Spray, Remember These Guys?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Re: Spray, Remember These Guys?

Post by Joe in PB »

Back in those days bands like that were labeled southern rock bands. Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Marshall Tucker etc. Don't remember Hydra, but they sound par for the period and good.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

"Back in the day" I went to a New Years Eve show at the Cow Palace in Daly City (12/31/73).

Charlie Daniels Band
Marshall Tucker Band
Allman Brothers

Definitely a Southern Rock blowout. Unfortunately this was after both Duane and Berry Oakley died.

ABB played one set before midnight, then till something like 3 a.m.
There are bootlegs of this show floating around. I think you can even get it on YouTube.

The setlist:

Published on Mar 17, 2014
Bill Graham intro
1. Wasted Words
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. One Way Out
4. Stormy Monday
5. Midnight Rider
6. Blue Sky
7. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Set II:
Happy New Year!
8. Statesboro Blues
9. Southbound
10. Come and Go Blues
11. Ramblin' Man
12. Trouble No More
13. Jessica
14. Les Brers In A Minor
Drums
15. Les Brers In A Minor
16. Whipping Post
Garcia, Kreutzman,Scaggs join in;
Whipping Post Jam
17. Linda Lou
Mary Lou
18. Hideaway
19. You Upset Me
20. Bo Diddley
21. Mountain Jam
22. Bo Diddley
Break
Save My Life
Blues Jam
Set III:
23. You Don't Love Me
24. Will the Circle Be Unbroken
25. Mountain Jam
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Want a good album? Buy A New Life. Thank me later.
Can I just thank you later and not buy the album?

:?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

P.S. ~ Screwey asked me to ask you that....
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote:I saw the Marshall Tucker Band multiple times. Only saw the original lineup. Toy Caldwell was a mofo on guitar.

Their shows were incredible. Fantastic musicians. Sax and guitar trading licks. Good times.

I've got vinyl copies two of their early albums. Used to like them a lot but I have to admit that I haven't listened in years. May have to get those old albums out again soon.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Sudden Sam wrote:I saw the Marshall Tucker Band multiple times. Only saw the original lineup. Toy Caldwell was a mofo on guitar.

Their shows were incredible. Fantastic musicians. Sax and guitar trading licks. Good times.

Most of you guys probably already know this, but just in case, if you want to hear a sample of most albums you can do so at Allmusic.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-new-life-mw0000199543

I may prefer this one since it has some live tracks.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/where-we- ... 0000652114

I've seen Allman Bros 3 times, Marshall Tucker, Littlefeat, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Pure Prairie League, missed Skynyrd unfortunately. Of course seen many other concerts in the 70's & 80's. More Jazz in the 90's, now mostly a mix of Blues & Jazz. Dave Koz, Joe Bonamassa, Govt Mule, Tedeschi Trucks, etc, Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes both played with the Allman Bros before the band retired. Two good picks.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-ever ... 0002336860

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-deepe ... 0000318126
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I remember a great live show too, but was burned out on Can you see & a few other songs the local FM radio beat to death. I never had any of their stuff in my album collection (my sister inherited when i went into the Navy). Grew up in Maryland about an hour outside DC, and went to HS in a rural area at the time, which had a corn field next to the student parking lot, lol.

Anyway I bit on A New Life, which I received yesterday. You're right Sam, it is very good and brought back a lot of memories. It is quite a bit different from much of the southern rock genre with its flute, sax & violin licks, and in a more sophisticated good way, if that makes sense. Best of all it didn't have Can You See and the other MTB songs beaten to death. These days I tend to gravitate to lesser known versions of an artists songs, and this CD fits the bill. I like the BBC versions of Hendrix & Zeppelin for example. Thanks again.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Good story & good for you being to play with some great musicians, you must be quite a player yourself PW. Are you in a band?

I've been checking out Wet Willie and Junior Brown and like them both quite a bit. Both are new for me and have some good stuff on Youtube. I noticed that WW live album is about $30 plus shipping on amazon, out of print price. :bode:

Edit: I tuned out Can't You See so much I forgot the name to it, (Can You See), :lol: .
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Mikey wrote:"Back in the day" I went to a New Years Eve show at the Cow Palace in Daly City (12/31/73).

Charlie Daniels Band
Marshall Tucker Band
Allman Brothers

Definitely a Southern Rock blowout. Unfortunately this was after both Duane and Berry Oakley died.

ABB played one set before midnight, then till something like 3 a.m.
There are bootlegs of this show floating around. I think you can even get it on YouTube.

