PAC 10 Expansion?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Re: PAC 10 Expansion?

Post by SoCalTrjn »

You can hit them with the ball at 100+MPH. You also dont play man defense in those sports, playing manned defense when you cant hit the man is gay.

The Pac would be stupid to invite any of the mentioned schools in to its conference. None of the schools bring anything of use to the conference, no hot recruiting beds, no history, no TV contracts or national interest. Not even a decent sized media market with exception of Colorado and they are hardly "pacific." There is nothing those schools bring to the table so why give any of them an equal piece of the pie as USC? Unless philanthropy is the reason and the conference is concerning its self with mass charity, they should tell the likes of Boise, Utah, BYU... to get fucked, the Pacs not interested.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

SoCalTrjn wrote:You can hit them with the ball at 100+MPH.
I'm pretty sure I've yet to see a volleyball travelling at 100+ MPH. Besides, in volleyball and tennis, the objective is to hit the ball in a location where your opponents can't get to it. Hitting them with the ball, or trying to, doesn't necessarily accomplish that.
You also dont play man defense in those sports, playing manned defense when you cant hit the man is gay.
So are the speedo-type shorts that vollleyball teams wear as part of their uniforms.
The Pac would be stupid to invite any of the mentioned schools in to its conference. None of the schools bring anything of use to the conference, no hot recruiting beds, no history, no TV contracts or national interest. Not even a decent sized media market with exception of Colorado and they are hardly "pacific." There is nothing those schools bring to the table so why give any of them an equal piece of the pie as USC? Unless philanthropy is the reason and the conference is concerning its self with mass charity, they should tell the likes of Boise, Utah, BYU... to get fucked, the Pacs not interested.
Have you been paying attention? It's the Pac-10 that has broached the topic of expansion, and those schools are at the top of the list as far as the Pac is concerned. I suppose they could add, say, Fresno State, San Diego State or San Jose State, but those schools don't bring new markets to the table. What's driving the expansion talk is the proposal to add a TV network similar to the BTN, as to which expansion is a sine qua non, and new markets might be important. As for shares, I'm pretty sure nothing has been decided yet, so expansion doesn't necessarily mean that Colorado or Utah would get an equal share of the Pac-10 Network (if it ever comes to be) as does USC. Besides, the Pac-10 previously offered Colorado -- tell me you knew.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

you dont like the shorts the ladies volleyball players wear? The men dont wear the tight shorts. Steve Timmons spikes were clocked at over 103 MPH and they often spike the ball at people. The object is to hit the ball where they cant easily return it, right at their head accomplishes that.
Basketball might be watchable if they allowed the defense to tackle or hit the offensive player who has the ball. As it is its just indoor soccer played with their hands, no hitting and lots of crying.
The Pac inviting Colorado was a mistake before and is a mistake now, they dont bring anything of value to the conference. 10 teams is fine, no point in adding schools just for the sake of adding schools, there are no worthy ones available.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

SoCalTrjn wrote:you dont like the shorts the ladies volleyball players wear? The men dont wear the tight shorts.
I stand corrected.

Still pretty gay-looking uniforms, though.
[T]hey often spike the ball at people. The object is to hit the ball where they cant easily return it, right at their head accomplishes that.
Only if they don't succeed in moving their head out of the way. Once they do that, the ball is relatively easily returned.
Basketball might be watchable if they allowed the defense to tackle or hit the offensive player who has the ball. As it is its just indoor soccer played with their hands, no hitting and lots of crying.
So, volleyball is watchable but basketball is not? Allrighty, then.
The Pac inviting Colorado was a mistake before and is a mistake now, they dont bring anything of value to the conference. 10 teams is fine, no point in adding schools just for the sake of adding schools, there are no worthy ones available.
Not saying that I disagree, but if the Big Ten is looking to go to 16, then you're going to have a keep up with the Joneses mentality pervading the conferences. Not to mention that expansion might be necessary for survival.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jesus, that pic of the USC volleyball team makes the 1970 Texas football team laugh and say, "White boys much? Christ, dudes, mix in a minority or three!"
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

never said mens volleyball was watchable, the ladies on the other hand.

why does the Pac have to expand because the Big 10 does? the Pac 10 is better off staying the Pac 10, with only 10 teams it still wins more national titles year in and year out than the conferences with more schools do.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

How many national titles can you win year in and year out? :?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He's referring to more than just football. The Pac 10 leads the nation in total national championships across all sports.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Van wrote:He's referring to more than just football. The Pac 10 leads the nation in total national championships across all sports.

Oregon is going to win another track and field championship this year... on their home field even.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The name you saw thrown around in the most serious manner was Pitt. Does Pitt excite the typical Big Ten fan? Probably not
I don't know how you'd really evaluate that. I can say that I feel Pitt would be the best choice, quite apart from the renewed rivalry with PSU.

Too much is seemingly made about rivalries, and how they are to be quantified. I recognize that some rivalries are quite laden with tradition and sporting acrimony, and thus deserve a special nod. Then again, who is to say new rivalries can't be established? If the latter is possible, how are we to know whether the tempering process is taking place as it need be?

PSU/MSU was definitely a manufactured rivalry to begin with...but I think it can grow into a legitimate one, over the passage of decades. PSU has emerging rivalries with UM and tOSU and Iowa, at very least. Yes, they are not as storied as others, but it's mighty short-sighted to assert that they are not rivals of a kind.

I think Pitt would be the best choice, but I doubt Pitt itself agrees, despite all of the rumoring of late. Also, as much as I would like to see Pitt, at least a third of the PSU fan base probably feels otherwise. There is some bad blood in the region when the topic of conference shifting comes up. Al of the schools in question probably face similar looming budgeting woes...entrance fees and talk of millions changing hands might not play well in the current climate, when push comes to shove.

Expansion can be a weighty topic, if ESPN says...demands that it is, until it needs to happen.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.