Cool IT Topic of the day: VNC

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Cool IT Topic of the day: VNC

Post by ElTaco »

Ok so its not really that cool, but relatively useful discussion never the less. If you work in IT or even if you are just a home user, do you use VNC or some other remote desktop tool to manage PCs? How do you ensure that security is not compromised? Do you use some built in encryption or do you use SSH or some other form of tunneling?

As far as I'm concerned, there are only a few options available. VNC is one option, which fits into any scenerio that has multi platform requirements. The one drawback of most free VNC implementations is the lack of built in encryption. RealVNC is the first open source VNC, but its support is very lacking when you get the free version. TightVNC is a really fast version, but again does not come with built in encryption or windows password support. It is however the fastest VNC out there. UltraVNC is the 3rd main VNC option out there and while it is only written for Windows, it does have an addon pack for encryption and supports Windows/AD authentication. I'm thinking about using this at work on people's workstations.

Remote Desktop is the 2nd option. It comes with Windows and supports encryption and windows/domain authentication but if someone is already on the system, you can't get in unless they let you.

There are other options such as Radmin or PCanywhere. Some are better for administration, while others are great for remote access to a computer from on the road.

What do you use? how do you configure them? What type of security do you have in place to ensure that others can't snoop or do man-in-the-middle type attacks?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I've made half hearted attempts to connect to my home PC via DynDNS. Somewhere between registering for that and configuring my router, I gave up.

Aside from that two places where I've worked had VPN's. One was a Cisco VPN using a Cisco Client, I don't remember the settings.

The next used a Microsoft VPN client. Connect to VPN and then use terminal services to connect to the machines.

Also used Citrix WinFrame or something awhile back, didn't like that as much as either the Cisco VPN client or MS VPN client. Just felt kludgey and the other two options seemed lighter in terms of local resources.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

I also tried PC Anywhere for my home office network, but my router has a bad habit of going down at random times for no known reason, and I wasted too much time trying to tech talk family members into troubleshooting it while out on the road, so I gave up and bought a portable 160GB ext. HD, partitioned it to accomodate my laptop and Main PC, and I back up both computers to it weekly and take that with me every trip. Works out pretty good for me, and there are no concerns for security.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

There is a number of probelms I see with that, although I imagine you aren't in a high stakes business where losing data could be a huge legal and financial liability for you.

1. How do you keep your HD backups safe in case you lose it or it gets stolen? I mean yes, its only a backup but what if someone gets the data, such as a client and they see something they weren't supposed to or they get most of the work and cancel your contract because they figure they can finish out the rest?

2. Also, what if you lose the work before your big presentation, how do you get your hands on it?

3. Last but perhaps most importantly, we actually are talking about managing servers so having backups on the road with you is kind of useless. For example, in the past we've discussed ways to share project data between you and your team. What if the problem isn't with the internet connection but rather you need to go in and make a change or give someone a permissions to a document.

Thats what I'm kind of hinting at. I think PC anywhere is neat, but I think it is expensive and is an over kill for server management. Its too bad the good old days of using SSH on linux doesn't really work with Windows servers.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

ElTaco wrote:There is a number of probelms I see with that, although I imagine you aren't in a high stakes business where losing data could be a huge legal and financial liability for you.
You are correct. I have a service based niche business with a small clientele that is industry specific. By the nature of the structure of it we have multiple backups of data, none of which is high risk, such as SS numbers or financial info. Mostly its generic technical data that only benefits my customers and has no resale value as it is gleaned from several available sources. It is my presentation of it and conclusions that my company makes that really matters.
1. How do you keep your HD backups safe in case you lose it or it gets stolen? I mean yes, its only a backup but what if someone gets the data, such as a client and they see something they weren't supposed to or they get most of the work and cancel your contract because they figure they can finish out the rest?
Mostly I shuttle back and forth between two (Northern And Southern California) Locations (my main office is in so cal, secondary one up north) so unless I get carjacked I'm ok. I have an equipment bag for all my computer related stuff and I basically unpack once I arrive, so losing it would be hard to do. I recently changed operations to this set up as a way to cut down on travel and expenses.
2. Also, what if you lose the work before your big presentation, how do you get your hands on it?
I don't really have to do presentations. The nature of my business is such that it isn't necessary, and never will be. Small sales calls with my reputation and name suffice. I have no plans to be a big company. I don't want the headaches.
3. Last but perhaps most importantly, we actually are talking about managing servers so having backups on the road with you is kind of useless. For example, in the past we've discussed ways to share project data between you and your team. What if the problem isn't with the internet connection but rather you need to go in and make a change or give someone a permissions to a document.

Thats what I'm kind of hinting at. I think PC anywhere is neat, but I think it is expensive and is an over kill for server management. Its too bad the good old days of using SSH on linux doesn't really work with Windows servers.
I'm not a big enough business for sharing project data to be an issue for me. Granted, I'd prefer a method like VNC, but the obstacles (read: no in house tech support) Just don't make it worth my time right now. I have my database, email, and website on line. The only thing I reallly need is file access from my main computer for all of my resource material.

Until I reach a point where the router issues and potential technical/security roadblocks are such that I can manage it with little if any downtime, this will have to do.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

I use UltraVNC here in our office and it works great! I love popping in on user's computers to see what the hell they are doing every now and then.

What really helps is when someone calls in with a problem from one of our remote offices (some over 8 hours away). I can just forward a port in their router and a couple of seconds later I'm on their machine!

It's a very handy tool.