When is this year's Smackoff??

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Moving Sale

Re: When is this year's Smackoff??

Post by Moving Sale »

Van wrote:To me, Salad Tosser and Fatsack are pretty much the same poster.
I'm still lost. WTF does "pretty much the same poster" mean?

I'm asking about the real people. That might have been what threw you off. :doh:
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I'm not certain they're not the same person. They post the same. They're both primarily famous for sticking a pog up their own ass; at least Fatsack is, and I wanna say ST also had something to do with it.

They always have each other's backs, and they post in such similar fashion that I've always thought of them as being the same person, the way I always thought of Rootbeer and Broken Staple as being the same person...or Crown Royal, and Tiberious.

Or is it Cicero?

:?

Anyway, ergo, "close enough."
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Van wrote:Anyway, ergo, "close enough."
Not for my purposes, but thanks for trying.

Now go fuck yourself you vapid bigoted cockvalley.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

"Valley"? What, I don't even get well defined boundaries? It's just a sorta wide open, meandering, borderless space? I don't even get any friction?

Shit.

Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Van wrote:I'm not certain they're not the same person. They post the same. They're both primarily famous for sticking a pog up their own ass; at least Fatsack is, and I wanna say ST also had something to do with it.

They always have each other's backs, and they post in such similar fashion that I've always thought of them as being the same person, the way I always thought of Rootbeer and Broken Staple as being the same person...or Crown Royal, and Tiberious.
I know what you mean. BTW, thanks for retiring your 'Annie' persona.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Right, 'cause Annie and I posted so similarly.

Great call, there.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

That vai incantation shit is definitely uhhhh different. I prefered the second studio version. The drum part was kind of annoying in the live one. What time was that in by the way? I think it was "really fukkin' weird time musical genius wankery time". Got a fukkin' migraine trying to count it out.

If I wanna listen to weird time stuff though, I usually bust out some of this.

wayyyyyyy easier to listen to. Morello is the coolest fukking jazz drummer, evah,.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

smackie wrote:That vai incantation shit is definitely uhhhh different. I prefered the second studio version.
:doh: :doh: :doh:

:evil:
Here's the hairball thing...

You know how you'd mentioned earlier that it must have taken that symphony orchestra a thousand rehearsals to get the timing down on that Aaron Copeland piece? Well, in each of the songs Vai wrote for this tour, for this live album, he didn't do rehearsals. He'd spring the song on his band, who'd get maybe one through of it during sound check, before having to perform it live that night.

No sheet music. No orchestral leader. It's a rock band.

One run through.

"Take a look at this guys, I just wrote it. We're doing this tonight..."

He'd let them watch him play it, they'd take a stab at it...bam. Done. Brutal. Just like Zappa did to him, all the time.

This is the original version of "Incantation," performed for the first time by his full band, with no rehearsal time. Check out the section where he plays some indigenous stringed instrument, like a bouzouki, or something. Again, I can't recall what it is, but as with the accordion bit in the Parisian waltz he threw in a hunk of bouzouki with this Turkish piece.

Unfortunately there's no true video to go with the audio here, but this is the real live performance. Considering the achievement represented here, including the crazy time signature, with almost no rehearsal, this is just mind boggling for a first live performance...
Besides all that shit I just wrote about how he made his band perform it live for that night's show after just a single one-through, wasn't the crowd chanting kind of a give away that it was a live concert performance??

Gah!!
Last edited by Van on Tue May 26, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Van wrote:"Valley"? What, I don't even get well defined boundaries? It's just a sorta wide open, meandering, borderless space? I don't even get any friction?
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Van wrote:
smackie wrote:That vai incantation shit is definitely uhhhh different. I prefered the second studio version.
:doh: :doh: :doh:

:evil:
Here's the hairball thing...

You know how you'd mentioned earlier that it must have taken that symphony orchestra a thousand rehearsals to get the timing down on that Aaron Copeland piece? Well, in each of the songs Vai wrote for this tour, for this live album, he didn't do rehearsals. He'd spring the song on his band, who'd get maybe one through of it during sound check, before having to perform it live that night.

