Latest polls: Hitler was right

The best of the best
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Latest polls: Hitler was right

Post by Truman »

…Read a terrific book this past summer. “D-Day June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II”, a New York Times #1 Bestseller by Stephen E. Ambrose.

Per Ambrose’s account, Hitler suggested to his General Staff that Western Democracies – specifically, the United States - would not have the “belly” to pursue a prolonged war of attrition against Germany.

Hitler guessed wrong.

I suggest that he was simply 65 years too early with his prediction.

---------------

The latest polls declare that over 60% of the American people are dissatisfied with the War in Iraq.

Conservatives advocate that we fight the Terrorists on their turf – as opposed to ours - and continue to support the fledgling Iraqi democracy until they are proven to be self-sufficient.

Liberals suggest that Iraq is a lost cause and that we cut and run… er, ”withdraw” :meds: from the theater immediately.

Does the United States have the “belly” to pursue a prolonged war of attrition in Iraq?

Or was Hitler right?

I have my thoughts - and will I share them later in this thread.

But I am more interested in yours....
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Re: Latest polls: Hitler was right

Post by Degenerate »

[quote="Truman"
Liberals suggest that Iraq is a lost cause and that we cut and run… er, ”withdraw” :meds: from the theater immediately.[/quote]

Senator John Warner's a liberal, huh? That's news to him. Probably to James Baker, too.

Love the perpetual chest-thumping from the never-been-there's, though.

The Republican power structure simply will not allow Iraq to be a burden on their presidential candidate in two years. So get used to your boyz cutting and running, oh, say right around the end of next year. Go ahead and work up your blame-the-media-for-losing-Iraq TP's post haste.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Ah. Verruh Mangino of you, Degenerate.

A bad offensive game plan... And a defense that folds under pressure.

Sorry, pal, but you're gonna hafta string together at least six good posts to become bowl eligible. Might wanna start by stayin' on topic and answering the fuckin' question. You gotta a better plan? Then let's hear it.

Fuckin' ChickenHawk
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Simply put, Germany and Japan were not abstractions or metaphors. It's a bit difficult to rally a population when everyone is sitting home, farting about playing video games - quaking over non-events, association fallacies and glittering generalities - rather than actually know that an actual Wehrmacht was ripping through Europe, Africa and Russia.

It's an old colonial dilemma, withdraw or go farther in
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Simply put, Germany and Japan were not abstractions or metaphors. It's a bit difficult to rally a population when everyone is sitting home, farting about playing video games - quaking over non-events, association fallacies and glittering generalities - rather than actually know that an actual Wehrmacht was ripping through Europe, Africa and Russia.

It's an old colonial dilemma, withdraw or go farther in

I agree with most of what you posted, Phibes, but did I read your summation correctly? You view America's presence in Iraq as Colonialism, as opposed to Liberation? Please expand...
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I agree with Truman's agreement with Phibes' take ..... minus the 'colonialism' part.

American might have the belly to fight if most Americans believed it was truly necessary, urgent, and our nation's security and future was at stake.

Iraq is not generally regarded that way.

Most American's think we could do without it.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Iraq isn't Nazi Germany.

Next?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

BSmack wrote:Iraq isn't Nazi Germany.

Next?
And Iran isn't Poland. Oh yeah, and Iraq isn't trying to blitzkreig them either.

Truman, analogies only work if there's at least some kind of similarity between the two situations. Or possibly if you're an ignorant moron.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dr_Phibes wrote:...sitting home, farting about playing video games ...
:x

Listen pal, you fight the revolution your way, and I'll fight it mine.

^^^^^^^
Marty walks sullenly through the ruins of post-apocalyptic BSmack-topia, looking for zombies and Diogenes...
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Next?
...And George Soros ain't Joe Stalin, but many believe that he poses just as big a threat to America's well-being as the terror war in Iraq. You got anything of value to add to this thread, B, or are you simply content with posting non-sequiters?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

The American enemy is smart enough to know it can't have success attacking from outside so they've sought to attack from inside.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Mikey wrote:
And Iran isn't Poland. Oh yeah, and Iraq isn't trying to blitzkreig them either.

