtime Ducksfan, too) pointed out yesterday, who put on the most amazing predraft workouts in NBA history?

That would be none other than Peso Hardaway. Yeah, he made us forget all about MJ, eh?

At 6'9" (and much slower than Oden...much), and unable to bench 185(excuse me while I laugh long and hard), who, exactly, is Durant going to gaurd?

Kwame?

How about all that sweet, sweet "making his teammates better/sharing the ball" that Durant did at Texas?

Oh, wait... there was none.

How about that time Durant just dominated with his defense, when the rims were tight and the shots weren't dropping? Oh, wait... there wasn't one.

The individual workouts(sad that's the biggest thing to happen in Portland hoops in several years) proved that Durant was a better outside shooter than Oden, and he was better off the dribble.

And this is news to... who? Yeah, we needed intimate workouts to learn that, for sure.

Other than that, Oden was superior in every other aspect of the game. And when you're 7 foot, 265, and actually CAN bench 185, you're not nearly as dependent on the outside shot.

Oden is the clear pick, despite all of the confused hype. Plus, in an interview last week, Oden was asked what would happen if the Blazers didn't pick him.

"I'd cry," he said.

I don't want to see a 45 year old man cry, so I guess Oden it is. PLus, he made a connection with the fans so unbelievably quickly, which is key, key, key to what the Blazers are trying to do to fix the disaster of previous management. Not that Durant isn't a very pleasant, cordial young man... but Oden just clicked here.

Props to the Blazers for milking this for every bit of publicity that they can. It's nice to see the Blazers in the news in the offseason for something besides Zach Randolph's latest trip to the tittybar/shooting range. I'm pretty sure the decision was made weeks ago, but they've sure played it close to the chest.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: At 6'9" (and much slower than Oden...much)
Link?

I laughed. Oldman can't get back on D' once he's been in the game for more than 4 minutes at a stretch. He's winded and pulling on his jersey wanting to be taken out at that point.
Plus, in an interview last week, Oden was asked what would happen if the Blazers didn't pick him.

"I'd cry," he said.

I don't want to see a 45 year old man cry.
Ok, that made me chuckle.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:Link?

Before you ask for links, you might try cracking a sports section of a paper...any paper.

But here's one...dumbass -- viewtopic.php?t=23842

It's Durant's physical conditioning that has a slight question mark, not Oden's...dumbass. The boy can't bench 185... huge red flag on an otherwise stellar resume.

The other thing at issue... there's still only one ball, last I checked. Assuming Randolph goes(since Pritchard said he's staying, that means he's as good as gone), the Blazers still have BROY, who the last couple of months of the season was averaging near 20 a game(for a rook). Once LMA got the starting center gig at the beginning of March, he averaged around 17+, or thereabouts. Remember, both players had minor injuries in the early season -- neither sounds like much of a long-term risk, but they both got off to slower starts than they would have liked.

So, how happy is Durant going to be with somewhere between 10-20 shots a game(20 would be a bunch)? No one with a brain is going to take looks away from LaMarcus, with the gaudy FG% he put up. ROY cemented himself as the guy who is getting the ball late in the 4th quarter... he cemented that in the forst freaking game of the season, in which he put the team on his first-game shoulders, and stuck the dagger in his hometown team's back in their own house.

Durant is a "volume shooter." While 48% is fairly deece, he's not going to get the rock every single time down the floor to "get his groove." Then again, with Ray Allen on the floor, who NEVER saw a shot he didn't like, Durant shouldn't count on it in Seattle, either. Durant would be a role player here in Portland. I just don't think he has the mental makeup to be part of a "three amigos" lineup. Oden already seems to be looking forward to just such a role. And if I'm drafting a guy to not chuck the rock every time down the floor, I'll go with the guy who shot 61%+, thank you very much.

