I could do without Steve Lyons

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Trampis
Eternal Scobode

I could do without Steve Lyons

Post by Trampis »

He seems like a decent cat but I dont like him doing color for my baseball playoff pleasure. And Pinella,I loved the guy as My Mariner manager,but if hes not going to throw basepaths around the booth and scream down Lyons then I just as soon he stay at his luxury pad In Tampa.

I kinda like listening to Joe Morgan and John Millar on the radio broadcast,however. In fact,bring back that opinionated little troll Bob Costas.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Isn't this FOX's last year of playoff coverage? I thought I heard it was...someone confirm or deny that please.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Could Tim McCarver suck worse? He's the only idgit I've ever heard call Pujols "Luis Pujols".

FOX is teh suck hardcore.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: I could do without Steve Lyons

Post by Dinsdale »

Trampis wrote:In fact,bring back that opinionated little troll Bob Costas.

I'll do what I can to help you out...

Now, the Great Albert Pujols comes to the plate. This is as important an at-bat as any in the history of the game. As a matter of fact, this at-bat is reminiscent of the 1927 World Series Game 3, when the Great Babe Ruth led the Yankees. It was the 6th inning, and the count was 2-2. On the first pitch, the Pirates George Pipgras threw a fastball inside for a strike. The second pitch, a breaking ball, was low. The third pitch was a slider, called for a strike on the inside corner. The fourth was a fastball, down and away. On this, the fifth pitch, he knew he must throw a strike to the Great Babe Ruth, of the Great 1927 Yankees...the Greatest Team Ever...because he knew the Great Lou Gehrig was to bat next.

Now Trampis...every time you miss Costas, just read that paragraph twelve times, and it's just like being in the booth with Costas.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Tinker to Evers to Chance
Crack Whore

Post by Tinker to Evers to Chance »

I can't think of one FOX or ESPN announcer that I can stand.

Get Vin Scully back on my TV.
Bizzarofelice wrote:
Goddamned Cubsfan.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Tinker to Evers to Chance wrote:Get Vin Scully back on my TV.
Dodger fan has no idea how lucky they are to have him, and him only in the booth. Caught MANY Dodger games this season just to hear Scully call the game.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

josh lewin is by far the worst play by play guy in the biz. dude dropped a freebase cocaine reference during a cubs game this year. he said how cool juan pierre was for having jay-z drop his name in one of his songs, and the line was "i used to run base like juan piere." lewin had no fucking clue what he was talking about, and you'd have to be some sorts of an iodot to knowingly drop a blatant drug reference during a broadcast. what a fucking idiot.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Lewin is persona non grada in the D since he left to go to Texas. He tries too hard to try to throw in a current pop culture reference. He thought was pretty cute with his Dodgeball comparison between the Tigers and Yankees...calling them Average Joes and Globo Gym.

War Ernie Harwell
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

DETROIT (AP) -- Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.

The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday's comments. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.

"Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate," network spokesman Dan Bell said.

Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella.

A call to Lyons' cell phone was not immediately returned Saturday.

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.

Piniella, approached before Saturday's Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: "No, he's not here today."

This was not a first-time offense for Lyons, nicknamed "Psycho" during his nine-year big league career as a utilityman that ended in 1993 with the Boston Red Sox.

Hired when Fox began broadcasting baseball in 1996, Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.

The network apologized for Lyons' remarks at the time.

Lyons, 46, was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBIs for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal. He was a first-round draft pick by the Red Sox, 19th overall, in 1981.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Lyons earned the title "Dumbass of the week"
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.
Oh, sweet irony.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

AAAAAHHHHHHH! YEEEAAAA! I practicly called my shot and you MLB board dwellers know it! Trampis has massive scoreboard!

The powers of Nostrodomus and Crescan linger in my massive dome,either that or FOX reads this message board.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Re: I could do without Steve Lyons

Post by OCmike »

Trampis wrote:He seems like a decent cat but I dont like him doing color for my baseball playoff pleasure. And Pinella,I loved the guy as My Mariner manager,but if hes not going to throw basepaths around the booth and scream down Lyons then I just as soon he stay at his luxury pad In Tampa.

I kinda like listening to Joe Morgan and John Millar on the radio broadcast,however. In fact,bring back that opinionated little troll Bob Costas.
Rack Joe Morgan and John Miller. One of the few bright spots about being a Giants fan is getting to listen to Miller do the broadcasts. Just a solid, solid guy.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

PrimeX wrote:
Tinker to Evers to Chance wrote:Get Vin Scully back on my TV.
Dodger fan has no idea how lucky they are to have him, and him only in the booth. Caught MANY Dodger games this season just to hear Scully call the game.

RACK, RACK, RACK

Vin is a God. Period.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Fox overreacted with what Lyons said...the PC police strike again. I didn't see what was insensitive with what he said...he just made poor attempts at being funny.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Shoalzie wrote:Fox overreacted with what Lyons said...the PC police strike again. I didn't see what was insensitive with what he said...he just made poor attempts at being funny.
I'm glad to see steve out of the booth but I gotta agree with what you say.FOX must have been iching to fire him over anything.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Trampis wrote:FOX must have been iching to fire him over anything.
Agreed. FOX hasn't exactly been the benchmark for integrity when it comes to the programming they choose to air (not that i have a problem with that - see Family Guy).
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Shoalzie wrote:Fox overreacted with what Lyons said...the PC police strike again.
:meds:

Yeah, the FOX network, of all organizations, really cares about the PC police?

All they did was cut bait on a worthless announcer whose entire career was based on pulling down his pants on the field of play. He won't be missed.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

RACK, and besides, is there a stereotype that Mexicans are pickpockets? Never heard that one before. Seems to me that Lyons was just being an idiot and saying that (Yuk, yuk, yuk!) he has to watch his wallet around Piniella. Just mindless booth banter.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

OCmike wrote:RACK, and besides, is there a stereotype that Mexicans are pickpockets? Never heard that one before. Seems to me that Lyons was just being an idiot and saying that (Yuk, yuk, yuk!) he has to watch his wallet around Piniella. Just mindless booth banter.

What brought on the whole wallet thing was Piniella was making some comparison to the luck of the Tigers or the A's when he said something to extent of "you can find a wallet on Friday but there's no guarantee you'll find one on Saturday and Sunday". Lyons was sort of referencing to that with the "hide my wallet" line. I can't imagine what he said was a crack at Latinos stealing his wallet.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Olbermann was on the Dan PAtrick show and he said Lyons loved making slightly racist comments.

Then again, I don't know if this is truth or Olbermann trying to appease his new left wing fanbase.
why is my neighborhood on fire
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Pinella is hispanic? I pegged him for Italian.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Spanish Heritage I believe
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He is from Tampa...it would make sense that he's got some hispanic blood in him.