Wade Phillips?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

The Assassin
Raider Fan

Wade Phillips?

Post by The Assassin »

Sources: Cowboys to name Phillips new head coachESPN.com

Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells ... Cowboys fans have been waiting for the next big name to lead a storied franchise. They might be surprised by the answer.

League and Cowboys sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will be named Dallas' head coach. Phillips traveled from San Diego to Dallas on Wednesday night after being told that he was their choice to replace the now-retired Parcells.

Wade Phillips' Coaching Record
Wade Phillips, who currently is the defensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, is 48-39 as an NFL head coach, but 0-3 in the playoffs.
Year Team Record Playoffs
1985 NOR* 1-3 None
1993 DEN 9-7 0-1
1994 DEN 7-9 None
1998 BUF 10-6 0-1
1999 BUF 11-5 0-1
2000 BUF 8-8 None
2003 ATL* 2-1 None
*Interim coach

While contract details must still be worked out and a contract signed, a formal team announcement for Phillips could come as early as Thursday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had reportedly been torn between hiring a defensive- or offensive-minded coach. Choosing Phillips answers that question and addresses issues with Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. The Cowboys have been running a 3-4 defense while Rivera is the architect of Chicago's successful 4-3 scheme. Phillips has had great success with the 3-4 defense throughout his career and helped the Chargers to a 14-2 regular-season record in 2006.

San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner was widely regarded as the front-runner for the Cowboys job. The hiring of former Cowboys quarterback Jason Garrett might have doomed his candidacy. Garrett's role has not been formally defined, but he will likely be named Dallas' offensive coordinator. Turner is considered one of the premier play-callers in the league, and Jones might not have wanted to impede Garrett, who reportedly impressed the Cowboys owner in their interview.

Phillips spent much of Tuesday contacting coaches he wants to hire as assistants if he gets the Dallas job, sources told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

"It would be an overstatement to say he's putting together a staff," one source said. "But he was just touching base with his guys, updating them as to where he thinks things stand, and trying to hold [potential staffers] together. He is still in the hunt."

On Wednesday, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell became the 10th candidate to interview for a vacancy created when Parcells opted to retire on Jan. 21. Phillips interviewed for the job on Jan. 26.

Caldwell met with Jones and his son Stephen for more than six hours Wednesday and said he expected a decision to be made in "short order."

"I had a great time," Caldwell said of his interview for the Cowboys' head coaching vacancy. "I learned a lot about the organization."

In head coaching stints with Denver (1993-94) and Buffalo (1998-2000), Phillips compiled a 45-38 record, including the playoffs, and led his teams to three wild-card berths. He also served stints as interim head coach at New Orleans in 1985 and Atlanta in 2003.

Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

I get giddy seeing all of Marty's assistants leave him as well as seeing the cowgirls make another bad hire. Phillips has had 2 other chances as a coach and has failed at both. Can't wait to watch as T.O runs this guy out of Dallas too.

Good hire Jerry! :lol:
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

If this is indeed the Dallas hire, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a Cowboy fan who is sincerely enthused by it.
They might try to spin it positively, as Raider fan did when pineapple head Turner was hired, but make no mistake, they are limp in their pants over it.

Going from Parcells to Phillips is roughly akin to going from J-Lo to 66 yr old Charo.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure BearFan is relieved...they probably get to hang onto Rivera for another year. He's gonna get a head coaching gig at some point.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

having suffered throught some pretty shitty seasons with that mook at the helm, all I can say to Dallas fan is....

Good Luck.......
get out, get out while there's still time
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Looks like it's shaping up to be a great choice. I'm excited for Dallas.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I hate Dallas, but I would love for them to win a SB with Phillips and just watch the clusterfuck that is JJ fire Phillips so Garret can be the HC.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Oh boy, where do I begin? I was not enthused by any of the candidates so eventually I knew it was going to be a ho-hum selection. However, given all the retreads and non-experienced head coaches that were interviewed, I would say I am happy that Phillips was selected. I saw the Boys defense go to shit the last 5 weeks of the season. I have heard comments from their defensive guys that they had no idea what they were doing on the field. I hope Philips can change that around much like he did for a stellar Charger defense. I know its wishful thinking but what else do I have to hold onto?

As for Garrett, he will be the next head coach. When that happens is anyones guess. Now I am curious who the defensive coordinator will be. Mike Singletary? I wouldn't be upset with that signing either.

Have fun shredding the Boys selection for a head coach. However you look at it, we are still in MUCH better shape than the Raiders.

