Post a mad fact about your home town

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Fallbrook, CA

The Avocado Capital of the World

In fact, the annual Avocado Festival is this Sunday if anybody wants to come get stuffed on carney food and eat some Holy Guacamole

Olives were the original main crop here until around the 1920s or 1930s. Frank Capra and a few other Hollywood biggies used to own olive ranches. In the 60s and 70s avocado ranches became a popular tax write-off for doctors and dentists.

The "back" gate to Marine Corps Camp Pendelton is in the middle of town.

There used to be a railroad through Fallbrook (late 19th and early 20th centuries), a main north-south line connecting all the way south to National City and then going north through Temecula, with a connection west to the coast. It fell into the Santa Margarita river a couple of times,

and when they built Camp Pandelton around the time of WWII it lost its east-west connection. The only thing left is a crossing sign south of town and a few pieces of track.

One of the first Congressional Medal of Honor recipients, William Pittenger, moved here after the Civil War and became a preacher. He participated in what became known as "The Andrews Raid" or "The Great Locomotive Chase".

Tom Metzger, founder of the Aryan Nation lived here for a time before moving to a big house in Escondido. When he went broke from a lawsuit he moved back, from what I hear, and ekes out a living fixing old cars.
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

We've got a blue football field.....
get out, get out while there's still time
AJ
Irrelevant

Post by AJ »

Denver, CO.

We have the longest uninterrrupted commerical street in America - Colfax Avenue.

Our old airport (Stapleton) was named for a Klansman.
another satisfied Hardcrow customer
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Wolfman wrote:nothing beats two phony
pin up "photos" !!

might as well post cartoons guys !!
Well, I could go on about how East Rochester was also the childhood home of one Robert Trent Jones. Or about how his first full 18 hole course is only a half mile from where I grew up. But something told me that might be lost on this group.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Madison Wisconsin = "Parade Capital of the World"

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

From my hometown.
Wife accused of giving man lethal sherry enema
By RICHARD STEWART
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

LAKE JACKSON - Investigators say a Lake Jackson woman caused her husband's death by giving him a sherry enema, leading to alcohol poisoning. The enema caused his blood alcohol level to soar to 0.47 percent — almost six times the legal intoxication limit, a toxicology report showed.

Tammy Jean Warner, 42, was indicted on a charge of negligent homicide. She is also charged with burning the will of her husband, Michael Warner, a month before his death on May 21.

Michael Warner, a 58-year-old machine shop owner, had a long history of alcoholism, but couldn't ingest alcohol by mouth because of painful medical problems with his throat, said Lake Jackson police detective Robert Turner. The enema was a way he could become intoxicated without drinking alcohol, Turner said.

"I heard of this kind of thing in mortuary school in 1970, but this is the first time I've ever heard of someone actually doing it," Turner said.

Turner said police think Warner gave her husband at least two large bottles of sherry, which is stronger than wine, in the enema.

"We're not talking about little bottles here," Turner said, "These were at least 1.5 liter bottles."

Turner said police don't know if the victim had ever become intoxicated in that manner before the lethal incident.

Tammy Warner told police that she found her husband dead in their bed. Turner said she admitted giving him the sherry enema, but not to causing his death.

"A person drinking alcohol will usually pass out before getting a lethal dose," Turner said.

"But if you're getting it through an enema, you can pass out and still be ingesting more alcohol."

Tammy Warner surrendered to Lake Jackson police Monday and was released on $30,000 bond. She could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Neither Turner nor Brazoria County District Attorney Jeri Yenne would comment on the charge related to the will.

The indictment said providing him with alcohol and destroying the will constituted a "criminal episode."

Although Michael Warner may have agreed initially to the enema as a way to become intoxicated, Yenne said, "he was not a willing participant in something that would cause his death."

"He knew that it was very dangerous for him to have any form of alcohol and she knew it was very dangerous for him to have alcohol," Yenne said.

