Anybody give a shit about the Tour Championship?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Anybody give a shit about the Tour Championship?

Post by BSmack »

Good, neither do I.

Way to go Tiger and Phil. Way to prop up the Tour. Way to increase viewership and interest in your sport right before the most profound schedule change in Tour history takes place. At least Phil is doing his thing with his family. I can almost understand that. But Tiger blew off the Tour Championship to rest up for a tour of Asia? After already taking the last month off?

What a load of crap.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

While Tiger and Tits didn't do much to promote the Tour, I kinda see both sides.

It's the beauty of being self-emp-loyed/independent contractor. You work when you choose, you stay home when you choose.

And if I'd banked $50 mil this year, I might be inclined to take a week off here and there, too.

Tiger owes the PGA for his success, and the PGA owes Tiger for the explosion in ratings/interest in the last 10 years, and effect that I'm sure they'll notice even more as kids who grew up idolizing Tiger start becoming adult golf fans.

I'll call it a wash, and let it slide. Once the Ryder/President's Cup and the PGA Championship is over, interest seems to wane anyway, and then they really start competing with CFB/NFL for ratings, anyway.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote: Once the Ryder/President's Cup and the PGA Championship is over, interest seems to wane anyway, and then they really start competing with CFB/NFL for ratings, anyway.
What about all those compelling Skins match ups that happen ??
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:While Tiger and Tits didn't do much to promote the Tour, I kinda see both sides.

It's the beauty of being self-emp-loyed/independent contractor. You work when you choose, you stay home when you choose.

And if I'd banked $50 mil this year, I might be inclined to take a week off here and there, too.

Tiger owes the PGA for his success, and the PGA owes Tiger for the explosion in ratings/interest in the last 10 years, and effect that I'm sure they'll notice even more as kids who grew up idolizing Tiger start becoming adult golf fans.

I'll call it a wash, and let it slide. Once the Ryder/President's Cup and the PGA Championship is over, interest seems to wane anyway, and then they really start competing with CFB/NFL for ratings, anyway.
I agree that Tiger doesn't "owe" in the contractual sense anything more than his required 15 appearances a year. He's a life member of the Tour, an automatic Hall of Famer and the greatest golfer the game has ever seen with the possible exception of some guy named Jack. He's paid his dues and then some. Same goes for Phil minus the whole "greatest ever" thingy.

That being said, it would be damn nice if they could make an effort to show up for the freaking Tour Championship. It's only supposed to be the final showcase event of the year. You know, one last chance to see the best of the best tee it up before we slip into the inanity of the silly season.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown