Arab control of ports?

The best of the best
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

War Wagon wrote:

After they buy the rights to control said operations, they get paid to run them. That's what you meant to say, right?
Look, I'm not the one operating under the belief that companies pay to provide services....that's not the way it works...I'd of thought somebody with you savvy business acumen would have known this......
I'm still wondering which part of DPW doesn't have a vested interest in overall port security....
You want to try that again in English.....

Why don't you explain to me why it is so imperative that Dubai Ports operate those ports to the point where Shrub won't even discuss it, and threatens to veto any attempt to block it.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

War Wagon wrote:Oh SNAP, a federal district judge boxes New Jersey's ears.

This isn't going well for the shrieking lunatics.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301/ap_ ... ty_lawsuit
Duh. It's in congress's hands. The judge made the right decision.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Serious question for mvscal ...

Would you feel the same about this issue if it was a Chinese state-run company purchasing the six ports?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Felix wrote: You want to try that again in English....
It was pretty plain. You said DPW doesn't have a vested interest in port security, you got smacked severely upside the head for uttering such nonsense. Don't blame me if you can only understand what it is you want to hear.
Why don't you explain to me why it is so imperative that Dubai Ports operate those ports to the point where Shrub won't even discuss it, and threatens to veto any attempt to block it.....
Because he's King lame duck George now, and doesn't give a flying fuck what shrinking violets like you think would be my best guess.

Rack him for that.
I hate sigs. But I lost a stupid fucking bet because a KC Paul lookalike and his sorry ass team were inferior to the greatness that is the Pittsburg Steelers.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... rts27.html
Critics of the deal have cited the UAE's history as an operational and financial base for the September 2001 hijackers. The U.S. government also questioned the UAE years ago about its possible ties to al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, according to the report by the independent commission that investigated the terrorist attacks. Critics also have noted that the UAE was one of three countries to recognize the Taliban government in Afghanistan before the U.S. overthrow in 2001.

"This was only 4 ½, five years ago that they were very close to bin Laden, they were supporting Taliban," King, who heads the House Homeland Security Committee, said on "Meet the Press." "And unless there's been a complete transformation, I have real concerns."
Aside from the very valid security concerns, there is the matter of the committee ignoring the law and attempting to sidestep the 45 day review process. It will hardly be a shocker when it is discovered that Bush and his cronies have a huge financial stake in this deal going through totally unchallenged. The Bush Presidency has consisted of little more than a group of well-connected thugs lining up better access to the trough for themselves.

Way to go, thugs. In order to further enrich yourselves, you're willing to shug at valid security concerns. We can only hope your greed is quickly slaked, and that you fuck off soon.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Aside from the very valid security concerns, there is the matter of the committee ignoring the law and attempting to sidestep the 45 day review process.
That review isn't mandatory, dumbfuck.
Actually, it certainly is, when there are security concerns involved, as there are here.

And spare me the rant about how there are no security concerns involved with ports. Not even Rove himself will try to make that rooster lay eggs.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

whatever happened to the "we're at war" concept? They certainly use it enough when they need more money for iraq.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

What happened was that they stood to make a lot of money - personally - if this deal went through without a hitch. Of course, they dodged the review because they knew that the American People (remember them, assholes?) would properly regard the deal as unsavoury.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

mvscal wrote:I was talking to the other dumbfuck...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Well...if the Coast Guard and a committee led by someone with a vested financial interest have OK'd the deal, by all means, let's not look at it too closely.

Sorry, no.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

a gaggle of preening Congressional douchebags manuevering for the midterms
You mean the ones that Rove suggested "oppose" the president on this issue? Very clever. They get to be cast in the role of Protectors, while they grease the wheels for the thing to go through.