Add Oden, who will probably continue his 60%+ habit in the pros, with LaMarcus at over 50%, with BROY playing the wing(since we already have a PROVEN(kinda) "superstar" to run the wing, although I wouldn't be suprised to see him moved to PG, depending on acquisitions) shooting around 46%, and the possibility of adding Rashard(since his job seems to be about to be taken) who usually hovers near 50%...

That's some lights out motherfuckers.

Fear the Pinwheel.

And it STILL adds up to Oden being a much better choice for this team...much. More of a "team guy," and let's cut to the bottom line -- we want a guy for 15 years or more, not for 3. Durant is going to want to be the next Kobe/LeBron... naturally. He's not going to get that here. Oden will be more than happy to be the main face of a bigtime winning team. The odds of getting an extension in 2 years tilts the scales so far in Oden's direction, it's not even worth debating.

Oden and Aldridge defending the paint? Are you kidding me? The Vanilla Gorilla coming off the bench(assuming he doesn't get dealt)... some serious inside defense. I hope the other Western teams are shoring up their outside shooting... they'll need it.

Just got done listening to the local hacks, who are laughing pretty hard at "everyone drinking the Blazers' Kool-Aid." But now, they're getting annoyed by it -- there's no debate on who the Zers are taking, but they're being Vulcans(the mismanagement/mircomanagement outfit that oversees the business side for Allen), and trying to leverage the situation, since if other teams think the Blazers might take Durant, then they're not nearly so desperate to unload ZeBo, and the uppertards think they're creating a better trade-day situation. Only problem being, that none of the other 28 GMs are buying it for one second... since they all know who the Blazers are taking.

But I'll tell you what -- it doesn't suck to have to make such a tough choice. No team deserves this more.

But go ahead and stick with the "they might take Durant" deal... it's funny.

We're not building a team -- we're building a culture, dammit. That's what they keep telling me, anyway.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

as long as the suns get dont get kober and get garnett and dont give up marion and dont get garnettt.

im pretty sure suns won it all this year. fuakt the spus.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

You slay me, Dins... all those words and yes I read every one of them... so I want you to know that your effort(s) here aren't wasted.

Seriously, any fan as passionate as you deserves to get their hearts desire.

Good luck, but I'd still take Durant.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I really don't think Durant's strength (or lack there of) is that big of a negative at this point. He'll add some muscle and size. He gained 20 pounds last year. That's something that can be fixed given proper training and nutrition.

Oden can workout every day for a hundred years with the best players and trainers on the planet and he wouldn't have the talent that Durant has even today. That's no knock on Oden per se, he's a stud, but Durant is a freak. Like I said before, I can't fault Portland if they take Oden. It's not like they're going to pick Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony or anything. Or Sam Bowie over MJ - 'sup Blazers?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote:I really don't think Durant's strength (or lack there of) is that big of a negative at this point. He'll add some muscle and size. He gained 20 pounds last year. That's something that can be fixed given proper training and nutrition.
According to the NBA trainer type folks the local hacks have talked to, this isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

The basis being... when? Guys don't spend much time pumping iron during the season, and Durant has his hands full with other projects, like Team USA(good on him and Oden... and if Oden gets hurt, a motherfucker is going to die... I guess we'll blame McMillan), that this may not be the summer of bulking up. And the trainer types said that rookies who try to bulk up big usually aren't in very good shape, energy-wise, by the end of the season.

And frankly, while Durant may have been a beast-of-the-boards in college, guys like Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard aren't going to let some sissyass waltz into the paint and grab boards... especially now that he has, right or wrong, a "softy" label. That dude's going to take some serious shots.

Oden can workout every day for a hundred years with the best players and trainers on the planet and he wouldn't have the talent that Durant has even today.
Oden can already do things that Durant can't, and never will... like bench 200. And post low. And box out.

And from the test results, Oden is actually more athletic... despite appearances to the contrary.

It's not like they're going to pick Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony or anything.

