Western Conference Seedings

The Pro Hoopstahs

Moderator: Moorese

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Western Conference Seedings

Post by Mikey »

So, the Clippers are in the playoffs, which is astounding enough. But now the way it works out they are much better off losing one of their last two games to ensure a 6 seed than to try and get the 5 seed from Memphis. Here's why...

As #6 they play Denver in the first round, which is a #3 due to their first place finish in the powerhouse Northwest Div ('sup U&L). The Clippers get home court in this case because they have a better record than the Nuggetless. If they win out and the the #5 seed they play #4 seed Dallas, which has the third best record in the league.

Ponderous.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

The NBA playoff seeding system is assinine.

A team with 60 or 61 wins is going to have a lower seed than a team with 44-45 wins this year in the WC.

Great system, NBA. Nothing like rewarding winners of shitty conferences by having them play lower seeds than teams with 15 more wins in the first round.

Whomever came up with this seeding system must've been taking lessons from the BCS committee on playoff structure.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

If I were the Clips, I would sit everybody and tank the game. I would much rather play the Nuggets than the Mavs in the 1st Round.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

RadioFan wrote:The NBA playoff seeding system is assinine.

A team with 60 or 61 wins is going to have a lower seed than a team with 44-45 wins this year in the WC.

Great system, NBA. Nothing like rewarding winners of shitty conferences by having them play lower seeds than teams with 15 more wins in the first round.

Whomever came up with this seeding system must've been taking lessons from the BCS committee on playoff structure.
...or The NFL :meds:
Striving to be a victim of Polly's plagiarizing ways.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. And better yet, if the Clippers dive into the #6 spot, they get home-court advantage in the first round. So what's the fucking point of being seeded? The NBA just gave me another reason not to watch.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

L45B wrote:That's about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. And better yet, if the Clippers dive into the #6 spot, they get home-court advantage in the first round. So what's the fucking point of being seeded? The NBA just gave me another reason not to watch.
RACK!

Go Grizzlies!!
Dreams......Temporary Madness
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

The seeding system needs to be resolved. Everyone plays everyone at least twice.

Fuck the dumb shit and seed based on record alone.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dumbass wrote:
RadioFan wrote:The NBA playoff seeding system is assinine.

...or The NFL :meds:
Aren't there competition committee members within the NFL that are trying to do away with the Wild Card team with a superior record playing on the road to a shitty division winner?

There is movement like that in the NBA, but it won't be with SA and Dallas, sadly. It will take Boston/Philly/NY and or LA Lakers to change it. The NBA only cares about revenue, not a quality product, which is why it's a big dick in the eye every time the Spurs, a former ABA team, in a small market, wins the championship.

But I digress. Don't want to give Van too much inspiration for a sig bet and shit.
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Current odds to win western conference...

San Antonio Spurs 1-1
Phoenix Suns 2-1
Denver Nuggets 20-1
Dallas Mavericks 3-1
Memphis Grizzles 20-1
Los Angeles Clippers 18-1
Los Angeles Lakers 20-1
Sacramento Kings 20-1

:twisted:
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Diogenes wrote:Current odds to win western conference...

Los Angeles Lakers 20-1

Looks like a few of the ESPN "experts," ('sup Greg Anthony, B.J. Armstrong and Ken Shouler) have their heads up their asses when it comes to the WCF. Link

:meds:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Actually, I wasn't even paying attention to that as much as the top 4 seeds.

Not that I'm complaining....

ImageImage
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

I know, bro.

The nonstop Laker-honks just piss me off. As always. Can you imagine if they were a 3 or a 2 seed? Half of these asshats would be predicting them as NBA champs. Of course, if the playoffs were on NBC or CBS, most of them would have different "predictions" to begin with.

Btw, B.J. Armstrong earlier this season predicted it would be the Spurs and Miami in the Finals. So, it's no real surprise that idiot is chin up on the Fakers nuts.

