Arnie gets burned

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Arnie gets burned

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm assuming this was a couplefew months ago, but the local radio hacks were talking about a story that gave me a chuckle.

So, this past July, the Curtis Cup was held at Bandon Dunes(whoop-de-doo). Apparently, beforehand, Arnold Freaking Palmer shows up out of the blue, unannounced, shortly before the tourney. Said something about wanting to come support the lady ams, and said had heard nothing but world-class reviews of Bandon, but had yet to go there. So, he decides to take a little roadie. Apparently, after taking a good look around, Arnie says something to the effect of "this course is amazing. I'm going to have to play a round, since I'm here."

And clubhouse dude gives him the long look, as Arnie waits for a response.

"Yes sir, Mr. Palmer. That'll be $250."

Arnie pulls out the plastic without blinking an eye, and enjoys his round. Afterwards, he reportedly said "you know, that's the first round opf golf I've paid for since I was 17 years old."

So, if YOU owned/ran a really fancy course, would you actually charge Arnie to play there?

I don't think it's a money issue for either side(since Bandon sends out foursomes at $250 X 4, all day long, for most of the year), but...

Isn't it an honor for Arnie to make an unannounced roadie, just to come play your course?

I mean, Bandon gets mention on this board every now and then. Don't know if you guys read the golf magazines ever, but it's hard to get through a whole issue without seeing a discussion of Bandon. Seems like if they're trying to boost their reputation as a world-class golf destination(Bandon is about an airport and a few hotels away from being pretty bigtime. It's a hodunk town, but it's just down 101 from Coos Bay, which is a big/deece enough town to take care of any other needs of the traveller).

Seems like it would be beneficial to suck up to one of the true legends of sport. Remember, he was the first television sports icon this country ever knew.

Just seems petty. I realize Arnie can afford it, but I also realize Bandon could, too. And Bandon had a lot more to gain out of the deal than Arnie did.

And one of these freaking days, I'm gonna gets me some Bandon. If this crazy fall weather holds up, I might have to see about it in about 3 weeks(ain't holding my breath). I was told that winter rate starts in November, and that ugly $250+caddie goes down to $50, and you can play unaccompanied.

Freaking sick.

I'm sure I would have gone and stunk it up there by now, except Bandon, OR, ain't exactly right up the street from me. About a 5 hour drive, give or take. Actually, it's not a whole heck of a lot closer to me than it is from the SF Bay area, really...OK, somewhat closer, but not much. Just seems strange to build a course of that caliber in a place with no hotels, no major airport, and a long long way from any major population centers. But then again...if you build it, they will come.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Any course can pay Arnie to come play. Getting Arnie to drop 250 out of his own pocket puts you on a whole other level. Rack Bandon Dunes for getting over.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I wonder if they sent him off with some aging hippie who was drunk and stoned to the buhjesus belt as a caddie?

Because the one guy I met who caddied there...that was pretty much him.

Man, there's a photo gallery here -- http://www.oregongolf.com/bandon_dunes/

If you're bored and got a golf jones, check it out. Pacific Dunes looks pretty schwig, too.

Most non-U&Lers aren't familiar with the Dunes. Crazysick part of the world. In a nutshell, a big chuck of Oregon's rocky/hilly/mountainous coastline fell into the ocean, more or less. About 50 miles of it, or so. The area kinda filled in with miles and miles and miles of sand dunes...great big, rolling ones. Dune buggy heaven. Bandon is pretty much on the southern tip of the area.

But I'm guessing the day I gear up and make a roady to the U&L Golf Mecca, bitch will probably be socked in all day. Foggy, foggy part of the world.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I think that's part of Bandon's 'personality', if you will. It's out in the middle of nowhere and that's pretty much the way they wanted. A true golf destination. No distractions, other than the beauty, that is. Just golf, good friends, and good food/drinks. It's Scotland here in the States.

I'd give my left arm to play Bandon. Some of us talked about possibly playing it next fall when we're all back out that-aways together.

In one of the golf mags I get, a full page ad featured homesites at Bandon for a fortune. Just 18 of 'em. Just 18. Talk about exclusivity.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Dinsdale wrote:Most non-U&Lers aren't familiar with the Dunes.
... and btw, most non-golfing U&Lers aren't familar with the Dunes.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ken wrote:I think that's part of Bandon's 'personality', if you will. It's out in the middle of nowhere and that's pretty much the way they wanted.
Actually, the motivation was that they wanted a "links" course, and that was just about the last available section of coastline in the United States where a course could be built.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ken wrote: ... and btw, most non-golfing U&Lers aren't familar with the Dunes.

Ken....did you just step to me on matters of the U&L?

Uhm...stop.

The reason you should "stop," is because you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

The Oregon Dunes is a National Recreation Area. And here's a shocker -- it was a National Recreation area loooooong before anyone ever thought about building a fancy golf course there.

Literally thousands of times more people utilize the Dunes for other forms of recreation that those who golf there. World's sandboarding capital, fwiw(you kind of need sand dunes for sandboarding).

Not sure which part of my brief description of the Dunes you didn't catch, but the Dunes is a geographical/geological feature, not a golf course. Covers hundreds of square miles, as a matter of fact.

Did you think that when I mentioned "dune buggy heaven," that they let you bump around the bunkers on ATVs?

Bandon Dunes (that's a golf course) didn't put the Oregon Dunes on the map -- the Dunes put the golf course on the map.

And as far as "being in the middle of nowhere" -- uhm, it's just outside of the largest city on the Oregon Coast.

You've never actually been to the Dunes, have you Ken?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
Ken wrote:I think that's part of Bandon's 'personality', if you will. It's out in the middle of nowhere and that's pretty much the way they wanted.
Actually, the motivation was that they wanted a "links" course, and that was just about the last available section of coastline in the United States where a course could be built.
You don't need coastline to build a links course. You just need a place that looks as desolate as Scotland.

sin

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/sandhills1.html
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sandhills looks like a hoot.

But, "links" is what the Scottish called the stretch of land between the beach and the pasture land just inland.

Just like where Bandon Dunes (and Pacific Dunes, and Bandon Trails) sits.

But...you knew that.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

A quick search reveals that 1.5 million people use the Dunes recreationally annually, with around half coming from out of state to do so.

Damn, that's one busy golf course.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:Sandhills looks like a hoot.

But, "links" is what the Scottish called the stretch of land between the beach and the pasture land just inland.

Just like where Bandon Dunes (and Pacific Dunes, and Bandon Trails) sits.

But...you knew that.
Yes, I know that "links" land is the barrier between the beach and the farmland. However, "links golf" need not be as restrictive. Americans have been building links courses away from the ocean for over 100 years. Like this beauty in Lake Placid, site of one of my worst blowup holes ever. :x

http://www.lpresort.com/

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Ken

Post by Ken »

Eeeeaaasy there, Trigger.
Yes, by 'Dunes' thought you meant Bandon Dunes, you know... seeing how this is a thread ABOUT Bandon Dunes. Especially seeing as how you went directly from a sentence about Bandon and Pacific DUNES to this with one hit of the 'enter' key:
Most non-U&Lers aren't familiar with the Dunes.
You'll have to forgive my most logical of jumps to conclusions :meds:

And just outside the largest city on the Oregon coast? I'm sorry then... the largest city on the Oregon Coast is in the middle of nowhere. Anyways, Sandhills mustn't be in the middle of nowhere since it too is near to one of largest town in Western Nebraska.

When Bandon supplies private air transportation information to the North Bend (International, I'm sure) Airport on their website, you can rest assured it's out in the middle of nowhere. But then again, seeing as how it's near to the largest city on the Oregon coast, I'd bet my bottom dollar there's a high speed rail system from SF or Portland. Of course, no brainer and all.

Say what you will... but Bandon, errrrr the largest city on the Oregon Coast is out in the middle of freaking NOWHERE.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I beg to differ.

People have built "links-style" courses away from coastal plains since to OG Times.

If it isn't on the "links," it can't really be a "links course," now can it?

The side of The Reserve Vinyards that they don't play the Tradition(which is moving to the Sunriver area next year) on looks like something straight out of Scotland/Ireland. Pretty interesting, since the south course(where the Tradition/Jeld-Wen was played...save for a couple of holes from the North) is a classic Northwest style course. Two very dissimilar courses, adjacent to each other. Which is in no way relevant to this discussion. Sweet tracks, though.

Aaaaand, Glendoveer might be in my afternoon plans...maybe. Since I'll be right next to there this afternoon. If so...you know how this works...BODE me. Although I might end up on the West Course, which me and mine usually refer to as "the junior course," due to its relative ease and lack of length(which it balances out by having only one par3 and one par5 on the front, resulting in less scoring opportunities for yours truly, since those seem to be the only holes I can freaking birdy these days...hell, who am I kidding...those are the only holes my stinkyass has been able to par as of late). Front side has a few drivable greens...all of which I'll miss miserably, I'm sure.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ken wrote:Eeeeaaasy there, Trigger.
Yes, by 'Dunes' thought you meant Bandon Dunes
Summary -- you started commenting on stuff you know little about. Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes are named after the region they're located in...the Oregon Dunes...known as "the Dunes" to...oh, say...anybody even vaguely familiar with the area.

Most non-U&Lers aren't familiar with the Dunes.
You'll have to forgive my most logical of jumps to conclusions

No, I won't...since I fucking explained the geography/geology involved in why the region is referred to as "the Dunes."

And just outside the largest city on the Oregon coast? I'm sorry then... the largest city on the Oregon Coast is in the middle of nowhere.
Outstanding logic.

Some other places that by Ken's logic are "in the middle of nowhere" --

San Francisco

Seattle

Atlanta

St. Louis

Pittsburg

When Bandon supplies private air transportation information to the North Bend (International, I'm sure) Airport on their website, you can rest assured it's out in the middle of nowhere. But then again, seeing as how it's near to the largest city on the Oregon coast, I'd bet my bottom dollar there's a high speed rail system from SF or Portland. Of course, no brainer and all.