No sheet music. No orchestral leader. It's a rock band.

One run through.

"Take a look at this guys, I just wrote it. We're doing this tonight..."

He'd let them watch him play it, they'd take a stab at it...bam. Done. Brutal. Just like Zappa did to him, all the time.

This is the original version of "Incantation," performed for the first time by his full band, with no rehearsal time. Check out the section where he plays some indigenous stringed instrument, like a bouzouki, or something. Again, I can't recall what it is, but as with the accordion bit in the Parisian waltz he threw in a hunk of bouzouki with this Turkish piece.

Unfortunately there's no true video to go with the audio here, but this is the real live performance. Considering the achievement represented here, including the crazy time signature, with almost no rehearsal, this is just mind boggling for a first live performance...
Besides all that shit I just wrote about how he made his band perform it live for that night's show after just a single one-through, wasn't the crowd chanting kind of a give away that it was a live concert performance??

Gah!!
I appreciate the otherwordly musicianship of the group being able to pull something like that off. Just saying that going back to the studio and polishing it up a bit sometimes ain't a bad thing.

What I really like to see is live stuff that still has a bit of improv to it, but, is so fukking well done that it has the studio flawlessness. I'm pretty sure that steve and his boys would have gotten there with a few hours of rehersal.

But what fun is that? The next night he probably turned around and smiled at his boys and said, all right, incantation, in 7/8....reggae!!!!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I appreciate the otherwordly musicianship of the group being able to pull something like that off. Just saying that going back to the studio and polishing it up a bit sometimes ain't a bad thing.
But that's not what you said. You said you liked the second version, the "studio version," better.

The second version isn't a studio version. They're both live.
What I really like to see is live stuff that still has a bit of improv to it, but, is so fukking well done that it has the studio flawlessness.
That second version includes an off the cuff bouzouki solo. That's a bit of improv, in anybody's book, and the whole thing was so well done that you thought it was a studio version.

Sounds like they nailed it, then.
I'm pretty sure that steve and his boys would have gotten there with a few hours of rehersal.
How do you figure they didn't get there anyway? That first live performance version (the second clip) wasn't exactly sloppy. In fact, you originally thought it was a polished up studio version.
But what fun is that? The next night he probably turned around and smiled at his boys and said, all right, incantation, in 7/8....reggae!!!!
For the life of me, I'm not aware of Vai ever doing any reggae. I'd like to see it. I'd like to see Vai's cover of "Get Up, Stand Up."

How would you like to see Vai cover m2's favorite gay song, "Safety Dance," by Men Without Hats...

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

What I said, or at least attempted t say was that the second version, which I mistakenly called a studio version was definitely tighter and in my completely subjctive opinion was "better" for me. And that's all that matters, being a self centered asshole and all.

Vai doing reggae would be interesting. The police seem to be the only mainstream white boy group to do it extensively. Zeppelin dabbled in it a bit as has Rush and I'm sure many other groups.

What I would really like to see is more old school jazz covered by good rock bands. Since Vai is into the oddball time stuff, he ought to cover the DBQ album 'Time Out'. The whole album is done in weird times.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

What I said, or at least attempted t say was that the second version, which I mistakenly called a studio version was definitely tighter and in my completely subjctive opinion was "better" for me. And that's all that matters, being a self centered asshole and all.
Excellent, since the version you prefer is the one they performed live after having only ran through it one time.

As for Vai doing old school jazz...not likely. He's far more into oddball tone, musical exploration and wild modal playing. Not a whole lotta tremolo in jazz, nor is there much in the way of high gain. Vai doesn't use a clean tone very often, and he never uses a fat, warm, ES-335/L5 style clean tone. At best, he'll use a really pristine Strat tone, or the notch position tone from his JEMs.

Nah, if you want jazz, and you want it from a world class rock player, you know where to go. It's either our boy Jesus, or Jeff Healey; and, like Sid, Jeff is dead.

Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Props to you gentlemen on being even more tedious than Kid Gashville.

Worst thread ever.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage