The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Eastern Conference Finals

Post by WolverineSteve »

PG

Billups vs. Jason Williams.

Mr Big Shot vs. white chocolate. Billups, a finals MVP has the better resume. Williams likes to push the ball but sometimes plays out of control. Chauncey is clutch late in tight ballgames, Williams usually watches the ends of games from the bench.

Edge- Detroit

SG

Hamilton vs. Wade

Both are great defensively and very active offensively. Both averaged 20+ against eachother in the regular season. Wade is the #1 option for the Heat and seems to play big in big games.

Edge-Miami

Small Forward

Prince vs. Walker

Prince plays his best in the playoffs. With Walkers lazy defensive play this should be the matchup Detroit looks to exploit most often. Walker also fancies himself a scorer, taking ill-times shots.

Edge-Detroit

Power Forward

Rasheed Wallace vs. Haslem

'Sheed should have his way with Haslem. A point of emphasis will be to keep Haslem off the offensive glass, where he picks up a lot of garbage buckets. Wallace's ankle should be close to 100% allowing him to utilize his full inside, outside repetoire.

Edge-Detroit

Center

Ben Wallace vs. Shaq

Defensive POY vs. an aging legend. Shaq is healthier this year. However he's been in foul trouble all post season. Miami's best bet is to use Shaq's passing ability from the low-post. If Big Ben can keep him 8 ft. and further out Shaq's scoring will be minimized.

Edge-Miami

Bench

Lindsey Hunter, Antonio McDyess, Dale Davis, Mo Evans, Tony Delk.
vs.
Mourning, Peyton, Posey

Detroit will go at least ten deep if Shaq stays out of foul trouble. Davis, McDyess, and the Wallace's give the Pistons 24 fouls to use in the paint. Hunters key buckets and smothering defense have been big momentum changers. Mourning is a huge contributor off the bench. Peyton Sucks though.

Edge-Detroit

intangibles

Fourth straight trip to the Conference finals. Home court advantage. A 3-1 regular season advantage. The Pistons have been there and done that. As for the Heat, they've built this team to beat Detroit. This is what they've wanted since tasting defeat in last year's series.

Edge-Detroit

Coaching

Riley has 4 rings. Saunders is known more for under achieving in the playoffs with Garnett and the T-wolves. The gritty comeback against Cleveland showed that he's responsible for more than rolling out the ball for a great starting five.

Prediction-Pistons in six.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I'm going to go homer since the Heat are my team, but since the All-Star break, the Heat and Pistons have the exact same record. Last year, a healthy Wade would have put the Heat in the Finals. W/ a week off and plenty of rest I think the Heat are going to be ready. The Pistons can’t continue to play hot and cold and pull it off every series. They are going to get caught sleeping one time and this one time is against the Heat.

Heat in 6
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

True, they can't sleep walk against a team of this caliber. I think either way it'll be a very close series. I think Chauncey will be the key on offense. I look for Antoinne Walker to shoot the Heat out of at least one game.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Eastern Conference Finals

Post by Dinsdale »

WolverineSteve wrote: Rasheed Wallace vs. Haslem

A point of emphasis will be to keep Haslem off the offensive glass, where he picks up a lot of garbage buckets.

And you're figuring a meltdown artist who is TERRIFIED of coming within 5 feet of the paint is going to keep Haslem off the boards?

Maybe being a Blazerfan my memory is more vivid, but...remember that time that Rasheed kept that one offensive rebounder off the boards?

Yeah, I don't remember that...ever. In 7.5 looong years. Kinda cost us a trip to the finals.

In all his years playing hoops, dude still doesn't even know what the term "boxing out" even means.

I'm rooting for Miami, based upon my 16 year hatred for the Pistons.

I think if Rip and Prince put some hard fouls on Midget Wade, he might not go inside as often. And it might possibly cause Shaq to reatliate on behalf of his boy. And if Shaq gets into foul trouble (nice to see the refs calling his fouls like they should have been doing for the last 13 years, or whatever it's been), what becomes of the Heat? What, is Zo going to come in and start loogying up kidney biscuits on the Pistons' inside players?

I don't see it happening, but goooo Heat!

Then again, I didn't see any way Dallas would beat the Champs in a game 7 on their own floor, so what do I know?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Power Forward

Rasheed Wallace vs. Haslem

'Sheed should have his way with Haslem. A point of emphasis will be to keep Haslem off the offensive glass, where he picks up a lot of garbage buckets. Wallace's ankle should be close to 100% allowing him to utilize his full inside, outside repetoire.
Too funny. Sheed has no inside game. Too funny. Haslem is scrappy. I do not agree with this one at all.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Do you even watch the NBA? Sheed is considered one of the top inside/outside players in the game. And Haslem is Miami's second leading rebounder (offensive) behind Shaq. Just the facts cuz. Wallace is a true talent. I can see how people might over look his inside game as he tends to fall in love with the trey. But in key situations he'll post up down low. Haslem is out of his league in this one.

