Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Re: Ohio State Ruh Roh

Post by WolverineSteve »

This is a C-bus radio guy...he gets it.

http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php? ... Id=5204505
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

perhaps i missed it, but have we discussed/giggled over what happens to the players in all this mess? they presumably would have been ineligible last year because of this, which leads me to believe they'd be just as ineligible this year. that's some mad comeuppance if they they're suspended after their chance to bolt for the nfl has passed.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Interesting comments from Bob Knight and RichRod on this one...
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

L45B wrote:Interesting comments from Bob Knight and RichRod on this one...
Hoke took up for Tressell too. Does it really suprise you that people in the same profession stick up for each other? Especially RRod, dude needs a job. He's not gonna come out with guns blazing.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Hoke took up for Tressell too. Does it really suprise you that people in the same profession stick up for each other? Especially RRod, dude needs a job. He's not gonna come out with guns blazing.
They don't stick up for one another all the time. Didn't Knight blast Calipari when UK hired him?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

MuchoBulls wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:
They don't stick up for one another all the time. Didn't Knight blast Calipari when UK hired him?
He did, and it was great. A little different because I think Bobby is done coaching.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote: Alabama, USC, tOSU. Who's next?

** Raises hand**

Actually, I think it depends... you'd think Chip is a smart enough guy to have learned something from Vest the last few days, but it doesn't appear so...

it looks like he might try the playing-dumb bit, which is clearly not the right way to handle it.

I'd think saying "since the NCAA changed the rules in 2008, there's really no guidelines for using recruiting services, and no restrictions on who you can employ, what you can purchase from them, and how much you can pay them" would be a much better strategy.

I though Chip believed the best defense is a strong offense, but he's sure not handling his scandal thatway.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

WolverineSteve wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:Hoke took up for Tressell too. Does it really suprise you that people in the same profession stick up for each other? Especially RRod, dude needs a job. He's not gonna come out with guns blazing.
He did, and it was great. A little different because I think Bobby is done coaching.
And Bobby graduated from OSU.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Sudden Sam wrote:
M Club wrote:perhaps i missed it, but have we discussed/giggled over what happens to the players in all this mess? they presumably would have been ineligible last year because of this, which leads me to believe they'd be just as ineligible this year. that's some mad comeuppance if they they're suspended after their chance to bolt for the nfl has passed.
Exactly what I expect. They passed on the draft...now they'll be out for all of next year.

Screw 'em. Selling their rings and shit for tattoos? WGARA what happens to these punks?

Tressel's rep is shattered. He's no longer that image of clean and doing things the "right way". The Clarett thing shoulda taken care of that years ago.

So...does everyone realize (FINALLY!) that ALL schools cheat? It ain't just the SEC, which everyone in here desperately wanted to believe.

Alabama, USC, tOSU. Who's next?
Arkansas State
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6207321

Here is a comparison of a couple of the high-profile NCAA infractions and the penalties accessed over the past dozen years or so..

Alabama - U of Alabama boosters paid multiple players and lied about it to the NCAA. One booster went to jail for Fraud. Penalty: 2 year bowl ban, loss of 21 scholarships

UNC - Agents paid players, Assistant Head Coach was actually a runner for the agent. Penalty: No penalty yet other than to rule a couple players ineligible.

Auburn - Cam Newton's dad admits to solicitation of pay-for-play scheme for Cam, Cam tells MSU coach "sorry, but the money was too great (at Auburn)". Penalty: No penalty, Auburn wins National Championship.

Ohio State - Agent with no ties to OSU paid Maurice Clarrett and Troy Smith, amongst others. Penalty: Maurice Clarrett kicked off team, Troy Smith suspended two games, no vacating of wins, no post-season ban, no scholarship reductions or any other major penalty.

Ohio State #2 - Head Coach knows 5 players are breaking NCAA rules, doesn't say anything until he is caught. Penalty: 2 game suspension, fined $250K. Players penalty - 5 game delayed suspension. no vacating of wins, no post-season ban, no scholorship reductions, or any other major penalty.