Truman, analogies only work if there's at least some kind of similarity between the two situations. Or possibly if you're an ignorant moron.
I really don't believe that you're an "ignorant moron", Mikey, so lemme help connect the dots for you: The "similarity between the two situations" is that we are at war. One was fought to victorious conclusion; the other is currently being fought with a similar goal in mind. Only an "ignorant moron" fails to recognize the analogy.

Look, Mikey, Hitler invaded Soviet Russia for three reasons, two of which have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion (Lebensraum; and the fact that he wanted to get Uncle Joe before Uncle Joe got him). The third reason was that Hitler mistakenly believed that free and open societies - along with their free press - essentially wouldn't have the sack to sacrifice their youth to defeat his Reich.

Which brings me to my point. We are a society driven by pictures. Media-produced pictures. Can you imagine the outcry of the American people had CNN been around back in 1944 to bring us footage of the 33,000 American dead and wounded during the Battle of Hurtgen Forest (the Ardennes) or the 26,000 casualties suffered by our Marines at Iwo Jima? We lose almost as many men on a beach in Normandy in a single day as we have in three years of fighting in Iraq, yet the New York Times and the Washington Post would have you believing that we are having our asses handed to us on a plate!

Guess ol' Adolf was right after all. Apparently, many in this country do not have the determination to complete the mission and defeat terrorism where it breeds. We do not have the belly for war.
Gunslinger
Sir Slappy Tits

Post by Gunslinger »

Truman wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I really don't believe that you're an "ignorant moron", Mikey, so lemme help connect the dots for you: The "similarity between the two situations" is that we are at war. One was fought to victorious conclusion; the other is currently being fought with a similar goal in mind. Only an "ignorant moron" fails to recognize the analogy.

Look, Mikey, Hitler invaded Soviet Russia for three reasons, two of which have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion (Lebensraum; and the fact that he wanted to get Uncle Joe before Uncle Joe got him). The third reason was that Hitler mistakenly believed that free and open societies - along with their free press - essentially wouldn't have the sack to sacrifice their youth to defeat his Reich.

Which brings me to my point. We are a society driven by pictures. Media-produced pictures. Can you imagine the outcry of the American people had CNN been around back in 1944 to bring us footage of the 33,000 American dead and wounded during the Battle of Hurtgen Forest (the Ardennes) or the 26,000 casualties suffered by our Marines at Iwo Jima? We lose almost as many men on a beach in Normandy in a single day as we have in three years of fighting in Iraq, yet the New York Times and the Washington Post would have you believing that we are having our asses handed to us on a plate!

Guess ol' Adolf was right after all. Apparently, many in this country do not have the determination to complete the mission and defeat terrorism where it breeds. We do not have the belly for war.
Good, I'm glad the American people dont have the belly for wars started for shitty reasons. And stop fucking quoting Hitler you traitorous fuck!! That bitch lost his war and killed himself, because he realized he was a failure.

You quote Hitler and you support spending our tax dollars and citizens lives on a country that has absolutely nothing to do with us. Could I just get it over with and line your toilet w/ the American Flag, so you can defile our nation comfortably in your own home?
I fucking suck.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Truman wrote:

Next?
...And George Soros ain't Joe Stalin, but many believe that he poses just as big a threat to America's well-being as the terror war in Iraq. You got anything of value to add to this thread, B, or are you simply content with posting non-sequiters?
Here's a nice rule of thumb. If you start a thread with rhetoric implying that "Hitler thinks you're a pussy", then you have pretty much forfeited your right to complain about non-sequiters. There's a damn big difference between the level of threat posed by Nazi Germany and the non-existent threat posed by a well-contained Saddam. If you can't acknowledge that, we can't have a very intelligent conversation. In fact, I would say that if you can't see that simple truth, you have no business commenting on US foreign policy ever.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

mvscal wrote:
Truman wrote:The latest polls declare that over 60% of the American people are dissatisfied with the War in Iraq.
So what?
The statistic I saw was 73%- on one of the sunday morning pre NFL pre-game shows.

And the great majority of those were actually dissatisfied because we weren't doing enough to kill muzzies, not that we're doing too much
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

in WWI , germans subs sank 170 plus ships along the US coastline. IN WWII His subs were probing the continent and being refueled in mid ocean, and they began sinking commercial shipping in 1940.

the Us stayed out of WWII for as long as they could, but hitler was still moving forward, and the japs attack made it a no brainer.

