Great playoff race in the East

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Great playoff race in the East

Post by MuchoBulls »

While it looks like the top 8 seeds in the West are pretty much determined, the battle for the last couple of playoff spots in the East are up for grabs.

The standings as of tonight look like:

7 - Carolina 80 points 9 games left
8 - NY Rangers 79 points 10 games left
9 - Montreal 78 points 9 games left
10 - NY Islanders 78 points 11 games left
11 - Toronto 78 points 10 games left

It should be a great finish in the East.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Re: Great playoff race in the East

Post by Joey Moss »

MuchoBulls wrote:While it looks like the top 8 seeds in the West are pretty much determined.
As a totally biased Oiler fan, I would like to disagree with this point. The Avs are 6 points out, with a game and an easy schedule and they are hot... Panic is starting to set in in Calgary.
GET-ZKY!!!!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Good point since there are still more than enough games left for Colorado to come back.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Great playoff race in the East

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:While it looks like the top 8 seeds in the West are pretty much determined, the battle for the last couple of playoff spots in the East are up for grabs.

The standings as of tonight look like:

7 - Carolina 80 points 9 games left
8 - NY Rangers 79 points 10 games left
9 - Montreal 78 points 9 games left
10 - NY Islanders 78 points 11 games left
11 - Toronto 78 points 10 games left

It should be a great finish in the East.

The Lightning need to be lumped into that group...they are only 2 points up on the Hurricanes for 6th place.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Leafs and Habs competing for the last spot in the East on their last game would be one mind-blowing scenario.
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Smoked Meat wrote:Leafs and Habs competing for the last spot in the East on their last game would be one mind-blowing scenario.
On that same note, I am cheering for Edmonton to knock Calgary out of the playoffs in our last game of the season.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

I'm hoping for a 9 game losing slide for the Kings after tonight's game, to assure a crack at the #1 draft pick for next season.

At this point, pride needs to be swallowed.
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It's not like there's an Ovechkin or Crosby in this coming draft...I think anywhere in the top 5 will get you a quality player but there isn't clear-cut #1 prospect right now.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Shoalzie wrote:It's not like there's an Ovechkin or Crosby in this coming draft...I think anywhere in the top 5 will get you a quality player but there isn't clear-cut #1 prospect right now.
Have you SEEN the Kings? Hahaha.

I'll be happy with another Kopitar, a Jack Jack Johnson, and a goalie that wasn't a suspect in the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby.

BTW, how awesome is the NYR's "rookie team" right now? Shanny due back Monday, woot woot!
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I'm just happy as a bee that the Pens have pretty much removed themselves from the scrum for 8th and virtually assured themselves of a playoff spot. Prior to the season, woulda predicted that they'd be fighting for a playoff spot, perhaps missing.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Smoked Meat wrote:Leafs and Habs competing for the last spot in the East on their last game would be one mind-blowing scenario.
I hope the Habs win.

It'll most likely ensure Fergie Jr gets run and prove once and for all, this team would have been better off with Pat Quinn as GM than Larry Pleau's coffee boy.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ken wrote:I'm just happy as a bee that the Pens have pretty much removed themselves from the scrum for 8th and virtually assured themselves of a playoff spot. Prior to the season, woulda predicted that they'd be fighting for a playoff spot, perhaps missing.

They're still in the mix for the Atlantic Division title and a top 3 seed...down 4 points to Jersey with a game in hand. Huge game tonight with the Sens in the Igloo...the top 5 in the East is pretty much locked up but the seeds are far from secured. Atlanta got a big 2 points today at home with Buffalo and Tampa laid a huge turd in Washington...6 points clear in the Southeast Division and the Bolts don't give themselves any breathing room in 6th place.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Otis wrote:
I hope the Habs win.

It'll most likely ensure Fergie Jr gets run and prove once and for all, this team would have been better off with Pat Quinn as GM than Larry Pleau's coffee boy.
You hope the Habs win but deep inside of you, not really.