Oklahoma - OU Booster paid players (including starting QB) to not work. Penalty: QB kicked off team, no vacating wins, no post season ban, no scholorship reductions, or any other penalty.

USC - Reggie Bush and family takes money from (wannabe) Agent with no ties to USC. Penalty: 2 year bowl ban, loss of 30 Scholarships. Vacate 15 games in which player played.

The only 2 penalties that were close, but still LESS THAN USC's, were Alabama and Michigan's BBAll team, where U of M Booster Ed Martin was found to be paying 75% of Michigan's starting lineup and tried to cover it up, leading to their Head Coach being fired.

People from other schools wonder why USC fans want their school to face the same wrath of the NCAA that USC had to face, this is why.
College sports is a joke with this sort of governance.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Do you know the difference between NCAA sanctions and self-imposed penalties? osu issued the penalties in a report to the ncaa, there will be an investigation, there will be findings, there will be a ruling. My guess is that the penalties will be far more severe. I agree that the self-imposed punishment is way weak. If they would suspend the players and the coaches for 5 Big10 games instead of against Akron and Toledo people may take it more seriously. Tressell's inability to admit wrong doing is nauseating and Gee(k)'s limp wristed stance (I just hope coach doesn't shitcan me) goes to show what it's all about in c-bus.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Michigan's BBAll team, where U of M Booster Ed Martin was found to be paying 75% of Michigan's starting lineup

Good stuff.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Dinsdale wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:Michigan's BBAll team, where U of M Booster Ed Martin was found to be paying 75% of Michigan's starting lineup

Good stuff.
Someone was getting less than a full cut?
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Good stuff.
Good call. Did you watch that shameful "documentary" last night? Fucking pathetic.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Good stuff.
I'd say Toejam confused the Fab Four with the Fab Five.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Killian

Post by Killian »

How does one pay 75% of 5 players?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Good call. Did you watch that shameful "documentary" last night? Fucking pathetic.
What was wrong with the documentary? It was great re-living the memories...it's not like I can gaze to the rafters at Crisler.

The film showed us what we already knew. They were the greatest recruiting class in the history of college hoops. They weren't all on the take. Rose got a few bucks and those in the know believe that C-Web took the big cash once he declared for the draft. The larger damage took place later on with Traylor, Taylor and Bullock. The only thing that changed for me was my view of Ed Martin...he didn't pay guys to come to Michigan, he did provide some money for incidentals, a clear rules violation. 3 of the Fab5 (75%?) recieved no money whatsoever.

I hate what happened to the program, but you cannot argue with the lasting impact this group had on the history of CBB.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote:They weren't all on the take.
Do you honestly believe that? They all were to a certain extent. In fact, the 89 team had numerous players affiliated with Martin. (Terry Mills much?)
Rose got a few bucks
A shameful lie. Thousands of dollars is not a few bucks.
and those in the know believe that C-Web took the big cash once he declared for the draft.
Another lie. Webber was getting paid while he was at DCD. For the Detroit kids, the payments stopped if they didn't attend scU-M.
The only thing that changed for me was my view of Ed Martin...he didn't pay guys to come to Michigan, he did provide some money for incidentals, a clear rules violation. 3 of the Fab5 (75%?) recieved no money whatsoever.
Just stop it already. The only thing about the "documentary" that was good was the game footage and the associated footage (the Europe trip). Other than that, there was only about 15 min of truth in the entire film. I've never heard in anyone in my entire life play the victim card like Jalen did last night. What a despicable piece of shit. Oh, poor U-M racists after he admits he hated Puke because K recruited Uncle Toms. "Oh, hypocritical U-M, making all this money off us and we weren't getting paid." YOU WERE GETTING PAID, ASSHOLE! THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!

Nevertheless they all threw Webber under the bus at each and every opportunity.

Steve, please remind me: What did the Fab 5 ever win? What "lasting impact" did they leave?

EDIT: None of those assholes are man enough to admit they helped destroy the program.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Steve, please remind me: What did the Fab 5 ever win? What "lasting impact" did they leave?
Coaches making sure all of the players know when they're out of time-outs?
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Mace wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Steve, please remind me: What did the Fab 5 ever win? What "lasting impact" did they leave?
Coaches making sure all of the players know when they're out of time-outs?
DING! DING! DING!