At no point are the actual security needs of the American People being met in all of this. Clearly all that is quite beside the point to fervently cocksucking apologists like you.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:At no point are the actual security needs of the American People being met in all of this.
Maybe because this deal has no impact on the actual security needs of the American people. There are no new opportunities for Al Qaeda in this.
Except of course, for that pesky UAE connection to 9-11.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Would you feel the same about this issue if it was a Chinese state-run company purchasing the six ports?
It would trigger a Clinton flashback. He and Doc Detroit would poop their pants over it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Uncle Fester wrote: He and Doc Detroit would poop their pants over it.
I was accidentaly redirected to one of those web sites once.

:shock:

Not good.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:
mvscal wrote: Maybe because this deal has no impact on the actual security needs of the American people. There are no new opportunities for Al Qaeda in this.
Except of course, for that pesky UAE connection to 9-11.
Except of course that ridiculously distorted and exaggerated connection you mean?

Saddam Hussein had nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism, but the UAE is responsible for 9/11...
You have it backwards. Saddam hussein was not responsible for 9-11 but the UAE had quite a bit to do with terrorism.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

And your contribution was what?

Outstanding job, dumbfuck.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
upstart
Elwood

Post by upstart »

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/60414c4c-a95e- ... e2340.html

Bill Clinton likes the deal and got paid...time to
re-think this
Three time Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote: Believe it or not, people are paying attention to bullshit you idiots are spewing.
There-in may lie the problem.

I pay attention for the same reason I watch CNN...to see what new tricks the performing/gibbering dumbfucks have learned.

I laugh at the antics... they perform.

I laugh some more, they keep performing.

The attention whoring bitches can't resist the attention, so they keep on dancing.

The problem is only that the circus act monkeys have begun to take themselves so seriously, they think they have the right to vote.

Not that any of them would actually gasp take the time and trouble to vote (s'up Bushy?) if given the chance, but they'd threaten to.

Nope, the monkeys are quite content to bitch and moan incessantly whilst real people make decisions for them.
I hate sigs. But I lost a stupid fucking bet because a KC Paul lookalike and his sorry ass team were inferior to the greatness that is the Pittsburg Steelers.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

War Wagon wrote:I pay attention
Since you've contributed virtually nothing to this thread, other than a contradiction, of course, you might want to stick to inferiority complexes regarding OU, or pileon threads.

This issue isn't just about ports and security and "it's just business." It's also about symbolism. Many Americans simply don't like the concept of a corporation owned by a non-democratic state -- one in which two of of the Sept. 11 hijackers came through -- operating U.S. ports.

As mvscal has argued, there very well be no security risks following this transaction whatsoever. But that doesn't change the symbolism of the deal. Nor does it change the fact that many Americans don't like the idea of state-owned companies running any ports, including the ones already run by China, especially if those states aren't democracies. Many people didn't even realize this, until of course, this story was picked up -- first by talk radio, then by the wire services after members of Congress from both sides came out firing against it.

The issue of security may be a tempest in a tea pot with this particular deal, but a discussion about the symbolism of non-democratic, state-owned companies running ports or other key points of real estate in the U.S. is more than worthy of an honest discussion/debate.

And btw, Saddam had the same ties to terror as the UAE does now -- namely funding of Hamas -- for those of you keeping score.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Moreover, most Americans don't like to have absolutely no say whatsoever in these types of decisions. They don't like the Rove administration to sidestep laws that are meant to offer better security, and to be told that it's none of their business. They don't like watching the Cheneys And UAE stooges of the world getting grooved softball after softball. They don't like it when they are misled and exploited by the cabal that infests the executive branch - and to hear them act offended when they are called on it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

RadioFan wrote: Since you've contributed virtually nothing to this thread, other than a contradiction, of course, you might want to stick to inferiority complexes regarding OU, or pileon threads.
Doh! RF breaks out the heavy artillery!

I'm shattered. Really.

The only symbolism that matters here starts with $6.8 billion and ends with e pluribus unum.

But by all means, keep flapping your gums about security implications and conspiracy theories if that's what makes your pussy wet.

This topic should have gone all of about two pages. 38 posts for the hand wringing cunts, 2 for the guys handing out the sponges.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

War Wagon wrote:The only symbolism that matters here starts with $6.8 billion and ends with e pluribus unum.