Dins,
I bet you hate Vinne Johnson too. Those truly were the best years for the NBA as far as I'm concerned. That Kersey boy was a handful. No way Detroit wins three straight in Portland, a place they hadn't won in 14 years to that point.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WolverineSteve wrote:Sheed is considered one of the top inside/outside players in the game.
By whom, exactly?

Absolutely no one on planet earth not name Wolverine Steve, that's who.

Sorry dude -- you're WAY off on that one. In his earlier years in Portland, he'd occasionally find the low/mid block...until he got brushed with one freaking handcheck, then he'd be MIA inside the arc for the rest of the game, if not for the rest of the week.

Not sure which Rasheed you've been watching for the last 11 years (or whatever it's been).
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

I've only given a shit about Rasheed since he's been a Piston. Dude is a fan favorite, and is doing great things around the city with kids etc.

A quick look for articles mentioning his post up game.....
7 or so paragraphs down...
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 048/SPORTS

and there's this guy...
http://www.nba.com/playoffs2006/analysis_detmia.html

Then there's this, about 3/4 through the article.
http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 30366/1004

It aint me making this stuff up, guys who get paid to watch and comment on the NBA (guys who know more than any of us, even you Dins) say what I've tried to tell you cats. Sheed is an inside/outside presence.

Feel free to post the obligitory "you were right Wolverinesteve, and I was wrong" diatribe below. :wink:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WolverineSteve wrote:Dude is a fan favorite, and is doing great things around the city with kids etc.
Worked out that way around here...for about...oh, about a year-and-a-half, two years.

And trust me -- a leopard don't change its spots. The meltdown is coming...a matter of "when," not "if."

If you never believe a thing I post, believe that one, bro.

It aint me making this stuff up, guys who get paid to watch and comment on the NBA (guys who know more than any of us, even you Dins)
Beg to differ. Sports journalists can be some of the least knowledgable people about sports. They don't have that position because they know any more than you or I...they have that position because they have a journalism degree...nothing more, nothing less.

And frankly -- I'll bet I've seen Sheed play more games than those guys put together...and anyone dumb enough to state that Sheed plays any inside game whatsoever, is fucking lying to you, and don't know shit.
Sheed is an inside/outside presence.

No, he's very definitely not...by even the longest stretch of the imagination. 6'11" "big man" with a career rebounding average less than 7 a game out front should have told you.

Oh wait...I wasn't supposed to bring facts to this party, was I? Kinda shoots down this absolutely ridiculous notion that Sheed is some sort of presence inside.

1.6 freaking offensive boardsa a game on his careeer. 1.6 .

Here's a partial list of players with more career O-Boards per game than Sheed --

Andrew Bogut (2.3)
Kwami "Dear God, I Might Break A Nail In The Paint" Brown (1.9)
Elton Brand (4.0 HOLY POO!)

I guess on the bright side, he managed to narrowly edge out Kobe Bryant and Corey Maggette in careeer offensive boards....who are just TITANS of the inside game.

Dude...moral of the story -- don't believe everything you read, I guess. You certainly shouldn't believe it if it mentions Rasheed being an "inside player," anyway. That was always the huge knock agaist him here in Portland, which gave the "journalists" something to write about at least once a week...very poor low-post player for a man his size.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

I guess we just disagree. My point is that he can play in the post. The guys you mentioned have no outside game. This is what makes him a special player. The fault I find in his game is that he too often jacks up the treys.

As for the off the court stuff, I can only judge him on his time in Detroit. Maybe he's grown up. Maybe part of his maturation was getting in a good system. Believe me, if he was still a punk Joe D. would have nothing to do with him. You do remember Joe Dumars don't you :wink: .
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Big win for the Heat tonight. Detroit cant score w/ them IMO.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

All the Piston key guys were off tonight. I'll give them a pass based on fatigue. This is a game Detroit needed, as Wade and Shaq were in foul trouble. Props to Miami, game 2 is a must-win for Detroit.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

BIG INSIDE GAME THERE FOR SHEED.....

THREE BOARDS.

Nice.

WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Inside game was referring to low post on offense. You do know what that is right bitch? Ben Wallace is the team rebound stud, very few teams have more than one dominant rebounder. Naturally, guarding Shaq will cause those numbers to drop a bit.

If a one-liner about Rasheed is all you found fault in my original post, I guess it could be classified as brilliant.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Cicero wrote:Big win for the Heat tonight. Detroit cant score w/ them IMO.
If they can't score with them why did they outscore them 95-88 in their 4 game series during the regular season, dipshit? How the fuck do you even begin to respond to that?

