Riverside County Fire

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Riverside County Fire

Post by Mikey »

This fire is 60 miles from here, but we've had smoke and ashes falling since noon. Never seen so much smoke here, even during the big fires a couple of years ago. Go outside and you can hardly keep from choking.

Four firefighters from Idyllwild were killed when the fire overcame them and their truck.
RIP and God bless all firefighters. If this really was started by an arsonist I hope he literally burns in hell.
Calif. fire started by arsonist kills 4
By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 10 minutes ago

A wind-whipped wildfire started by an arsonist killed four firefighters Thursday and stranded up to 400 people in an RV park when flames burned to the edge of the only road out, officials said.

"Everybody is hunkered down here. They're fighting the fire around us. It's across the street from us," said Charles Van Brunt, a ranger at the station at the entrance to Silent Valley Club, the recreational vehicle park near Palm Springs. The residents were in no immediate danger, he said.

Authorities asked people in the RV park to stay put to leave the roads clear for firefighters. Hundreds of others in the area were forced from their homes.

Fire officials said the fire was deliberately set around 1 a.m. and had blackened 10,000 acres within 12 hours. Fire Chief John Hawkins said the arson "constitutes murder."

It was the deadliest wildfire firefighting disaster in the United States since July 10, 2001, when four firefighters were killed in Washington's Okanogan National Forest. They died after becoming trapped by flames on a dusty dead-end road in a remote canyon.

The Forest Service crew was trying to protect a house as dry desert winds of 25 mph or more blew a wall of flames down on them in the hills northwest of Palm Springs.

"They had left their truck to do structure protection when the fire overran them," said Forest Service spokesman Pat Boss, adding the flames came down so quickly they had no time to retreat to their engine or use protective sheltering.

Three firefighters died at the scene and two were hospitalized in critical condition. One of those two died several hours later. The other had burns over 95 percent of his body, Boss said.

Thursday's deaths brought to 19 the number of California firefighters killed in the line of duty over the past year, according to statistics kept by California Professional Firefighters, a lobbying organization.

One other firefighter in the burned-out fire engine was critically injured, Boss said.

He said the Forest Service pulled all its personnel off the fire after the deaths so they could "gather their thoughts, say their prayers."

Another official believed Thursday's blaze was set just as the winds picked up in order to maximize destruction. Riverside County Sheriff Bob Doyle dispatched homicide detectives to the scene to work with FBI agents during the investigation.

Authorities planned to offer a $100,000 reward in the case.

The fire quickly blackened more than six square miles and destroyed at least three homes. The weather service had issued a "red flag" warning for extreme fire danger because of the high winds and dry conditions.

Thick smoke blanketed the small RV park off Highway 243, where as many as 400 people were stranded, authorities said. TV footage showed some vehicles racing through flames and smoke just before firefighters closed the road.

Van Brunt said people were advised to "watch the news and stay comfy."

The fire started early Thursday, burning in a valley with a few scattered ranch homes. The hamlets of Poppet Ranch and Twin Pines were evacuated along with a juvenile detention center, Twin Pines Boys Ranch.

Evacuations were ordered, and by early morning, about 200 people had fled. The fire destroyed at least three homes, authorities said.

Construction contractor Charlie Miner suffered minor burns when he drove his backhoe through the flames to escape in Twin Pines. "It was so intense I was screaming," Miner said. "Sparks were flying everywhere."

The firefighters who were killed were members of a five-person crew based in the nearby town of Idyllwild, Boss said. Their names were not immediately released.

"I knew probably all of them," he said. "They were very personal friends."

As news of the deaths spread, friends stopped at the Idyllwild ranger station to express their sympathies.

"You guys are our saving grace," said Emily Pearson, as she hugged Boss. "It shouldn't have happened." Pearson said she had lived in the area 35 years, and her family knew all five firefighters.

Officials worried the flames could reach an area of the San Bernardino National Forest where a bark beetle infestation had killed trees that could easily fuel a blaze.

In the valley where the fire was burning, the ground cover is mostly grass and chaparral that burns fast and hot.

"The biggest concern is if it gets over the hills," said Becky Luther, a spokeswoman for the Riverside County Fire Department. "That's where all of the homes are."

Timo Hargu, 61, said he rushed from his hilltop home with his two dogs after he looked out a window and saw fire burning toward him in a valley.

"The whole thing was ablaze with flame," he said. "It was the most spectacular view. A terrible view, but spectacular."
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I hear those fires can travel 60 miles just in the time it takes to go to sleep tonight and wake up the next morning.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Roach wrote:Hope your pad is ok Mikey!

Got hoses to spray your roof from that nice pool?