Given the #2 pick that year, the Blazers probably would have taken Wade. Possibly Darko, but not likely, but more likely than Thugmelo. Uhm...Blazerfans kinda got a little tired of the gangsta act...maybe you heard? They've kinda been into spending whatever it takes to get highly skilled "character guys" like ROY and Aldridge. I can't think of any player in the league who fits that definition any LESS than Thugmelo. The fans wouldn't put up with that guy for any reason. And go figure -- maybe that one GM who they named the citizenship award after did his homework, and didn't want any part of the guy, either(I have no explaination for JoeyD putting up with Rasheed, however). Warnabrother is a POS.

Besides, Melo is a pussy. If you're going to take a poke, take a poke. The Blazer fanbase(or the old skool contingent) is used to having guys like Sydney Wicks(wayyyy old school), Maurice Lucas (Blazer assitant...welcome home, Luke), Kermit Facewrecker Washington, Kenny Carr, and Jerome Kersey in the ranks. Those guys knew how to fight...Melo, not so much.

Regardless, with his shady, shady background, if I was a GM, there's no way in hell I would have taken Carmelo. No way. Wade is kind of looking like a steal, though.
Or Sam Bowie over MJ - 'sup Blazers?

Let's see -- The Blazers were trading/ditching freaking All-Star 2 gaurds to make way for the future HoF 2 gaurd they drafted the year before, and MJ wasn't anyone's consensus #1 pick(although he should have been Houston's)... my, how legend has grown over the years. Hindsight is wonderful.

War Wagon wrote:I'd still take Durant

And 28 NBA GMs would take Oden, if given the chance. 1 will.

So much for your GMing ability, eh?

But Seattle gets the greatest consolation prize in a generation. Pritchard wants to make a deal for Seattle's pick, too... but I don't think he's holding his breath.

Durant seems like a hell of a nice kid, too... but we're already creating artificial hate for the guy, since he'll be playing for our archenemy. Hard to hate on a guy with that much crazybadass game... but we'll find a way.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

The Pistons had Tayshaun, didn't want or need Carmelo. What has he done in his career thusfar? That's right...nothing. Tayshaun now holds the record for most playoff games in the first 5 years of a career. Melo is a selfish puss who will put up solid numbers on shite teams. Darko was the right selection for a team that could afford a reach. The 'stons had just made it to the conference finals that year and won it the next. Carmelo who?

Just sayin.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dinsdale wrote:It's Durant's physical conditioning that has a slight question mark, not Oden's...dumbass. The boy can't bench 185... huge red flag on an otherwise stellar resume.

Who cares how much he can bench? There's these things called weights. There's this other stuff called food. And then, there's this other stuff called THE JUICE. Mix the three together and dude can add 50 lbs to his bench press in 3 months. If that's important to you...

If you're looking at how much he's gonna get knocked around in the paint, you may want to check how much he squats and dead lifts. Last time I checked, dudes don't get "benched" out of the paint. The get moved because they lack lower body strength...

Seriously... your biggest concern is his strength? Most professional sports teams employ personal trainers and have weight rooms and stuff. Maybe not in the U&L, but most other places.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Most professional sports teams employ personal trainers and have weight rooms and stuff. Maybe not in the U&L, but most other places.
I was thinking I'd defer to the trainer-types who were interviewed (trust me, the media saturation in the U&L regarding Oden and Durant is pretty thorough), and those personal trainers who oversee the weight room and stuff seem to think bulking a young player up once the season starts is a little tougher than it sounds.

I believe in Orlando, Durant weighed in at 219, if'n I remember right. A 219 pound guy who can't bench 185 just doesn't sound right to me. At 19, my scrawny little ass was benching well into the 200's... and I didn't lift regularly, and I certainly didn't have anyone to impress by throwing up big weight.

But I'm sure a guy who can't hoist 185 on the bench can squat at least 550, right? Uhm yeah, that makes sense. He'll be rooting guys out of the paint with reckless abandon.

