Bronco Raptor

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Bronco Raptor

Post by BSmack »

It looks like a hearse for someone who is compensating.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

I wouldn't take one as a gift.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Sirfindafold wrote:I wouldn't take one as a gift.
Well I would. Feel free to send it to me if you receive one.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I like Ford, but what they have done to their trucks are a fucking abomination.

Their front ends look like they are catering to that limp-dicked "bro" jackass...and ended up with a grill that looks like a retard trying to make a duckface.

If OJ had to be chased in that, he would've shot himself before the helicopters showed up.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

When I saw the thread title it made me expect something more like this:

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

"Does it come in purple?"

Sincerely, KC Scott
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Is she a pimp?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Props to her if that's the case.

From what I've heard......it ain't easy.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

R-Jack wrote: From what I've heard......it ain't easy.
No. No, it isn't.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

There will be a huge market for this. For those that can afford it. If I was a much younger man, this would have huge appeal. I had a 72 Chev Blazer, the places that took me and the things we did were awesome.

I need 4 doors for grand kids and dogs.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Derron hit the nail on the head for what will limit its appeal.

It only has 2 doors and climbing in and out of an SUV for the back seat pax sucks.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this appealing to many, but it's kinda cool looking. I know a lot of guys buying old ass Broncos or Ram Chargers and putting a few thousand in them as a deer lease vehicle. A 4-door truck seems more practical and will probably be cheaper used for the time being.

Younger crowd will most likely flock to these or rich people who just want a bronco with the modern shit inside it.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Sirfindafold wrote:I wouldn't take one as a gift.
THIS.

as someone who has a 78 and an 87 I couldn't agree more.

what the FUCK have they done to my bronco.

fucking GARBAGE bullshit. what's the price on that fucking thing? 70 grand? yea fuck that bullshit.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Surprised that nobody has mentioned that the F-150 (the top selling truck in America) has been retooled and now has an aluminum body. The truck weighs 750 lbs less, so I've heard, and gets better gas mileage.

I notice GM is now touting their trucks as being made of "steel". I'm in the business of procuring both aluminum and steel, by the truckload, for my employer and have more than a casual knowledge of the properties thereof. Not saying that I'm an expert on metallurgy, but I know enough to comment.

High grade aluminum is just as durable as any grade of steel, depending on the gauge. It's also more expensive. This change by Ford has caused the price of aluminum ingot to go up while steel has gone way down, the lowest price per lb I've seen in many years.

We'll see how this change works out in sales, but I suspect F-150 demand will go down just because of the perception that aluminum is weaker than steel.

Btw, steel or aluminum made in China or India is inferior. When getting quotes, we specify the material must be from an American mill.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I think Ford going to Aluminum is a mistake. Aluminum is fine for sports cars. This is a damn truck. Believe it or not, some folks still use them as trucks. Aluminum is not as hard. I guess that is what they make bedliners for though. I also wonder about long term issues with corrosion. Yes, aluminum does not rust like steel, but, it does react where it touches other metals. And I believe they are still using steel fasteners.

I guess time will tell.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I put my trust in aluminum over steel on a pretty regular basis.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

planes are different from trucks.

tell me you knew.

you don't throw cinderblocks or other heavy objects into them. they also have very regular and expensive corrosion inspections done on them regularly.

as i said, time will tell, but i suspect ford will go back to steel at some point.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Aluminum of most any alloy is highly resistant to corrosion. The term you're reaching for (trying to seem all smart and stuff) is "oxidation".

Oxidation is not necessarily a bad thing either, not in some finished products. But you don't want to be trying to weld oxidized aluminum together. You can rivet it though.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Henry Ford once made body panels out of hemp. You could hit them with a hammer and nothing would happen to them. They never made it on a production car or truck that I know of, something about government regulations. :doh:
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

The heavy checks are looking far more for fatigue and associated cracks than corrosion.

As for throwing heavy crap into a plane, apparently you have never seen a ramp rat at work.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

smackaholic wrote:I think Ford going to Aluminum is a mistake. Aluminum is fine for sports cars. This is a damn truck. Believe it or not, some folks still use them as trucks. Aluminum is not as hard. I guess that is what they make bedliners for though. I also wonder about long term issues with corrosion. Yes, aluminum does not rust like steel, but, it does react where it touches other metals. And I believe they are still using steel fasteners.

I guess time will tell.
That must be you in that avatar...
Go Bucs, Gators
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:Aluminum of most any alloy is highly resistant to corrosion. The term you're reaching for (trying to seem all smart and stuff) is "oxidation".

Oxidation is not necessarily a bad thing either, not in some finished products. But you don't want to be trying to weld oxidized aluminum together. You can rivet it though.
oxidation is corrosion, einstein. the term that would have been better is galvanic corrosion. it is what happens when dissimilar metals touch.

lefty,

back when I was on active duty, I remember hearing the term corrosion inspection get used a lot by airedales in reference to aircraft.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bucmonkey wrote:
smackaholic wrote:I think Ford going to Aluminum is a mistake. Aluminum is fine for sports cars. This is a damn truck. Believe it or not, some folks still use them as trucks. Aluminum is not as hard. I guess that is what they make bedliners for though. I also wonder about long term issues with corrosion. Yes, aluminum does not rust like steel, but, it does react where it touches other metals. And I believe they are still using steel fasteners.