Let us know the outcome.... hope it's far enough from you.
I've got a 7 HP pump that will give me about 2 hours of high pressure spray from the 36,000 gal pool.
Problem is I don't have the hoses for it yet.
:oops:

One of these days I'll find the time go go out and find the hoses and fittings.
Strangely enough they are harder to find than the pump.
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Ken, I'm not a fire prevention expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Mikey is not going to get woken up by this fire. I'm not even going to get woken up by this fire, and I'm a lot closer than he is (although we're getting a shitload of smoke blown into Rivertucky).

Mikey, I agree totally, thoughts and prayers for the guys and their families. Never mind hell, the firebug's life before he gets there's not going to be any prize either. What a shithead.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Rich Fader wrote:Ken, I'm not a fire prevention expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Mikey is not going to get woken up by this fire. I'm not even going to get woken up by this fire, and I'm a lot closer than he is (although we're getting a shitload of smoke blown into Rivertucky).
Try to play along here, rich. Let's try again.

Hey, Mikey. I hear those fires out there can travel upwards of 60 miles just in the time it takes for you to go to bed tonight and wake up tomorrow morning. Sleep tight.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

One of these days I'll find the time go go out and find the hoses and fittings.
I think the over / under is on the day after your house burns down.

That's where the smart money is, anyway.

I'm missing the whole thing too, as I'm on the road up north.

Ken - how long will it take the fire to get to say, Bakersfield?

You should assume it won't use the 5 north, as that road is hellish on a friday getaway.

I'll stay awake until you let me know.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mister Bushice wrote: Ken - how long will it take the fire to get to say, Bakersfield?

You should assume it won't use the 5 north, as that road is hellish on a friday getaway.

I'll stay awake until you let me know.
I think the arsonist lives in Bakersfield.
Sleep tight.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

I'm good. My bladder is full, and I can spit a good distance.

although 25 mph flames would just result in me pissing my pants.

The fire down there is near a juve detention camp. Coinky dink?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Ken wrote:
Rich Fader wrote:Ken, I'm not a fire prevention expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Mikey is not going to get woken up by this fire. I'm not even going to get woken up by this fire, and I'm a lot closer than he is (although we're getting a shitload of smoke blown into Rivertucky).
Try to play along here, rich. Let's try again.

Hey, Mikey. I hear those fires out there can travel upwards of 60 miles just in the time it takes for you to go to bed tonight and wake up tomorrow morning. Sleep tight.
If you live in Da Burgh and have no clue about the terrain and climate, I guess it's funny. If you live in SoCal and you know the area, it's just silly. Sorry.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yeah, gonna rain here some tomorrow. Guess I ain't so bummed out about it, though.

Heard about a bunch of trailer park trash that are stuck. Couldn't evacuate if they wanted to. The road out is currently on fire. Sux to be them.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:Yeah, gonna rain here some tomorrow. Guess I ain't so bummed out about it, though.

Heard about a bunch of trailer park trash that are stuck. Couldn't evacuate if they wanted to. The road out is currently on fire. Sux to be them.
That would be campground trash.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Here come those Santa Ana winds again.

Gas Chamber for the guy that set this fire?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Gas Chamber for the guy that set this fire?
Here in Kalifornia we don't like the chamber, along with the needle it's just to inhumane for the Dead Man walking.
We have high standards for the soon to be dead peeps.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

scary shit--
I was working on a USFS surverying crew in the Cascade Mountains NE of Seattle in 1959. We got called in to fight a fire there. Trees all ablaze--the wind blowing and planes dropping borate slurry on the fire and on you--sleeping in paper sleeping bags--dirty/filthy work. I had to throw out the clothes I wore.
Quite an experience--I can feel for those guys if the
blaze came back at them--not much you can do but
cover yourself with the little silver plastic blanket
they give you--take a huge gulp of air--hold your
breath and pray !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
The phantorino
Elwood

Post by The phantorino »

Has NOONE Racked the Fuck out of Heroic firefighters, yet?

Now that's a job I would be honoured to be asked to do, and shit-scared every fucking second doing it.
Luther Wrote:
a butt load of people who sit in those small cubicles pretending to work while submitting a "take."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

so what's stopping ya, phanto?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

A friend in college worked out west every summer
for the USFS on "Supression Crews" i.e. fighting
forest fires--- made $$ for college -- you get paid
regular pay plus "hazardous duty" per diem pay.
also they feed you.etc. when you are on the fire line.
It's like martial law when that happens. Town folk
all work--loggers--the women do the cooking etc.
I knew a couple guys who were SmokeJumpers out
of Missoula Montana--those guys were really nuts !!
Having fought a forest fire--I can relate.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
The phantorino
Elwood

Post by The phantorino »

smackaholic wrote:so what's stopping ya, phanto?
age, guts, time, fitness. in fact the same things that are stopping me having sex. You?
Luther Wrote:
a butt load of people who sit in those small cubicles pretending to work while submitting a "take."