Although I agree with you about Fergie's GM skills, I don't think he will be under alot of pressure. The truth is not many people really thought the Leafs would be battling for a spot in the playoffs at this time of the year. Besides, Fergie already has a great excuse to explain the Leafs' problems this year: Injuries.
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Peca will still be out for a while and Kaberle's status is unknown but they got two of their best offensive players back recently in Wellwood and Tucker...I give them as good a shot as any of the teams fighting for those last 3 spots in the East.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

One week to go and a lot of things still to be determined...

Calgary control of their destiny to lock up the last bid in the West. With a win of any kind over the Avalanche on Tuesday will clinch them a playoff spot. The only thing left to determine after that is the positioning. No one has clinched their division title so none of the 8 positions are decided yet.

The Rangers get a huge win tonight over the Leafs and they move a step closing to clinching a spot and they leapfrog the Lightning in the process. There are 8 teams fighting for 4 spots in the East. Atlanta is sitting in 3rd right now with the Southeast lead but isn't out of the woods yet. They essentially need one more point to clinch. The Hurricanes kept themselves alive with a win today but the Panthers stay in the hunt by picking up the "loser point" in the shootout loss.

Big games coming up this week...

Tuesday:
Florida @ Washington (Panthers must get two points to stay alive)
Philadelphia @ Toronto (a win could put them into 8th depending on what happens to the Habs)
Boston @ Montreal (see above)
Rangers @ Islanders (a regulation win by the Rangers clinch them a berth and eliminate the Islanders)
Carolina @ Tampa Bay (Lightning could move closer to the Thrashers with a win, the Canes could tie for the 8th with a win)
Colorado @ Calgary (Flames win and they're in, Avalanche eliminated)

Wednesday:
Atlanta @ Washington (Thrashers' could have playoff spot clinched by then depending on what happens Tuesday)

Thursday:
Montreal @ Rangers (game will mean more to the Canadiens if the Rangers win on Tuesday)
Islanders @ Maple Leafs (could be an elimination game)
Colorado @ Vancouver (only matters if the Avs win Tuesday)
Calgary @ San Jose (see above)

Friday: (if necessary)
Carolina @ Atlanta
Florida @ Tampa Bay

Saturday: (if necessary)
Islanders @ Philadelphia
Montreal @ Toronto
Florida @ Carolina
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Rangers @ Penguins
Nashville @ Colorado
Edmonton @ Calgary

Sunday: (if necessary)
Islanders @ Devils
Calgary @ Colorado
Last edited by Shoalzie on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

If the 'Canes miss, I reserve the right to start their SEASON OVER thread.

And honestly? Part of me would rather miss than put up with more garbage from those assclown representatives of Sabres Nation who drove Raleigh's crime stats up during last year's ECF.
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

I really, really want to believe the Avs will make the playoffs, but the scenario is pretty unrealistic. Both Colorado and Calgary have a possible 8 points up for grabs. For the Avs to make it, they MUST get 7 of those 8 points, and Calgary can't get more than one. If Calgary gets one and Colorado gets seven, they tie and the Avs win the tiebreaker with more wins and a better head-to-head record.

Colorado has @Calgary, @Vancouver, Nashville and Calgary left. The only one I really don't like is the @Vancouver, but really, these are all winnable games. I see that, other than the two Avs games, Calgary has Vancouver and Edmonton left. They can be beaten by the Avs and Vancouver, but I don't see them losing to the Oil. Then again, the so-called "Battle of Alberta" can usually go either way. Maybe Edmonton will gather up enough self respect to go out on a high note by beating the Flames. I can hope.

UNwar having nothing but MLB and the NBA by the end of the week. Guess it'll be time to start doing all that stuff in the yard my wife has been piling up for me.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I give the Avs credit for the hanging in. They could've hung it up about a month ago when their hopes were going to down the drain. You've got those two with Calgary so you can control your destiny somewhat.

You definitely have to be excited with the play of Paul Stastny...to me, he's been the second best rookie behind Malkin...he's leaped ahead of Kopitar in the Calder race.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Kopitar has been AMAZING considering what he's had to work with this season. Poor kid.

The best part about being a fan of the LAK is that, come crunch time......I'm never stressed. Just sitting back, wading in loss after loss, knowing that the one TRUE thing I have going into the playoff is, a stress free view of it all.

