Global warming debunked. Again.

The best of the best
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:Watts is a unit of power or energy per unit time. If you want an amount of energy you're talking watt-hours. That's why you can't have a watt per hour or a megawatt per minute.
Thanks. I stand corrected. It is roughly 1,400 megawatts per sq. kilometer per second, which as you point out is redundant but does make for a somewhat less abstract number and helps underscore the fact that we are talking about "a shitload" of energy. Happy now?

In any event, my point stands. The human contribution to the total energy in the Earth's system is barely even measurable let alone significant in any way, shape or form.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You still don't get it. What's your source for this information, because they must not get it either.

There is no such thing as a megawatt per anything per second. What part of the difference between "rate" and "quantity" is not sinking into your thick skull?

The rate of insolation in outer space at 1 AU (the distance from Earth to the sun) is about 1350 Watts per square meter. Now, this comes from Wikipedia, which doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, but at least they are using consistent units.

Now, assuming that the value is correct this would be equivalent to 1.35 kW per square meter. 1 sq km = 1,000,000 sq meter, so this would be 1,350 MW per square km, close to your value, but there is no "per second" or "per minute" possible here.

Now, even if all of that energy reached the earth's surface it would only be at that rate at the very point of the globe that is directly facing the sun, and would decrease depending on the angle of the surface to the sun at any point. Long-term time averaged insolation in sunny areas is about 250 Watts per square meter, or 250 MW per square km.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:Now, assuming that the value is correct this would be equivalent to 1.35 kW per square meter. 1 sq km = 1,000,000 sq meter, so this would be 1,350 MW per square km, close to your value, but there is no "per second" or "per minute" possible here.
And that square kilometer area receives how much solar energy every second? That's what I thought. Address the point or shut the fuck up. Nobody gives a rat's ass about your pedantic diversions.
1350 MW x 1 sec / 60 sec/min / 60 min/hr = .375 MWh every second.

Are you at least starting to get it yet?

(This, of course, assumes no atmospheric attenuation. You know, like clouds and stuff.)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Annual insolation:

Let's see if you can figure out the average MW/sq km for each of the different ranges.
Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by Mikey on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
silvurna wrote:Screw it, there are more Chinese than anyone..hang global warming on them.
Can't. They won't listen or care. They have this "we're the Chinese" fact that we can't get around.
Besides, I am afraid of what they may put in my Coke.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Moorese wrote:Besides, I am afraid of what they may put in my Coke.
It’s usually just a baby laxative.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Moorese wrote:Besides, I am afraid of what they may put in my Coke.
It’s usually just a baby laxative.
Always loved those little farts.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

JCT wrote:Let's see, this summer is the hottest since 1937. Wait.. you mean it was hotter in the past? Must have been the failed envior policies of the Hoover Admin.
Well, not exactly. 1937 still has bode.

Bush keeps taking his eye off the target
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

most boring thread i've ever read.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Mikey wrote:Annual insolation:

Let's see if you can figure out the average MW/sq km for each of the different ranges.
Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

Son of a bitch!

According to your graphic, the closer you get to the fucking equator, the more fucking sunshine you get!

No goddam wonder the north & south poles are fucking frozen!
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

There's a poster called "Mikey" who now holds himself a big heaping amount of 'BODE. Dimensional analysis smack is... goddamn I don't know how to do justice to it. For "mikey" to get as much milage as he did out of something that is so utterly entry-level is a thing to behold, especially coming as it did against the heavyweights he applied it to. I mean I could see him schooling Doug near DC but not Dins or mvs... and definitely not both at the same time.

Dimensional analysis is the first fukkin' thing you have to know in the physical sciences: know your units and how to manipulate them.
So basically the day was carried by the least part of his arsenal in this regard.
Smacking someone with that... wow. I think "mikey" needs 'Chive recognition for this his "finest hour".

velocet
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

velocet wrote: know your units and how to manipulate them.
Took 3 fucking pages before somebody dropped a IRIE reset

RACK!
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Global Warming contrarianism is spawned in the same fatuous thinktanks that have brought us "Intelligent Design." Corporate whores like Limpdick, outright religious hacks like Inhofe bray on in the usual gaseous fashion, but as with their other stock positions, they are played out and regarded as such by responsible scientists.

The scientific debate is long over. Of course humanity has and continues to do grievous injury to the planet.

The real question--and a very tough one--is what to do about it.

Clearly the oil companies are dead set against any serious move towards alternative clean sources of energy. And they largely own congress.

So, a good housecleaning in November sure isn't the solution, but it's a good start.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

velocet wrote:There's a poster called "Mikey" who now holds himself a big heaping amount of 'BODE. Dimensional analysis smack is... goddamn I don't know how to do justice to it. For "mikey" to get as much milage as he did out of something that is so utterly entry-level is a thing to behold, especially coming as it did against the heavyweights he applied it to. I mean I could see him schooling Doug near DC but not Dins or mvs... and definitely not both at the same time.

Dimensional analysis is the first fukkin' thing you have to know in the physical sciences: know your units and how to manipulate them.
So basically the day was carried by the least part of his arsenal in this regard.
Smacking someone with that... wow. I think "mikey" needs 'Chive recognition for this his "finest hour".

velocet
Only too happy to bring something new and exciting to the board.

Do you think dimensional analysis smack will ever become as popular as misspelling "place"?
The phantorino
Elwood

Post by The phantorino »

silvurna wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:
silvurna wrote:Screw it, there are more Chinese than anyone..hang global warming on them.
Can't. They won't listen or care. They have this "we're the Chinese" fact that we can't get around.
Big 10-4 good buddy..I believe this is referred to as the "We Built A 1500-Mile Long Wall To Keep Out The Mongols, But The Mongols Had Some Of Those 'Ladder' Things Yellow Peril Conundrum.
What about us? Racists!

Sin
India
Luther Wrote:
a butt load of people who sit in those small cubicles pretending to work while submitting a "take."
The phantorino
Elwood

Post by The phantorino »

mvscal wrote:[
Sun very, very big. People very, very small.

many millions of people releasing tonnes of greenhouse gases into the atmospohere for over 150 years? Very fucking huge you goat-headed dunce.

i remember a neocon commercial concering Russia as part of Reagans' campaign;
"there's a bear in the forest. We don't know if it's dangerous or not, but souldn't we defend just in case?"

if we have the ability to 'defned just in case', why would we not reverse this trend for a possible global warming 'just in case'? Cuz there's no money in it for the Halliburtons of the world, that's why.

and that's the only reason for inaction. So what if we aren't to blame? Who cares who's to blame as long as we man up and stop adding to this *snigger* natural warming trend -that's the issue, you peice of snot on this board's hankerchief.

BTW 1 degree in 50 years? less ice pack, less snow, less water, expasion of the equitorial zone, crops die, florida underwater, more people, more pollution, etc.

Noiw go away and grow some balls before you bother anyone here, again.
Luther Wrote:
a butt load of people who sit in those small cubicles pretending to work while submitting a "take."
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

mvscal wrote:You wanna try this again in English?

Don't worry about spelling or grammar just focus on the attempt to communicate a coherent thought.
That's a lot to ask of Phantardino.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
The phantorino
Elwood

Post by The phantorino »

mvscal wrote: You wanna try this again in English?

Don't worry about spelling or grammar just focus on the attempt to communicate a coherent thought.
Sure - you are more full of shit that one person has a right to be now get your head into a book and away from your ass revisit the facts as known and we'll wait for an apology.

Got it? you piece of diseased piece of ebola-infected m-o-n-k-e-y cum
Luther Wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

The phantorino wrote:you piece of diseased piece of
Beautiful.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Dinsdale wrote:
I think anyone who believes in human-caused climate change is arrogant.
FTFY

The story is fiction... The bibliography isn't.

Chicken Little indeed.