The couple's neighbors said they were surprised Wednesday to learn of the indictment.

John Criswell, 24, said the widow had mostly been away from the modest brown frame house at the end of the street since her husband died.

"She said she was scared to stay there by herself alone," Criswell said. "She said she'd been having trouble with his family."

The couple had been married about two years, police said.

"She asked me to keep an eye on the place," Criswell said. He said he last saw her about three weeks ago.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

RACK the dude as Captain Christopher Pike ........
get out, get out while there's still time
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Pittsburgh...onetime home of Dennard Summers. He's missing a great day today.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:He's missing a great day today.
As per usualm.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Denn was kinda all about shitty PGH weather. When it was nice out, like today, he was generally on a Toledo visit or something.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dreary and sussy.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

BSmack wrote:
pin up "photos" !!

Well, I could go on about how East Rochester was also the childhood home of one Robert Trent Jones. Or about how his first full 18 hole course is only a half mile from where I grew up. But something told me that might be lost on this group.
I get that reference, all right. But correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any golf courses in East Rochester. Come to think of it, East Rochester is barely the size of an 18-hole golf course.

Lotsa golf courses around East Rochester, though.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
BSmack wrote:
pin up "photos" !!

I get that reference, all right. But correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any golf courses in East Rochester. Come to think of it, East Rochester is barely the size of an 18-hole golf course.

Lotsa golf courses around East Rochester, though.
ER is a mile square. Just a bit larger than a 36 hole layout.

The course I was refering to was Midvale Country Club, which is just accross Irondequiot Creek from the house I grew up in. Technicaly it is in the Town of Perinton. But it was walking distance from my house. When I was in junior high I used to scarf range balls from Midvale.

Oak Hill, the course that Donald Ross built that inspired Jones in his career choice, and has hosted numberous major championships is not more than 5 miles away over in Pittsford.

Also, ER is the home of Northside Inn. When the PGA or LPGA comes to town, they all dine at the Northside. As well they should. The food is top notch.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

BSmack wrote:Also, ER is the home of Northside Inn. When the PGA or LPGA comes to town, they all dine at the Northside. As well they should. The food is top notch.
I've been there a few times myself, and no argument with that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Kansas City Kid
BANNED FAT RETARD

Post by Kansas City Kid »

Felix wrote:We've got a blue football field.....
Great Moments In Idaho History:

1850: Someone planted a potato

THE END

:lol:
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

We are just a bunch of fair weather pussies in my neighborhood. Rugged coastline doesn't really describe it, whoever wrote that is a topographically challenged pussy as well.

Coastal City situated along six miles of rugged coastline, 25 miles north of San Diego, 95 miles south of Los Angeles

Climate:
Temperature seldom falls below 40° or exceeds 85°. Average annual high temperature is 72 degrees. Yearly rainfall is 9-11 inches.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

Felix wrote:Image

RACK the dude as Captain Christopher Pike ........

:shock:

Rack :lol:

San Antonio.

Contains more Mexicans with ladders than ever before.
...and has much bode on Sacramento right about now.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Founded in 1857 as a colony of German farmers and vintners. Name means "Home by the (Santa Ana) River."

Anaheim was advertised as a model Klan city and was selected as the sight of a huge KKK rally that attracted about 20,000 people from all over California, after four Klansmen had been elected to the city council in 1924 as part of a slate secretly sponsored by the Klan. They served for 11 months before being ousted in a recall election.

Became nationally recognized (1/7/1945) when Mel Blanc, playing a train conductor at L.A.'s Union Station on Jack Benny's Radio Show, announced to Jack's entourage, “Train leaving on Track Five for Anaheim, Azusa and Cuc----amonga!” (The three stops, however, were not even on the same Santa Fe Railroad line.) Benny was later named honorary mayor af all three cities.

Was once known as the capital of the Valencia orange empire and the pre-war training grounds of Connie Mack’s Philadelphia Athletics.

