1st round games

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: 1st round games

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Shoalzie wrote:
Degenerate wrote:Richmond is getting worked. Glad I had them in the Sweet 16.

<--- Has St. Mary's 8)

I lost an Elite 8 already so I can really run too much smack. I went buck wild and put Butler in the Final Four and they trail UTEP early.
I took UTEP. 8)

That game is still really close though. Probably one of the two or three most difficult games to call in the opening round.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'm off to the most disastrous start I can remember. Brackets ----> Out the window. I'm just going to enjoy the games.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Onuaku out for Syracuse---not good.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

nice second half UTEP.

G'Town in some trouble early.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:nice second half UTEP.

G'Town in some trouble early.
Fuckin' UTEP gave me my first loss... bastards. Kentucky is mauling ETSU. Marquette and Washington is starting out well enough though.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Georgetown is about to take a huge shit on my bracket...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Fucking cbs.com is a buffering nightmare. And it ain't my connection.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

IndyFrisco wrote:Fucking cbs.com is a buffering nightmare. And it ain't my connection.

It was like that in previous years as well. That's why I preferred to do the sports bar commando option.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Try channelsurfing.net.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Georgetown tanking ? Oh my.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Ice cold Hoyas, good night.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Damion James: nice beard. it's not good when it looks more like Abe Lincoln than James Worthy. and way to be clutch from the FT line in regulation....after lowering your shoulder into the Wake defender but still getting the call for the go-ahead FT's
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Jsc810 wrote:RACK the tournament.

What he said...a great first day.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Seems like damn near every team I picked lost in overtime, or on a buzzer beater, or in some dramatic way down the stretch. Oh well. That was definitely the best 1st day of tourney play I can ever remember.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Seems like damn near every team I picked lost in overtime, or on a buzzer beater, or in some dramatic way down the stretch. Oh well. That was definitely the best 1st day of tourney play I can ever remember.

It's too bad Gus Johnson and Len Elmore didn't work any of those sites yesterday...he always loses his mind during those close games/upsets in the making. I heard he's working the Buffalo games this weekend...decent games but I don't see any drama coming out of those.

I think the site of the day yesterday had to be San Jose...Murray State's upset on the late shot, Washington's close win over Marquette and Butler's crazy second half explosion.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

11-5 on day 1 with an elite 8 team going down and a final 4 team who should have lost had not been for the officiating. not so good.

Oh well, I could give a shit about my bracket. My money is in the NCAA player draft. Did well on day 1, but lost 3 players to ELIMINATION which is not good.

ANd the big money is on Texas A&M. Goooooooo AGGIES!
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It seems like we're just on a run with sporting events that warrant some unnecessary hyperbole attached to it..."the best" or "the greatest" or "the most memorable". I can't recall every friggin tourney game I've watched but yesterday was entertaining. The thing with there not being many powerhouse teams is that we're going to see more upsets and close games. Higher seeded teams are apt to have off nights and fall on their face or a lower seeded team can get hot and rise up and slay a giant. We don't need to call yesterday anything...just enjoy it for what it was.

So far today, you have West Virginia start slow but now they're beating the holy hell out of Morgan State...Cornell has Temple on the ropes have a look of being one of those lower seeded teams that can go on a run...and then Minnesota-Xavier has been pretty tight through out and could be exciting at the end.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:It's too bad Gus Johnson and Len Elmore didn't work any of those sites yesterday...he always loses his mind during those close games/upsets in the making.
Gus was awesome during the C-USA title game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm feeling quite good about having Cornell going to the Sweet 16...a very nice performance by them today. Wisconsin (if they win today) will probably be able to defend and rebound better than the Owls but the Big Red have a balanced attack with three seniors...Dale, Wittman and Foote. They could even be a tricky team for Kentucky if they run into each in the Sweet 16 considering the youth on the Wildcats.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I was definitely wrong about Cornell. They got a lot of hype because they lost to a really good team (KU) by 5 points. That just wasn't enough to sell me.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I was definitely wrong about Cornell. They got a lot of hype because they lost to a really good team (KU) by 5 points. That just wasn't enough to sell me.
Neither was I... I started out like a Juggernaut going 7-1 and as I predicted my bracket has fallen to shit since.

Georgetown is what really screwed me. They have been Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde all season. I knew when I took them that I'd either look golden if the good doctor showed up or they would royally fuck me if Mr. Hyde did... Mr. Hyde reared his ugly fuckin' grill.

I am doing the BWW thing again today as well BTW. Have to bounce out of here earlier though this time since I am going to a concert this evening.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Temple had a great season and a strong finish to such season. They, along with G'town, are the disappointments of the tournament. The A-10 and the Big Least (Sup, MGO) have looked fucking horrible so far.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Xavier looks pretty dangerous. That Crawford kid (IU transfer) is a beast.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I was definitely wrong about Cornell. They got a lot of hype because they lost to a really good team (KU) by 5 points. That just wasn't enough to sell me.

There seems to always be at least one team from that flies under the radar with senior leadership that makes a run in the tourney...wins 2 or 3 games before the clock strikes 12 and they remember they're just some piddly mid-major. I'm riding Butler's jock and they're a team that is lead by mostly sophomores and juniors so next year could be their year to rise up if it isn't going to be this year. When you're a mid-major and unless you have a Steph Curry, you're not going to have to worry about losing a guy early...their teams grow together at some point, they have a year where they post 25 wins and cause havoc in the dance.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Butler's not sneakin up on anybody. That's a basketball program.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:It's too bad Gus Johnson and Len Elmore didn't work any of those sites yesterday...he always loses his mind during those close games/upsets in the making.
Gus was awesome during the C-USA title game.
Gus Johnson is a Tourette’s s afflicted drooling mongoloid. His delivery is so fake and so over the top, it’s fucking retarded. This simpleton is best suited to call WWE matches. Any douchemonkey who actually appreciates his game calling is the intellectual equivalent of a huge steaming pile of rhino shit. Get fucked.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

They did it at The Phog (where the Gaysquawks have the nations longest home court winning streak, 50 some games) - had them on the ropes until the final minute, seconds even.

Cornell was 29-5, dumbass. :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

haha look at Wags. He calls an upset (OMG, the only person to EVER do that!), and starts puffing out his sunken chest. Nice guesswork, and props to Cornell. You didn't watch them play a single minute of basketball this season, and neither did I. They had zero wins against top 50 teams. That's all I had to go by.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Xavier looks pretty dangerous. That Crawford kid (IU transfer) is a beast.
Of all the kids that had to go and chose to go from the Sampson fiasco JC is the one I most wish IU still had. Holloway was an IU commit as well so when I watch Xavier I can't help but ponder the what ifs. Prolly why I took Xavier to the 8, they have some psuedo-IU homersim for me.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:haha look at Wags. He calls an upset (OMG, the only person to EVER do that!), and starts puffing out his sunken chest. Nice guesswork, and props to Cornell. You didn't watch them play a single minute of basketball this season, and neither did I. They had zero wins against top 50 teams. That's all I had to go by.
Actually I did see the Kansas game on the game plan and still didn't believe in them.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:You didn't watch them play a single minute of basketball this season, and neither did I.
I live in KC, you don't suppose i might have watched that game?

That's all I had to go by.
I'll accept that as your mea culpa for being a dumbfuck.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'd be a little upset right now if i'm a New Mexico State fan. there's almost a full second left when the ball goes OOB. clock runs to .03? they don't even look at it.

lane violation is a little iffy under the circumstance, but i'm not saying it's a bad call. the two together...i'd be a little vexed.
"
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Lane violation was 100% legit. Watched it on slo-mo replay and dude was clearly in early.

I agree they should have looked at the clock given how often it seems they check it nowadays but regardless NMST would have needed a 3 with maybe .8 seconds left. Still think MSU holds on with the extra half-second.

It hasn't been pretty but Big 10 about to go to 4-1 after tO$U handles the Fighting Romies.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

War Wagon wrote:I live in KC, you don't suppose i might have watched that game?
It doesn't matter either way. Like I said, lucky guess, and congrats on the call. Most of these games are crapshoots.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Shine wrote: I agree they should have looked at the clock given how often it seems they check it nowadays but regardless NMST would have needed a 3 with maybe .8 seconds left.
sure, it's a 1/100 chance but at least with .8 you've a "legal" opportunity to take a shot....i don't know too many teams that practice a game-end scenario where you run a set to try and get a tip for a 3 pointer....which is all you can do at .03 since you are below the "time left to take a shot" minimum. as you say, i think you have to look at the clock. the way they did it, they take NMSU off the table to have a chance. it's foreclosed....the refs sort of "decide" the game which is the opposite of what they are supposed to do. weirder things have happened in March than a NMSU catch and shoot for the winner. but, they don't ever get the chance. like you say, as often as the replay is consulted on clock issues these days during the course of a game....no reason why they didn't do it last night at the end of the game in the NCAA tournament.

i read another board where they are convinced the refs handed the game to MSU with Izzo on the sidelines and 82 year old Jud Heathcoate in the stands. not sure i can go that far, but you have to let them play it out.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

They should've looked at the clock, but man, I have a hard time feeling sorry for NMSU. That was a really dumb basketball team down the stretch. Just took some awful shots and had many opportunities. And then their point guard who ran his mouth off for days before the game, faking that injury at center court, delaying the game...fuck em.