But by all means, keep flapping your gums about security implications and conspiracy theories if that's what makes your pussy wet.

This topic should have gone all of about two pages. 38 posts for the hand wringing cunts, 2 for the guys handing out the sponges.
Try reading the thread sober next time, cunt.

Or are you saying that the leadership in the House and Senate are now suddenly all in favor of this deal, not to mention the American public? Last time I checked, it was American public by a wide, veto-proof margin.

Hint: The House and Senate are controlled by the GOP, not the Dems.

And WW, try rereading my last post, fucking Read Across America teacherless mensa.
RadioFan wrote:As mvscal has argued, there very well be no security risks following this transaction whatsoever.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

8 out of every 10 Americans don't like Cheney or the job he's doing.

7 out of every 10 don't like Bush or the job he's doing.

I expect those videos showing Bush lying to the American public about Katrina will push him further down the list.

The fact we're stuck with these jokers for several more years makes you wonder how low they can possibly go.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mister Bushice wrote:8 out of every 10 Americans don't like Cheney or the job he's doing.

I expect those videos showing Bush lying to the American public about Katrina will push him further down the list.

The fact we're stuck with these jokers for several more years makes you wonder how low they can possibly go.
I'm expecting the GOP to tell Bush to stay the fuck away from any areas with close congressional/senatorial races this fall. :lol:
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

PSUFAN wrote:Moreover, most Americans don't like to have absolutely no say whatsoever in these types of decisions. They don't like the Rove administration to sidestep laws that are meant to offer better security, and to be told that it's none of their business.
Actually, it was a Democratic Congress, in 1998, I believe, which passed the assinine law enabling this secret group, CFIUS.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/internat ... on-florio/

Simply shocking that they have a press release at the top of their page with the title "CFIUS Welcomes Dubai Ports World’s Announcement to Submit to New Review"

Like we're all supposed to sploog over that Johnny-come-lately (no pun intended) bullshit.
Last edited by RadioFan on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mister Bushice wrote:8 out of every 10 Americans don't like Cheney or the job he's doing.

You took a poll?

Sucks for you then that this president doesn't govern by poll numbers, other than the ones he got in the last election.

Amazing how that works. You go vote, the guy you wanted get's elected.

As opposed to not voting and being a malcontent for all eternity.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

War Wagon wrote:

You took a poll?

Sucks for you then that this president doesn't govern by poll numbers, other than the ones he got in the last election.

Amazing how that works. You go vote, the guy you wanted get's elected.
Whitey, if you're gonna post here, you have to be a little less of a moron.

"You go vote, the guy you vote for gets elected"? :roll:

Try this poll on for size. It might be wakey wakey time for Bush and co.
Poll: Bush Ratings At All-Time Low

NEW YORK, Feb. 27, 2006

(CBS) The latest CBS News poll finds President Bush's approval rating has fallen to an all-time low of 34 percent, while pessimism about the Iraq war has risen to a new high.

Americans are also overwhelmingly opposed to the Bush-backed deal giving a Dubai-owned company operational control over six major U.S. ports. Seven in 10 Americans, including 58 percent of Republicans, say they're opposed to the agreement.

In a separate poll, two out of three Americans said they do not think President Bush has responded adequately to the needs of Katrina victims. Only 32 percent approve of the way President Bush is responding to those needs, a drop of 12 points from last September’s poll, taken just two weeks after the storm made landfall.

Mr. Bush's overall job rating has fallen to 34 percent, down from 42 percent last month. Fifty-nine percent disapprove of the job the president is doing.

For the first time in this poll, most Americans say the president does not care much about people like themselves. Fifty-one percent now think he doesn't care, compared to 47 percent last fall.

Just 30 percent approve of how Mr. Bush is handling the Iraq war, another all-time low.

By two to one, the poll finds Americans think U.S. efforts to bring stability to Iraq are going badly – the worst assessment yet of progress in Iraq.

Even on fighting terrorism, which has long been a strong suit for Mr. Bush, his ratings dropped lower than ever. Half of Americans say they disapprove of how he's handling the war on terror, while 43 percent approve.