:lol:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

DallasFanatic wrote:Have fun shredding the Boys selection for a head coach. However you look at it, we are still in MUCH better shape than the Raiders.
That's like the paraplegic calling bode on the quadriplegic. Sure, it's true. But it really doesn't mean a damn thing.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Meh. This doesn't blow up my skirt, but I'm not crying either. I'ma give Bum's son a fair shake asee what he does.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

What the hell makes Jason Garret such an offensive genius?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

jiminphilly wrote:What the hell makes Jason Garret such an offensive genius?
Holding the clipboard while Aikman/Smith/Irvin/Best Offensxive Line ever tore up the leage did I guess.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I meant that seriously as in he had a hell of a product to learn form. Hence, the no :rolleyes:.

He's the Major Aplewhite of the NFL.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Turner, like Phillips has a lousy history as head coach. But Turner is a good OC (even acknowledged by Aikman) and if Turner says Garret isn't ready for the gig, I have to believe him.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

jiminphilly wrote:Turner, like Phillips has a lousy history as head coach. But Turner is a good OC (even acknowledged by Aikman) and if Turner says Garret isn't ready for the gig, I have to believe him.
I think Turners comments were more on the lines of..."I am a selfish prick and want to call all the plays because when I did that for the Boys in 93 we won it all. I won't let some young whipper snapper call the plays"
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

BSmack wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:Have fun shredding the Boys selection for a head coach. However you look at it, we are still in MUCH better shape than the Raiders.
That's like the paraplegic calling bode on the quadriplegic. Sure, it's true. But it really doesn't mean a damn thing.
Your the last person to be talking. Your coach has all of 0 victories as a head coach in the NFL. Have fun being 6-10 at best for the next couple of years.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

I never thought Wade Phillips would ever be a head coach again considering his debaucle of a coaching time here in Denver. He still couldn't win the big one in Buffalo either!

I don't think this was a good hire and Dallas would have probably been better off with Pete Carroll. I heard his name being tossed around before today.

I'm just curious on how ole' Wade is going to deal with the cancer that is Terrell Owens and try to assure Romo he's still the starter and turn him back into the starter he was last season.
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

When asked of Bronco players here in Denver, Son of Bum was regarded as “too nice of a guy...not a disciplinarian”
I can’t imagine what the other 52 Cowboy players will think when he just sits back and tries to pamper the over-paid spoiled TO
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Phillips is not bad, but I would have still preferred Norv be the one to destroy the Cowgurls next couple seasons.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

The further in the distance the Jimmy Johnson era gets, the more Jerry Jones shows that it WAS all about Jimmy. Yes, Jerry had the balls to hire Jimmy, but, he didnt have the brains to keep him.

Wade is a uninspiring, middle of the road pick to say the least.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

We're happy with the hire,
Sincerely,
The rest of the NFC East
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Call me crazy, but I don't see this as a bad thing for the Cowboys. Like the Raiders of past eras, this team is molded in Jones' image more than that of a head coach. Sure, strong egos like Parcells will make a dent in the overall equation, but Jones is the consumate, hands-on owner that Davis wishes he could still be.

Phillips should be able to perform the administrative tasks of a head coach but, above all else, he's going to be charged with the defense next year.

The bigger question facing the Cowboys starts and ends with Garrett and Romo. If the duo has some early-season success, Jones' gamble will be applauded, and Garrett's stock will rise through the roof. If not, the prodigy will still get a one-year pass. Phillips, not Garrett, will bear the burden in the media and be cast as a sacrificial lamb if the combo sputters.

His only hope is to conjure up a defense that can play well enough to mask Garrett's mistakes on the learning curve.

Tough spot for Son-of-Bum, but at least he's going into this one eyes wide open.
General Peters
All-American Kid

Post by General Peters »

Here's his daughter:

well kiss my ass and call it rosy
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

General Thimbledick,

Just when did you start paying attention to females over the age of 15?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
General Peters
All-American Kid

Post by General Peters »

Sorry, I'll refrain from posting pics of hot women. I know it goes against everything this fukken board stands for
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

General Peters wrote:Sorry, I'll refrain from posting pics of hot women. I know it goes against everything this fukken board stands for
Good for you.

The next time you want to post pics of hot wimen, try picking a topic that wasn't dead for 8 days.

Just wondering, though. G-Pete, why in hell would you drop in here with that?

It's not that we don't appreciate a hottie (and that gal certainly qualifies), but why go all spamtastic on us poor citizens of this once proud NFL forum?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

RACK G. Pete.

Pic of wife (aunt, cuzin, former 3nd grade teacher) of Wade .... ?

ty