Re: PG&E files for bankruptcy protection

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:Image
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
How am I cherry picking when I’m using readings from the earth’s entire history?

You’ve no concept of time, nor do you understand that the entire picture is required to even come up with an even half-assed guess of what is happening. These poor fuckers can’t even predict what’s going to happen a few hours down the road, much less years.
And yet you you have no problem believing what they tell you happened 4 billion years ago - because (you think) it supports some dumb-assed connection, that you still haven't explained.
Guess what - there were no "readings" from 4 billion years ago, because there was nobody there to "read" them.

Talk about no concept of time...10 billion years ago this was probably an empty spot in space. How is that not also relevant?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

No, but he's a lot more interested in my history over the past 5 years than he is in how I felt in 1958. Or what happened to my great great grandfather, for that matter.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
At no point in infinite time have we ever occupied the same space we're in right now.
How do you know that? Isn't all time and space relative?

You need a point of reference to define any space or place in time.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
If the universe is infinite, then how could that be?
That's why you need a point of reference. Your location in space or time can only be defined relative to some other place or entity.
You do understand that there is no such thing as absolute 0, don't you?
How do you know that?
PS: You're silly if you think your Dr. only wants 5 years of your medical history.
Probably true, but he really doesn't care what what my cholesterol was when I was 10.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I think Melty is an absolute zero.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
I think Melty is an absolute zero.
I thought about taking a swing at that hanging curve but was in a conciliatory mood.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Not sure that is any vindication. They are still responsible for 17 fires. Props I guess for it not being 18?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote:Not sure that is any vindication. They are still responsible for 17 fires. Props I guess for it not being 18?
That one was the most destructive fire in California history. So it's maybe a little more than 1/18th.

I don't like defending PG&E. Like I said before, the IOUs in this state are basically in the business of raping the ratepayers with the blessing of the state regulators. But I've also heard that the PG&E transformer close to where the Camp fire started was found after the fire to have suspicious bullet holes.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:I wouldn't expect either of you to have a comprehension of infinity.
Nonsense. My wife drives a G25.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Mikey wrote:
I don't like defending PG&E. Like I said before, the IOUs in this state are basically in the business of raping the ratepayers with the blessing of the state regulators.
This. If more folks in SoCal and San Fran had to run an A/C unit most of the year the rate payers would totally revolt. However CA gets away with their raping of the rate payers because so many people don’t need to run A/C.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We run it plenty at our house. Not nearly like you all I'm sure, but we have days in the summer that reach three digits, and consecutive weeks where the high doesn't go below 90. If you live within a mile or so of the coast, not so much, but we're 12 miles inland.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Don't have an A/C unit, no need. Been burning alot of NG lately though. Sucks when the nighttime temperature has been dropping into the 50's for the last month or so.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

LOL we had frost earlier this week.

We're on propane for heat and DHW. That shit is $$$. I get a bill for about $400 to $500 every time they come to fill the tank, which is probably four times a year. I've gotten used to sleeping with the T-stat set at 67. Actually no getting used to it for me, but the wife needs to bundle up. Thinking about getting solar hot water, though.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

No doubt it is necessary in parts of the state. I have been in Palm Springs during the summer.

However, more that 40% of California dwellings do not have A/C. Another 18% has only window units. This really cuts down on the need for power in the state. By far the biggest user of power in Texas is cooling offices and dwellings nine plus months a year.

Mikey your wife would freeze at casa Lefty. In the summer the A/C is set to 67 for sleeping and heat is set to 65 in the few winter months. But you guys in SoCal are weather pussies. I went to dinner twice this week and restaurants had portable heaters going outside on their patios and the temps were 68-70. WTF?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:LOL we had frost earlier this week.

We're on propane for heat and DHW. That shit is $$$. I get a bill for about $400 to $500 every time they come to fill the tank, which is probably four times a year. I've gotten used to sleeping with the T-stat set at 67. Actually no getting used to it for me, but the wife needs to bundle up. Thinking about getting solar hot water, though.
And here I thought you had the whole BTU thing figured out, Miguel.

Anyone that uses propane for anything other than cooking is a fool. NG is best if available. Electric otherwise. Especially when you have “our” MST out back helping to pay for it. The fact you are using propane tells me NG is unavailable. A heat pump will handle socal’s modest heat needs. A solar water heater with electric backup would be best for domestic HW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

No natural gas available in our neighborhood. No sewer either, so we're on a septic system.

When we moved in there was propane space heat and water heat, and we added a propane dryer. We changed out the dryer last year for an electric one. Our kitchen is all electric. Not even plumbed for gas.

And yes, propane is expensive but around here electricity is even more expensive. SDG&E, I think, has the highest residential rates in the continental US. Over the past two years we've averaged about $0.30/kWh on a tiered rate (I hear you guys have pretty high rates as well).

With this "Smart Home Study" I'm supposed to start participating in I have to go on a TOU (Time of Use) rate where it's higher during the peak periods and lower during off-peak. In the summer they will actually have a "super peak" period from 4:00 pm until 9:00 pm where it's something like $0.56/kWh. :shock: That period used to be 2:00 pm until 6:00 pm, I think, until we started getting loads of solar generation and the system peak period has shifted until later.

This new battery that was installed in December, which hasn't been inspected or commissioned yet will, hopefully, let me shift all my super peak usage to the new super off-peak period (midnight until 6:00 am) where the cost is a somewhat more reasonable $0.09/kWh. I'll also put the plug-in Fusion on a controller so it charges up after midnight.

In between hours will be something like $0.25/kWh. If I can manage to actually put a few kWh back into the grid in the late afternoon, I'll get reimbursed at that high rate as well, but there's not much production that late in the day, even during the summer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote:No doubt it is necessary in parts of the state. I have been in Palm Springs during the summer.

However, more that 40% of California dwellings do not have A/C. Another 18% has only window units. This really cuts down on the need for power in the state. By far the biggest user of power in Texas is cooling offices and dwellings nine plus months a year.

Mikey your wife would freeze at casa Lefty. In the summer the A/C is set to 67 for sleeping and heat is set to 65 in the few winter months. But you guys in SoCal are weather pussies. I went to dinner twice this week and restaurants had portable heaters going outside on their patios and the temps were 68-70. WTF?
I went out for a while, years ago, with a woman who had moved out here from Michigan. In the winter she would set her thermostat to about 78. Just sweltering. I figured at the time that cold weather folks just like having it really warm inside during the winter.
I'm still wearing shorts outside during the day until it gets to about 60.

I could easily live with 65 deg for sleeping. We run our AC at about 74 in the summer. 67? talk about weather pussies.

Nice thing around here is that, even on most of the hottest days, it cools down to at least the low 70s by evening. At that point I turn off the AC, open all the windows, and turn on the whole house fan, which draws about 12,000 CFM of fresh air in from the outside.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Whole house fans rock!!!!

Between it and the large oaks on the south side of Casa Smackaholic, we live 99+% AC free.

I am surprised that you can heat water cheaper with propane than electrons.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hey 'holic, how's the weather back in your part of the country this week?

I heard you were supposed to be getting some pretty cold weather.

Right now here it's 73 deg and 22% humidity. Low of 52 tonight.

I decided to pick some fruit from a couple of our trees today:

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:Hey 'holic, how's the weather back in your part of the country this week?

I heard you were supposed to be getting some pretty cold weather.

Right now here it's 73 deg and 22% humidity. Low of 52 tonight.

I decided to pick some fruit from a couple of our trees today:

Die in a mudslide, or fire.

Either works for me.

Supposed to be single digits late this week.

Thanks for asking. Dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:https://www.eia.gov/electricity/sales_r ... ble5_a.pdf

Funny how all the asshole power companies make sure that everybody's monthly costs are pretty much the same. Even with a hell of a break, we still get hammered in GA...
Yeah, funny how Oregon and Washington pay basically half the cost per kWh as California does, yet the average bill is about the same.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:
Supposed to be single digits late this week.

Thanks for asking. Dick.

I played golf yesterday.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one