And if you want to get down to brass tacks, positioning/boxing out is just as much, if not more a matter of technique, as opposed to brute strength. Don't believe me? Go sit in with a Judo club, and see how far a 140 pound weakling can toss your ass through the air. But then... "when technique is equal, the stronger man wins."

The Pistons had Tayshaun, didn't want or need Carmelo
I'd take Tayshaun over Thugo, any day of the week, and twice on sunday. Any time Detroit gets tired of Teyshaun, feel free to send him our way. Talk about a guy who brings it every minute of every game.

Defense wins championships, more often than not.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Heard on ESPN radio over lunch that the KG deal is almost in place. KG to Phoenix, Shawn Marion to Boston, and the #5 pick plus 3 other players to Minnesota. Only sticking point is Marion agreeing to an extension.

The other scenario has Phoenix shipping Stoudemire to Atlanta, Minnesota getting Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks and KG to Phoenix.

The Punk Ass Blowdryer may commence his meltdown.

Here’s an interesting discussion of the draft that should brighten Dinsdale’s day:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... aft/070627
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Just to get you started Dins:
Portland Trailblazers
Bill Simmons selects: Kevin Durant, SF, Texas
If I'm Portland's GM, I just spent the last five weeks wondering about Greg Oden. What's his ceiling? Can he be better than Patrick Ewing? Alonzo Mourning? Can he become as dominant as Tim Duncan? Should I be worried about his surgically repaired wrist, or the fact that he might suffer back problems some day because his legs are different sizes? What about the fact that he likes basketball, but doesn't love it? The thing is, all these franchise centers are basically the same -- it just comes down to their inherent will to dominate a game. Hakeem had that will, Duncan has it, Moses had it, Shaq had it in 2000 and 2001 ... for whatever reason, Ewing didn't have it, and neither did Mourning or Robinson. Can you see Oden stepping onto a basketball court and saying, "There's no way we're losing this f-ing game. I'm destroying the other team tonight." For some reason, I can't.

Well, Durant plays that way every game. He's a cold-blooded killer. I hate pre-draft workouts, but didn't you find it interesting that Oden was nervous, awkward and apologetic during his workout in Portland, but a confident Durant strolled in there two days later and blew everyone away? You know what's funny about that? I knew that was going to happen. One guy plays basketball because he was created to play basketball; the other plays because he was bigger than everyone else and it seemed like the logical thing to do. If there was a pickup game and Oden was on one side, Durant was on the other, and your life depended on the game, you'd pick Durant. You would.

So if Portland takes Oden, it will happen because of conventional NBA logic (you always take the franchise center), because their fans are pushing for him (obviously, nobody watches college basketball in Portland) and because he's a personable, gregarious, likable big guy for a city that's desperately needed a personable, gregarious, likable big guy ever since Bill Walton ditched Portland for San Diego. I'm not saying those reasons are wrong. In fact, I understand them completely. But if I'm Portland's GM, I'm taking the guy with a legitimate chance to go down with Bird, Magic, MJ, Baylor, Oscar, West, Duncan, Pettit, Havlicek and every other great non-center who ever played in the National Basketball Association. I'm taking Kevin Durant.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

So if Portland takes Oden, it will happen because of conventional NBA logic (you always take the franchise center), because their fans are pushing for him (obviously, nobody watches college basketball in Portland)
Rack!

Another good article from a KC Star hack:
We know Durant can lift up the NBA
By BLAIR KERKHOFF

Kevin Durant was a force at Texas, but a recent workout has raised some doubts about his ability to hold his own in the NBA. At Kansas home basketball games, the video board booms a historical montage just before the Jayhawks are introduced. The All-Americans, the national and conference titles, Wilt, Phog, Naismith, Danny and the Miracles pound the senses. Many college and pro teams do this, but none chills the spine quite like the Allen Fieldhouse production.

The board is my counter argument to the critics of Kevin Durant, who use his 185-pound bench press failure as a sign of limited NBA potential.