Ladies and Gentlemen! We have ourselves a winner!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mace wrote:Coaches making sure all of the players know when they're out of time-outs?
I think it was Ray Jackson in the "documentary" who said that everyone knew there were ZERO TIMEOUTS remaining.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Mace wrote:Coaches making sure all of the players know when they're out of time-outs?
I think it was Ray Jackson in the "documentary" who said that everyone knew there were ZERO TIMEOUTS remaining.
If that's truly the case then the "lasting impact" should be for coaches to recruit players smarter than Chris Webber.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

They replaced the nutter shorts with those over-sized Bermudas. And they made black socks cool.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

They got the baggy shorts look from Michael Jordan. They admit it in the film.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

The Fab 5 - a bunch of good players paid to go to Michigan who wore baggy shorts and believed they were bigger than the score of the game (Jalen Rose's words). Big fucking deal.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Goober McTuber wrote:And they made black socks cool.
Yeah, Goobs, but you have to quit wearing them with sandals. They aren't that cool.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mace wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:And they made black socks cool.
Yeah, Goobs, but you have to quit wearing them with sandals. They aren't that cool.
They look just fine with my nuts resting on them.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Killian wrote:How does one pay 75% of 5 players?

The same way one can be really late to an internet guffaw.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

The fact that the doc drew the highest rating of any of the 30 for 30 series shows the lasting impact they had.

I do remember that they had the attitude about money. Bitching about the jerseys being sold and them not seeing any of the cash. That pissed me off at the time and I still don't like it.

Martin was influential around Southwest HS in Detroit. Detroit is a huge city, there is no way he was "fostering" all of Detroits star players. Mills was from Romulus (30 mins from SW Detroit), he was Mr. Basketball his senior season and chose Michigan. Michigan was a very good program at the time and recruited the state very well. Mills was not one of Martins guys.

Webber fucked himself by lying to the grand jury. Rose told the truth and went on his way. I didn't hear anyone on the doc throw Webber under the bus. Webber is just fine, a nice long career, now a nice broadcassting gig...plenty of money. He even made good out of the infamous timeout, starting a charity. Speaking of the timeout...I KNEW it was Mike Talley that was yelling for Webber to call the T.O.!! The doc shows it clearly. Should Webber have known there were none left? Of course. He also should have outletted the ball to Rose instead of travelling. But they were down 2 at the time and still would have had to score to force OT. The timeout ended the game before we found out what would have happened, but it didn't cost UM the game.

What did they ever win? Really? Ignorant question. If you can't see the accomplishment of five true freshmen taking a team to the NC game, then there is something wrong with you. The class was unique in that they were all inside the top 50 recruits that year. They played a helter skelter style of ball that was awesome to watch. Like Jalen said in the doc...Nobody knows who won the Title 3 years ago, 5, years ago, 10 years ago. Nobody knows the starting lineup of the Carolina team that beat us, but they all know the Fab5. WINNING-DUH!

Hopefully after 2013 Webber will tell his side of the story and he and the University can make up. Jalen is already around, his foundation sends kids to games at Crisler, he donated big money to the new hoops facility being built, he runs a charter school in the inner city of Detroit. Jalen Rose is an exceptional citizen. Jimmy King had a run on Wall Street as a broker and did color on UM's hoops radio broadcasts, and I think the doc said he is in education now. Ray Jackson was working at a foundation and coaching hoops I believe. Juwan Howard kept his promise to his grandma and completed his degree (all but C-Web graduated).

My question is this.....what would you do if you were 16, from a broken home with no money and some dude offered you money? If nyou say you would know it was an NCAA violation (way before you were even to go to college) and would turn it down, you are a fucking liar.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote: I didn't hear anyone on the doc throw Webber under the bus.
I think you need to re-watch the film. Who else were they throwing under the bus when Ray Jackson said "we all knew how many time outs were left"? Eric Riley? Rose also shows little to no remorse for being part of the problem.