Comfortably numb.

I'm throwing my support behind the NYR. My boy Avery in "en fuego"! If they can clinch a spot, but don't make it past the 1st round again.....I have a feeling Jagr's gonna experience an early menapause.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Yep, I like to think that Stastny and Wolski are the future this team will be built around. Stastny may be behind Malkin in scoring, but I think he's a better two way player, a function of having played in NCAA as opposed to the Russian leagues. I haven't seen Malkin play much, but the guy is a walking highlight reel. Very gifted goal scorer, but I'll take Stastny for what he brings to both ends of the ice. It makes me feel just slightly less paranoid about Sakic's inevitable retirement in the next couple years. At least they'll have some guys who can step up.
NjSooner
Elwood

Post by NjSooner »

cinderella_undercover wrote:I'm throwing my support behind the NYR. My boy Avery in "en fuego"! If they can clinch a spot, but don't make it past the 1st round again.....I have a feeling Jagr's gonna experience an early menapause.
Your boy Avery was the NHL's 2nd star a day or two ago. As for Jagr... one way to find out.
Hobbes wrote: Colorado has @Calgary, @Vancouver, Nashville and Calgary left. The only one I really don't like is the @Vancouver, but really, these are all winnable games.
sig bet?
A doctor answers his phone and hears the familiar voice of a colleague on the other end of the line. "We need a fourth for poker," said the friend. "I'll be right over," whispered the doctor. As he was putting on his coat, his wife asked, "Is it serious?" "Oh yes, quite serious," said the doctor gravely. "In fact, there are three doctors there already!
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

NjSooner wrote:sig bet?
On what, exactly? I've said they are winnable games, but that doesn't mean I think that the Avs will win. I actually think they'll be lucky to get past tonight in the Saddledome with their playoff hopes intact, and I'm not generally in the practice of betting anything on a losing outcome.
NjSooner
Elwood

Post by NjSooner »

On them winning them all... thought you said they were gonna win out... my bad. But Ill still take that bet if you want. I havent checked the scores yet tonight.
A doctor answers his phone and hears the familiar voice of a colleague on the other end of the line. "We need a fourth for poker," said the friend. "I'll be right over," whispered the doctor. As he was putting on his coat, his wife asked, "Is it serious?" "Oh yes, quite serious," said the doctor gravely. "In fact, there are three doctors there already!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Avs ain't dead yet...huge win in Calgary to stay alive.

In the big games tonight in the East...
-The Lightning win coming from behind against the Canes...Carolina is eliminated (had to report this after AQ's thread), Tampa is just one point back of Atlanta for the Southeast lead
-Islanders beat the Rangers in OT...Islanders are eliminated and the Rangers and Lightning tied for 6th
-Canadiens shutout the Bruins...Habs are still hanging onto 8th place
-Leafs top the Flyers in OT...Toronto still in the hunt, just one point behind Montreal; they're the only team outside of the top 8 that is still alive
-Florida has been eliminated after loss to Washington...they were a long shot to get in.

Tomorrow's big game...Atlanta @ Washington: the Thrashers are trying to hold off a late surge by the Lightning to take over first in the division and they're a point from clinching their first ever playoff berth

Given tonight's happenings, all four games I mentioned for Thursday are still in play...especially with the Avalanche beating the Flames and staving off elimination. Canadiens-Rangers is bigger for the Habs because they have the Leafs breathing down their necks. The Leafs host the Islanders, who were eliminated tonight...left to play the spoiler and the Leafs have to win to stay alive since they won't come close to the Canadiens in wins if they finish in a tie. If Toronto does win Thursday...it automatically set up that final game at ACC on HNIC to decide the last playoff spot in the East. I'm rooting for it to happen.
NjSooner
Elwood

Post by NjSooner »

NHL.com has the Rangers a point ahead. Typo?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:-Islanders beat the Rangers in OT...Islanders are eliminated and the Rangers and Lightning tied for 6th
Technically, the Islanders are still alive, but they have to have just about every break possible go their way. They would have to:

- Win their last 3 games (one being with Toronto) if Toronto beats Montreal. They would have to beat Toronto in regulation

- Win 2 of their last 3 games (one being over Toronto in regulation) and have Toronto also lose in regulation to Montreal.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I also forgot to put in that the Islanders also need Montreal to get no more than 1 point in their last 2 games. Montreal plays @NYR and @TOR to close the season.