Jesus, the Heat steal the first game and you're in full blown myopic mode.

Bottom line is the Heat shot the ball very well yesterday. They were what, like 63% from the field? And the Pistons STILL stayed in the game and almost pulled it out. If you think the Heat are going to continue to shoot 60%+ throughout the rest of the series, then you are seriously reaching.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Not when they shoot 38% to Miami's 56%.

Even after all that, Detroit still held the lead in the 4th and only lost by 5.

And T REX, not having an insided game is different than not using an inside game. Wallace is excellent when he wants to go down low. The issue is 80% of the time he thinks he's a 3 and not a 4.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

WolverineSteve wrote:Inside game was referring to low post on offense. You do know what that is right bitch? Ben Wallace is the team rebound stud, very few teams have more than one dominant rebounder. Naturally, guarding Shaq will cause those numbers to drop a bit.

If a one-liner about Rasheed is all you found fault in my original post, I guess it could be classified as brilliant.
Pistons in six.

Not brilliant.

Killian

Post by Killian »

T REX wrote:Pistons in six.

Not brilliant.
So you don't think that can still happen?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Well the Florida homer in him pulls for the Heat.

The Native Detroiter in him will claim the Pistons if they pull it out.

The moron can't lose.

Pistons win games 2,3,5,and 6. Mark it down.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
If they can't score with them why did they outscore them 95-88 in their 4 game series during the regular season, dipshit? How the fuck do you even begin to respond to that?

Jesus, the Heat steal the first game and you're in full blown myopic mode.

Bottom line is the Heat shot the ball very well yesterday. They were what, like 63% from the field? And the Pistons STILL stayed in the game and almost pulled it out. If you think the Heat are going to continue to shoot 60%+ throughout the rest of the series, then you are seriously reaching.

Heat shot 56% and that is w/ D Wade and Shaq in foul trouble :meds: . If D Wade was in the game more than 27 minutes, the gamne wouldnt have been that close.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WolverineSteve wrote:Inside game was referring to low post on offense.
Whatever.

To me (and most other fans) "inside game" is what a palyer does...are you sitting down...when he's near the basket.

Good "inside" players generally tend to rack up lots of offensive boards.

I didn't see every second of the game last night, but I saw almost all of it....and maybe I just missed it, but the 90% of the game I saw, I don't believe the rubber on the bottom of Sheed's shoes EVER touched the paint. Not once. When dude switches to the other side of the floor, he actually jogs around the top of the key.

A 6'11" pussy. Same old Sheed, different uniform.

WS, you probably should have taken your lumps and let the "inside player" thing die after last night's game. Absolutely pathetic display by RaDweeb....and now that the Pistons/Sheed honeymoon is over, you'd better get used to having that dude's balls shrivel up when the games count the most.

And let's see....Joey D....isn't he that one guy who won a finals MVP against Portland, who routinely made the greatest offensive player in history his personal bitch, and was the one beacon of class in the worst gang of thugs ever assembled on a basketball court, who freaking carried the defense of the greatest defensive team of all-time, even though some loudmouthed little homosexual ran his mouth and tried to take credit from the guy who actually carried his team to the history books for all those years. That one guy who took particular delight when they moved the three-point line in for those couplefew years?

That Joey D...the one that tore our freaking hearts from our chests, yet Blazerfan STILL loves the guy, since he represents everything good about the game, and may possibly the most underrated player in NBA history?

That guy?

Never heard of him.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Dumars was Nailz. Glad to see him get into the HOF.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Chalk me up for one of those who refers to "inside game" as post play. Logically, "inside game" can certainly apply to rebounding, but I've never heard anyone use it in that context. Then again, I'm from the midwest, and we probably don't know as much about basketball as those in the pacific northwest do.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Cicero wrote: Heat shot 56% and that is w/ D Wade and Shaq in foul trouble :meds: . If D Wade was in the game more than 27 minutes, the gamne wouldnt have been that close.
On the flip side, had Wade not been in foul trouble, less minutes would have gone to Payton, Walker, etc. who played very well.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mgo,

I, too, when referring to "inside game", mean post play. Not just "in the paint" offensively or defensively.

Ben Wallace, to me, has jack shit of an "inside game" by my definition, but he can sure "crash the boards" on both sides of the court ala Dennis Rodman.

To each their own. Like Killian said, Rasheed CAN play inside. I've seen it. I've seen him take over a game from the inside. He just chooses not to.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Dins,
You said that I was the only one who thought Wallace had an inside/outside game. I produce no less than three different articles mentioning it (in about 5 minutes of searching). To boot, several posters agree with me, and you freeze up like the Fonz instead of admitting that you are wrong. Man up bro. I'll show you how it's done....