Certainly hitler was becoming a continental threat to the US, but iraq has never come anywhere close to the same threat level. AL queda maybe, but not iraq.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote:
He collaborated with AQ in the first WTC attack. The reason Clinton bombed that chemical factory in Sudan was because AQ and Iraq were working together on chemical weapons research.
see, there's all the proof you need.......

of course, that presumes you can link us up with proof of these collaborations.......

after posting it here, you may want to send a copy of those links to the WH, they've been looking for them.........
get out, get out while there's still time
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote: Ramzi Yousef traveled on an Iraqi passport based on a false identity created by Iraqi intelligence. He is also the nephew of Khalid Sheik Mohhamed, the man who planned the 9/11 operation.

Abdul Rahman Yasin is/was an Iraqi agent and fled to Baghdad immediately after the bombing. He was actually interviewed there in the late 90s.

http://www.fas.org/irp/world/iraq/956-tni.htm
How did I know your were going to link to a Laurie Mylroie article?

What other areas of interest do you have? UFO's?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote: Surely he learned his lesson and was just about to turn over a new leaf and dedicate his life to improving conditions for his people when those mean people in the Bush Administration came along made up a bunch lies about poor little Saddam Hussein.
Whoah.

You misunderstand me. Now, don't confuse me for some peace-grovelling dumbfuck, I actually want you guys to stay in Iraq, for a looooooong time.

Same goes for your midterm elections. The sooner your so-called republic collapses under the weight of it's own bureaucracy, the better. Go GOP!
Why don’t you just STFU.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

BSmack wrote:Here's a nice rule of thumb. If you start a thread with rhetoric implying that "Hitler thinks you're a pussy", then you have pretty much forfeited your right to complain about non-sequiters..
Oh, please.

Complain? Pshaw. Don’t be an ass, Brian. I simply stated the obvious. Hell, B, you’d argue the virtues of insulating with asbestos and the nutritional value of lead paint chips if you thought it had a prayer (whoopsi! Liberals don’t pray)…er, chance of advancing your cause.

“Hitler thinks you’re a pussy?” Well, now, Bri, if the shoe fits… Musta missed the thread where you and every other lefty on this Board advocated finishing the job in Iraq. Sorry, Pal, but despite the spin of CBS, the Times, and the Democrat National Committee, anything less is pussy. And that makes Hitler’s premise dead-on.
BSmack wrote:There's a damn big difference between the level of threat posed by Nazi Germany and the non-existent threat posed by a well-contained Saddam.
…And here I thought that it was a coupla American Airlines wide-bodies hijacked by Saddam-friendly al-Quaida terrorists that slammed into the Twin Towers, ‘stead of a pair of Ju-188’s piloted by German commandos. Go ahead, B: Name a German attack on US soil that posed a greater threat than al-Quaida. I’ll be finishing “War and Peace” while awaiting your response.
BSmack wrote:If you can't acknowledge that, we can't have a very intelligent conversation. In fact, I would say that if you can't see that simple truth, you have no business commenting on US foreign policy ever.
Good point. Intelligent discourse would clearly mark you as an over-achiever, B. But despite your struggles, rest easy: I most certainly acknowledge the difference “between the level of threat posed by Nazi Germany and the non-existent threat posed by a well-contained (Multiple-UN-sanctions-violating) Saddam.” BTW, Saddam-allied terrorists attacked our homeland; Germany never did.

While it is a given that “simple” and “truth” are proven oxymoron’s in Liberal parlance, “I would say that if you can't see that simple truth, you have no business commenting on US foreign policy ever.”

EAD, B: You and every other Cut’n Run Democrat on this Board are cowards.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Truman wrote:...(whoopsi! Liberals don’t pray)…

...but despite the spin of CBS...

...Saddam-friendly al-Quaida terrorists ...

...Saddam-allied terrorists attacked our homeland; Germany never did.

...“simple” and “truth” are proven oxymoron’s in Liberal parlance...

...You and every other Cut’n Run Democrat on this Board are cowards.

Turn off the AM radio, bro.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote:Yes, of course. Saddam was a gentle, peace loving soul who would never dream of using his only available means of striking at the people who kicked his ass and put him in a box.

