*NEW* NFL Pick'em Game Idea

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Shoalzie
WingNut

*NEW* NFL Pick'em Game Idea

Post by Shoalzie »

I was trying to think of way to make Pick 'Em a little more interesting than just picking winners. Plus, not everyone does the Confidence game and I'd almost rather come up with a single game that everyone can play that's unique to this board that you can't play somewhere else.

More of you seem to like the 3 Best Bets against the spread and the total rather than just picking winners. I was thinking about using the moneyline for each games as a way make the games worth different amounts. You'd be betting "money" when you pick the winners and you'd either get paid for the moneyline price if you get it right or you lose money if you pick the game incorrectly.

You guys wouldn't have to do anything more than just pick who you think will win. I'll post the moneyline prices with the schedule of games and I'll determine how much "money" you win each week. You'd carry a bank of points or money over from week-to-week. There would be an element of you can "go broke" where you're out of the game for the rest of the season if you run out of money.

I'm thinking everyone who plays in Week 1 starts with $2000 or 2000 points. I'll say each pick is worth $100. For Week 1, you'd have 16 games so you can lose up to $1600. If you get a game wrong, you lose the $100. If you get it right, you get the paid for what a $100 bet would be against the moneyline.

If you don't have enough money to pick all the games in a given week (meaning you have less than $1600 for a 16-game week)...you pick up to the amount you have left. Let's say you have $1000 left so you pick only 10 games that week.

I'd be happy to run this game if enough of you want to do it next year. I'm thinking that this replaces the Pick 'Em and Confidence games. It's basically still Pick 'Em but with a twist.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Re: *NEW* NFL Pick'em Game Idea

Post by Atomic Punk »

You said you can "bet up to" in any given week. Seeing how the spreads are fixed to win Vegas each week in the College Football pick'ems, I would bet only on one game a week in your game until I saw how many others lost and didn't have much left to bet later in the season. That way, you have more to bet later in the season kind of like Jeopardy at the end of the TV game show.

It would seem to be a better idea to give those that are pretty much out of the game to get a percentage of a pick late in the season to earn their way back in. Just a thought, but I like the way the CFB system is set to pick games you have better confidence in with 30+ games each week. Not everyone picks the same games there as one might have more knowledge of their local teams they follow.

You have a good idea, but it seems most would be out by week 8 and quit playing when they see they have no chance to finish the season.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bump...I'm still interested in giving this a try. I'll run this as long as we have some people that want to give it a try.

If you anyone wants to run the traditional pick 'em and confidence game, I'm leaving that out there for someone else. This is basically still the pick 'em game with a twist. Since you're picking against the money line, it's a bit of a twist on the confidence game. With the chance of losing points/money each week, there's the possibility of going up and down in the standings and not just accumulating points just for picking the winners.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll post Week 1's schedule on Monday night.

Just an example of what this game will be like...

Current moneyline on Carolina at Denver...according to Sportsline.com...Carolina is -175 and Denver is +155.

If you pick the favorite (Carolina), you're betting 175 points and if they win, you'll get an additional 100 points.
If you pick Denver (the underdog), you're betting 100 and if they win, you win an additional 155 points.

When you enter the game, you start with 2000 points. So if you don't play in Week 1, you can join anytime and you'll start with 2000. You can't bet more than the amount in your bank so you won't be able to go past 2000 points in total bets for Week 1.

Biggest bet possible right now would be Seattle (-500) against Miami. If you were to pick Seattle, you would just win 100 plus your 500 back. You'd have only 1500 points to bid on any other games in Week 1.

Prices will not move after I post the weekly schedule. Those are the values I'll put in my spreadsheet. I'll have a Google sheet set up so you can see your results. The player with the most points after Week 17 is the winner.

These are the tiebreakers:
1. Most total wins (correct picks)
2. Highest winning percentage
3. Largest winning week (biggest single week point gain)
4. Most underdog wins

If you want to play, a minimum of 10 games bet for the entire season qualifies you to win the contest. Realistically, you don't have to play every week. You can bet as many or as few games as you'd like. This will hopefully keep people's interest all season. You're out of the contest if you run out of points.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I'm not sure about all the math here, Shoaz.

I'm pretty sure only Duncedale will be able to figure it all out.

Good luck!
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Duncecunt is mur woried boot gramar n speeling...
Go Bucs, Gators
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Btw, RACK Shoalz!

I happen to think his proposal is too complicated -- and that simple is better, but be that as it may, dude has run both pick 'em and confidence games now for many years.

He takes a chunk of time out of his schedule to do the deed here.

Thanks, Shoalzie!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Got back late last night from vacation...I'll post Week 1 now.

Trust me, it won't be that complicated.