Stoops to Kansas City?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

We keep hearing the same shit in California about PC. I don't know Stoops all that well, 'cept that he's good, but he comes accross as a guy who would be more suited to the NFL than PC.

Do you think he'd take the offer? Do you think UO would be able to do enough to make him stay?
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Most excellent Christmas present to Longhorns everywhere! :lol:
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Re: Stoops to Kansas City?

Post by Moby Dick »

Believe the Heupel wrote::mad:

I guess that's the buzz in KC is that Vermeil is going to retire after this year and KC is going to go after Stoops with "can't refuse" kind of money.

Every f'ing year...Trojan fan I know you feel my pain now.

ESPN was talking that Herm Edwards would be the next coach....
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

I think Pete C will be #1 guy to take over St.Louis Rams. The offense is there, defensively, they need someone who can bring in a Defensive coord to shut teams down, not play,"bend but not break".

Remember, Pete was #1 choice for Rams job till Dicky called Georgia to acquire about the opening. Rest is history for Lamb fans.

I have said this for close to 2 years, if he wanted the job before, i'm sure he'd want the chance again. it's not like he's walking into the Texans situation. Still some very good players for the Lambs.

No way Joe Vitt keeps the head coaching job.

Also, Shaw works out of Los Angelas, and setting up meetings with Petey would not be a very difficult problem. And you know they have chatted in past or even in recent about life, football, and everything inbetween!
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Herm's the man. He will turn around KC's DEf like Dungy did in Indy.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
Adelpiero wrote:I think Pete C will be #1 guy to take over St.Louis Rams. The offense is there, defensively, they need someone who can bring in a Defensive coord to shut teams down, not play,"bend but not break".
Not that I'm trying to sell the guy for the job, but Stoops was pretty well-respected for his abilities as a DC before he became a head coach.

i'm not a lambs fan, but Either coach would be a huge upgrade from Martz. Martz can run an offense from the booth, coaching a ballgame, hell no!
Vitt is a players coach, ball of fire, but guys like him and Kiffin get passed up for the next big name or touted HC, or bad retreads!
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

I would love to see the Chiefs take Herm Edwards. He's a horrible game manager and makes no in-game adjustments. Great in front of the microphone, a dipshit on game day.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

If PC leaves USC I doubt he'd do so unless the gig was in California. His wife is from Manhattan Beach. They live in Manhattan Beach.

And he's from NorCal which, if you listen to m2ool, gives Kal 'bode over USC.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Well fuck you too then :lol:

I've actually heard this line of thinking from some peeps I know that are connected to the program. His wife is really happy to be back and California and doesn't want to leave.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Well fuck you too then :lol:

I've actually heard this line of thinking from some peeps I know that are connected to the program. His wife is really happy to be back and California and doesn't want to leave.
LA Saints?
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:If PC leaves USC I doubt he'd do so unless the gig was in California. His wife is from Manhattan Beach. They live in Manhattan Beach.
If you realized how much you sound like Gate fan you'd be shocked right now.
I'll vouch for that. Anyone who thinks "my coach would never go to teh NFL" is just asking for it. The money and prestige are double and triple that of the college ranks. There are only what.....32 NFL Head Coaching in the world.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I think Pete is pretty content on staying at USC til his kids get through the school. He has said all the things that would make you think that he is happier at USC than he was at any of the NFL jobs he had, not sure his enthusiasm transfers over to a bunch of Pros.
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Degenerate wrote:I would love to see the Chiefs take Herm Edwards. He's a horrible game manager and makes no in-game adjustments. Great in front of the microphone, a dipshit on game day.
You sure you're not talking about Ray Nagin?
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

SoCalTrjn wrote: He has said all the things that would make you think that he is happier at USC than he was at any of the NFL jobs he had, not sure his enthusiasm transfers over to a bunch of Pros.
What's he supposed to say......"I wish I had a NFL job...."

They always tell you how happy they are here and they would never leave. Until, 4-5 million bones is dumped in their lap. But no, Pete doesn't care about money just happiness.

Do you know how fucking stupid that sounds?

OU fans scream every year that Stoops is happy and he's "a college coach". Sure.....if he has an ego like every other coach then being tested at the highest level is of interest.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Stoops? Who the fuck is this Stoops person that you speak of?

Not even on the radar as far as KC head coach and I'm concerned.

Al Saunders is the man.

Hey, K-State needs a coach...
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Any rumors of Bill Callahan getting another shot in the NFL? Hey, Dennis Erickson, Dave Wannstadt, and Norv Turner got second shots, why not Bill?

Anything at all?

A nibble?

Shit

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:Stoops? Who the fuck is this Stoops person that you speak of?

Not even on the radar as far as KC head coach and I'm concerned.

Al Saunders is the man.

Hey, K-State needs a coach...
Peterson isn't going to allow Al Saunders to get the job. I also am pretty damn sure Stoops is safe as I don't ever see Lamar allowing a college coach to come in and take over. Herm Edwards ends up with the job.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I don't want to hire Stoops. This is an organization that is headed for rough times ahead. We need an NFL coach, not a college coach to come in. We're headed for rebuilding with this team having so many veterans. Trent Green is on the way down, Priest's career may be over, Gonzalez is getting up there in age, the O-line has quite a few old timers, the secondary is old, etc.... This job looks a lot more attractive than it really is. Whoever KC hires is going to have a lot of work to do.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

T REX wrote: I'll vouch for that. Anyone who thinks "my coach would never go to teh NFL" is just asking for it. The money and prestige are double and triple that of the college ranks. There are only what.....32 NFL Head Coaching in the world.
Money, yes. Prestige, I don't agree.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I agree with Killian. Off the top of your head, name me the legendary NFL head coaches of all-time. Now, off the top of your head, name me those that are considered legendary college head coaches. There are more active legends in college than there are in the history of the NFL.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Killian wrote:
T REX wrote: I'll vouch for that. Anyone who thinks "my coach would never go to teh NFL" is just asking for it. The money and prestige are double and triple that of the college ranks. There are only what.....32 NFL Head Coaching in the world.
Money, yes. Prestige, I don't agree.
On prestige, I suppose the answer is "it depends." Not all college jobs are equal. The same goes for pro jobs.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Btw, JON, I thought you were a Bears fan. Now you're a Chiefs fan? :meds:
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I doubt Stoops leaves but if he does, its because he has created a monster of a program that is hard to live up to. If he walks away now he still is a legend. If he endures a couple more losses to
Texas that will diminish his mistique as a coach.

Thats the one thing that I could see driving him to the NFL.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Vito Corleone wrote:I doubt Stoops leaves but if he does, its because he has created a monster of a program that is hard to live up to. If he walks away now he still is a legend. If he endures a couple more losses to

You think he is a legend in Oklahoma if he walks away now? :lol:

He will be remembered slightly better than Fairbanks if he left to this morning
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I don't think the Mary Kay cosmetic market is strong enough in KC for Mrs. Stoops to continue her flourishing career. :wink:
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Vito Corleone wrote:I doubt Stoops leaves but if he does, its because he has created a monster of a program that is hard to live up to. If he walks away now he still is a legend. If he endures a couple more losses to

So you're thinking that Stoops might leave because he's scared of Texas?

Pardon me, but I think I just shit myself laughing.
No I think he leaves because he knows that there is no way he can live up the the legend he has created. Texas will win again next year and then the rumbling is going to start.

He has done a crappy job of replacing his assistants and I don't see you guys doing much better next season than you did this year especially considering how many seniors you are losing. Leaving right now is a great move for him but two bad years in a row would tarnish his legend. He knows this and that is why if he makes a move it is this year. Now if he doesn't then I expect him to stay about 2 or 3 more years because that is when you guys will be back on top and Texas will be where you are now, breaking in a new QB and replacing a ton of talent.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Vito Corleone wrote:

So you're thinking that Stoops might leave because he's scared of Texas?

