Why wasn't Syracuse's Jerry McNamara drafted?

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Why wasn't Syracuse's Jerry McNamara drafted?

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Some team out there will get a steal by getting him as a free agent. Holy shit that dude can shoot a basketball.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Weren't there enough white guys taken in the draft? :P
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

The whiteness of WVU also got shit on. Mike Gansey and Kevin Pittsnoggle deserve to be on NBA rosters (and they likely will be).

Gansey, however, isn't really NBA material considering he isn't an off the court problem, and because he's a ball distributor who can shoot the 3 and gives 100% on the floor.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shit...if we're going to sit here and discuss how much smarter we are than NBA GMs...

I'm still shocked that Ed Cota never found a home in the NBA.

I doubt I'll get to the current crop for a few years yet.

Oh, and btw-wasn't the #1 pick one of those dreaded White Guys?

Maybe #3, too?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm not an NBA GM and I'm smart enough to know that a 6'10" all-time WVU leader in 3s, whom led his team to a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in back-to-back years would be considered a "decent" pick-up.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm smart enough to know

Is this where the :world'sbiggestrolleyes: goes?

Really, let's get down to brass tacks, and go ahead and name the greatest players in the history of college basketball...

Statistically and logically, it's pretty easy to make the case that Christian Laettner is the best college player in history. Think that GM wants that pick back?

Corless Williamson? Hard to argue he's one of the all-time greats of NCAA ball.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Steve Johnson still hold the NCAA record for highest FG% in a career?

How about Ed O'Bannen? Certainly a great player.

Getting the point?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Where exactly did I lump Pittsnogle and Gansey in with the "greatest players in the history of college basketbal"? That's a classic dinsdalian reach if I've ever seen one.

Still, it just so happens there's a niche for big men with an excellent stroke in the NBA. I'll get back to you in a year or two when I'm right about Pittsnogle. In fact, you can go ahead and copy this, paste it in Word, and hit "save" so you can check back and remember how on-the-money that Mgo guy was.
Last edited by MgoBlue-LightSpecial on Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Where exactly did I lump Pittsnogle and Gansey in with the "greatest players in the history of college basketbal"? That's a classic dinsdalian reach if I've ever seen one.

Where exactly did I say you said that? Classic MGOian reach if I've ever seen one.

But, you missed the point. Great college players do not neccessarily great pros make.

Get it yet?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Certainly there have been big-name player busts in the history of the NBA, but a few exceptions in history shouldn't stricken you of your balls when it comes to making selections. I'm sure it's considered fairly routine to go after not only talented players, but proven winners from winning teams if you have the opportunity.

Unless of course there's some European or High School kid available everyone's waxing as god with a pair of sneakers.

You see, talent + success are considered "positive" characteristics.

I can see Dins in a GM conference room before his selection is announced:

"Well, we've got an incredibly talented kid with 2 Final Fours under his belt, but DAMNIT, remember what happened to that Laettner guy? Better not risk it. Let's take that really tall guy from Uganda who hasn't even shot a basketball before."
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Well, the GMs who actually do that shit for a living seem to agree with me.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dins, the kind of guys you're referring to (indirectly) are going to be picked more simply because THERE'S A LOT MORE OF THEM.

In a perfect world, every draft entree would be a Final 4 MVP.

All things being equal, I think a GM targets the guy who has a greater history of success and winning.