2017 Recruiting

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

2017 Recruiting

Post by Mikey »

Stanford so far has only 9 commits for 2017, but with the commitment of Foster Sarell (sorry Fuskies) they now have (by some services) the #1 and #2 OT, the #1 QB and the #1 TE of the class.

They never pick up as many total commits as most of the other major programs, but this is a pretty decent nucleus.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by Dinsdale »

I saw in the local wrap that Furd pulled a couple of beasts on the OL, and not much else.

For my team, all things considered, what with decommits after the firing and whatnot, Taggart is doing better than anyone expected. Last season might indeed be the anomaly everyone hoped it was. Not quite enough bruisers on the OL yet, but with 4 of the starters being sophs next season, and Tyrell Crosby (the best OL on the roster) coming back, there's a little buffer for a recruiting gap on the line. Did pull a couple of animal DLs, which is nice. As usual, it's still a destination for fast RBs, and the skill positions are shaping up nicely. Got some DBs, but they're on the small side.

All in all, I'm impressed with Tags so far... a serious go-getter.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

schmick wrote:
They need to get Joe Lewis, Austin Jackson, Jay Tufule, Greg Johnson, Jalen Mckenzie, Deommodore Lenoir

And flip players like Wyatt Davis, Jaylon Johnson, Thomas Graham, Addison Gumbs, DJ Johnson, Brandon McKinney, Elijah Blades
Lenoir, Graham, and Jaylon Redd have said they were a "package deal."

And 2 of them are committed to a team to the north.

Don't hold your breath waiting on Lenoir.

Oregon only has 13 (?) hard commits, but it seems like there's more coming.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

schmick wrote:Joe Lewis...Greg Johnson
Sounds like they're leaning... Oregon.

Typhoon Taggart has hit the West Coast.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

The ncaa does need to look at recruiting the same way it looks at title ix
If an out of state student has to pay 2.5 times as much as an in state student does to attend a school, than an out of state student athlete should count as 2.5 scholarships vs that programs allotment. That's logical and fair, there is no good argument against it.
Huh? That's not true for private colleges. Their tuition is the same in state or out of state. So now what genius?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Laxplayer wrote:So now what genius?
Whatever his next screed is. I'm sure it involves removing choices for kids from the shitty parts of SoCal (sup most of it) to compel them to go to USC.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

schmick wrote:Greg Johnson
Sounds like young Mr. Johnson is leaning...

Oregon.

Taggart is killing it.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Stanford picked up some speed the past couple of weeks - the #4 and #7 athletes (scout.com) Connor Wedington (4.49 flipped from UDub) and Paulson ADebo (4.57 flipped from the Domers). Add them to the #2, #4 and #6 overall Scout ranked players and the class is shaping up pretty nicely. New they just need to add some defensive talent, still hoping to land Leonard Warner and Ryan Johnson by signing day.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Both Stanford and Oregon are killing it right now.

And you prized ATH is 4.49? Oregon pulled a 4.30 WR this weekend. Tall kid, too. Could be scary.

Considering that Taggart was very late to the recruiting game (besides poaching his USF commits... sorry, Mucho), and all the de-commits after Helfrich's firing that dropped the (stupid) ranking to the upper 40's, the skyrocketing (stupid) ranking is pretty impressive.

The PAC could be quite the dogfight over the next few years.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

4.49 probably would have been Stanford's fastest ever recruit up until the past couple of years.

Two of our commits were big local recruits for UDub.

:lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The best player in Oregon is going to USC... the fucktard.

Marlon Tuipulotu didn't play in the toughest league or anything, but he's a monster. Schmick will hate him because he's not from California, but there's a pretty good chance he's going to become a big name over the next couple of years.

Actually, I believe the (arguably) 4 best players from Oregon are all leaving the state. Taggart claims that will never happen again... we'll see.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Once he stops recruiting FL he can focus on players from OR.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I doubt he'll stop recruiting Florida, ever. The last 2 coaches hit FLA pretty hard. The problem was that he didn't have time to establish relationships with the local guys. Another year will solve the problem.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Stanford recruits pretty heavily from Texas. Nine players on the 2016 roster (including Solomon Thomas). Two commits for 2017 so far (one five and one four star) are from Texas.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote:Looks like Alabama might get a couple of decent kids.

:grin:
You think?

Shaw is at somewhat of a disadvantage, seeing as how they generally don't offer a player until he's been admitted to the school. That being said, they seem to be pretty successful in signing the kids they do go after.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gators/a- ... ly/2310894

Ryan Johnson, committed yesterday, pretty nicely rounds out this year's class.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... an-johnson

Though one more would be nice:
Four-star outside linebacker Leonard Warner is the final of the six undecided recruits who was in attendance for Stanford’s big visit weekend. The other five have all committed to Stanford.
http://www.scout.com/college/stanford/s ... o-stanford
Last edited by Mikey on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:Looks like Alabama might get a couple of decent kids.

:grin:
Can't wait to see them in their new unis.

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Can I put Sam on "ignore" just for CFB?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

USC killed it today.