He can’t lift his body weight, but Kansas fans could swear they saw Mr. Universe during that Kansas-Texas regular-season finale. While his teammates listened to pregame instructions after their introduction, Durant watched the video board that whips an already crazed crowd into a frenzy.

I made a note to ask him about it later, wondering whether perhaps he was curious about the history or admired the technology. Neither, he said. The noise fired him up. He couldn’t wait to hit the floor and jump into the cauldron.

When he did, the home folks had seen little like it. In one of the greatest performances on the floor, Durant scored 25 first-half points. One of the nation’s top defensive clubs couldn’t slow him down. Julian Wright, the Jayhawks’ best physical matchup, was no match. Nor was Brandon Rush, the team’s top defender, at least early.

But now we’re supposed to doubt Durant’s ability to mix it up after he was the only one of 80 or so prospects at a predraft camp earlier this month who couldn’t hoist the weight. Only two players fared worse in overall performance.

Nobody who saw his only season in a Longhorns uniform is buying it. College bodies aren’t NBA bodies, but all Big 12 teams tried to push him around. That was the scouting report. Punish Durant. Make him work. Make him limp.

It didn’t matter. The beauty of Durant’s game at Texas was his scoring skill with defenders draped on him and his all-round offensive creativity. The mobility, leaping ability, quickness, soft hands and ball handling were as if he were forged in a hoops lab.

He averaged 25 points (29 in league games) as an 18-year-old playing in one of the nation’s top conferences, and bench press is a concern?

The real problem here is why Durant took the physical test in the first place. A smart agent doesn’t put his client in a position to be embarrassed.

Strength comes into play on the offensive side when Durant goes to the basket. Opponents will try to break him like a twig. But it’s on defense that Durant figures to have some problems.

He tended to let that side slide last season and was only average fundamentally despite leading the Big 12 in blocked shots and finishing fourth in steals thanks to a 7-foot-5 wingspan. Improving here will keep him out of foul trouble.

But those evaluating him, in the camps of teams with the first two picks on Thursday — Portland and Seattle — insist Durant’s strength won’t be an issue. He reportedly wowed the Trail Blazers in workouts, much more so than Greg Oden, and Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard, featured on one of those Kansas historical clips, isn’t tipping his hand.

Conventional wisdom has Portland taking Oden, the best center prospect since Tim Duncan. There’s a better long-term return on can’t-miss centers, even though the Blazers have more use for a scoring wing.

That puts Durant in Seattle, and this isn’t a buyer-beware situation. Durant will be one of the NBA’s great players next season. Anybody who watched him play in his only college season feels strongly about that.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

WolverineSteve wrote:The Pistons had Tayshaun, didn't want or need Carmelo. What has he done in his career thusfar? That's right...nothing. Tayshaun now holds the record for most playoff games in the first 5 years of a career. Melo is a selfish puss who will put up solid numbers on shite teams. Darko was the right selection for a team that could afford a reach. The 'stons had just made it to the conference finals that year and won it the next. Carmelo who?

Just sayin.
Stop with the nuthuggery. That pick was fucking stupid. I could care less if Detroit had 8 HOF players at the #3 on their roster. You still take Carmelo over Darko with that pick. What has he done? Besides ranking #3 in PPG of all active players and a PPG that would currently rank #19 all-time. To dismiss that is foolish. He also averaged nearly 4 APG last year. No one will confuse him with Steve Nash or anything but that's more than respectable for a #3, it's also higher than Prince's average. It's not like Tayshaun was the spoke in the wheel that made the Pistons that successful. They would've been there without him.

How was Darko the right selection? He doesn't even play for them anymore. It was a terrible selection at the time and even worse in hindsight. There is no justifying that pick then, now or ever.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Back to Oden vs. Durant. The Portland GM was on Colin Cowturd yesterday, and was asked if he was concerned about the whole bench-press dealio. He said not at all, quite the contrary. He said that if you look at what Durant was able to do last year, just imagine how much better he’ll be after some strength conditioning. But you just know that Portland’s taking Oden.

