THE Finals Thread

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

THE Finals Thread

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't know about you guys but I'm excited about this series...the few days without hockey has got me wanting this to get going. No change in my pick...Oilers in 6 / Conn Smythe: Chris Pronger
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Some very questionable calls have gone against Carolina so far.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Hemsky did dive on the Brind'Amour penalty...not too critical of the other calls. Penalties were piling up on Carolina but to their credit, they killed of a couple of 5-on-3s. Good spirited play by both teams in the first...definitely didn't see any rust from the Oilers. Roloson wasn't tested too much...he could probably use a good peppering to get him into the series. Maybe if the refs even up the calls and the Canes get some power plays, he'll start seeing some rubber. The shots were even after one but the Oilers controlled the play.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

That one on Recchi was crap. Moreau fell on his own.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

'Canes in 6, Brind'Amour MVP, and the garlic finally (thankfully) burns their shitty little town to the ground.

3 reasons Carolina will win the Cup.....

1/ they are a better team
2/ Rod Brind'Amour has sacrificed his grille for hockey.....that boy has been carved UP!!

and third and most importantly.......

It's Hurricane Season!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

.....and I'll tell you this,

if the Gipper had Oilers in the secret service, he wouldn't have taken a bullet that fateful day.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Can't dispute that penalty shot call...correct call to make and it comes down to the goalie to cancel it out. Great shot by Pronger. The Oilers look like the better team so far...Brind'Amour sounded irritated with the team's playing during that interview to did on OLN. They need to get a quick goal to start the period or the Oilers will put it on lockdown.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well...that would constitute as a quick goal. If they kill this next penalty, it should be an interesting stretch of play...can the Canes get the equalizer?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

We got ourselves a hockey game...
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

I bet those 3 goals tasted a lot better going down than they did coming up..........jeebus!!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Brind'Amour must've said something during the intermission...that is a completely different team dressed in red. Also Ward is outplaying Roloson right now...Roloson needs to stand on his head to keep this from getting out of hand.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

What a friggin' 3rd period the Canes are having. Cam Ward is going to have a statue erected in front of the RBC Center if they win this game.

I probably just jinxed them.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

That is a Stanley Cup winning save. I know it's only game one, but holy crap!!!!!
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Rack Fu wrote: I probably just jinxed them.
:evil:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Man, is this any good...screw those people who want to dump on this sport. This is the best game I've seen all season.

Roli is out! Talk about a tough spot for Conklin.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

TY Conklin?!? Ice Cold?!?!?! 5 minutes left in a tie game.

Tough break, garlic.......tough break.

:lol:
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Shoalzie wrote:Man, is this any good...screw those people who want to dump on this sport.
Thats what Im sayin'.

I cant be bothered to call up guys like Skip and Sissillyhoweveryouspellit. If you can't get with this sport, that's on you. Go watch cars drive around in circles or something.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That sucks...I was hoping for OT.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

M-V-P

M-V-P

M-V-P

The goal to start the comeback, oooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and I was delaying saying the winner, until Cam Ward.....holy shit!!!!!

They are getting that statue mold ready.

Great game.....more please.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

What a terrible way to lose such an excellent game.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Nice going Ryan Smith...what a fucked way to blow a finals game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cross Traffic wrote:Nice going Ryan Smith...what a fucked way to blow a finals game.

Jason Smith...

Poor Conklin...plays 5 minutes, gives up a weird goal and the fate of his team rests on his shoulders if Roloson is done.

Ward played one of the best period by a goalie in the playoffs by far.

Epic game! Bravo to both clubs...
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

too many Smiths on that team...lol

I so wanted this one to go to OT, this had to be one of the best SC Final games in years!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

That's about the best the Oilers have.......Carolina played like shit.

I'm shortening my prediction to 5.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

al? wrote:That's about the best the Oilers have.......Carolina played like shit.

I'm shortening my prediction to 5.

Even if Roloson is hurt, don't make any assumptions after just one game. The best part of this year's playoffs is the fact you don't know what will happen next.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Rolo out for the series, they are DEAD.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Like I told al?, don't assume anything yet. Great teams can overcome odds...we'll see how good these Oilers really are. If Ward gets a roll though, I would have a hard time believing Edmonton can get back into it. I've never heard of a series being over after one game. Maybe if Pronger blows out his knee, I'd start digging their grave. We'll just see Conklin comes in Game 2 knowing he is the man and he's probably got to win to play the next game. Sounds like MacTavish is more than willing to flip-flop between Markkanen and Conklin.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

As hard as I was cheering for the 'canes in that game, I hate to see a team lose like that! Well, I did cheer and chuckle when the goal went in...

