Husker fans...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

minorthreat
Elwood

Husker fans...

Post by minorthreat »

I see ISU has interviewed Jay Norvell for head coach.

What is your take on the guy?
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Seems very knowledgable on the game, but I really couldn't tell you what I think about him because while he's supposedly Callahan's OC, it's Callahan's offense and Callahan calls the plays. Jay is his eyes in the booth during games. I think he's a good evaluator of talent seeing as he worked all season long with Joe Dailey, even called him out in the press for leaving a lot of offense out on the field because he had a tendency to completely ignore the open running backs and try for the big play, so I'm sure he pushed for a better QB to get in. If Zac Taylor's progress is any indication, he's helped shape him in a short time.

I really don't care to see him go to a border state in the same conference, but I wouldn't be unhappy for him if he left. Would ISU be happy? I'm not sure. Like I said. I don't know much about his coaching other than I've seen a lot of progress out of our QB.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

At Large wrote:Seems very knowledgable on the game, but I really couldn't tell you what I think about him because while he's supposedly Callahan's OC, it's Callahan's offense and Callahan calls the plays. Jay is his eyes in the booth during games. I think he's a good evaluator of talent seeing as he worked all season long with Joe Dailey, even called him out in the press for leaving a lot of offense out on the field because he had a tendency to completely ignore the open running backs and try for the big play, so I'm sure he pushed for a better QB to get in. If Zac Taylor's progress is any indication, he's helped shape him in a short time.

I really don't care to see him go to a border state in the same conference, but I wouldn't be unhappy for him if he left. Would ISU be happy? I'm not sure. Like I said. I don't know much about his coaching other than I've seen a lot of progress out of our QB.
Yeah this is pretty much the take on Norvell ^^^.
Norvell I believe has an eye for talent and has worked very closely with the QB's like Large states.
And I'd think Taylor would be the first to tell you he was able to operate the offense in a relatively short period of time due in large part because of Jay.
However, he doesn't pop up much in recruiting news.

If I'm Cyclone fan, I'd be a bit concerned that he'd need to line it up with his mentor annually while working with a probable less talent pool and a budget that isn't quite there.
A guy Callahan knows very well. Now it could be said he knows Callahan as well and I'm sure he does, but it would seem to me the teacher would hold the advantage on the pupil for some time.

From what I hear Jamie Pollard has big plans to expand the facilities, he'll need too if ISU has any chance to attract Big 12 recruits.
I think McCarney did it with honesty and energy...something many coaches would have trouble pulling off in Ames.
Pollard will need to get some glitter to get ISU to be on par. McCarney was able to overcome those deficiencys with his own demeanor. Plus he's a pretty good coach.
I think Pollard should have given him one more year to tweak a few things. If McCarney had a fault, it was probably keeping some assistants around too long, due to his loyalty.
If he'd made some changes he might have done better, but he had zero depth and plenty of injuries.
I will say he didn't use Blythe nearly enough when he was healthy. Probably Cotton's fault, but that's where as head coach you have him make a few changes on play calling.

Bottom line, I know Norvell has worked hard toward this opportunity and probably is ready. I'd just think he'd be better served at a MAC type school a few years to get his feet wet. Jumpin' into the Big 12, which is getting better top to botttom, will be a tough test for a rookie coach. Pollard may see that as well.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I don't have much to add really, the other guys basically said-it. He could be a good candidate. I'd be able to say more if I'd ever seen him with the offense to himself.

Some other candidates should be Kragthorpe from Tulsa and Briles from Houston. If ISU is for-real about improving facilities and making ISU a better sell then those guys would be real possibilities.

His age will kill his candidacy, otherwise I'd say Solich. He showed in 03 that he can learn from previous errors(being own OC, micromanaging, keeping staff Osborne wanted, not enough recruiting emphasis) and put a quality staff together that could coach and attract talent. Plus dude has perennial-loser Ohio winning and headed to the MAC-championship in his second year.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Well take it for what its worth but I think Callahan has really buddied up with Watson since he came over from Colorado. My take is that Jay is having a diminishing role since Watson's arrival in Lincoln, you can read into that anyway you want. Jay is a great QB coach and has help Taylor develop into a good player but he doesn't do great in the recruiting circles. He would have great schemes at ISU but don't know if he has the characteristics to go get the players it takes to win in Ames and the Big XII. McCarney had so much energy and it drove the ISU program to what it is, I just don't see Norvell being able to do that. ISU should have given McCarney more time.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

What are you basing your Watson-BC-Norvelle relationship-triangle on? Not attacking just asking since I'm certainly not in the loop.