In a bright spot for the administration, most Americans appeared to have heard enough about Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting accident.

More then three in four said it was understandable that the accident had occurred and two-thirds said the media had spent too much time covering the story.

Still, the incident appears to have made the public's already negative view of Cheney a more so. Just 18 percent said they had a favorable view of the vice president, down from 23 percent in January.

Americans were evenly split on whether or not Cheney's explanation of why there was a delay in reporting the accident was satisfactory.
The numbers speak for themselves. Yes we're stuck with them, but not for ever.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

What's more - wait until the public begins to understand what George is up to in India.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Ouch. The dummy is buying short term success at the expense of a future nuclear winter.

But lets leave that for another thread.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

mvscal wrote:

Who gives a fuck? He isn't running for reelection, idiot.
And I'm sure those looking to get the GOP nomination don't give a fuck, either. :lol:
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:

Who gives a fuck? He isn't running for reelection, idiot.
Yeah it doesn't matter at all.

sin,

The 50.9% or so who elected him.

AND his party who is relying on some sort of trail of bread crumbs they can peck at towards re-election.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Mister Bushice wrote:AND his party who is relying on some sort of trail of bread crumbs they can peck at towards re-election.
Not if they stand up against this deal.

If not ...

Eee pobrecito

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

RF is usually money, but a couple of major gaffes on this page . . .
RadioFan wrote:And btw, Saddam had the same ties to terror as the UAE does now -- namely funding of Hamas -- for those of you keeping score.
Two of the 9/11 hijackers were from the UAE. None were from Iraq. Tell me you knew.
RadioFan wrote:Actually, it was a Democratic Congress, in 1998, I believe, which passed the assinine law enabling this secret group, CFIUS.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/internat ... on-florio/
The Republicans have controlled Congress since 1994, except that the Democrats controlled the Senate for 17 days in January 2001 and again following Jeffords' defection from the Republican Party in July (I believe) 2001 until January 2003. Again, tell me you knew.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

It's not about money, it's about not being able to win elections.

The idea that folks deeply offended about the Bush Administration bugging Al Queda supporters are terribly concerned over security is asinine, they are just hoping enough right-wing kooks go Perotista or stay home from the polls over this. I guess Saudi Arabia and Pakistan aren't oiur allies in the WOT either. Bottom line this 'scandal' is bullshit, the UAE is a vital ally, we have the fucking Chinese running ports in this country and Hugh says it all...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Diogenes wrote:I guess Saudi Arabia and Pakistan aren't oiur allies in the WOT either.
They are playing both sides against each other. They are not true allies.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

BSmack wrote:
Diogenes wrote:I guess Saudi Arabia and Pakistan aren't oiur allies in the WOT either.
They are playing both sides against each other. They are not true allies.
Bullshit.

They were prior to 9/11, when they could get away with that shit. Just like UAE. That was then, this is now, and it's not just 'the economy, stupid'.

Deal with it.

ImageImage
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Not really, as BSmack pointed out. But while we're on the subject of allies in the War on Terror . . .

France, Germany and Canada should be our allies in the War on Terror, as should all peace-loving nations. The phrase "War on Terror" is at least partly metaphorical, in that military action alone will not defeat terror. Intelligence is a very important component to the War on Terror, and effective intelligence requires collaboration among all peace-loving nations. Unfortunately, W's my-way-or-the-highway approach has pissed off so many other nations that that is unlikely to happen.

Your boy screwed the pooch on this one, and badly.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Not really, as BSmack pointed out.

Yes really, as I corrected.
Terry in Crapchester wrote:France, Germany and Canada should be our allies in the War on Terror, as should all peace-loving nations.
France and Germany had conflicting agendas, namely being Sadaam's ally in the Graft for Oil program.

And Canada is still irrelevant.

ImageImage
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Diogenes wrote:Image
Got it.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

This thread is getting longer than the "fuck thread"...and with just as much depth.....
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.