No I think he leaves because he knows that there is no way he can live up the the legend he has created. Texas will win again next year and then the rumbling is going to start.
I stopped here. :lol:
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

In case that husband-killing slut that owns the Rams reads this board, I think Pete Carroll would be a great coach...and who knows, he may even be willing to go Dieter Brock on your stinky, wrinkled, festering, gaping, cesspool of a cunt....

Just trying to help...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

SunCoastSooner wrote:He will be remembered slightly better than Fairbanks if he left to this morning
If he leaves now, he will have left the program in better shape than Bozo the Switzer left it. Just sayin'.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:He will be remembered slightly better than Fairbanks if he left to this morning
If he leaves now, he will have left the program in better shape than Bozo the Switzer left it. Just sayin'.
You think we have more talent now than in 1989 when Barry Switzer left? WTF man are you on drugs? Gary Gibbs was still able to go with only three losses a season for 3 straight years after Barry left. He just couldn't beat texass and Nebraska.

Dewell Brewer, Mike Gaddis, Tink Collins, Stacey Dillard, ect. ect. ect.

There was every bit as much talent left when Barry left as there is tommarow morning in Bud Wilkenson House.

We were going to get probation eventually regardless of what we did. The NCAA had a hard on for Oklahoma like that of an elephant after we embarressed them in federal court. Your welcome by the way for us taking the bullet for the rest of the NCAA football instituitions. Especially since Georgia and Notre Dame pussed out on us in the proceedings.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:
Believe the Heupel wrote: So you're thinking that Stoops might leave because he's scared of Texas?

Your a dumbass if you don't think Texas is going to go into Dallas and kick the sooners teeth in. They have just about everything coming back on both sides of the ball including Vince.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

On a slightly different tangent than this Stoops thing I've been wondering the same thing about ol' Petey Carroll...

If he wins it this year how tempting would it be to do an Elway or an MJ and go out on top with his wrist cocked and the NBA Three Peat won on his final shot as an NBA player? (Of course MJ wasn't wired the same as Elway so he couldn't leave well enough alone, but you get the idea...)

Seriously, man, it's going to be damn difficult to keep living up to his own legend once this ride finally ends and wouldn't it feel incredible to simply take this last one and then go out on top...

I'd sure be tempted. Bare minimum I'd look long and hard after winning this one...

"Pardner, my job is done here...", and I'm outta there, my legacy golden.

Next, because I'm maybe too young to give this shit up entirely, I sift through the ensuing NFL offers and I grab myself some really high paying gig that'll be low pressure/high challenge. Grab the Packers or Lions gig and see if maybe I can't add to my legacy by restoring somebody like that to some semblance of competitiveness. Complete my coaching resume by doing something in the NFL before I retire to my Fox tv analyst gig and my island mansion in the Florida keys...

Sounds pretty good to me. I sure wouldn't want to stick around long enough to be there when USC inevitably begins losing again to Notre Dame and UCLA...
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

TheJON wrote:I don't want to hire Stoops. This is an organization that is headed for rough times ahead. We need an NFL coach, not a college coach to come in.
Who are you again?

Oh yeah, I guess it's Chief Owner, this week.

Fucking tard.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Vito Corleone wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote: No I think he leaves because he knows that there is no way he can live up the the legend he has created. Texas will win again next year and then the rumbling is going to start.
3 of 5 offensive lineman leaving, Aaron Harris, Ced Griffen, and Michael Huff are all gone. Killbrew can't play Strong and Mike next year at the same time which means that Texass has to find itself another LB who can play every down.

