Toyota comes to NASCAR Nextel Cup in 2007

Please donate to the War Wagon memorial A/C fund.

Moderator: War Wagon

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Toyota comes to NASCAR Nextel Cup in 2007

Post by War Wagon »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote: NIIIIIICE job of selling out, Brian France. You just alienated 90% of the old school fans of your sport with this deal.
90%? I doubt that, but if so, count me among the 10% who aren't tripping out over this move. It was inevitable. GM and now Ford are cutting about 30,000 jobs each. Neither has enough cayshe to just keep pouring it into NASCAR R&D indefinitely. Toyota will make the racing more competitive and balanced.

I'm not thrilled by the move, don't get me wrong. But NASCAR will survive.
I hate sigs. But I lost a stupid fucking bet because a KC Paul lookalike and his sorry ass team were inferior to the greatness that is the Pittsburg Steelers.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

This just in from Jack Roush...

"If NASCAR manages to get in front of Toyota and tell them what they want to do and enforce it, they'll be the first sanctioning body that ever did that,"

Seems like Jack Roush doesn't have a lot of nice things to say about Brian France's decisions as of late. Am I the only one that is seeing the beginning of a CART-IRL split happening with NASCAR?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Toyota has been in NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series for what?...3 full seasons now?

you didn't think that it would stop there...surely you didn't.

nothing much to worry about here....really.

think about it.

1. Bill Davis Racing is the Flagship Team.

Wuuuuuuuuaaaad Burton was the most successful driver for said team. He no longer has an employer (as far as i know).

2. Michael Waltrip. he will Drive for BDR this year; then, start his own NASCAR Toyota Team. If he has the Napa Sponsorship behind it too...well....that gives Toyota their 1st amt. of CRED? Or, will it be the Aaron's rent to own DREAM Rice BURNIN' Machine?

Waltirp has fielded his own BUSCH Series Team for about a decade with modest success.

3. Red Bull Racing. who? i read the yahoo page about who was hired to be in charge...i'm sorry. i don't know who this guy is.

how FAST can Toyota have success?

nothing likely.....early.

how fast can one of the BIG 3 no longer have the $$$$ to back NASCAR?????

looks like that day is coming sooner than we would like.

imagine...i take a Roady in about 10 years and meet up with Wagon and Paul. we go out to Kansas Motorspeedway and watch these little fucking cars with Mufflers sticking out of their ass-ends...sounding like a swarm of bumble~bees going around the Track.

Booogerty Boogerty Boogerty...lets Go RICEin' BoooyyyyEEEEZE!!!!!!

at least Wagon and I will have Beer.

WAR Until NASCAR changes the RULE that A Manufacturer MUST HAVE A V-8 Engine CURRENTLY in PRODUCTION to COMPETE in the Series....there is nothing to really worry about.
January 1, 2010....we're having DUCK for Dinner...
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

True Nascar fans, rednecks and those with common sense will still watch Nascar. Paul will have his super size meltdown over it and hopefully not grace this forum with his "Toyota tantrums."

Why the Toyota hate? I'm a Chevy girl but would get my kid a used Toyota over a Chevy any day. They last longer and have a better reputation for being dependable. I wouldn't be too scared of the competition in a Nascar race though.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
trev wrote:True Nascar fans, rednecks and those with common sense will still watch Nascar. Paul will have his super size meltdown over it and hopefully not grace this forum with his "Toyota tantrums."

Why the Toyota hate? I'm a Chevy girl but would get my kid a used Toyota over a Chevy any day. They last longer and have a better reputation for being dependable. I wouldn't be too scared of the competition in a Nascar race though.
People like you are EXACTLY why cars and trucks cost so damn much. I'd much rather drive a Ford or Chevy that breaks down more than a fucking Toyota or Honda because I KNOW that by owning one I didn't contribute to costing a fellow American (or MYSELF) his/her goddamn JOB.
That's not exactly true Paul.

Give this a good read.
Survival is Job One
A Register-Guard Editorial
Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Just six years ago, one out of every four cars sold in the United States was made by the Ford Motor Co. Now it's one in six. That explains why Ford will lay off 30,000 workers and close 14 factories over the next six years. The problems confronting Ford and other U.S. automakers are reflexively blamed on foreign competition - but the real problem lies closer to home, in the shortsightedness of executives and policy-makers.

