Advice on Indian Food?

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Advice on Indian Food?

Post by indyfrisco »

I've never had Indian food. Always wanted to try, but groups I've been with have never wanted to go. Sitting in the hotel room, and I want to try something new.

Any ideas on what kind of food to order? I'm in Philly, and I heard this place called Manayung (or something like that) has some awesome Indian food. It's only 10 minutes from the hotel so I'm thinking of going tomorrow. Going to do Thai tonight.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Try the hard-smoked buffalo.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I think I had that in High School. Isn't it served a bit rare? Lotsa blood?

Looking for something else...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ask to see the firewater list. Sniff a bunch of corks so it looks like you know what's up. Greet the maitre d' with a warm "HOW!" If the chef comes out and points a knife in the direction of your hair, politely excuse yourself to the restroom. Don't tell them you have smallpox. When it comes time to pay the bill, leave them a handful of beads.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Tandoori chicken is always safe.

Last week, I had some lamb curry. I forget the actual name.

I love the spinach stuff, and there is a curried mixed vegie dish I love... forget the names.

Samosas (I think) are great appetizers, with the mint chutney (spicy).

Garlic naan.

Good stuff.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Remeber that they use EVERY part of the buffalo.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:Ask the waiter for suggestions, get the house special.
Do you go out of your way to sound like an idiot, or does it come naturally?
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

ask for the stuffed sheeps head and see what happens
mvscals blow monkey spunk
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Try the curry. Or I hear curry is nice. Curry curry curry.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Good beginner dishes

Samosas
Aloo Bonda
Pakoda
Aloo Tikki
Chicken tikka
Butter Chicken
Tandoori Chicken
Lamb Korma
Goan fish curry

All the different types of Naan bread are good my favorite are the garlic & spinich & cheese
but make sure you get the mango chutney & cucumber raita with your naan
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

there's a lamb and yogurt dish thats good, i forget
mvscals blow monkey spunk
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

weekly takeout purchase in this household:

samosa appetizer
garlic nan (bread)
some chicken dish for me
some veggie dish for my wife

beano beforehand
scalding hot colostomy bag reprisals later in life
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Voice of Reason
Elwood

Post by Voice of Reason »

Don't get the Snake SupriseImage
"The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church."

- Ferdinand Magellan
ADAM
still pays, but gets no sex anymore

Post by ADAM »

I heard the Beef is excellent....
The only right answer to a fool is silence
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

IndyFrisco - not sure how deep you wanna delve into Indian food, how varied your palate is, but if it's adventurous at all, pass up the common ones, (generic curries and the like, most people, restaurants even don't have a clue what they're doing) and aim for a place where Indian senior citizens are in the kitchen, it'll be worth it.

hanging around with hare krishna's (and gujurati indians and bengalis) for the past 14 years has probably biased me some but my suggestions are :

matar paneer - most people would label this as a curry, but it's not. typically a green veggie like peas, or green beans in a minted tomato sauce and (the most key ingredient in this one) is the paneer. homemade cheese, fresh. i make it. it's yummy.

if you're looking for something minus the tomato, palak paneer. creamed sort of spinach with the same home made (non aged) cheese. good stuff.

samosas are always good, stick with veggie. they aren't supposed to be full of dead cows. if they are, you're heading into Arabic territory. they should be stuffed with potatoes, cauliflower, peas - any or all of the above and highly spiced. traditionally served with tamarind chutney.

pakoras too - veggies that are dipped in a batter thats made from chickpea flower. again, good stuff.

i'm not into meat, though i've started eating chicken again - chicken is a safe choice anywhere, even Indian places. tandoori the best.

garlic naan is like a dry but soft pita, raised slightly with yeast, unlike puris (deep fried wheat flat breads that are addictive) and chapatis. no yeast. flatbreads. again, made with weirdo cool flours and cooked (if done right) right over a a flame.

dosa's are good too - big huge savoury pancakes, usually with cilantro, sort of sour and flexible beyond that.

the fried stuff should be cooked in clarified butter (ghee) otherwise it becomes some lame americanized version of what some dipshit thinks indian is.

not sure what sort of indian you're going to, but indian food isn't so easy to generalize. it might be easier tomake suggestions if i know what sort of indian you're going for.. punjabi ? southern indian style (gujarati etc.) ? western, what ?
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Dinsdale wrote:Ask to see the firewater list. Sniff a bunch of corks so it looks like you know what's up. Greet the maitre d' with a warm "HOW!" If the chef comes out and points a knife in the direction of your hair, politely excuse yourself to the restroom. Don't tell them you have smallpox. When it comes time to pay the bill, leave them a handful of beads.
Rack Dins!

