Your Favorite Franchise Restaurant

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Your Favorite Franchise Restaurant

Post by Uncle Fester »

Taco Time

I loved that fuggen place when I lived in Montana. Here in Minnesota all we have is Taco Bell and the odd Taco Johns.

Dammit All To Hell.

Update:

I just checked the Taco Time website. To start a franchise, you need $300,000 net worth and $100,000 in liquid capital.

Anybody wanna spot me $8 bucks toward bringing one of these bad boys to the Twin Cities?
Last edited by Uncle Fester on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

There used to be a Taco Time right across the street. It's a Starbucks now.

Tough question, Fes. I might have to go with Burgerville(U&L chain).

Or Chang's Mongolian Grill(U&L chain, but I doubt there's a whole lot of differences between mongolian grill chains).

If I'm looking for a major pigfest, Izzy's ain't all that bad...not a 4-star by any means, but serviceable. Beats the poo out of Hometown Buffet for all-you-can-pukes, anyway(and yeah, there's a Hometown across the street from me, too).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
AJ
Irrelevant

Post by AJ »

Sonic.

I like the variety of drinks, shakes, and blasts, especially the seasonal choices.
another satisfied Hardcrow customer
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

P.F. Chang's

They're the best thing that's happened to the local mall ever.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

PF Chang's is very good Asian style dining !!
Too bad the nearest one to me is a few miles to my south in Bonita Springs.
Locally-I vote for this place:

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

AJ wrote:Sonic.
Don't got those here. I doubt I'm missing much.

BSmack wrote:P.F. Chang's

Got those here. Never been. Heard nothing but good things(although it's hard to fuck up Chinese food, and there's too many Ma and Pa Chinky places...I guess having a large Chinese population will do that).

But alas, PF Chang's isn't across the street. I live in a virual Mecca of food places within walking distance. Unbelievable selection. I guess living adjacent to a major business hiway will do that.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

nothing like--
a poppa john's
pepperoni pizza--
ordered
over the internet!!1

/s/ the whole board all of november
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh...there's a Poppa John's across the street, too. Won't touch that shit with a ten foot pole.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

seriously, who eats at franchises unless they are traveling on the freeway?

really fer serious
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

We've got P.F. Chang's and the food is great, but it's always an hour wait to get in. Same with Big Bowl.

Macaroni Grill used to serve a dish to die for -- "Pollo oreganato," which was chicken on shredded spinach and orzo pasta. Gawd that stuff was good. I ordered it every fricken time I went in there.

When they took it off the menu, I fell to my knees and grabbed my head like Homer Simpson and yelled, "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" The chefs continued to make it for me for several years after that, but now they since forgotten the recipe.

I wonder why Taco Time never made it further than the Western States? Damnation, Taco Bell is not the same.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

PF Chang's is NOT--I repeat--NOT
a buffet place. Sit down--serve you--even give you black cloth napkins if you're wearing black pants, etc.
Decent menu--you can check it out on the net:

http://www.pfchangs.com/
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

taco time is debinitly better than taco bell

but...

there are so many authentic mexican and american style mexican places here, those mcTaco places are empty most of the time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

We aren't really diferentiating between franchises and chains, since I'm sure most of us are unaware of which ones are chains, and which are franchises.

But yeah...on a roadie, it might serve one well to eat at a Chevy's rather than Uncle Jose's Hepatitis Factory. Maybe McDonald's over Big Jim's Botulism Burgers...we pride ourselves on our world's famous E-Coli Shakes!

They do have their place, I suppose.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Wolfman wrote:PF Chang's is NOT--I repeat--NOT
a buffet place.
Well, thanks for clearing that up.

Sin,
Nobody seemed to have that confused in the first place
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

Dinsdale wrote:
But yeah...on a roadie, it might serve one well to eat at a Chevy's rather than Uncle Jose's Hepatitis Factory. Maybe McDonald's over Big Jim's Botulism Burgers...we pride ourselves on our world's famous E-Coli Shakes!

meh, I've noticed a chain of establishments on the stretch of hwy 97 between Bend and Klamath Falls, OR called simply....

EAT

nope, never stopped at one of those
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:taco time is debinitly better than taco bell
I'll take your word for it. Since not only will I starve before putting that shit down my hole, but I won't even kiss a bitch if she's eaten at Taco Bell in the last few hours.

That shit just isn't food. I can't believe they stay in business.

there are so many authentic mexican and american style mexican places here, those mcTaco places are empty most of the time
When I go on my 90-second drive/short walk for food, there's a Taco Bell right on the corner(next door to Papa Murphy's)...don't even have to go across the street. Or, I can walk the extra 15 seconds, and go to Salvador's, and spend about the same cash...Hmmm....tough call. I'd guess there's probably at least ten Jose Havens within a short walking distance of me, quite a few more with a few extra minutes walk. Most burrito joints also have real hot sauce, rather than that miserable crap that Border and others serve in packets...GAHHHH!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

A steak burrito from Chipotle is pretty damn good.

There is a faster version of P.F. Chang's out here called Pei Wei. Same ownership and not all that bad.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote: meh, I've noticed a chain of establishments on the stretch of hwy 97 between Bend and Klamath Falls, OR called simply....

EAT

nope, never stopped at one of those

When travelling for work in the U&L, a pretty safe bet is Main Street Pizza. Ate there a bunch when I was sentenced to working in Madras. Funny trhing, those -- they seem to be in towns from 5-15,000 people. Never see them in the Portland area. Tillamook, Banks, elsewhere...no Metro area. Too bad -- good za.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

timmay wrote:taco time is debinitly better than taco bell
but...
"Authentic" has its place, but there's something to be said for a quick ground beef taco or burrio, tater tots, and green sauce, all served quickly with a relatively limited risk for contracting botchulism or e-coli.

Taco Bell on the other hand is always filthy, about a notch up from eating a week-old burrito out of the snack machine at a Greyhound Bus depot.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

L45B wrote:Chipotle

Fairly new here, and quite deece.

I still prefer Baja Fresh....mmmmmmm, Baja Fresh. A quick check of the website shows that they've made it outside of the few western states that they started in. Hell, I'm willing to overlook the fact they're a subsidiary of Wendy's(did I mention I can walk to Wendy's, too?).
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

mexican food is serious compettitive business here. no less than 60 authentic mexican places in this small ass town. like I said, some do it american stile with ground beef yellow cheeses and fried shells, etc.

not one place in town I would think twice about eating at.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

timmay wrote:mexican food is serious compettitive business here. no less than 60 authentic mexican places in this small ass town. like I said, some do it american stile with ground beef yellow cheeses and fried shells, etc.
60?

Lightweights.

American style? Hell, I'd be happy if they took my order "American style"...like in English. Lots of pointing at the menu 'round these parts.

But if you've ever been to Woodburn(south of here, off I-5, between Salem and Wisonville), you'd forget everything you know about burrito joints. Holy freaking smokes, there's literally one on every corner. They sell meth in those places, too. Fucked up town, that Woodburn. Oh well, it gives them orthodox russians someone to shoot at.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

miami subs food was nailz, most of them closed down.

where else can you get a $2 hamburger and a bottle of dom perignon?
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

"woodburn"

'nuff said
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I hate walking into an "authentic" mom and pop messican place and being made to feel like Will Ferrell in a Christmas theme sweater, going "BooWayne-nos Dios, my compadre. I will have the...ahh... Mole? No thanks there, I prefer them in the ground! HA HA HA er...ahem. Menudo? Sorry, not really a fan of the boy bands. Papadzules? Empanada? Have you got anything in a ground beef "taco," por favor?"

Then the guy goes back out into the kitchen and says something in Spanish and the cooks all laugh.

I need more of the formica, American cheese, and numbered value meals.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Ruth's Chris, of course. I won't eat anywhere else.

Sin
Zygote
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Adelpiero wrote:miami subs food was nailz, most of them closed down.
I MISS THEM!!!!!

My current favorite is Tijuana Flats.
Blitzen
Certified Holiday Troll™

Post by Blitzen »

Dinsdale, you and I will probably never see a Sonic. The climate north of the 40th latitude all wrong. Sonic is all about retro drive-in style. The staff wears roller skates and there's no dining room. You eat in your car or you sit on a bench outside. They have 480 different ways to cool off your innards. It's truly remarkable the number of ways they combine sugar and frozen water. North of the 40th Sonic would have to make 90% of its income during the 60% of the year people want to swallow flavored ice and surround themselves with the weather.

The burgers are a study in ingenuity. It takes some brilliant minds to successfully market and sell unseasoned taco meat on a bun and call it a "burger". The "burger" comes in two styles. With mayonnaise or with mustard. Their coney dogs have cheese flavored soy paste slathered across the top if into that sort of thing. Their "breakfast" is only named that because they couldn't fit "the meal that precedes lunch" on the menu. Calling it breakfast by description is a language crime. My heavy winter coat shudders every time I read the early morning menu during the annual flyover.

The only item at Sonic that's worth ingesting more than once is the vegetation in the poorly weeded grassy strip they put between the parking lot and the road. They grow some real nice wild flowers and thistles around there.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

PF Chang's/Pei Wei
Macaroni Grill
Chipotle (although Mission Burrito and Freebirds are better here in Tejas)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

dins, you ain't missing shit as far as sonic goes. I guess if you have to do a drive in where the waitress walks up to your car, it's a'ight, but, seeing as just about every place on the planet has a drive through, why bother.

As for chains? How many makes a chain? Fat mo's in Nashville has a handful of stores and it's great. Others that I frequent would include subway. It ain't special, but, you get a lot of shit for cheap if you do the 3 for 12 bucks thing.

Speaking of messican joints, when I was in the navy there was this place right off the base in orlando called Naugles. Awesome horse cock sized burritos. There was also one right off the base in Great Lakes (north of chicago). There sign said they has a few locales in lo/socal. Any of you fukkers ever hear of it?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote:Mission Burrito
I've yet to eat a burrito that associates itself with the Mission, that could even carry a real Mission burrito's jock.

And Taco Del Mar(DISGUSTING! How can you fuck up a burrito that badly?) should be brought up on fraud charges for calling that slop a "Mission Style burrito." I've had Mission burritos, and you sir are no Mission burrito.

Although I do find it funny that a Texas outfit would gravytrain a california Mexican food thing.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Blitzen wrote:The staff wears roller skates and there's no dining room.

The last of those around here that I know of folded up a few years back, probably because it sucked. I think it was an A&W, but I don't remember.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

smackaholic wrote: Naugles. Awesome horse cock sized burritos. There was also one right off the base in Great Lakes (north of chicago).
naugles had some great food.

their cheese burritos fucking ruled, especially when drunk. i believe they all became del tacos around here.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Blitzen wrote:The only item at Sonic that's worth ingesting more than once is the vegetation in the poorly weeded grassy strip they put between the parking lot and the road.
I was waiting in the drive-thru at a Sonic in Chesapeake a few months ago, and dude (or was it a chick? I don't 'member) in front of me ordered a couple big bags of ice. Carhop hands 'em to the driver top end first, and a bag opened, dumping ice all over driver's lap. I got a big BWAHA outta that one.
"I see everything twice!"
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dinsdale wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:Mission Burrito
I've yet to eat a burrito that associates itself with the Mission, that could even carry a real Mission burrito's jock.

And Taco Del Mar(DISGUSTING! How can you fuck up a burrito that badly?) should be brought up on fraud charges for calling that slop a "Mission Style burrito." I've had Mission burritos, and you sir are no Mission burrito.

Although I do find it funny that a Texas outfit would gravytrain a california Mexican food thing.
I beleive that they took their name from the Alamo Mission, although it's Houston-based and they've never opened a restaurant in San Antonio.

But yeah, they're kind of like a mission burrito.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Dinsdale wrote:I still prefer Baja Fresh....mmmmmmm, Baja Fresh...Hell, I'm willing to overlook the fact they're a subsidiary of Wendy's...
I thought they were. Figures, McDonald's owns Chipotle.

Just a few midwest chains that I always hit up when I go home:

-Penn Station (tasty dagwood subs with kick ass bread)
-Bob Evan's (good breakfast chain, too bad nobody gives a fuck about breakfast food out here)
-Super Subby's (only seen these in parts of Ohio but damn good sangwiches)
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Rack Fu wrote: I beleive that they took their name from the Alamo Mission, although it's Houston-based and they've never opened a restaurant in San Antonio.

I could be mistaken(but don't tell anyone I said that), but I believe the humongous food-tube style burritos originated in the Mission District of San Francisco. Hence "Mission style burritos."

Not Texas. Not Mexico. San Francisco.

Which should still not be confused with the Tamale Lady. Lots of grubbinzy after-bar-closing eats in San Fran.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Naugles is gone in SoCal. (Are they Del Taco's now???)

Baja Fresh is good eatin'. Haven't ever visited a Chipotles despite Van's endorsement.

In 'n Out Burger rules. They go no further than Vegas I think.

Tommy's isn't bad either.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dinsdale wrote:
Rack Fu wrote: I beleive that they took their name from the Alamo Mission, although it's Houston-based and they've never opened a restaurant in San Antonio.

I could be mistaken(but don't tell anyone I said that), but I believe the humongous food-tube style burritos originated in the Mission District of San Francisco. Hence "Mission style burritos."

Not Texas. Not Mexico. San Francisco.

Which should still not be confused with the Tamale Lady. Lots of grubbinzy after-bar-closing eats in San Fran.
Like I said, it's definitely a mission-style burrito. But I think they sort of made it their own by using the Alamo in the logo in some kind of witty we-are-not-ripping-SanFran-off kind of way.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

There are Baja Fresh restaurants here in Pittsburgh. They're on about the same level as Qdoba - I regard them to be the Subways of tacodom - where there are reasonably fresh items available for cheap.

A Chipotle is opening here soon.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.