Oregon killed it today.

Stanford didn't do much, but had their guys in place already (Mikey mentioned the issue).

Washington got punked... breaks my heart.

Oregon flipped 4 Zona guys... I'm thinking RichRod isn't too happy with his new pal Taggart right now.

Kal... needs a couple of years. They did get themselves a hell of a coach.

Besides Kal, the 11 other PAC teams were all in the top 44 recruiting ranks (even Oregon State... you go, Anderson).
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:
Oregon flipped 4 Zona guys... I'm thinking RichRod isn't too happy with his new pal Taggart right now.
that's gotta breed some ill will, you'd think. i'm not sure RichRod was ever gonna see those guys Senior Day anyhoo. probably a good move for the flips.

RR calling plays for someone called the "Lumberjacks" or the "Wampus Cats" in 4 years....pulling a Rick Neuheisel amazing BS quote about, for him, it's always been about the 'coaching'. he's a coach. that's what he likes. never about opportunism, or money. getting back to the pure thing (and then taking the next money job).

I'm not a fan of ESPN in general (since most of what ESPN does is talk about itself....and the categories it creates to talk about itself...like the ESPN 300).....but I especially "grossed out" by ESPN's coverage of BTPCF recruiting. i don't watch TV but just passing on the website.....it's creepy how they want to make instant ready-made aristocracy for dumb-thinking sports bar morons.

they ran an article about how "over-acheiving" Christian McCaffery was as a recruit (lowish in the ESPN 300).... he had offers from Bama, Ohio State, Michigan.....and anyone around Colorado saw he was one of the better players to come out of CO in a while. really a special guy. wasn't exactly Rudy.

a 4 star guy, whose dad was an NFL player who won the Super Bowl a couple times...he's the "underdog" in ESPN world.

war the 2 star guy or the "no ranking" guy who committed early from Perry, Oklahoma who is also a state champ heavyweight wrestler who goes to OU and gets to class, lifts weights, bangs some heads on special teams, blocks on PAT's with all he's got....shows up for practice on time. 4 years later he's got a degree. a conference championship or three. plays in a BCS bowl or final four.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:
war the 2 star guy or the "no ranking" guy who committed early from Perry, Oklahoma who is also a state champ heavyweight wrestler who goes to OU and gets to class, lifts weights, bangs some heads on special teams, blocks on PAT's with all he's got....shows up for practice on time. 4 years later he's got a degree. a conference championship or three. plays in a BCS bowl or final four.

There was this 2 star or no star (depending on which service) out of Hawaii a few years ago. Won a Rose Bowl, played for a championship, got a degree, won a Heisman, and makes a comfortable living in the NFL.

This shit is indeed overhyped, but it's February, and it's something to talk about.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BTW -- after a very quick websearch, it appears cracking the top 15 in recruiting rankings is considered a big deal for... Clemson (while another team in its conference cracks the top 3 pretty regularly). They seem to do OK.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Different services have different ways of ranking the recruiting classes. I guess you just need to recognize the one that ranks your team highest. For 'Bama it doesn't really matter.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Different services have different ways of ranking the recruiting classes. I guess you just need to recognize the one that ranks your team highest.
"Alternative facts."

I'll go with Oregon at #16. Not 20.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

There was this 2 star or no star (depending on which service) out of Hawaii a few years ago. Won a Rose Bowl, played for a championship, got a degree, won a Heisman, and makes a comfortable living in the NFL.

This shit is indeed overhyped, but it's February, and it's something to talk about.
Baker Mayfield's recruiting offers were Florida Atlantic, Rice, and New Mexico.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

FWIW (not much), Johnny Football was, according to 247, the #395 recruit in his class. Didn't he win some award for being the best player in CFB or something?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Pretty hard to tell when a kid is 17 how much he will develop by the time he's 21 or 22.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Patrick Chung was 16 when he enrolled at Oregon (youngest 5 year CFB player to ever play in the NFL). Dude weighed about a buck-forty.

And he's probably going to get another Super Bowl ring in a few days.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't care much about the NFL.....but wes welker went to heritage hall, a private high school in OKC...class 2a. OU, OSU and Tulsa all passed on him...
"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rashaan Salaam played 8 man football at La Jolla Country Day, a small private school in...La Jolla.

Same school my step-daughter went to (before she was my step-daughter). She and, seemingly, most of her classmates ended up at USC.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Mikey wrote:Rashaan Salaam played 8 man football at La Jolla Country Day, a small private school in...La Jolla.

Same school my step-daughter went to (before she was my step-daughter). She and, seemingly, most of her classmates ended up at USC.
I've seen some really good backs in college, in person. Billy Sims is the best running back i've ever seen. the speed, the power. unreal. after that, i'd give you guys like Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, Adrian Peterson, and Rashaan Salaam. he was a freak out of that deep pitch I. a thing of beauty. when i saw he was dead in a park in Boulder.....and then "which" park.....i've lived here for 25 years.....no one ends up in Eben Fine Park by accident. God bless the guy.
"