Was second option to become home of Disneyland after Burbank denied Walt's request.

California's 10th-largest city.
"I see everything twice!"
Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Post by Risa »

Sudden Sam wrote: Mardi Gras actually started in Mobile in 1703 when it was a colony of French soldiers. After having survived a particularly nasty bout with yellow fever, they decided to celebrate, but since party favors were few and far between in the New World, the men opted to paint their faces red and just act crazy for a few hours. They must have had fun because it became an annual event.
That must have been some good shit they were on. :?
on a short leash, apparently.
chowd103
Eternal Scobode

Post by chowd103 »

Providence, Rhode Island

Everything Jack mentioned, plus the guy who painted G.Washington's mug which is now printed on most of your highest denomination was from there.

(I'll bet most of you thought Luther painted that.)

Plus, I most likely got stoned once when me and my buddies from the west end partook in a stoneout with a bunch of dudes from the triangle.

Not from lil' ol' Providence, btw...

VVVV
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Downingtown, PA - the diner scene from the original Blob movie is located and still operating here.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Jim, are you a Victory fan?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

BSmack wrote:
pin up "photos" !!

Another point you could have mentioned is that the East Rochester Central School District runs no buses. All students walk to school. IIRC, it is the only school district in this area for which that is true. And while I'd hesitate to say it's the only school district in the country of which that is true, ER is probably in the distinct minority in that regard.

Another fact about LeRoy: It was the home of Ingham University, which I believe was the first all-women's university in the U.S. The university no longer exists; today, what was the campus is now the home of the school district and the town's public library.

Btw, Euro, Nottingham figured rather prominently in the legend of Robin Hood, although it's sort of hard to piece out exactly what was historically accurate and exactly what was fiction.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Glendale, CA -

* Largest Armenian population, outside of Armenia, in the world
* Big Boy and Baskin Robbins started there
* Hometown of Eva Mendes

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What are we calling our 'hometown'? Is it the city we were born? By that definition, I was born in Battle Creek, MI...Cereal City and birthplace of WWE superstar Rob Van Dam.
hardcrow
Fingerpainter

Post by hardcrow »

I raped these from some fucking site....

Denver’s Colfax Avenue is the longest continuous street in the US.

Cheeseburger in paradise… Well, Denver anyway, which is the birthplace of one of America’s favorite sandwiches. Invented in 1935 by drive-in owner Louis Ballast, the cheeseburger has been a hot seller ever since. The restaurant was demolished long ago, but there’s a memorial plaque in its former location at 2776 North Speer Boulevard.

Affectionately called the “the Napa Valley of beer” by experts, Denver has more brewers per capita than any other city in the country, and Colorado is the second largest producer of beer in the US. The Adolph Coors Brewing Company in nearby Golden is recognized as the world's largest single-site brewing facility.

It’s not called the Mile High City for nothing! The purple row of seats at Coors Field and the 15th step on the west side of the Capitol building are the “mile markers” – both are exactly one mile above sea level. The altitude can sometimes be a little distressing to visitors, so experts recommend you drink plenty of water and stay away from alcohol for the first couple of days.

Sunny days are here again! Denver has over 300 days of sunshine annually, more than either San Diego or Miami.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

hardcrow wrote:Affectionately called the “the Napa Valley of beer” by experts, Denver has more brewers per capita than any other city in the country, and Colorado is the second largest producer of beer in the US.
Dinsdale ain’t gonna like hearing that.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote: Dinsdale ain’t gonna like hearing that.
No, Dinsdale is just going to roll his eyes at that factually incorrect bullshit.

As far as my hometown --

^^^Is not from Portland, OR, my birthplace. Nor is she from Lafayette, OR (hodunk town...sup, a certain poster here). From Lafayette, LA, from what I understand.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Dinsdale wrote:From Lafayette, LA, from what I understand.
Correct. If you really want to get specific, She's from Breaux Bridge, LA - the "Crawfish Capital of the World" which is just a a few miles outside of Laf. That is also the hometown to...

Image and Image

But who really gives a shit about them? :wink:
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

PSUFAN wrote:Jim, are you a Victory fan?
Yes a huge fan. I used to have a growler filled from their brewery at least 3x a month but haven't found the time to get over there recently.

Outstanding beer to say the least.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Jacksonville is the nation's largest city with 840 square miles.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

^^ I brought up that factoid while drinking beers with a friend at a bar a couple weeks ago, and he disagreed with me. We argued for about two minutes.
Last edited by MgoBlue-LightSpecial on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:What are we calling our 'hometown'? Is it the city we were born? By that definition, I was born in Battle Creek, MI...Cereal City and birthplace of WWE superstar Rob Van Dam.

Shoalzie,

You're in Vicksburg? What do you think of the place? You're on my itinerary for a motorcycle ride soon.

Vicksburg, Michigan (MI)...not Mississippi (MS). :wink:

If I was in Mississippi, that would better explain that whole cousin thing though, wouldn't it? :lol:
ND Funk Cake
Crack Whore

Post by ND Funk Cake »

Downey, California

Home of the oldest standing Mc Donalds. The second one ever built, and the first one was demolished. It is still a fully-functional restaurant, and also a museum of the history of Mc Donald's.

Home and birth place of singing duo The Carpenters...if you need 'em.

Home of one of the largest Rockwell plants back in the day. Most of the space shuttles were constructed there. The plant was later sold to Boeing who eventually closed it down. A large portion of it was torn down and turned into a large shopping mall, while the remaining large hangers are now home of Downey Studios. They have shot several large motion pictures there.

Original home of Metallica before they relocated to San Francisco.

Those are just some.

Sup ya'll?
After gnawing your girls snizz.....your face looks like a bulldog after eating a bowl of custard. - A.C. Crut
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Hartford, Ct. The Insurance City. Home to a number of large insurance companies such as Aetna, Travelers, The Hartford and a bunch more. Also home to Samuel Colt and the Colt firearms company. My highschool, Hartford Public is the 2nd oldest public highschool in the country.

Birplace of Katherine Hepburn.

Mark Twain lived a large part of his life in hartford. His home, modeled after a mississippi river steamboat is right down the street from Hartford high.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Van Plowboy
Jake

Post by Van Plowboy »

Moorhead, MN

1. Has the fookin coolest name of any city on the planet, hands-down.

2. Founded on September 22, 1871, it was named for William G. Moorhead, a director of the Northern Pacific Railway. Moorhead was officially incorporated in 1881-and later that same decade added electric, water, sewer, fire and police services. That's also when Moorhead developed a reputation as "Sin City," with more than 100 bars at a time when neighboring Fargo, N.D., did not allow the sale of alcohol.

3. Home of the Concordia College Cobbers, the Minnesota State University-Moorhead Dragons and the Moorhead High Spuds.

4. Birthplace of NHLers Jason Blake (New York Islanders) and Mark Cullen (Chicago Blackhawks).
Surf Iowa.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Blue Springs has won 2 of the last 5 Missouri Class 6A State Football Championships
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:The Hartford
All of my 401k belongeth to The Hartford, and they're doing a damn fine job with it.

I might actually see some of those numbers on paper someday, and by gawd, I'm going to be RICH then, I tell ya'.

As for Scotty, I see you working. Already grooming the boys towards another MO. State championship or two?

Big thumbs up. Go for it.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

ND Funk Cake wrote:Original home of Metallica before they relocated to San Francisco.

Jesus Christ that's an awful picture. Who's the midget in the Metalica shirt?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I think it's the real life beavis, or was it butthead in the metallica shirt? that knotted shirt just completes the "I'll kick your ass" motiff, don't it.

I am approximately the same age as those tools and I am pretty sure that I thought a rhinestone studded belt was gax, even in 1982. But then again I never did get the ridiculous rocker get ups of the time.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.