And yes, I am pretty much convinced that if these idiots had their way, it would be an LA-Miami Finals.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

It's still going to be Spurs/Suns in the Western finals again this year.

But this time, you get to deal with the Mavs first.

ImageImage
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Diogenes wrote:It's still going to be Spurs/Suns in the Western finals again this year.
Yep. Unless Dallas beats my team. Possible, but unlikely, sans an injury.
But this time, you get to deal with the Mavs first.
Quit pimping the NBA, for its idioic seedings. :wink:

Btw, I believe the Spurs set a few records in their dismantling of Sacramento this afternoon/evening. Yeah, I know, it's a 7-game series, yada, fuckin, yada, but ...

I honestly hope the Suns can do the same with the Lackers.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

122-88 final.

Ron Artest, your thoughts?

ImageImage
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ImageImage
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni believes his team has pretty much seen every defense possible over its last two high-scoring seasons.

“People are not going to stop what we do, I do know that,” he said. “Now, we could stop ourselves. We could have an off game. It’s not going to be what they do. It’s ‘Can we perform at our level?’ and I think we can. Then we’re going to have to get some stops, get some rebounds and we’ll go a long ways in the playoffs.”

A similar statement could be made for Bryant, who averaged 42.5 points in the regular season series against Phoenix, including 51 points on April 7, a record for U.S. Airways Center (formerly America West Arena). But the Suns won that game 107-96.

Most of those points came against Bell, one of the most annoying defenders in the NBA.

Bell’s intense play irritates opponents and led to a technical foul against Bryant in that game.

Afterward, Bryant refused to even acknowledge Bell.

“I’ve got bigger fish to fry than Raja Bell,” Bryant said then. “Are you kidding?”

The Suns’ strategy was to get Bryant so consumed in taking his game to Bell that it would detract from the overall outcome of the contest.

“We were going to try to engage him in a 1-on-1 battle and let him shoot as many times (as) he wanted and hope that the rest of his team won’t be able to help, and that’s what happened,” Bell said. “In a series like this, you have to understand that and be professional enough to be able to deal with somebody who can score that much.”

The Suns wouldn’t mind if Bell got Bryant all worked up again.

“Hopefully I can get him engaged again and he wants to score 80 on me,” Bell said, “If he scores 80, maybe they win, but if he scores 60, maybe we do.”

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 391323.htm

ImageImage
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

I saw that Artest nonsense. Reminded me of KG's statements about "shocking the world," in 1999, when the Spurs played the 'Wolves, in the first round. Amazing how that comment didn't make it 'round the world.

Think it would have, had Kevin Garnett played for the Lakers or the Knicks?

Nah, not at all.

:meds: :meds:

RACK Bell. Typical Kobe ... err, I mean, cheating POS whom, when he can't put up, he shuts up. And typical silent scumbag, in that he won't give the other guy credit. He's made similar (non) statements regarding Bowen.

Only ... "Oh ... it's KOO-BEE, how can anyone criticize him, after all he's been through?"

:meds: :meds: :meds:

Unless they're playing the Spurs, I'm a Suns fan, especially in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I've got to say Spurs/Mavs should be a good series. And yeah, refusing to give the other team credit while you're compiling your excuses is pretty lame.

Speaking of lame, maybe the Mavs can fuck Manu's leg up again for us. They owe us for whacking JJ last year.

ImageImage
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I guess I don't see what the big deal is with the playoff seeding. All the talking heads were bitching about it like it was the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard of. As if this was the first time something like this happened. All the other major sports reward teams for winning their division. If anything, the NBA already concedes more than MLB, NHL, or NFL by giving the team w/ the better record home court even if they're a lower seed. If it were the NFL, a 12-4 wild card team would still play on the road against a 9-7 division winner. Something like this is bound to happen the more divisions you have. I just don't see why, after decades of using this type of playoff structure in various sports, all of a sudden everyone is pissed about it.
"Keys, woman!"