I was wrong last week in my assessment of Dirk Nowitzki. He a tougher sob than I ever gave him credit for. He is definately a superstar.

Oh yeah...that Joe D.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WolverineSteve wrote:admitting that you are wrong. Man up bro. I'll show you how it's done....

Well, here's the catch -- I'm right.

And I suggest you DO NOT continue down this road with Blazerfan, of all people.

So, would you care to remind me of which point in the game...quarter, minute, whatever...that Rasheed put so much as one foot in the lane?

Dude didn't touch the key after anyone missed their first free throww, for cripe's sake.

Sell your line of complete horseshit somewhere else...after 7+ years of Sheed, my horseshit supply is still well-stocked.

Not that it adresses the subject head-on directly, but food for thought, nonetheless:
Steve Kerr wrote:If there has been a question about Detroit's offense this season, it has been that it relies too heavily on jump shots, especially when Rasheed Wallace isn't on his game. In fact, the Pistons were near the bottom of the league in points in the paint.

Stats reallyreallyreally aren't backing up your claims. Neither is educated, informed commentary. But hey, at least you've got a few people who've never posted in the NBA forum before agreeing with you....at least you've got those diehards convinced.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Tonight, I think the Heat overcome a fast start by the Pistons and out play them in the 2nd half.

Heat 96-89
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Winner of tonight's game wins the series.

Detroit 90-79
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cicero wrote:Tonight, I think the Heat overcome a fast start by the Pistons and out play them in the 2nd half.
Maybe. I think it mostly depends on how energetic Shaq is feeling, and how much bullshit the refs let him pull. Early foul trouble, and this one gets away from Miami. If Shaq uses his energy, minutes, and fouls wisely, I think you're right.
WolverineSteve wrote:Winner of tonight's game wins the series.
Also a "maybe." But probably a pretty reasonable assesment. Maybe not, though. If Detroit wins, they're still out homecourt advantage. But it's not like Miami's homecourt is some Sacred Shrine of Invicibility, either.

I'm a bigtime, lifelong Western Conference fan (:shocker:), but this series is much more intriguing to me. Pretty cool matchup. Almost has a heroes vs villians feel to it. Media darlings against complete shitheads. Bobby vs JR Ewing.

OK....all of those analogies sucked.

What I'm really rooting for, is for Sheed to not just suffer a career-ender, but to have a heart attack and die on the floor...the world would be a much better place without that POS. Maybe a sniper could aim for that annoying freaking bullseye on his head. And if Zo gets caught in the crossfire...oh well.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh, forgive me -- if I'm wishing death upon people I've never met, I'd be beyond remiss if I didn't also toss in that wonderful guy who had to buy his way out of the sexual assault charges --

May Chauncey die a horrible death for our amusement, as well.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

RACK fucking Dins

:lol:
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

the west is the best
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

The Heat came out flat and you cant do that against a good team on the road. Shaq and D Wade got their points, but the rest of the team didnt play up to par. Pistons allowed the Heat to get back in the game. Oh well, the Pistons were sharper.

I think the Heat will come out fresh on Saturday and capitalize on more of the Pistons mistakes than they did tonight.
Killian

Post by Killian »

I don't think the Heat can score with the Pistons.

:meds:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

When the Pistons decide they really truly WANT to win the game, they won't lose. The difference between Miami and Detroit is, if Miami is playing at the top of their game, the Pistons will hang around, and may even win. If Detroit is at the top of their game, the Heat will get blown out.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Killian wrote:I don't think the Heat can score with the Pistons.

Yep, he decided to throw all of recent history between these two teams out the window, and based his entire claim on game 1 of the series. Brilliant stuff.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Killian wrote:I don't think the Heat can score with the Pistons.

Yep, he decided to throw all of recent history between these two teams out the window, and based his entire claim on game 1 of the series. Brilliant stuff.

Obviously when you lose you get out scored but the Heat were avging over a 100 points a game coming into the Finals and I stick by my word. If the Heat are clicking on offense, the Pistons cant keep up. If the Heat avg at least 94-95 points a game the rest of the way, they are going to win this series.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Cicero wrote:Obviously when you lose you get out scored but the Heat were avging over a 100 points a game coming into the Finals and I stick by my word. If the Heat are clicking on offense, the Pistons cant keep up. If the Heat avg at least 94-95 points a game the rest of the way, they are going to win this series.
First off, I doubt the Heat will average 94-95 points a game.

Second, you're on crack if you think Detroit can't score with the heat.

The Pistons haven't shot well in 7 games, and they still won a series and are tied with the Heat.

If the Pistons click, they will kick the holy hell out of the Heat.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I guess we will see. I am just not enamored w/ the Pistons since the All-Star break. Before the break they were unfreakingreal. But since, they havent been any better than Heat, Suns or Mavs.