Free MSBeta

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Free MSBeta

Post by Junkman »

I'll let you know if its worth a shit.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx
Goby
Crack Whore

Post by Goby »

Do I need this if I don't use IE?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Seems a little odd that personal info whoring MS is delving into this...here's a fawning review that I found interesting
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I don't know that its odd. As usual MS is just trying to get into markets so it can look good. In the end, most professional people will see it for the botched up attempt that it is, but because it will be included with MS Windows 2006, it will become a popular tool. Well either that or MS will charge a shitload for companies to use it after it adds it into MS SMS server or something similar.

-ET
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

More likely it will be added to the security suite that is rumoured to be in future versions of exchange.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

I have not tried the new beta version ..... yet. BUT.... I did use the version that Giant offered and I was going to buy it the day that Microsoft went and bought them out, back in December.

I had some serious spyware issues back in November, and tried over a dozen products. Being at my wits end, I did what everyone should. I asked DiT. He recommended it, it fixed my problem and found 42 other issues that NONE of the others could, including adaware and spybot seach and destroy.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

future versions of exchange.
http://www.opengroupware.org/en/index.html
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

PSU - They're dreaming. It would have to be adopted by some major companies.

My problem so far is that it identified and found VNC. It looks like it will id anything that can be used to remotely access a computer. By that standard, it should have found remote desktop and glance and gotomypc and PCAnywhere. It should not just target openwhere.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Junkman wrote:PSU - They're dreaming. It would have to be adopted by some major companies.

My problem so far is that it identified and found VNC. It looks like it will id anything that can be used to remotely access a computer. By that standard, it should have found remote desktop and glance and gotomypc and PCAnywhere. It should not just target openwhere.
I doubt they are dreaming. Can you say linux or apache? If they build a decent product, companies will use it.

-ET
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

It would have to be adopted by some major companies.
They're right where open exchange was not too long ago. Adoption definitely happened in their case.

http://www.novell.com/products/openexchange/

My dad is on a PSU IT committee. They have been reviewing various content mgt. systems for their web stuff. They have decided to go with Zope, which is going to save them a pile of jack, and is definitely the best solution for what they need anyway.

MS will still be able to cherry-pick for a while, but the fluff gap is narrowing...