Say what you will... but Bandon, errrrr the largest city on the Oregon Coast is out in the middle of freaking NOWHERE.

Take the marbles out of both your mouth and your brain.

Let's see -- you mention that they mention travel to North Bend...then you state that Bandon is the largest city on the Oregon Coast. Hello?

North Bend is part of the greater Coos Bay Area(aka the "Oregon Bay Area"). Bandon could be considered part of the greater Coos Bay Area, although it's not located on the shores of Coos Bay(pretty large body of water), but rather on the oceanfront(pictures up top should have told you), in the...hold your hat...Oregon Dunes area(just about right on the southern reaches of it). The "metropolitan" area I speak of is home to about 50,000 people, give or take.

So, if being next to an area's major population center qualifies it as being "in the middle of nowhere," I'd hate to see what you call places in Northern Nevada.

Coos Bay was once the largest timber port in the country(and probably the world) at one point...meets the definition of "nowhere," eh?

Besides, Coos Bay was to be a state capital, the state being Jefferson. Part of Southern Oregon and NoCal were in the process od seceding from their respective states(with a long term goal of seceding from the US). These folks did it all legal-like, and jumped through every legal hoop they needed to, at great expense. Was a big deal at the time. They finally got all the legal requirements taken care of, and had their water-tight case for secession ready, and formally presented it to Congress...on December 6, 1941. Haven't heard much of it since then, although there's still Adopt-a-Road signs in SW Oregon from "Citizens of the State of Jefferson," or some shit like that.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

The newest course just opend Bandon Trails, a bit more inland than the other 2. I played Bandon Dunes before it opened, I was involved in some minor construction and equipment work there. I have not been back since, but the pictures make it look like it has grown in real good.

Mike Kasier, owner $$$$$$, has over 2000 acres in that area. It was all just a bunch of gorse brush when they started back in 1998. I think they intend to build one more course.

The state of Oregon has had to make improvements to the North Bend airport due to the amount of jet traffic in there. There was not enough storage for Jet A, for the planes coming in there. A friend is a commercial pilot, he's doing about 5 to 8 trip's a week in there hauling golfers from Portland, Sunriver, and the Bend area.

Big time economic boon for that former mill, shipping, meth distribution center. hard to get to... I don't think so... if you want a good golf experience, and that would have to be among the tops, you got to do a little bit more than hop out of your sled in some Vegas parking lot. Checked out a golf magazine while waiting for my MRI (knee) yesterday, and all 3 courses we featured as course's your could play ??? WTF ???.

[web]https://www.alaskaair.com/shopping/ssl/ ... start.aspx[/web]
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If a person was to make a trip out of it, why the hell fly to North Bend?

I'd recommend flying to either Portland or San Fran, and enjoying the drive.

Although...every time I go that way, it's all I can do to not pick off one of the protected and well fed elk heard just up the Umpqua. Because goodness freaking knows, there's not very many elk in them thar hills, so we should probably have a taxpayer-fueled program to feed a bunch of them, to ensure they're there for the viewing on the side of the highway.

Pretty sweet drive, though.

And as an aside, some of the best largemouth bass fishing on the planet is not too radically far from Coos Bay...in an area not known for largemouth bass fishing, save for a couple of lakes.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:I beg to differ.

People have built "links-style" courses away from coastal plains since to OG Times.

If it isn't on the "links," it can't really be a "links course," now can it?
If it looks like one and plays like one, then I say it is one.

BTW: Get ready for a big dose of name recognition for Bandon Dunes. You'll be seeing it in the new Tiger Woods 2007 game.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Although...every time I go that way, it's all I can do to not pick off one of the protected and well fed elk heard just up the Umpqua.
A couple of years ago, after working on Salmon Run golf course at Brookings, on my way home , I went up the river to see if the elk were there.

October, and there's a bunch of elk there. This gook with about 3 cameras around his neck, can't read English and jumps the fence to get a better view of the bull (s) and harem.

Now all bull elk think about this time of year is fucking and fighting. I get out of my sled and walk over there and say"Hey you dumb son of a bitch... that bull that's coming your way with his head in the air and bellering, is either gonna fuck you or kill you. You best get the fuck out of there. "

He mumbles something in Gookinese and keeps taking pictures. The bull is about 20 yards form him, so me and another dude start throwing rocks at the bull, (pisses him off more), and a ranger screams up there with a hazing pistol and chases the bull off.

State cop shows up and cites dude. Fucking idiot.

This trip would be good...Fly into Klamath Falls. Rent car...play the Running Y Ranch (Fazio). Drive to Medford, play Eagle Point (RTJ course).
Drive to Brookings, play Salmon Run. Drive to Bandon, play the 3 courses there. If time, drive to Florence and play Sand Pines.

Thats about it for good course's on the South Coast.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?