If you were me, who do you root for today?

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Buried_Nick
You can't spell scUM, without UM

If you were me, who do you root for today?

Post by Buried_Nick »

Wake to WAX Dook?

or,

Dook to pull out a close one?

Wake has 3 losses, but dook has 4 allready.
MSU has a 19-4 record, and "should" pass duke in the Coaches poll tonight
But getting Wake to a 4th loss would also help us later, I believe.
(Saying MSU wins out til Mar. 13th at the United Center, with a record of 25-4, possible)

My contention is, we should want as many 4 - 5 loss teams up in the top 5 as we can get. Solidifying that #2 seed, with a chance at a #1 even. (If the Gods shine down) :mrgreen:
Poptart, the tard slapper wrote:Don't ya think you could at least sit the boys down for a day or two and talk to 'em about rubbin' one out...?
:lol:
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

If I were you I would have a gun or rope handy.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

If I were you, I'd off myself. We're all rooting for Darwin.

the_ouskull
Last edited by the_ouskull on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

If I were you I'd come to the realization that there is NO chance of MSU getting a 1 seed.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Buried_Nick

Post by Buried_Nick »

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

That was quick.
Poptart, the tard slapper wrote:Don't ya think you could at least sit the boys down for a day or two and talk to 'em about rubbin' one out...?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: If you were me, who do you root for today?

Post by Shoalzie »

MSUFAN wrote:My contention is, we should want as many 4 - 5 loss teams up in the top 5 as we can get. Solidifying that #2 seed, with a chance at a #1 even. (If the Gods shine down) :mrgreen:

State gets a #1 seed if the top 10 fall off the face of the earth tomorrow. Be happy with a #3 seed.

If MSU and Duke have the same record in the end, you have to get the edge to the Devils since they won the head-to-head and play in the tougher conference.
Buried_Nick

Post by Buried_Nick »

Duke will have more losses, and be behind us in the polls.

I'm not sayin we can control our own destiny.
I simply think with some key losses, and MSU winning out, that 26-4 gets us a #1. Most will say that no way does the B10 get TWO #1's. That's OK, though. If we're ranked 4 or 5, when we play Ill. in Chicago, with the entire world watching, and we beat #1. The ONLY team to do it! - I say that's decent #1 material.
NYCDolFan
Crack Whore

Post by NYCDolFan »

I think Dook will likely finish with 6 or 7 losses before the NCAA Tourney and will fall to at least a #4 Seed.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MSUFAN wrote:Duke will have more losses, and be behind us in the polls.

I simply think with some key losses, and MSU winning out, that 26-4 gets us a #1. Most will say that no way does the B10 get TWO #1's. That's OK, though. If we're ranked 4 or 5, when we play Ill. in Chicago, with the entire world watching, and we beat #1. The ONLY team to do it! - I say that's decent #1 material.

Say what you want about Duke but they've give wins over North Carolina and Wake Forest...the only team in the ACC that can say that. They have gone 4-4 in their last 8 and the tourney committee likes rewarding teams that are playing well. The VaTech clunker will hurt their rep but last week at this time, they were 6th in the RPI...Wake Forest was 3rd, Carolina was behind Duke at 8 and MSU was 17th. The Tech loss hurt them but beating #3 Wake probably keeps them in the top 10.

As much as everyone wants to bury Duke this year, they go out and drop 100 on the #5 ranked team in the nation. The 3-3 road record isn't impressive but they're third in one of the best conferences in the nation and they have wins over both teams that are ahead of them. Like it or not but this team is still a viable threat if they can knock down their shots...tonight was a perfect example.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

the_ouskull wrote:We're all rooting for Darwin.
No we're not.

Sincerely,

Creationists, i.e., 90% of this board.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

NYCDolFan wrote:I think Dook will likely finish with 6 or 7 losses before the NCAA Tourney and will fall to at least a #4 Seed.

Let's see...four games left in the regular season and they could lose in the ACC tournament.

Wednesday at Georgia Tech...they beat them by 17 in Cameron on the 5th but that was without Elder. Considering Duke's struggles on the road, I'd say this is a possible loss.

Saturday at St. John's...at 9-14, the Johnnies aren't an upset candidate and they've got Syracuse earlier in the week. Sure Duke dropped that game at VaTech but how likely would have a second bad loss in two weeks? I'd chalk this up as a win.

Next Thursday vs. Miami...the Canes are a bubble team with a 6-7 record in the ACC and needing a big win to get into the tournament. Beating Duke in Cameron would help but they dropped the earlier meeting with the Devils at home 92-83. It will be the last home game of the season for Duke and the last home game for Ewing...I don't see them losing on Senior Day.

Next Sunday at North Carolina...okay, this one's probably going to be a loss but Roy Williams isn't exactly beating Coach K on a regular basis. If the Heels drop a another ACC game before this one, it matchup could be for the regular season title. The Heels still have to go to N.C. State and Maryland this week...two potential trap games for them. North Carolina hasn't lost in the Dean Dome this year and they'll be favored to win this game for sure.

The ACC tournament, you can only lose once and on a neutral site and considering Duke's track record in this tournament...who says they can't win it?

To review, I see atleast one loss with the Carolina, the GaTech game will be tricky and potentially they could get bounced in their conference tournament. If they only lose the game at Carolina and finish with 5 losses in conference and finish third, that still gives them a solid resume but not the usually Duke dominance in conference. They lost a lot of talent from last year and Coach K has done one of his best coaching jobs with what he's got. We'll see what happens in the next three weeks. If they win out, they possibly a #1 and if they lose 2 or 3 games, they're probably looking at a #4 seed. With how much balance there in college hoops this year, I can see champion coming out of anywhere from a #1 seed down to a #5 seed...I would give most teams a puncher's chance in March.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MSUFAN wrote:Duke will have more losses, and be behind us in the polls.

For starters, you're not going to be a #1 unless you win the regular season title. To do that, Illinois would have to lose their final three games against 13-12 Northwestern, 7-16 Purdue, and 18-9 Ohio State. I'm sorry but that ain't happening, buddy. Even if they lose twice, the Illini still win the conference title because they'd have the tiebreaker over State with the head-to-head win. State gets a #1 if they Illinois completely falls on their face, then loses early in the conference tournament, the Spartans have to win the Big 10 tournament, and then have atleast 5 of the top 10 teams have one bad loss before the end of the season. Plus, State has no wins against teams currently ranked in the Top 25...where are they going to get the support to be ranked #1 in any region?

Like I said in my last post, I'd give any team a puncher's chance in the tournament so why are you so hung up on getting a #1 seed? If you're a #1, #2, #3, and so on...you've got a chance to win the whole thing.
Buried_Nick

Post by Buried_Nick »

RPI is way over rated. The Coaches poll gets a lot of respect. (btw - before this weekend, MSU was #14 RPI, melvin. Not 17. And will move up at least a few spots today.) Lots 'O games to be played yet.

My angle is NO diff than UM pigskin fans constant assertions every Dec. 1st about the BCS points. UM always thinks they can grab that open title game spot, if ONLY a couple more key teams lose. - We'd be the "Best 2 loss team in the land" - That kind of stuff. So, leave me alone.

One can always dream, right UM fan?

Hey, August 30 isn't that far off! :lol:
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

MSUFAN wrote:If you were me, who would you root for?
Whom ever Nick Saban was coaching.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MSUFAN wrote:RPI is way over rated. The Coaches poll gets a lot of respect. (btw - before this weekend, MSU was #14 RPI, melvin. Not 17. And will move up at least a few spots today.)

According to this ranking after last night's action, Duke is #6, Michigan State is #16...they were #17 when I saw the rankings late last night. It's strange that Kansas is still #1 with two losses this week.

(I apologize for the pop-up...it looks harmless)

[web]http://collegerpi.com/cy/rpi.html[/web]

...melvin. 8)
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Shoalzie wrote: Plus, State has no wins against teams currently ranked in the Top 25 since February 2, 2003 ...where are they going to get the support to be ranked #1 in any region?
FTFY
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

MSUFAN wrote:RPI is way over rated. The Coaches poll gets a lot of respect.
Say what you will about the RPI, I don't think anyone can logically defend it as an accurate rating tool.

But your comment on the Coaches' Poll is bullshit - It might as well be called the assistant SID's poll. And in a sport where the champ is determined on the court, it doesn't count for shit anyways.

It's a bit early to be talking seeds - maybe after the GaTech game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
Shoalzie wrote: For starters, you're not going to be a #1 unless you win the regular season title.
Are you saying this about just the Big Ten this year, or in general?

I don't think the Big Ten is getting two #1 seeds so the conference champ would be the only one to get the nod. Illinois looks like they'll be the #1 of #1 seeds even with a loss. Babs is reaching for them things to fall just right for them to rise up the rankings. They'll stay in the 10-15 range in the polls and get a 3 or 4 seed. They have a nice record but don't have a great win in their resume. This year was a break for them since they went away from the murderous non-conference schedule.