Surely he learned his lesson and was just about to turn over a new leaf and dedicate his life to improving conditions for his people when those mean people in the Bush Administration came along made up a bunch lies about poor little Saddam Hussein.
what is it with you people........simply because someone opposes the war in Iraq doesn't make them sympathetic to Saddam Hussein.....

nice try douchebag, but that shit is played.......
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote: [
Sure could have fooled me. Any honest observer will have noticed a most curious attempt to rehabilitate Saddam's reputation over the last three years.
really.........who's been trying to rehabilitate Hussein's reputation........be specific on who these people are and provide the links.........

and none of these obscure websites you're so fond of......
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Truman wrote:Oh, please. C omplain? Pshaw. Don’t be an ass, Brian. I simply stated the obvious. Hell, B, you’d argue the virtues of insulating with asbestos and the nutritional value of lead paint chips if you thought it had a prayer (whoopsi! Liberals don’t pray)…er, chance of advancing your cause.

“Hitler thinks you’re a pussy?” Well, now, Bri, if the shoe fits… Musta missed the thread where you and every other lefty on this Board advocated finishing the job in Iraq. Sorry, Pal, but despite the spin of CBS, the Times, and the Democrat National Committee, anything less is pussy. And that makes Hitler’s premise dead-on.
Near as I can tell, the "job" is done. Saddam is gone, the WMDs were never there and Osama is hiding out in a cave in Pakistan.

As for the insurgents, their weapons are not being produced in country. We should either find and destroy whomever is arming them, or get the fuck out. Anything else is condeming our troops to be human targets.
…And here I thought that it was a coupla American Airlines wide-bodies hijacked by Saddam-friendly al-Quaida terrorists that slammed into the Twin Towers, ‘stead of a pair of Ju-188’s piloted by German commandos. Go ahead, B: Name a German attack on US soil that posed a greater threat than al-Quaida. I’ll be finishing “War and Peace” while awaiting your response.
Did they not teach the Tripartite Pact in Kansas City schools? Or are you just being deliberately retarded/obtuse?
BTW, Saddam-allied terrorists attacked our homeland; Germany never did.
BTW: You're a fucking moron if you think bin Laden was allied with Saddam. But then again, you think Saddam=Hiter on the old "Threat to America" scale, so what the fuck should we expect?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:Never? It's really neither here nor there. This was never supposed to be a guessing game. He was obligated to declare, inventory and destroy all of his programs and stockpiles under our direct supervision not later than December 1992. That very clearly did not happen and that alone provided casus belli under existing resolutions.
I'm not one of those arguing that the war was illegal. Legalities in war are like wardrobes in porn. They're just there to dress up the real action.

I'm only arguing that the war was conducted stupidly and without regard for its aftermath.
That would be Iran and Syria. I do agree that we have done a piss poor job interdicting the border regions. That should be our primary mission while Iraqis settle their own internal affairs.
It should be the primary mission. But if it cannot (for whatever reason) be the primary mission, then we are simply allowing our troops to be sitting ducks and should get out and redeploy in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Afgahnistan.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote: . I do agree that we have done a piss poor job interdicting the border regions. That should be our primary mission ...

You carry Israel's water like a real pro. Maybe if they're nice, they'll spy on your government a little less next year.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote:People don't seem to understand the logistics involved in supporting heavy divisions.
Yeah, greasing KBR with no-bid contracts for work that the Army's former service units have abandoned must be brutal.

Poor Haliburton. Poor KBR. I hope they don't pull a groin muscle carrying all that money to their Bahamian and Swiss banks.

:meds:
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote:
Martyred wrote:...work that the Army's former service units have abandoned must be brutal.
You mean running chow halls?
You'll agree that it falls in the category of "logistics".
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Laundry...food...base maintenance...etc...etc...
It's all part of Rumsfeld's "Rapid Reaction Force", remember?

But hey, why are two grizzled, old vets like us argueing? Just because we earned our "battle honours" in different
campaigns, doesn't mean we can't see eye to eye on some things, right?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote: What he is looking for is something of a 'medium' weight unit that falls between our light infantry divisions and mech infantry/armored divisions.
Oh I get it. That includes under-armoured humvees, right.