Oklahoma has the vast majority of it's team returning. We have been playing with a third and fourth string Defensive end since the Tulsa game. We will be scary deep on the defensive line, scary. Other than that we have just three kids on the D depth chart who are even Juniors much less Seniors. Our Offense has all the current starters except Runnels, Joseph, and a couple of Oline 2nd stringers coming back.

You're right there is no hope that the 34 Freshman and sophmores on our two deep will have improved any by next year.
Your a dumbass if you don't think Texas is going to go into Dallas and kick the sooners teeth in. They have just about everything coming back on both sides of the ball including Vince.
:meds:
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Vito Corleone wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote: No I think he leaves because he knows that there is no way he can live up the the legend he has created. Texas will win again next year and then the rumbling is going to start.

3 of 5 offensive lineman leaving, Aaron Harris, Ced Griffen, and Michael Huff are all gone. Killbrew can't play Strong and Mike next year at the same time which means that Texass has to find itself another LB who can play every down.

Oklahoma has the vast majority of it's team returning. We have been playing with a third and fourth string Defensive end since the Tulsa game. We will be scary deep on the defensive line, scary. Other than that we have just three kids on the D depth chart who are even Juniors much less Seniors. Our Offense has all the current starters except Runnels, Joseph, and a couple of Oline 2nd stringers coming back.

You're right there is no hope that the 34 Freshman and sophmores on our two deep will have improved any by next year.

:meds:
Killian

Post by Killian »

Van wrote:On a slightly different tangent than this Stoops thing I've been wondering the same thing about ol' Petey Carroll...

If he wins it this year how tempting would it be to do an Elway or an MJ and go out on top with his wrist cocked and the NBA Three Peat won on his final shot as an NBA player? (Of course MJ wasn't wired the same as Elway so he couldn't leave well enough alone, but you get the idea...)

Seriously, man, it's going to be damn difficult to keep living up to his own legend once this ride finally ends and wouldn't it feel incredible to simply take this last one and then go out on top...

I'd sure be tempted. Bare minimum I'd look long and hard after winning this one...

"Pardner, my job is done here...", and I'm outta there, my legacy golden.

Next, because I'm maybe too young to give this shit up entirely, I sift through the ensuing NFL offers and I grab myself some really high paying gig that'll be low pressure/high challenge. Grab the Packers or Lions gig and see if maybe I can't add to my legacy by restoring somebody like that to some semblance of competitiveness. Complete my coaching resume by doing something in the NFL before I retire to my Fox tv analyst gig and my island mansion in the Florida keys...

Sounds pretty good to me. I sure wouldn't want to stick around long enough to be there when USC inevitably begins losing again to Notre Dame and UCLA...
I think Pete is there for at least a few more years, possibly even to finish out his career. He will always have the NFL, just based on how well he's done these past 4 years. But from what I've heard, Pete loves the college game and if he got back into the NFL, he would want total control (GM duties). I don't think that would happen. There's also rumors that Pete's reputation in the NFL is somewhat sour based on some of his actions when he was HC of the Jets and Pats. Don't know how true those rumors are, but I think Pete has found his niche and will continue at USC for a long time.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

It's harder to do sideline jumping jacks and to chest-bump young men when you are an NFL coach. Pete is prolly staying in college.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Killian wrote:There's also rumors that Pete's reputation in the NFL is somewhat sour based on some of his actions when he was HC of the Jets and Pats.
What sort of actions are we talking here? What sort of rumors?

Killian

Post by Killian »

Basically that he didn't get along well with ownership, back stabbed some coaches, and bitched and moaned to the wrong people about his situation.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Hmmm...

In any case the NFL is so machiavellian in its machinations that even if such things were true it's never going to prevent another NFL team from attmpting to catch a ride on that gravy train, if for no other reason than the boost in season ticket sales and overall fan interest.

On any given Sunday there's some flat out corpses manning the sidelines in the NFL and the allure of injecting Pete's notoriety, enthusiasm and charisma into some moribund franchise like the Saints or Lions would prove to be too tempting to ignore for many an NFL owner...