Shoalzie might not be willing to start shovelling dirt on them, but if what MacTavish said is true about Roloson being done, so are the Oilers. I've had the displeasure of watching Oiler games all year long, and Markkanen and Conklin are both not very good. 1 bad goal already, and most assuredly more on the way, and that spells a loss of confidence for any hockey team, no matter how well they're playing.

Even if Roloson was fine, I liked the way the 'canes fought back and got into the game again. I think this series is theirs no matter who tends goal.
Still a FlameFan
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

FUCK

Fuck Blowing a 3 goal lead
Fuck losing Roloson for the series
Fuck fuck fuck

having said that, we were in playoff contention when we had Morrison, Markkannen and Conklin.... time to start Jussi and pray.
GET-ZKY!!!!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Joey Moss wrote:FUCK

Fuck Blowing a 3 goal lead
Fuck losing Roloson for the series
Fuck fuck fuck

having said that, we were in playoff contention when we had Morrison, Markkannen and Conklin.... time to start Jussi and pray.

heavy on the pray.

Tough break, Garlic.......even for you.

It's like when one of those mass-murderers gets the needle, but the shit takes like 30 minutes to kick in. You feel kind of bad, but not really.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Cross Traffic wrote:too many Smiths on that team...lol
Jason Smith... Ryan Smith... might as well call him Steve Smith. That screwup behind the goal will have the same result as in '86.

Buh bye Oilers.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

80% of Edmonton's regular season wins came before we got Roli. Win game #2 and we've got the split.

Now for the love of god start Markannen.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Cross Traffic wrote:too many Smiths on that team.
Nope, just 1 Jason Smith... It's Ryan Smyth.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

i've always been a brind'amour fan since he played for philly. when he played at michigan state was a little before my time but rack him for that as well. dude was part of the heart and soul of the mid 90s flyers and it killed me to see him dealt for that flopping piece of shit keith primeau (how i felt at the time) in 98 or 99.

dude is the perfect combination of leadership, grit, and athletic ability. and rack the fuck out of the bridge of his nose, that just screams bad ass.

also rack mark recchi. if i had a real job with lots of disposable income, i'd still buy a recchi home flyers jersey. rack him.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Screw_Michigan wrote:dude is the perfect combination of leadership, grit, and athletic ability. and rack the fuck out of the bridge of his nose, that just screams bad ass.
RACK that. I have always admired Brind'Amour's play. He's very underrated.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

The goal can only be blamed on Conklin. I dont care that he came out to play the puck. I dont care that he played it with a small amount of time left. I do care that he threw it behind him without knowing what the hell was back there. Even if Smith hadn't been there to fuck it up Brind'amour was right there to nab it.

Fuck you Ty and fuck your bonehead play. If MacT starts you it will only be out of pity.

That being said it was a great game until the Oil began to melt. And what a melt. Fucking shameful to kickback like that and get walked all over.

Staios oughta be horsewhipped for the lazy play at the line that let Williams tear ass down and get one SH.

Huge props for Ward robbing Horcoff. I was already up and cheering.

Hemsky only slightly redeemed his dangle dangle dangle pass pass pass play all night with that goal. The rest of the Oil need to do that more often rather than be forced off center and take bad angled shots. Crashing the net is Oiler hockey.

Poor Roli. People here are blaming Bergeron for pushing whatever Cane that was into Roloson but it didn't look like it to me. I think he was just trying to play the body and neither Bergeron nor the Cane were at all to blame. He played outstanding in the playoffs and its a shame he won't be finishing them. I was not a fan when he showed up but he won me over eventually. Tough break.

I do not think we will survive past game 5.
Joey Moss wrote:FUCK

You said it my friend.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Did that game give Acid Queen a coronary or something?
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Edmonton is doomed. Ty Conklin is the worst goalie in the NHL.

He was demoted after 10 games.

I saw this coming a long time ago:
I love Kevin Lowe...but he has to be dragged on the carpet for the goalie situation. Edmonton is not deep in goalies..Where's Lowe's head at?
That's me from October 26, 2005

Rack me
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

The Rat Pack wrote:Edmonton is doomed. Ty Conklin is the worst goalie in the NHL.

He was demoted after 10 games.

I saw this coming a long time ago:
I love Kevin Lowe...but he has to be dragged on the carpet for the goalie situation. Edmonton is not deep in goalies..Where's Lowe's head at?
That's me from October 26, 2005

Rack me
Yeah you and everyone else... of course everyone also said the same thing about Horcoff at center and their lack of offence. Apparently Lowe's head was watching his team mature and saving his dollars for the second half of the year so he could pick up the things he needed at or before the deadline (ie Spacek, Samsonov, & Roloson).
GET-ZKY!!!!
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

With rolo out, the oilers are pretty much playing with dead money at the final table.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.