Foreign companies now claim 40 percent of the U.S. market for cars and trucks, but many vehicles with Japanese or German nameplates are actually made in the United States. While Ford is cutting 30,000 jobs and General Motors announced two months ago that it would cut a similar number, Toyota is opening a new truck plant in Texas and Nissan may expand a plant in Mississippi. Foreign automakers employ 60,000 workers in North America, and their numbers are going up.

Foreign automakers' ability to profitably manufacture vehicles in the United States is good news, and not just for the workers employed making them - it also undercuts the notion that U.S. manufacturing plants are at an inherent disadvantage. The companies that are gaining ground against Ford and GM are proving that the relatively high cost of American labor and the burden of employer-provided health insurance do not necessarily spell the end for the U.S. auto industry.

American car companies do have a labor cost structure that puts them at a disadvantage. The foreign companies pay less, hire younger workers who are cheaper to insure, and locate their plants in states with weak protections for organized labor. Ford will continue paying many laid-off workers under contracts negotiated in a period when large-scale downsizing was not anticipated. Its foreign competitors don't carry burdens of that sort.

But American automakers have tried to gain similar advantages. GM's Saturn plant in Tennessee was envisioned as a Japanese-style manufacturing enterprise, with a work force trained in teamwork and a location away from the auto industry's heartland in the upper Midwest. Yet GM starved its Saturn division while the company poured resources into making and marketing sport utility vehicles. The SUVs were profitable - but when buyers went looking for more fuel efficient sedans, GM wasn't ready for them.

Ford hinted that it might launch a Saturn-style project in the next few years, attempting to build low-cost, high-mileage cars at a new location in the United States. Ford has gone further than GM in the development of gas-electric hybrid engines for some of its vehicles, but it, too, allowed foreign competitors to dominate what appears to be an emerging market.

The blame can't be laid entirely at automakers' door. Over the past decade, Ford and GM have responded to the demands of the U.S. market - demands that were shaped by low gasoline prices and lax mileage standards. It's as though the United States set out to craft policies that would ensure the short-term profitability and long-term failure of a primary industry. Ford lost $1.55 billion in North America last year, but earned a profit worldwide through the sale of smaller, more economical vehicles in Europe and Asia.

The U.S. auto industry will not survive by attempting to catch up with the Japanese, the Koreans and, soon, the Chinese. It must leapfrog ahead of them. Automakers must design and build vehicles for the 21st century, and they must not be impeded by 20th century tax, energy and transportation policies. If companies from other countries can make a profit on cars built in the United States, the American auto industry should be able to do the same.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2006/ ... on=opinion
Long story short, if you want to see American car companies do better, the voters down in the Bible belt and NASCAR Nation need to support tougher labor laws in their home states. Otherwise, foriegn investors will look to your states as cheap labor pools to use against other American companies and the workers who work for them.

But, even more important is that the American companies need to get ahead of the curve when it comes to fuel standards and polution controls. Every time there is an upturn in the price of oil, American car makers go in the tank. Is this a coincidence? Fuckin A Detroit, bite the bullet already and make some hybrid cars worth talking about. Hell, you could start with NASCAR. Just think of the advantage a superior performing hybrid would have in NASCAR competion alone. You could turn the racing world upside down if you could manage to trim off one pit stop a race from your race plan.

Anyway, just sayin that Toyota isn't necessarily the devil.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote: I'd much rather drive a Ford or Chevy that breaks down
:lol: :lol:
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
trev wrote:True Nascar fans, rednecks and those with common sense will still watch Nascar. Paul will have his super size meltdown over it and hopefully not grace this forum with his "Toyota tantrums."

People like you are EXACTLY why cars and trucks cost so damn much. I'd much rather drive a Ford or Chevy that breaks down more than a fucking Toyota or Honda because I KNOW that by owning one I didn't contribute to costing a fellow American (or MYSELF) his/her goddamn JOB.
...and you wonder why I voted for you..............dumbass

RACK Toyota
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Well considering it took Toyota all of what 2 years to start winning in IRL and F-1 series I figure it takes about the same in NASCAR and well more power to em. Not to mention any driver that signs with them. V8 engine no problem..Toyota and Nissan make em for their trucks..Hell Nissan makes the biggest most powerful stardard of any. Gimme a Tundra over a F-150 anyday not to mention wait one year when Toyota gets their San Antonio,TX plant going and the next gen Toyota truck hits the streets and really starts to hurt Ford and Chevy where they make the money to keep the lights on.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I hate to break this to y'all, but none of the auto manufacturers have diddly squat to do with the actual machine parts used in any of the cars that have the auto manufacturer's names on them.

Tell me you living in the 70's knew. :sad:
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.