What a strategist. Rack him.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Truman wrote:Saddam-friendly al-Quaida terrorists
Truman wrote:Saddam-allied terrorists attacked our homeland
I could spend the rest of my life posting :meds: and I still couldn't possibly come up with enough to respond adequately to this.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote:No, you don't. Hummers aren't APCs and never were intended to be APCs. They're trucks.
Tell that to the troops in Iraq welding plate steel to their "trucks".

War On Terror...on the cheap.

But hey, as long as you get your tax cut...and after all, it is an all voluteer army, correct?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

mvscal wrote: BTW, what do you think I drove in Desert Storm?

What do I win?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Martyred wrote: It's all part of Rumsfeld's "Rapid Reaction Force", remember?
Now don't knock it - the concept is very Bukharin-esque. Loads of endgame without the benefit of a roadmap.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

BSmack wrote:Near as I can tell, the "job" is done. Saddam is gone, the WMDs were never there and Osama is hiding out in a cave in Pakistan.
Mission Accomplished
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

where's your aircraft carrier?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Mister Bushice wrote:where's your aircraft carrier?
Is that a sly, rhetorical swipe like "Who's your daddy"?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

BSmack wrote:
Near as I can tell, the "job" is done. Saddam is gone, the WMDs were never there and Osama is hiding out in a cave in Pakistan.
Right. Guess you forgot the part where America rebuilds infrastructure, establishes stable, freely-elected government, and protects the interests of its vanquished foes. ‘Course, all of that fails to meet the criteria of your vapid assertions. Chew on that the next time you tune in NPR on your Japanese built stereo in your German-built VW.
As for the insurgents, their weapons are not being produced in country.
…And the Terrorists ain’t exactly manufacturing their weapons locally either, B. Funny how your pals at CNN have managed to overlook this story.
We should either find and destroy whomever is arming them, or get the fuck out. Anything else is condeming our troops to be human targets.
So you’re advocating that we attack Jihadist Iran? Nicely done, B. Welcome to the Side of Reason.
BSmack wrote:
Truman wrote:…And here I thought that it was a coupla American Airlines wide-bodies hijacked by Saddam-friendly al-Quaida terrorists that slammed into the Twin Towers, ‘stead of a pair of Ju-188’s piloted by German commandos. Go ahead, B: Name a German attack on US soil that posed a greater threat than al-Quaida. I’ll be finishing “War and Peace” while awaiting your response.
Did they not teach the Tripartite Pact in Kansas City schools? Or are you just being deliberately retarded/obtuse?
Oh, I dunno, B.

The German/Italian/Japanese confederation was simply described as the “Triple Axis” or “Axis Powers” here in fly-over country. That said, B, I’m still waiting on that named German attack on US soil.

Are you being deliberately ignorant?

Oh, I DO see you workin’, Brian: Guess ol’ Senator Blutarsky was correct when he asserted that it wasn’t over “when the German’s bombed Pearl Harbor.” But despite your reach, those were Slant Aichi D3A’s with Rising Suns painted on their tails dropping bombs and torpedoes at Pearl Harbor… Not Kraut Stukas with Iron Crosses. And you assert that the Saddam-al Quaida alliance is a stretch?!

BSmack wrote:
Truman wrote:BTW, Saddam-allied terrorists attacked our homeland; Germany never did.
BTW: You're a fucking moron if you think bin Laden was allied with Saddam. But then again, you think Saddam=Hiter on the old "Threat to America" scale, so what the fuck should we expect?
Ever tire of waking up wrong, Brian?
But then again, you think Saddam=Hiter on the old "Threat to America" scale, so what the fuck should we expect?
Saddam=Hiter? Fuzzy math, Bri. Naw, War=War, a concept that is apparently beyond your scope of comprehension.

BTW: Thanks for the sig line.

Other than the Illinois Nazis – and I hate Illinois Nazis – Hitler has been pretty-much outta business for the past 60 years.

As for “what the fuck” we should expect…

Why, intelligent discourse, B!

But once again, you leave us sorely disappointed….
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Truman wrote:…Read a terrific book this past summer. “D-Day June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II”, a New York Times #1 Bestseller by Stephen E. Ambrose.

Per Ambrose’s account, Hitler suggested to his General Staff that Western Democracies – specifically, the United States - would not have the “belly” to pursue a prolonged war of attrition against Germany.