Basically, the Islanders need to win all 3 games (have to win in regulation over Toronto) and have the Rangers and Leafs beat Montreal, one of which would have to be in regulation.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:-Islanders beat the Rangers in OT...Islanders are eliminated and the Rangers and Lightning tied for 6th
Technically, the Islanders are still alive, but they have to have just about every break possible go their way. They would have to:

- Win their last 3 games (one being with Toronto) if Toronto beats Montreal. They would have to beat Toronto in regulation

- Win 2 of their last 3 games (one being over Toronto in regulation) and have Toronto also lose in regulation to Montreal.

Didn't realize the Islanders had three games left instead of two...yeah, they aren't dead yet. Bad math on my part...definitely makes that game Thursday in Toronto an even better watch. DiPietro was ruled out for the rest of the season so the Isles will have to lean on Dubielewicz and Dunham to get them into the playoffs.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

NjSooner wrote:On them winning them all... thought you said they were gonna win out... my bad. But Ill still take that bet if you want. I havent checked the scores yet tonight.
Nope, I don't actually think they will win out. I would love to believe that they will, especially after last night, but my gut tells me the season will come to an end tomorrow in Vancouver. My dream script would go something like this:

The Avs realize it's gut check time and get hot, beating a Vancouver team that's on cruise control and Nashville. San Jose (not Vancouver as I originally stated) dukes it out with Calgary and comes out on top while Edmonton realizes that they owe their fans something for tanking at the end of the season. They play their best game since the Ryan Smyth trade and beat the Flames in their own barn, setting up the final game of the season with everything on the line.

In Denver, Jarome Iginla, Dion Phaneuf and Mikka Kiprusoff get stuck in the hotel elevator on their way to take the team bus to the Pepsi Center. The repairman is an Avs fan and, as such, is a little slow responding to the call. They make it to the arena in time for the second period and are allowed to dress and join the game. The return of their captain gives the Flames an emotional lift, and they go on the attack, but it's not quite enough. The Avs have already staked themselves to a 4-1 lead, and the best the Flames can muster is a 5-4 OT loss, eliminating them from the playoffs and securing the Avs the #8 seed in the West. Denver rejoices that the playoff streak is still alive while Darryl Sutter foams at the mouth and denounces the city of Denver, but the dye is cast. Calgary is out, Colorado is in.

Meanwhile, Joe Sakic decides, "I think I'd like another Stanley Cup, thank you very much" and wins his second Conn Smythe en route to hoisting his third Cup. Peter Budaj is lights out and becomes the sensation of the '07 playoffs, accumulating an impressive .941 save percentage in the playoffs, and solidifying his status as a true #1 netminder.

Hey, everyone has to have a dream.
NjSooner
Elwood

Post by NjSooner »

However, most people's dreams include blowjobs from Christy Turlington.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Only two games last night...

The Thrashers fail to clinch a playoff spot and the Southeast Division with a 3-2 loss at home against Washington.

The Ducks blow a chance to lock up the Pacific Division and the Sharks stay alive in the division race with a 3-2 shootout win at Honda Center. I hit the hay after the first when the Ducks were up 2-0...I figured they were on their way to winning...I guess not. Both Dallas and San Jose are still alive in the race to win the Pacific but the Ducks can win the division with a win against the Stars on Friday.

I have interest in what happens tonight...the Wings can clinch the Central Division with a single point against Chicago and can clinch the #1 seed in the West with a win. Still no official word on if Zetterberg will return for tonight's game or for the season finale on Saturday...he is expected to return for the playoffs though.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Rangers and Lightning are now in. Montreal-Toronto on Saturday for the final spot should be epic.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Not 'Race in the East' related, but in a similar vein...

If tonight's Oootawa/Pens game is any indication, that series is going to be one hell of a humdinger. Tonight was a very physical game w/playoff atmosphere. One nice thing about it was that while it was physical, it wasn't dirty. Rack that. Best kind of hockey.

