Shellfish skewers

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Shellfish skewers

Post by Mikey »

Fixed these last night because I had gotten some nice sea scallops at Costco.

Take about an equal number of large sea scallops and large, shelled shrimp and marinate for an hour or so in a mixture of EVOO, lemon juice, minced garlic and a little salt.

While the shellfish is marinating cut up some onions into thin (one layer) 1 x 1 inch pieces, wash some mushrooms and cut off the stems so they fit nicely on the skewers, and take some bacon and cut into 1 x 1 inch pieces.

Take all the ingredients and put on skewers in any order you want. I did scallop, bacon, onion, shrimp, bacon, mushroom, and repeat. Put them in a baking dish and pour the remaining marinade over the whole thing until you're ready to cook. Heat up the grill and grill until both sides are browned, and the scallops are no longer translucent. Do not overcook or the scallops and shrimp will be dry and tough.

Serve with rice and salad or other veggie.

My kids thought I was a genius for this one.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I always recommend partially cooking the bacon befor wrapping seafood on skewers. Seafood cooks faster, so pre-cooking the bacon helps to attain crispy bacon without overcooking delicate shellfish such as scallops and Shrimp. Both of which are much better when not overdone and made to be rubbery.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

That's a good idea, because the bacon comes out kind of undercooked, especially if it's not very lean. Might try microwaving it for a few minutes first next time.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

A local thing...

http://www.spiedies.com/what.htm

Good eats!
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?