Muscle Cars. Ever owned one?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

The Seer
Just the Facts

Re: Muscle Cars. Ever owned one?

Post by The Seer »

Just to finish up this 'Cuda thread....

The '70 Hemi Cuda (426) was the 2nd quickest vehicle to leave the assembly line - stock. It was only behind the '67 Corvette (427) due to the fiberglass chassis.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The Seer wrote:Just to finish up this 'Cuda thread....

The '70 Hemi Cuda (426) was the 2nd quickest vehicle to leave the assembly line - stock. It was only behind the '67 Corvette (427) due to the fiberglass chassis.
If you consider the shelby cobras to be production cars, they are the quickest. It's not even close. They blow vettes and everything else out of the water.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uhm... a big block Cuda weighed less than a big block Corvette. Vettes were known for being heavy for their size... full frame vs. unibody.

And there's been so many cars built since then that blow either into the weeds, it's not even worth trying to list them.

The standard 2011 Mustang GT likks them down te quarter.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

my dad had a 68 Mustang and then a Datsun 240Z when i was very very young, but i liked to ride (esp in the front passenger seat) with him around.

my HS gf had a Chevy Nova she inherited from a relative (it was 10-15 years old at least when she got it). it wasn't cherry or real sporty looking (beige) but it had a big engine and made a lot of throaty noise. what made it great was she was about 5' 2". she used to bitch around town in that thing....and then she was just a bitch.

i had a 1974 BMW 2002 for about 4 years in the 90's....engine was perfect, but it looked like hell on the outside. it was awesome to drive....but, not in any way a muscle car.

my first car was a 81 Cutlass Supreme (used, about 8-9 years old)....also not a muscle car but was a tremendous power-steering like honey boat.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Dinsdale wrote:

Uhm... a big block Cuda weighed less than a big block Corvette. Vettes were known for being heavy for their size... full frame vs. unibody.

And there's been so many cars built since then that blow either into the weeds, it's not even worth trying to list them.

The muscle car "era" is usually considered to have been from 1960 - 1974. It is that time period which I ranked the stock cars for their 1/4 mile.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The Seer wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

The muscle car "era" is usually considered to have been from 1960 - 1974. It is that time period which I ranked the stock cars for their 1/4 mile.
should have dropped a sin, MA on the end of that one.

and since the category was "muscle car" you might even exclude vettes. muscle cars are typically mid size to large sedan type 2 doors with absurd engines stuffed into them. there have been quicker american made stuff that fits this category since the late 80s buick GN. not sure of the GN's 1/4 times, btu, i do believe it to be well into the 13s.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

smackaholic wrote: and since the category was "muscle car" you might even exclude vettes. muscle cars are typically mid size to large sedan type 2 doors with absurd engines stuffed into them. there have been quicker american made stuff that fits this category since the late 80s buick GN. not sure of the GN's 1/4 times, btu, i do believe it to be well into the 13s.
Stock the Buick GN ran low 14's in the 1/4. It didn't take much as far as aftermarket chip and some timing adjustments to get them into the 13's. Add a larger aftermarket turbo and they would run in the 12's.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Don't forget the Grand National GNX.

They didn't make too many of them, but by far the face-shreddinest thing in the 80's.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one