It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Michiganders, check in

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:They'll often do it going up a hill
Where did you find a hill?

A friend of mine was a long-haul trucker. According to him, somewhere between 80-85% of all truck driver have no business driving a truck.

Drove over the Santiam Pass a few years ago with a friend for work. Extremely twisty road over the top. Complete freaking whiteout. Couldn't see 10 feet. And oddly enough, we never cracked about 10MPH. Neither did any of the other vehicles on the highway. Ain't fucking rocket surgery.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:A friend of mine was a long-haul trucker. According to him, somewhere between 80-85% of all truck driver have no business driving a truck.
I'm not a trucker but we employ them. I'll second that. If you have two hands, two feet and can make your mark on a piece of paper, you can get a CDL.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:A friend of mine was a long-haul trucker. According to him, somewhere between 80-85% of all truck driver have no business driving a truck.
You're welcome

~J.B. Hunt
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Well that settles it then, you have a "friend" who says something derogatory about 80-85% of truckers so it must be true. A few others chime in and agree.

We might as well shutdown the interstate commerce system because w/o truckers this country would come to a screeching halt.

I won't debate the merits or lack thereof of long haul truckers. I know a few who are good people but I'm not on the road with them. I have driven enough around truckers though to say that your 80-85% number is ass backwards. 90% of them are safe and courteous drivers who don't get near the appreciation they deserve, nor the pay. It's a difficult, thankless job and these guys spend days or weeks away from their homes and families to get product on shelves that you apparently take for granted.

I schedule freight (thru a broker) all over this country. We use most every carrier out there, big and small, full loads and LTL's. We and our customers absolutely rely on these guys to get product to a destination on time and almost w/o fail they do just that.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:I schedule freight (thru a broker) all over this country. We use most every carrier out there, big and small, full loads and LTL's. We and our customers absolutely rely on these guys to get product to a destination on time and almost w/o fail they do just that.
And to hell with anyone that gets in their way. Fuck your fucking truckers.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:It's a difficult, thankless job and these guys spend days or weeks away from their homes and families to get product on shelves that you apparently take for granted.
Not exactly creating a climate where the best and brightest would want to do the job. Think about it.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

BSmack wrote:
War Wagon wrote:It's a difficult, thankless job and these guys spend days or weeks away from their homes and families to get product on shelves that you apparently take for granted.
Not exactly creating a climate where the best and brightest would want to do the job. Think about it.
From what I've heard & read the pay for long haul drivers is absolutely abysmal (like around $25-30k). Wouldn't surprise me that the pool of drivers these days is scraping the driver (although I haven't had a problem with a CDL in quite a while).
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Diego in Seattle wrote: From what I've heard & read the pay for long haul drivers is absolutely abysmal (like around $25-30k).
I would seriously doubt that. They probably make twice that at the least.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

mvscal wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote: From what I've heard & read the pay for long haul drivers is absolutely abysmal (like around $25-30k).
Wrong again, mouthbreather.
9/27/22
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Trucking wages have been in either decline or stagnant for years. Like more than 20 years. Most of the guys I knew way back when I was in Highway Maintenance and later managing a scrap yard were former over the road guys who were sick of being fucked over by trucking companies. In plain English, shipping rates have declined since 1979 and fuel prices have risen. Do the math. The only way to run a hauling firm and stay profitable is to fuck the truckers.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
mvscal wrote:
Wrong again, mouthbreather.
One thing to consider - that article talks about commercial drivers. In Wisconsin, that includes retirees who drive those little local delivery trucks. Companies advertising for over-the-road drivers are usually quoting $50-70,000 per year.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Goober McTuber wrote:Companies advertising for over-the-road drivers are usually quoting $50-70,000 per year.
They're advertising that, but that's not what the drivers will actually get. In order to get pay like that they would have to get a consistent amount of loads, and that's not even close to happening.
9/27/22
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Diego in Seattle wrote:they would have to get a consistent amount of loads
Sin,
**Insert T1B Screenname Here**
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dinsdale wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:they would have to get a consistent amount of loads
Sin,
**Insert T1B Screenname Here**

Don't do this, Dins...you are better than this...
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:Companies advertising for over-the-road drivers are usually quoting $50-70,000 per year.
So are telemarketing centers. That doesn't mean the money is there.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
They're advertising that, but that's not what the drivers will actually get. In order to get pay like that they would have to get a consistent amount of loads, and that's not even close to happening.
Wrong.

There's a shortage of drivers, not a shortage of loads. And the reason for that shortage isn't because of low pay, it's because the job sucks. You couldn't pay me enough to have to put up with all the bullshit they do.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

War Wagon wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:
Wrong.

There's a shortage of drivers, not a shortage of loads. And the reason for that shortage isn't because of low pay, it's because the job sucks. You couldn't pay me enough to have to put up with all the bullshit they do.
Yeah, it's a not very enviable schedule. Diego has a 'soda straw view' of the profession from his truck stop glory hole. Of course they would lie to him about how much they make.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

I rarely drive in it (and it rarely snows here) here, though, as the dumbasses around here are absolutely clueless on how to handle it...
I am living proof of this.

Back on 12-24-89(yeah I am old-ish) it snowed here in Tallahassee then became an ice storm that went down to Miami. I drove from here to Vero, taking US 27 to go south as quick as possible, and every pine needle was an inch around in ice, and the roads were worse. Bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of BFE, and I got up to about 4 mph, touched the brakes, and wound up doing a 180, still in my lane, looking at the guy behind me. I just waved, he waved back then I touched...touched the gas pedal about three timeswith the wheels pointed around, till I was pointed in the right direction. Cars were crashing off the side of the road EVERYWHERE!

Us Southerners don't know doodly about ice on roads.

I have no idea how you northern guys and gals deal with it, let alone Canada.
What were we just talking about?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Wagon wrote:not a shortage of loads
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

War Wagon wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:
Wrong.

If you say so, Wags. :meds:

Care to share with us how the lifestyle of a long haul driver has changed from say, forty years ago?
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote: I have no idea how you northern guys and gals deal with it, let alone Canada.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Diego in Seattle wrote:Care to share with us how the lifestyle of a long haul driver has changed from say, forty years ago?
No.

What's that have to do with the price of diesel or the demands of being a trucker today?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

So there's a shortage of truckers? And how do you suppose trucking companies handle this? By carefully training only the best applicants? Or by hiring a shitload of dregs, giving them the minimum amount of training allowed by law and then putting them on the road?

Oh yea, and paying them less.

http://www1.salary.com/Truck-Driver-Heavy-salary.html

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:If you have two hands, two feet and can make your mark on a piece of paper, you can get a CDL.
This deserves a rack. I've met more than a few illiterate truckers in my day. Even managed a few. It was a real wake up call for me the first time one of my scrap haulers signed off on his manifest with a big fat X.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown