Proposed rule changes...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Proposed rule changes...

Post by Left Seater »

Here is a cut and paste of the rule changes I was sent. These still have to be approved but expect that to happen.
1. Technology for Coaching (Rule 1-4-11) Coaches are now allowed to make use of digital technology in the press box and the locker room, but they still may not use video images, photographs or computers on the field.

2. TV Access Inside the Limit Lines (Rule 1-2-3) Television partners may briefly bring hand-held cameras inside the limit lines during certain dead-ball periods. The rule prohibiting them on the field of play remains in effect. (This change makes the 2015 experimental rule official.)

3. Scrimmage kick formation (Rule 2-16-10) Clarifies that a scrimmage kick formation must include either a punter at least 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage or a kicker and holder at least seven yards behind the line of scrimmage; it must be obvious that a kick will be attempted.

4. Sliding Ball Carrier: Defenseless Player (Rule 2-27-14) A ball carrier who obviously gives himself up and goes into a feet-first slide is included in the list of defenseless players.

5. Charged Team Timeouts (Rule 3-3-7) The head coach may request that one of the team’s three timeouts each half, and the timeout in an extra period, be one minute thirty seconds in length.

6. Starting the Game Clock in the Last Two Minutes of the Half (Rule 3-4-3) Inside the last two minutes of a half, if the game clock is stopped to administer the penalty for a foul by the team ahead in the score, the game clock will start on the snap, at the option of the offended team.

7. Outcome of a Suspended Game (Rule 3-3-3) When a suspended interconference game may not be resumed and the athletics directors of the two teams are not able to reach an agreement about the outcome of the game, it shall be determined by the conference policy of the home team.

8. Tripping the Ball Carrier (Rule 9-1-2) A player may not trip an opposing ball carrier by deliberately obstructing him with the foot or lower leg. With this change, the rule is now the same for all players.

9. Blocking Below the Waist (Rule 9-1-6) Offensive players who are outside the tackle box at the snap, and those who leave the tackle box after the snap, may only block an opponent below the waist if the force of the initial contact is directly at the opponent’s front. However, they may not block an opponent below the waist in a direction toward the original position of the ball unless the ball carrier has clearly crossed the line of scrimmage.

10. Low Hits on the Passer (Rule 9-1-9) This rule that protects the passer is modified to clarify that the tackler may not legally make forcible contact against the passer at the knee or below even if he is making a wrap-up tackle.

11. Two Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls By a Coach (9-2-6) If a coach commits two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, he is automatically disqualified from the game, which is the current rule for players.

12. Instant Replay Stoppage: Medical Observer The Instant Replay Official may stop the game at the initiative of a medical observer in the Instant Replay booth. (This change makes the 2015 experimental rule official.)

13. Instant Replay: Expanded Targeting-Foul Authority for the Replay Official In reviewing targeting fouls the Instant Replay Official is to examine all aspects of the action: whether the player was defenseless, the location of the forcible contact, the presence of indicators of targeting, and the use of the crown of the helmet. Also, the replay official may create a targeting foul in the case of an egregious action that was not called by the officials on the field.

Experimental Rule: Collaboration in Instant Replay The rules committee approved a proposal for a one-year experimental exception to Rule 12-4-3. This experiment allows conferences to use a collaborative process for instant replay. Under this experiment, personnel in a separate secure location identified by the conference will assist the Instant Replay Official at the stadium in making decisions.
Most of these mean nothing to the average fan. 12-13 are where you should focus. The booth can now stop a game if the medical observer feels a player on the field should receive medical attention. And the booth can now call a foul in cases where targeting is egregious and the officials on the field missed it.

Discuss.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Proposed rule changes...

Post by Dinsdale »

Nothing too major there. I can see where #10 could result in some petty flags, but should also keep some QBs healthier, so in the end, once players adapt, it should be a positive.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:Nothing too major there. I can see where #10 could result in some petty flags, but should also keep some QBs healthier, so in the end, once players adapt, it should be a positive.
Can't hit him high. Can't hit him low. We're about 10 years away from strapping flags to their waist.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

They need to make a rule requiring our old buddy Frisco to post weekly.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Sam, this does only apply when he is in the pocket. The key word being passer. That word is defined in rule two and says he must be in the pocket.

This rule came from blind side hits where defensive players took cheap shots at the QBs knees. Picture the DE beating the OT and instead of putting his shoulder into the ribs of the QB he decides to dive and make first contact at the knee. This is what this rule addresses. This doesn't come into play if the defender is stumbling or if the offensive teams contact sends him in low. This is just for deliberate hits to the knee.

3rd on Indy.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:They need to make a rule requiring our old buddy Frisco to post weekly.
Would love to, but I'm too busy training for A&M QB duties. I've got 4 years eligibility.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Left Seater wrote:

This rule came from blind side hits where defensive players took cheap shots at the QBs knees. Picture the DE beating the OT and instead of putting his shoulder into the ribs of the QB he decides to dive and make first contact at the knee. This is what this rule addresses. This doesn't come into play if the defender is stumbling or if the offensive teams contact sends him in low. This is just for deliberate hits to the knee.
Just another rule that will be subject to interpretation on the field. Should work out well with the stellar officiating we have seen the last couple of years.
Go Bucs, Gators
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

JSC,

#3 is a clarification of a definition of "Scrimmage Kick Formation." Certain things can only happen from a scrimmage kick formation. For example when the offense is in a scrimmage kick formation if they throw a pass that is a high lob, then Defensive Pass Interference is not possible.

Your example of a punt on 3rd down is still possible. Nothing would prevent that. But the QB would not be granted the protection of roughing or running into the kicker. This is due to the fact that the kicker must be in a scrimmage kick formation for roughing or running into.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

13. Instant Replay: Expanded Targeting-Foul Authority for the Replay Official In reviewing targeting fouls the Instant Replay Official is the presence of indicators of targeting, and the use of the crown of the helmet to examine all aspects of the action: whether the player was defenseless, the location of the forcible contact, the presence of indicators of targeting, and the use of the crown of the helmet.

Most of these mean nothing to the average fan. 12-13 are where you should focus. The booth can now stop a game if the medical observer feels a player on the field should receive medical attention. And the booth can now call a foul in cases where targeting is egregious and the officials on the field missed it.

Discuss.
I believe this proposed change is intended as much to over turn a called foul, that may not have been targeting, as per the definition of the rule.
I do know Nate Gerry had two such incidences, that were submitted by NU for clarification. I believe that it played a role in this new verbiage.

It seems Athlon's wondered about it as well.
I'd be interested on what ya'll think of these two called fouls.

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... ting-calls
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I am familiar with both of those plays. The hit against Iowa is clearly targeting. The tackle against UCLA is a good tackle and the targeting call is horseshit. These plays are all over officiating boards and most take the view I have. One is a foul one is not even close.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

I am not knowledgeable in this but, why not pad the top of the helmet to minimize any hit damage?

Again, not a scientist or medical anything, but wouldn't it help?
What were we just talking about?