Yep, looks like history will be repeating itself. Sam Bowie-Michael Jordan redux.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And back to the original point of the thread. Kobe Bryant? Worst. Human. Being. Ever.

The Lakers have given him everything he asked for. Got rid of Shaq. Flew him back and forth to Colorado after he ass-raped that poor little skank. Made him the focal point of the team. And guess what? He’s not good enough to win it all without another superstar to help him along.

He turns around and demands they fire the GM. Demands a trade. Talks out of both sides of his mouth. What a self-centered little bitch.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So if Portland takes Oden, it will happen because of conventional NBA logic (you always take the franchise center), because their fans are pushing for him (obviously, nobody watches college basketball in Portland) and because he's a personable, gregarious, likable big guy for a city that's desperately needed a personable, gregarious, likable big guy ever since Bill Walton ditched Portland for San Diego.

I don't even know where to begin...

But I'll start with BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! It was that, or the :rolleyes:.

Yeah, and in my "mock publishing a website," I'd be ashamed that I let a clueless hack actually soil a keyboard with this uninformed tripe.

I usually tend to prefer reading articles from people who know at least as much about the NBA as I do -- this clown clearly doesn't.

Let's start with "conventional logic." Uhm... where did this "conventional logic" originate? Maybe with the idea that the Mikans, Chamberlains, Russels, Alcindors, Olajuwans, O'Neals, and Duncans have led their teams to championships?

"Conventional logic" dictates that when you have a chance to get that once-in-a-generation big man who combines size, athleticism, and talent, they tend to accumulate championships?

Wow, who woulda thunk it?

Everyone not named Simmons, apparently.

"Obviously, nobody watches CBB in Portland."

Obviously, Simmons doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

How about mixing in some facts, Simmons?

Like how the state just got done with years and years of negotiations to do away with the state-run sportbook, in exchange for an NCAA regional in Portland and a promise for more down the road, and eventually a Final 4, which the NCAA has been clamoring for for years and years, precisely because this is such a hoops-crazy area?

There is that.

Then again, maybe the fairweather fans only watched the later rounds of the Tourney on their television... just like Durant did.

Where was that "extra gear" for Durant? Missing in action. We all saw Oden's "little sump'n sump'n extra" at work. The bigger the game, the brighter the spotlight, the better Almighty played. Where was Durant in that Final 4? I mean, the guy who's going to make us forget all about MJ should have been able to get his team to at least the FF, right? Except his nuts shrivelled up.

"a city that's desperately needed a personable, gregarious, likable big guy ever since Bill Walton ditched Portland for San Diego."

Uhm... hello?

Do the names Thompson and Sabonis ring any bells?

Hello?

Uhm, yeah... you know what you're talking about, bud. No, really.

Simmons always has been a fucking idiot, and always will be. It didn't need any cementing. And if you take anything he says seriously, you're an idiot, too.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

See, that’s what I was fishing for.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

But it’s on defense that Durant figures to have some problems.

He tended to let that side slide last season and was only average fundamentally

Even the dudes biggest fans claim he "average fundamentally."

Scouts had Oden as "the most fundamentally sound big man in years, perhaps ever."

And when we really get to the bottom line of what the Blazers are trying to accomplish -- Durant is nice as heck, from what we've seen. But, he came in with something of a sense of entitlement. That often makes for dominant players, sure. It also doesn't fit in with what figures to be a 3-pronged attack for the next 10+ years.

Durant just gives the impression it's going to be all about him. Oden wants to be part of that 3-pronged attack. He was awestruck when he met ROY and Aldridge, who he claimed to be a huge fan of both.

Frankly, most of you have the same ignorance that Simmons of ESPN has. It's understandable, since there was a grand total of zero nationally televised Blazers games this past season(I remember well the glory days of the Zers being on TNT usually at least once a week). I guess lack of coverage explains how the general public doesn't seem to understand that Portland didn't get the best rookie last year... they got the two best rookies last year. Two absolute superstar beasts. Barring injuries, time will prove me right. Already have TWO dominant players(are you counting down those numbered days yet, Zach?).

So time for everyone to pull their fucking head out of their ass -- how long do you think Durant would stick around where he's going to have to work his way up out of the third(and possibly 4th) offensive option? How well has Durant shown any ability to make his teammates better...he hasn't -- he makes them worse. They become spectators. And anyone who touches the ball that much, you would think they'd get an assist here and there just by freaking accident... Durant's assist numbers are, in a nutshell, "disturbing." Dude had one assist in the entire postseason, if I remember right...one... and his teams performance diminished as his nearly-nonexistant passing game went out the window...this is a huge red flag to anyone with any sense, because it speaks of his mindset.

What's the odds of Durant signing an extension, and not being a 3-and-done in Portland? Pretty low, from all we can figure. He'll be a Knick, a Bull, or something like that.

What's the odds od Oden having his jersey in the rafters in Portland? Since dude claims to have fallen in love with the city in his first few hours, and "wants to raise a family here," and thinks it's an honor to step on the floor with Aldridge and ROY...

Him staying looks like a good bet.

As if the pick wasn't a no-brainer before... it certainly becomes even more obvious that the Blazers are looking 10 years down the road, not 2. Oden wants to be a cog, Durant wants to be the whole machine.

And frankly, any dumbfuck who had trouble seeing this very obvious big picture, should probably shut the fuck up, and merely have people assume they're an idiot, rather than confirm it with their stupidity.

Besides, what does it matter? Either player is going to freaking rock. Oden is just a much, much better fit here, and is much more likely to be in it for the long-haul. And the Fans have spoken -- they want Oden. And considering how the fans have spoken with a cocerted effort to change the team by not buying tickets, resulting in huge financial losses for Evil Allen, it would be pretty fucking stupid to risk that situation again, no? We'd much rather lose with people we like, than win with selfish people we don't... and Durant has sure shown some signs of selfishness, while Oden has made selflessness his mantra. Humility sells well in this town.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And to reiterate -- is Durant going to be happy with less than 20 shots a game?

The Blazers traded away their entire rebuilding effort over the last several years, traded away every lottery pick exceot Travis Outlaw, and basically bet the freaking farm on the two guys they "had to have" last year. No GM in his right mind would toss those guys out the window for the sake of gambling on the next unstoppable force.

That would make no sense, and be a stupid move, since those two guys are all-but gaurantted stars. They certainly proved what they can do at the NBA level, or gave a big hint towards that in slightly-injured seasons. Why risk two known quantities for an unknown(albeit safe bet)? Why would anyone want two budding superstars for years to come to possibly walk away for the sake of getting one guy?

Oden is figuring to share the spotlight... a much riskier proposition with Durant.

Do there moronic writers even know what the Blazer rother looks like? Sure doesn't seem that way.

If the Blazers take Durant(0% chance), it means Zach stays(the freaking horrrrah) at the 4, Durant plays the 3, and Aldridge plays the 5. ROY goes to either 2 or 1(which might happen at some point down the road, regardless of who we draft).

How many basketballs are used in an NBA game? It's still only one, right?

Yeah, better take looks away from 50% shooters to get a bunch of shots for a guy who couldn't muster 50% in college.

The "6 seconds or less" Suns put up 84 shots a game last year. That's a very high number for an NBA team. The Warriors, with Nelly's run-and-gun in place, took 86... bigtime number.

So, assuming there's goping to be about 80 shots for a team that actually plays defense...

Where does Durant fit in?

Do the math.

