Sun

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Sun

Post by ElTaco »

Not the big yellow one. The company has launched opensolaris.org

For anyone who didn't yet know, Solaris will slowly move torwards being an open source project. Some stuff is already published.

-ET
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

What is Solaris anyway ? Is it useful for an intermediate tech junkie like me ?

I'm eventually going Mac for multi-media , but I am just curious about Sun and thier products . I know enginneers use them .
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

How should I put this.

Sun is computer company that decided to go off and write its own operating system for its own hardware.

Solaris is one of the best, most secure and stabe operating systems in existance. It is extreamly popular for hosting huge databases because it is so stable.

Solaris is a Unix derivative and is currently up to Solaris v10. In the past Solaris was also known as SunOS.

Solaris is generally used on server systems as well as workstations. Sun machines are generally used for huge servers.

You probably wouldn't use it for anything. I just use it to keep my skills up in case I get the chance to become a Unix admin again.

If you are interested in trying it out, you can order an x86 version from Sun and test it out or develop for Solaris as long as you run it on a single CPU system. If you get really interested, you can get some fairly nice sun machines on ebay for relatively cheap.

-ET
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

Thanks . I remember back in 1992 , those old Sparc stations would drive our displays crazy . I've never really known of any use for them for myself , but your post piqued my interest .
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

You can pick up those sparc station pizzaboxes for less then $100 on ebay. I purchased a Sun Ultra Enterprize 2 for about $250 a good while back. Its a dual 300mhz Ultra sparc II cpu if memory serves. It sounds slow, but its not. Different type of technology. Currently runs Solaris 9 (aka solaris 4.9). Version 10 just came out recently. Had some really nice additions so I will need to get my hands on it sometime soon.

-ET
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

ET knows all of this stuff but I'll answer it in another way.

Sun Solaris is UNIX written for Intel chipsets that are found in PC's.

It's very stable, geeks don't waste their time writing viruses for it because many of them like UNIX/Solaris/Linux, etc..... because they are fucking geeks.

I have Solaris 8.0 and wish I bothered to learn it. It is like a pure OS. You can set permissions, create directories, etc. To me, it's just cool because I know it's going to work.

M$oft works for me like a champ, but I have to watch it like a hawk.

Damn..... I'm geekin' now.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Solaris.
It's like, what.... a 7 GB minimal install and you compile the kernel over a summer.

:lol:

Just kidding.

Solaris sounds cool from what I hear.

*NIX rocks. Gonna kick aroud the latest FreeBSD tomorrow.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Actually Solaris was not made for Intel at all. It was made for the Sun Sparc chips.

-ET
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

I guess I am the only guy lieft who still has his "OpenLook" desktop somewhere.

Solaris has been moving this way slowly. They still support a software dev team, though, so they still have to sell some OS's to pay for that.

I still have a buddy on the Solaris team. I'll drop him a line. We used to run experiements in spam on the web.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Rack sun (and IBM) for opening up over 1600 patents to the open source crowd.

-ET
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

So Sun has officially released the final release of Solaris 10. You can order the CDs/DVDs online for the shipping costs and a single license for playing around is free if you register Solaris.

It was released for both the Sparc and Intel CPUs.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/