Big difference between being dirt poor and accepting money prior to college and taking big fucking bucks from a mob-connected booster during college while bitching about how much the school is making off you. Props to Mateen Cleaves for making the right decision in 1996. Too bad Robert Fat Ass Traylor, Maurice Taylor and those other jerkoffs couldn't make the same choices.

And regarding the winning, yeah, they had a couple nice tourney runs. But they never won any hardware. Except for being the "Fab Five," they're no better than Mike Davis.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote:Like Jalen said in the doc...Nobody knows who won the Title 3 years ago, 5, years ago, 10 years ago. Nobody knows the starting lineup of the Carolina team that beat us, but they all know the Fab5. WINNING-DUH!
WINNING-DUH is right. What did they fucking win? No surprise coming from Jalen. They didn't win jack shit but it doesn't matter.

Hey Jalen, go rub your nuts on the center-court "S" at the Breslin Center again, you pole-smoker.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

WolverineSteve wrote:The fact that the doc drew the highest rating of any of the 30 for 30 series shows the lasting impact they had.
for the reals, run a documentary on the flintstones and see how well that does. (though at least it'd answer the question as to why mateen cleaves could be at ed martin's with his hand out but end up playing for an entirely clean program.) shit, run one on any notable ncaa team and the only one that'd come close to generating half the interest is unlv.

the fab 5 never won a championship but that's not as cutting of a criticism as it should be. who can blame an entirely freshman team for losing to duke? and the timeout sucked (still sucks) but that's just how shit goes down in the ncaa tournament. the best team loses in the second round half the time. the most legitimate criticism about the championships is that they didn't win the big ten. obviously wasn't happening their freshman year, but - off the top of my head - they finished the season 15-3 with two two-point losses to indiana, who was 17-1. just because they were good didn't mean some teams were better.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TV ratings scoreboard. Awesome. :meds:

I think the Flintstones are perfectly happy with their hardware instead.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Props to Mateen Cleaves for making the right decision in 1996. Too bad Robert Fat Ass Traylor, Maurice Taylor and those other jerkoffs couldn't make the same choices.
You do know that Mateen was bankrolled, while in college, by some very bad people from Flint, right? There's a reason Mateen was almost shot in a drive by before his senior year.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:TV ratings scoreboard. Awesome. :meds:

I think the Flintstones are perfectly happy with their hardware instead.
well, you said "who fucking cares," and your old high school girlfriend up there asked what lasting impact they had. michigan was the msu of the day, going to a bunch of final fours but only coming away with one title. except people care about them.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:the most legitimate criticism about the championships is that they didn't win the big ten. obviously wasn't happening their freshman year, but - off the top of my head - they finished the season 15-3 with two two-point losses to indiana, who was 17-1. just because they were good didn't mean some teams were better.
Close only counts in hand grenades and finger banging.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:and your old high school girlfriend up there asked what lasting impact they had
Good call, M Cunt. The lasting impact the Fab Five had was helping destroy a basketball program for almost 20 years. But, then again, M fans don't care about bball. They only did during 88-89 and 92-94. Fag Five's "lasting impact:" empty rafters. Fitting.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WolverineSteve wrote:Like Jalen said in the doc...Nobody knows who won the Title 3 years ago, 5, years ago, 10 years ago. Nobody knows the starting lineup of the Carolina team that beat us, but they all know the Fab5.
Yeah, and for all the wrong reasons. Without Ed Martin, the Fab 5 name doesn't remain nearly as relevant today. Good to see you and Jalen are so proud of that fact.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:But, then again, M fans don't care about bball.
They do when Michigan sweeps MSU in basketball. Then you might see random appearances from them in the college bball forum.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

So if going to the finals and losing is a disgrace what the fuck does state have to bump their gums about?
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:But, then again, M fans don't care about bball.
They do when Michigan sweeps MSU in basketball. Then you might see random appearances from them in the college bball forum.
you saw random appearances from me in the bball forum before. clean your vagina out.

and michigan fans do care about basketball. we're just not good, so there's not a lot to talk shit about. perhaps we'll put together a decent run and you two lesbos can go back to rubbing yourselves down at the thought of all the extra whining you'll get to do about arrogant michigan fans.