You people suck, seriously. Advice on Indian food, DON'T EAT IT!
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

and what kind of food does not suck, 88 ?

do tell.
SaladTosser
Violet the Organ Grinder

Post by SaladTosser »

!zzubevol wrote:IndyFrisco - not sure how deep you wanna delve into Indian food, how varied your palate is, but if it's adventurous at all, pass up the common ones, (generic curries and the like, most people, restaurants even don't have a clue what they're doing) and aim for a place where Indian senior citizens are in the kitchen, it'll be worth it.

hanging around with hare krishna's (and gujurati indians and bengalis) for the past 14 years has probably biased me some but my suggestions are :

matar paneer - most people would label this as a curry, but it's not. typically a green veggie like peas, or green beans in a minted tomato sauce and (the most key ingredient in this one) is the paneer. homemade cheese, fresh. i make it. it's yummy.

if you're looking for something minus the tomato, palak paneer. creamed sort of spinach with the same home made (non aged) cheese. good stuff.

samosas are always good, stick with veggie. they aren't supposed to be full of dead cows. if they are, you're heading into Arabic territory. they should be stuffed with potatoes, cauliflower, peas - any or all of the above and highly spiced. traditionally served with tamarind chutney.

pakoras too - veggies that are dipped in a batter thats made from chickpea flower. again, good stuff.

i'm not into meat, though i've started eating chicken again - chicken is a safe choice anywhere, even Indian places. tandoori the best.

garlic naan is like a dry but soft pita, raised slightly with yeast, unlike puris (deep fried wheat flat breads that are addictive) and chapatis. no yeast. flatbreads. again, made with weirdo cool flours and cooked (if done right) right over a a flame.

dosa's are good too - big huge savoury pancakes, usually with cilantro, sort of sour and flexible beyond that.

the fried stuff should be cooked in clarified butter (ghee) otherwise it becomes some lame americanized version of what some dipshit thinks indian is.

not sure what sort of indian you're going to, but indian food isn't so easy to generalize. it might be easier tomake suggestions if i know what sort of indian you're going for.. punjabi ? southern indian style (gujarati etc.) ? western, what ?

I'll admit, I read some of this. Obviously, I wish I hadn't. My guess is that you "dated" and Indian at some point before, after, or during your coal-smuggling days.
Bizzarofelice wrote:I drank as much orange soda as an inner city block party.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

no, indian males are sexless. the whole sexless thing just really doesn't work for me.
cult-y sort of people, you eat what they eat.

2. i read your masturbation techniques too. contemplated answering and then remembered what a pain in the ass you can be and moved right along :twisted:
Last edited by lovebuzz on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

My advice is NO.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
SlimeX
Fuckin' Noob

Post by SlimeX »

!zzubevol wrote:a pain in the ass
All you'll feel the next day after eating any real Indian dishes, Frisco. Plus you'll smell like an Exxon cashier.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Indian food tastes like dogshit. Well at least it smells like dogshit since I've never partaken in the canine feces. The only time I ate Indian was at some buffet in Palm Springs and I'm not about to touch that shit again.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

The the malodorous fumes the seep through the cracks through doorframes smells like Hajneesh used a skillet to sautee any form of food in PISS.

Seriously, the odors emanating smell like something was cooked in piss. It is so strong that it makes me ill to be around those cheap bastards that have a large Hindu population in my area.

Don't eat anything cooked in piss.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

you fuckahs are HIGH. Subcontinent Stew is the shit.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I've had Indian food three times.

After eating Indian food, I've shat my ass off three times.

AP is right, the shit smells like it was cooked in a mixture of piss and kitty litter.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I've got a Taj Mahal within walking distance. I've got a Friday Night Curry and a subsequent dark beer slurry. On Saturdays, I bleed freely from the nostrils.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

After eating Indian food, I've shat my ass off three times.
that's rich.

88 you sound like my kid brother, damn.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Obviously Buzzer these dorks have never had REAL Indian food

I live just round the Corner from King St Newtown where you can get brilliant food from all over the world & cheap too

Thai is my favorite though closely followed by Indian
Both Thai & Indian are known for their hot curries but both also do amazing spicey
but not hot
exquisitely flavoured food

Have you tried Nepalese buzzer?
it's similar to Indian but better with more refined flavours mo mo's with mint yogurht sauce are a must
Baceña

Post by Baceña »

look, indian food isn't like eating raw centipedes or anything

it's not that weird.

damn
Baceña

Post by Baceña »

good indian food is dope
Baceña

Post by Baceña »

tardowen, just get what sounds good on the menu

it's some good shit if done right
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

missjo wrote:Obviously Buzzer these dorks have never had REAL Indian food

concur. a narrow mind must suck.

I live just round the Corner from King St Newtown where you can get brilliant food from all over the world & cheap too

cool beans. i love that about where i live. there aren't any americans. everything's foreign/authentic, everythings cheap and uncle mike will probably call the FBI on me (again) for this supposedly anti-american post. i'll keep you posted.

Thai is my favorite though closely followed by Indian
Both Thai & Indian are known for their hot curries but both also do amazing spicey
but not hot
exquisitely flavoured food

i hate thai food.

Have you tried Nepalese buzzer?

couple of times, wasn't impressed. shit restaurant just outside of the 314. i think i'm spoiled from eating in a temple for so long. i don't know about the more refined flavours... like i said, i went to a lame cheapo dive in st. louis.

it's similar to Indian but better with more refined flavours mo mo's with mint yogurht sauce are a must
thats another weird thing, i hate yogurt. a lot.

toddowen - i don't reccomend lots of stuff, wouldn't even know where to begin. other than avoid beef. 99% of Indians think it's wrong to kill/eat cows. this makes me think they probably can't cook them very well.

and even if indian does make you shit, so what ?

that feels good, and it's good for you.

beats going for a colonic, you wanna talk about shit ?

THERE'S A STORY.

i get colonics every 2 months...
Baceña

Post by Baceña »

my broker is Indian

1% of indians are catholic and he's in that minority

he's nails

just dumped some shit bringing in 6% for some shit bringing in 8%

for no fee!!!

RACK INDIA! :P
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Buzzer as with Indian you have to find a good Nepalese eatery there is one here called the Nepalese Kitchen with the most divine food you have ever tasted in your life, if you ever make it to Sydney I'll take you there

If you hate Thai again you haven't had good Thai
[I tried the Thai in the US & I agree it blows
But my Girlfriend who is living in LA now said there are a couple of decent places near where she lives but not as good as the stuff we get
being that here we are right next door to Asia we have some amazing Thai here
I love the Vegetarian Curry puffs & Duck salad at our local daothai

Todd avoid the Vindaloo

The Indians created the Vindaloo as a payback to the the English for the way they messed up their country
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Onion bhajis fucking rule.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

So the consensus seems you either love it or hate it.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Just order a plain hamburger and a glass of Hamm's.
MotoGoalie
Elwood

Post by MotoGoalie »

So dude asks for advice on Indian food and the net.geniuses like Dinsdale et al come up with some vErY strong redskin smak. The thought that when one refers to Indian food it typically means Indian food, like in Apu or Ghandi or some other red dot on the head motherfucker's grub.

Yet, Dinsdale in his effort to be the cutting edge moron his bitch of a mother gave birth to, assplows the tired Native American 'firewater' oh so fresh comment and the amazing thing is he keeps at it.

Publik edukation is seriously fucked up.

Well done.
mvscal wrote: Of course. The 'I was just trolling' card. The monotonously predictable last gasp of a plungered gimp as he swirls down the drain.
Sorry Spanky, you're on my hook.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

did someone change the language settings?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MotoGoalie wrote:So dude asks for advice on Indian food and the net.geniuses like Dinsdale et al come up with some vErY strong redskin smak. The thought that when one refers to Indian food it typically means Indian food, like in Apu or Ghandi or some other red dot on the head motherfucker's grub.

Yet, Dinsdale in his effort to be the cutting edge moron his bitch of a mother gave birth to, assplows the tired Native American 'firewater' oh so fresh comment and the amazing thing is he keeps at it.

Publik edukation is seriously fucked up.

Well done.
You can't even fomulate a proper callout, and MY education is fucked up?

I must have brought some misery to your primary nick at some point. I don't look for things to get any better for your new nick, either.