Hitler guessed wrong.

I suggest that he was simply 65 years too early with his prediction.
The analogy of the current war to WWII is both correct and incorrect.

The correct part about it is we're fighting a ruthless enemy, far more ruthless than the Nazis in some ways. We -- as in The West -- are also fighting on a worldwide scale against the Islamofascists.

The incorrect part, obviously, is that we're not fighting against a nation state. Hell, we can't even figure out who we're fighting, since the enemy blends into the native population so well, and in some cases is supported on the local level, by it.

That's not to say we are confused about who we're supposed to be fighting, either.

Saddam was never a direct threat to this country, at least not any more so than Hamas, Hezbollah, the Syrian regime nor the Saudis or Pakistanis who continue to allow schools of hate to flourish in their countries.

Saddam was a symptom, not the cure, obviously.

Truman, I've posted this before and I'll post it again -- the real reason we went into Iraq was to try to establish a rational, civilized, if not Western-leaning state, in Iraq -- smack dab in the middle of the Middle East.

I had my doubts, as I posted when we (the U.S.) first went in, about the chances of any sort of "democracy" in an Arab country, since they have absolutely ZERO history of it.

But I gave Bush the benefit of the doubt, and I was still optimistic, especially seeing the pictures of the statue coming down.

The weeks and months that followed however ... what a wasted opportunity.

First we enacted a dismantling of any and ALL "Bathists," in Iraq, even though "Bathists" included teachers, civil service workers, street cleaners and a pleathora of others -- the vast majority of whom were "Bathists" because they would be paid more money under Saddam than doing the same job as a nonmember of the party.

Maybe mvscal can correct me here, but ...

Did we do the same in Nazi Germany? From everything I've read, we didn't completely de-Nazify everything in Germany, to the point that teachers couldn't teach and civil servants couldn't do their jobs in order to keep basic services up, once we got them up and running. And I don't remember suicide bombs killing dozens of troops a week, three fucking years after we had taken over.

Secondly, we fucked up, Big-Time, by disbandoning the Iraqi military.

All that being said, we're there to stay.

What needs to happen now is the prime minister there has some hard decisions to make, like firing the health minister there who won't release funds for Sunni hospitals. Or the Shia minister who won't provide electricity to Sunni neighborhoods.

The time has come to start carrying a big stick when it comes to the ideals of Democracy and power-sharing in Iraq.

Short of breaking up the country (which carries it's own set of major potential pitfalls), that's our next step in the main front in the war. We do NOT have a choice now.

As a side note, Truman, I haven't read the book you mentioned, but I'd like to, right after "Fiasco," by Thomas Ricks. :lol:

I don't know the context of the book you mentioned, but what's disturbing to me is all of the nutjobs on the religious Right in this country ('sup poptart), who are so anxious for Armageddon, so anxious to be "sweep up by Jesus, in the Rapture," they can almost taste it.

Last edited by RadioFan on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Truman wrote:
BSmack wrote:
Right. Guess you forgot the part where America rebuilds infrastructure, establishes stable, freely-elected government, and protects the interests of its vanquished foes.
Actually Iraq is worse off than it was when we invaded, infrastructure wise, the government is not stable, and I don't get why you think we should protect the interest of saddams former regime.
As for the insurgents, their weapons are not being produced in country.
…And the Terrorists ain’t exactly manufacturing their weapons locally either, B.
Terrorists are not the primary problem over there anymore. It's the sectarian reprisals causing most of the bloodshed. American troops have become convenient targets of hate for both sides, though.
War=War, a concept that is apparently beyond your scope of comprehension.
There is no comparison between WWII and Iraq. We entered WWII to stop an existing threat that was increasing in power and expanding its territory. We entered iraq against a tinpot dictator who was doing saber rattling not sword fighting, and who was significantly restricted by sanctions and inspections. Saddam was doing far more with his mouth than with his might, and we were not in danger of attack by him. Hitler was moving towards total european dominance, his u-boats were disrupting atlantic shipping, and some U boats were spotted off the US coastline (including one that was sunk off the coast of southern Maine). It was only a matter of time before he extended the war in that direction more.

If you think we're fighting the global war on terror in iraq, you're just another clueless bush administration supporting bobblehead.