He doesn't. He's a chucker -- one that's sure to be a quite successful chucker, but a chucker nonetheless. There's just no room for a chucker on this roster(which it will kind of bum me out if the Blazers resign Outlaw... a chucker to the extreme...unless we're desperate for a backup SF, due to a letdown in free agency, or by some tragedy, Ime Udoka gets a better offer in restricted free agency... every team needs its grinders).

No one is arguing that Durant isn't a very rare talent indeed. But anyone who has any clue what they're talking about realizes that he probably wouldn't be the best fit in Portland.

Hey...any of you old timers remember that Jordan guy? Remember how he was totally PWN3D in his early years, by a team that didn't give a crap about individaul stats, and never had anyone who scored 20 a game? And how MJ NEVER got over on that team until they started having health issues? I remember that pretty well... since that team in question kinda bitchslapped my team along the way... my team, that was a little too depedent on a one-dimesional offense(sup #22).

But Durant will "need his looks."
Kevin Durant wrote:"I did a lot of different things in that game. I think I passed the ball well in that game because they double-teamed me. I swung the ball and got some open shots for my teammates. I didn't just score.

"Once my shot (started) falling (though), things happened."

Translation: "Me, me, me."

Then you have Oden "Team, team, team."

If I was Orlando and had the first pick, I'd be all over Durant. If I'm KP, it's an obvious choice to take Oden...which he is.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Humility sells well in this town.

Chuckling over here, boss.

Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dinsdale wrote: He doesn't. He's a chucker -- one that's sure to be a quite successful chucker, but a chucker nonetheless.
No need to bring race into this.

:wink:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:

What are you getting at, Goobs?

Are you implying something?

I'll tell you what -- your sorry, feeble ass only WISHED you had my humility.

My humility is just one aspect of what makes me so great. You combine the superlative humility with all of my other qualities that make me so far superior to... well, everyone, and you really see the true all-around greatness that is Dinsdale.

But the humility is one of the key ingredients of my overall greatness. Referring to myself in the third-person on an occasion certainly doesn't hurt, but the humility is what really sets me apart.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

What's really cracking me up with the contrarian columnists who are doing nothing more than trying to get pub with their stupid Durant arguments, is they're second guessing Kevin Freaking Pritchard.

KP, who in ONE FREAKING YEAR'S TIME, erased the whole Jailblazers image(to anyone who actually pays any attention to the NBA, anyway), erased the newfound losing-tradition, and put together a team that increased its win total by a factor of about 50% from the previous year.

This was accomplished in one freaking year.

Yeah, go ahead and try and make yourself sound smart by second guessing that guy, Simmons and Wetzel...no really, it makes you sound reallyreallyreally smart. They should be spending their time watching in awe and amazement at what Pritchard has done, rather than watching with mouth agape as Durant dunks on a 50 year old fat asistant coach.

June 28th will forever be known as Greg Oden Day in Oregon.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If there was any doubt about the Oden pick, it's gone --
Bill Simmons wrote:But we disagree on Durant. He's a sure thing. I think he's the surest thing that's come into the league since Jordan.

How old is this guy?

Jordan was a sure thing?

Really.

I was just as big an NBA fan in 1984 as I am now, and Simmons is a sdtraight up idiot.

Jordan at the time was considered anything BUT a "sure thing." Uhm, Houston needing a gaurd but opting for the REAL "sure thing" out front should have told him. Sam Bowie wasn't quite a sure thing, but close... until the injuries decided otherwise.

If MJ was such a "sure thing," why did he slip to third? Duh.

So, if Simmons says someone is a "sure thing like MJ," then I feel good about doing the opposite from what this moron says.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Dins,

You are to humility what Cicero and Crown Royal are to heterosexuality.

stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Dins,

You are to humility what Cicero and Crown Royal are to heterosexuality.
On the topic of humility, nice job trading for Stevie Franchisekiller.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

stuckinia wrote:On the topic of humility, nice job trading for Stevie Franchisekiller.

See new topic.

Great move.