The setlist:

Published on Mar 17, 2014
Bill Graham intro
1. Wasted Words
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. One Way Out
4. Stormy Monday
5. Midnight Rider
6. Blue Sky
7. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Set II:
Happy New Year!
8. Statesboro Blues
9. Southbound
10. Come and Go Blues
11. Ramblin' Man
12. Trouble No More
13. Jessica
14. Les Brers In A Minor
Drums
15. Les Brers In A Minor
16. Whipping Post
Garcia, Kreutzman,Scaggs join in;
Whipping Post Jam
17. Linda Lou
Mary Lou
18. Hideaway
19. You Upset Me
20. Bo Diddley
21. Mountain Jam
22. Bo Diddley
Break
Save My Life
Blues Jam
Set III:
23. You Don't Love Me
24. Will the Circle Be Unbroken
25. Mountain Jam

Good stuff.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Agreed, been to lots of concerts but not many festivals.

I started goggling a couple of the large shows I did go to, found a flyer on one and a wiki write up on the other. No Youtubes though, lol.

Stompin 79

Drove up from Maryland and arrived Friday night, the Pagans were collecting gate fees and providing security, :meds: I was with a few friends and we had a lot of supplies, lol.

What I remember, lots of mud, the promoter running out on the first day with most of the proceeds, and a lot of bands not showing up because they didn't receive a deposit. The Pagans pulled out a shotgun and told all the techies to leave their stuff set up, some were planning on hitting the road when they found out they weren't getting paid, anyway that's what I heard. Pure Prairie League did show, and lots of local bands filled the gaps. I do remember getting up early on Saturday to drive into town and use a pay phone to call in sick at my appliance sales job at Kmart, lol. Then drove right back in and parked where we were camped. We left on Sunday after the last of the bands, and all told we had a good time.

US Festival Memorial Day Weekend, 1983 Sunday, May 29 (Heavy Metal Day)

Was a big Van Halen fan back then, about 300K people that hot ass day. I remember the bands sounded very good. I worked my way from near the back where there was more room, to all the way up in front of the stage for a while, then worked my way to the back again, did that about 3 times throughout the day. The bands included Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Triumph, Scorpions,etc. Van Halen came on at about 10:30 PM and played a couple of hours. Water canons sprayed down some of the crowd during the day. Food and drink were at a premium. But despite being sprayed down once or twice, all day in 100+ degree heat with no shade kicked my ass, and the drive out was fuckin' hell. As good as it was, after that day, I decided I was done with large festivals, lmao.

Edit: I did find some Youtubes of some of the concerts.

As much as I liked Van Halen back then, their act didn't age as well as the ABB, MTB, etc. Eddie does a pretty incredible solo that starts a little after the 1 hour 32 minute mark. I remember picking up Van Halen's self titled album i believe in 1979, incredible stuff back then.

Ozzy Osbourne - day time, gives a good perspective on the size of the crowd.

Last edited by Joe in PB on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bill Graham used to put on some big shows at the Oakland Coliseum, called "Day on the Green."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_on_the_Green

Not as big as those festivals but some pretty good lineups. I went to a couple of the early ones:

Leon Russell, Loggins and Messina, Elvin Bishop, Merry Clayton in '73

First one ever. It was all good but to tell you the truth Elvin Bishop stole the show.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young in '74

Maybe the best show I ever went to.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Days on the Green looked like a great times indeed, < = > when it comes to people & concerts. :) Saw Elvin in a little dive bar less than a mile from the house about 15 years ago, terrific.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

How about these guys? I saw them at Belly Up Tavern a while back (90s) and they were terrific. The Belly Up is one of the best places to see music in San Diego.

Another CD I've had over 20 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... UTF8&psc=1
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

lol, been playin' it quite a bit too. I also bit on Wet Willie Drippin Wet, Macone Hambone Blues has become a favorite. Image
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Yeah, I was doing some work on my laptop when I heard that solo and looked up what song it was. It definitely caught my ear, thanks.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I guess no one remembers the Radiators or liked them.

How about these guys?

Remind me of a combination of the Grateful Dead & Marshall Tucker. This album was released in 1988, a similar time frame as the Radiators Law of the Fish.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Joe in PB wrote:How about these guys? I saw them at Belly Up Tavern a while back (90s) and they were terrific
Haven't been to the Belly Up in probably 30 years. I've gotta get back there because I know they still have some good shows. It's just not all that convenient from Fallbrook. Back in the day, when I lived in Solana Beach, Cardiff, and Qualeudia, it was different. Saw Bonnie Raitt there a couple of times before she hit the bit time, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Rosie (Flores) and the Screamers, The Mar Dels, etc., etc. Definitely have to get back there one of these days.