Norvelle isn't one of our go-to guys in terms of recruiting, mainly more of a good offensive mind, gotta agree there. He'd especially need some good-talkers underneath him if he becomes a HC.

I just hope rumors are false and we don't lose Blake to NC. Dude is our ace-in-the-hole recruiter and a dang-good position coach.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

I have an inside source on that.

Blake would be a big loss but I have heard Randy Jordan may be another to leave for NC. Also look toward a guy from NC State should Norvell leave.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I've also been impressed with the job Solich has done at Ohio U.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:I have an inside source on that.

Blake would be a big loss but I have heard Randy Jordan may be another to leave for NC. Also look toward a guy from NC State should Norvell leave.
Would that be Mark Trestman? He would obviously have a lot of experience with the WCO. It would be a trade-off for him since he would be adding job-security and program notoriety but losing offensive authority/playcalling. Considering Amato's shaky status I could see that happening. He wouldn't want to end-up like Marvin Sanders, turning-down other offers only to end-up on a sinking ship.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

You got it.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:Well take it for what its worth but I think Callahan has really buddied up with Watson since he came over from Colorado. My take is that Jay is having a diminishing role since Watson's arrival in Lincoln, you can read into that anyway you want. Jay is a great QB coach and has help Taylor develop into a good player but he doesn't do great in the recruiting circles. He would have great schemes at ISU but don't know if he has the characteristics to go get the players it takes to win in Ames and the Big XII. McCarney had so much energy and it drove the ISU program to what it is, I just don't see Norvell being able to do that. ISU should have given McCarney more time.

12 years wasn't long enough?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

I've always kind of wondered what being OC to Callahan REALLY meant....since the playcalling issue already came up with Norvell i thought i would air the question.

i'm not sure exactly what this Nebraska staff has proven other than it's about a 9 win/medium Alamo-Cotton bowl staff under Callahan to start talking about these guys like they are super-genius types. no doubt there is improvement from 2 years ago and recruiting is top 20ish and better than with Frankie....but, has Callahan ever beat a ranked team?

edit: i guess there's a mediocre Michigan team, but OK...that's one. any more?
Last edited by King Crimson on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Norvell and Harbaugh are both off the list I guess.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

minorthreat wrote:Norvell and Harbaugh are both off the list I guess.
You better hope Pollard's got a sitting coach waiting for someone's season to end.
If he's searching with no sure thing in place, he could get caught up in a mess.
Home visits start next week, and ISU ain't gonna be in anyone's living room to start.
This could be Steve Pederson part deux.
You gotta wonder if a guy like Mike Price would feel it would benefit him to leave UTEP for an ISU.
Just something I've heard speculated.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

ISU needs to keep-up with the Joneses in terms of program upgrades and needs to be able to sell the prospective coach on ISU as a place you can win in the 12 at if they are going to attract a coach that has real options for the future. A Mike Price would be a nice get.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Cornhusker wrote:
minorthreat wrote:Norvell and Harbaugh are both off the list I guess.
You better hope Pollard's got a sitting coach waiting for someone's season to end.
If he's searching with no sure thing in place, he could get caught up in a mess.
Home visits start next week, and ISU ain't gonna be in anyone's living room to start.
This could be Steve Pederson part deux.
You gotta wonder if a guy like Mike Price would feel it would benefit him to leave UTEP for an ISU.
Just something I've heard speculated.

I'd take Price. I'm beginning to get a little nervous. I'm hoping this ends well like the B-Ball HC search.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I wouldn't worry yet. I think ISU is looking at a little bigger fish than Norvelle or Harbaugh, they may well have a guy in mind they just can't get at til regular-season ends.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Danimal wrote:I wouldn't worry yet. I think ISU is looking at a little bigger fish than Norvelle or Harbaugh, they may well have a guy in mind they just can't get at til regular-season ends.
I hope you are right.

Brian Kelly from Central Mich. is the big name now.