Pens win 3-2 on a 3rd period goal w/8 seconds remaining.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Isles are still in it, but barely.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ken wrote:Not 'Race in the East' related, but in a similar vein...

If tonight's Oootawa/Pens game is any indication, that series is going to be one hell of a humdinger. Tonight was a very physical game w/playoff atmosphere. One nice thing about it was that while it was physical, it wasn't dirty. Rack that. Best kind of hockey.

Pens win 3-2 on a 3rd period goal w/8 seconds remaining.

I think both 4-5s in the East and West will be great.

With Pittsburgh and Ottawa...both at 103 points, the results of Saturday will determine who gets home ice advantage. Ottawa gets a Bruins team that is playing out the string but the Pens have to go against a red hot Rangers team that locked up a playoff spot last night but want to lock up the #3 seed so they can face the Thrashers or Lightning in the first round. The Rangers have just as much to play for on Saturday as the Pens do...that'll be a nice game to watch.

In the West, the Wings locked up the Central so Nashville is locked into the 4-5 series and will face the second place team out of the Pacific. The Ducks are a single point clear of the Sharks and the Stars can win their final two games and with losses by the Ducks and Sharks, they could win the Pacific and be the #2 seed in the playoffs. The Ducks are in first right now but would lose tiebreakers both San Jose and Dallas because they have the fewest wins.

The Sharks have 51 wins but could possibly finish behind two teams with fewer wins...the NHL has to look at tweaking the point system because a team with the more wins than another shouldn't finish behind a team with fewer wins. Look at the Wings...they have 49 wins and clinched the Central last night but the second place team, Nashville has 50 wins. Doesn't make a lot of sense. In all honesty, the Predators should the leaders in the Central and the Sharks should be the #1 seed in the West. Instead, they could be playing each other in the 4-5 series.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

I have never been so glad to be wrong. Huge win by the Avs last night in Vancouver. Hejduk keeps hope alive with a hat trick. Then they get a gift from the Sharks.

Please, God, please let Edmonton pull their heads out of their collective asses and beat the Flames. Although there's a good chance it would give me a coronary, I would love to see this come down to the final game on Sunday in Denver. With the way the Avs are playing and the Flames' less-than-stellar road record, plus the Pepsi Center will be LOUD for that game, I like the Avs' chances in that situation.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Datsyuk has reportedly re-signed with the Red Wings today...presser scheduled at 1:00.

7 years...no word on how much. From what I gather from the press conference...The Captain errr VP had plenty of input on this move.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Was there ever really any doubt? Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the future of the Wings, much to the envy of many teams around the league. I, for one, would have been pretty surprised if they had let Datsyuk slip away.
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

Shoalzie wrote:Datsyuk has reportedly re-signed with the Red Wings today...presser scheduled at 1:00.

7 years...no word on how much. From what I gather from the press conference...The Captain errr VP had plenty of input on these move.
I heard 6.7 million per year.

Thats pretty high for Datsyuk but Wings fans seem to like him so I doubt they will be concerned.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

$6.7 is higher than I hoped for. I was wishing it would be in the $5-6 million range. $6.7 million seems expensive now but lets see where the cap number goes in the next few years and what other guys of similar status sign for and see if Holland got a bargain or morbidly overpayed. Zetterberg is potentially the next captain of this team and I have to imagine he is valued a little more in the organization. You have to believe he'll get a better deal than what Pavel just got.

The Wings got one key free agent signed but they still have Bertuzzi, Calder, Lang, Maltby, Schneider, Markov, Chelios and Hasek to address/re-sign. Lidstrom is signed for $7.6 million next year and throw in Pavel's $6.7 million...they have 14 guys signed at almost $31 million. Zetterberg costs them only $2.6 million right now his big payday is coming. The interesting thing will be how high the cap is next year...$45 million perhaps? They might have only $14 million or so to spend on 9 guys. Also, Igor Grigorenko may be brought over from Russia and Jimmy Howard could platoon with Osgood in net if Hasek retires or asks for too much money.