I guess time will tell.
That must be you in that avatar...
I wish I had that much hair.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote: oxidation is corrosion...
uhm, no.

the term that would have been better is galvanic corrosion. it is what happens when dissimilar metals touch.

again, fail.

there must also be an electrolyte and electric current present for that to occur.

nice try.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

War Wagon wrote:Surprised that nobody has mentioned that the F-150 (the top selling truck in America) has been retooled and now has an aluminum body. The truck weighs 750 lbs less, so I've heard, and gets better gas mileage.
More expensive to repair, though.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Smackie Chan wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Surprised that nobody has mentioned that the F-150 (the top selling truck in America) has been retooled and now has an aluminum body. The truck weighs 750 lbs less, so I've heard, and gets better gas mileage.
I read the Ford Enthusiasts website and they talk about no rust and 700lb+ lighter= better mileage. The negative is that you have to replace the panels instead of getting body work done like you'd do with steel parts. The DIY backyard guy here mentioned contact points with dissimilar metals will cause points of corrosion. In USN aviation, we were taught about corrosion and the need to inspect those contact points. We were given a chart on various types of dissimilar metals and how fast they corrode when connected. Left Seater may have better insight since he deals with it daily. So, it might take a few years to hear how Ford has answers to the potential 2015 problem.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Moving Sale wrote:Henry Ford once made body panels out of hemp. You could hit them with a hammer and nothing would happen to them. They never made it on a production car or truck that I know of, something about government regulations. :doh:
Far out, man!

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

'Holic, I don't know how interchangeable the terms are, but on my daily walk arounds it would be difficult to see corrosion unless it had gone unchecked for months.

Here is the FAA on the subject:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... 0_Ch06.pdf
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Smackie Chan wrote:
I wouldn't know but presume you're correct. Probably not many body shops that have any experience with aluminum. I suppose you'd have to go to a dealership with factory trained technicians and spare fenders on the shelf. There will be a long learning curve.

Regardless, I'm sure the eggheads at Ford have prepared for that eventuality. They shutdown the Claycomo F-150 assembly line here (that I drive by every work day and has been operating since 1951) for 2 months while they reconfigured. They have a HUGE investment in this changeover and one would have to figure they know what they're doing. Well, except for the one guy who got killed when a crane dropped something on him.

Anyways, it's not likely they'll change back to steel despite 'holics concern with galvanic corrosion.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:the term that would have been better is galvanic corrosion. it is what happens when dissimilar metals touch.

Aren't you a Navy guy?

I assume (although I have no idea) that Navy ships use sacrificial anode blocks to stave off corrosion.

I know that when people 'round these parts moor an aluminum boat in slat/brackish water, they use sacrificial anodes (zinc), which cause galvanic corrosion, which requires a flow of direct current.

Pretty standard boating shit.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:
smackaholic wrote: oxidation is corrosion...
uhm, no.

uhm, yes it is, dumbfukk. steel rusting, AKA corrosion, is the Fe in the steel becoming FeO2 or is it FeO. 88, help a nigga out, here. Oxidation is a specific type of corrosion. Corrosion is a broader term...I think.
the term that would have been better is galvanic corrosion. it is what happens when dissimilar metals touch.

again, fail.

there must also be an electrolyte and electric current present for that to occur.

nice try.
no, dumbass, you fail. dissimilar metals coming into contact with one another form a galvanic reaction. Dins brought up using a sacrificial anode, and who knows, maybe ford does that.

now why don't you go goggle dissimilar metals.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Carson wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:Henry Ford once made body panels out of hemp. You could hit them with a hammer and nothing would happen to them. They never made it on a production car or truck that I know of, something about government regulations. :doh:
Far out, man!

Rack the up in smoke reset1 I knew that was coming when the midget mentioned hemp body panels.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:no, dumbass, you fail.
I've never been one to pull the IKYABWAI card, but if the shoe fits...

btw, have you ever seen the show on Fusion network - "No, YOU shut up!"

It's hilarious at times, I think you'd like it.

I might rip apart the rest of your post at the top of page 2, or not, depending on how bored I am tonight.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

KC Scott wrote:Not exactly a pimp mobile

100% certifiable douche, you are.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

KC Scott wrote:Ken why does it make you so angry i bought my wife a nice car?
It doesn't. It's that you like to make it well known to the board that you can. Never has an opportunity passed on this board that you haven't made it known. It has much more to do with the fact that you're quite simply an A-1 douche. Period.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

well, wags, lets here your explanation on how oxidation is not an example of corrosion or how dissimialar metals do not have a galvanic reaction when they come together.

I would like to hear the takes of people that actually know what the fukk they are talking about like 88 or mikey.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

The above shows an example of direct contact between dissimilar metals. Another chart showed the need to use isolaters which suggests car makers would probably uses a thinner version of possibly engine motor mounts or some sort of composite material as a barrier. I'm waiting to hear what the 2015 Ford owners have to say later.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:well, wags, lets here your explanation on how oxidation is not an example of corrosion or how dissimialar metals do not have a galvanic reaction when they come together.

I would like to hear the takes of people that actually know what the fukk they are talking about like 88 or mikey.
you referenced "galvanic corrosion" before, not reaction. Backtrack much?

Then you went off on some tangent about FE something or other, but I quit trying to follow you down that rabbit hole or keep up with moving goal posts.

Again, I'm not a metallurgist but have a basic understanding that there is a fundamental difference between steel and aluminum.

Aluminum does not corrode. They don't do "regular" checks "regularly" on aircraft for corrosion as you so eloquently stated. Oh, and you wrote that those supposed inspections were "expensive".

F-150 owners will not have to worry about corrosion.

Their "military" grade aluminum is 5052 H-38 and/or 6061 T6... basically silicon with more or less manganese and copper added with more or less tempering/quenching involved.

Steel is carbon based and the hardness/durability thereof has to do with how much further work is done to it after it's molted. It can be hot rolled (cheaper) and then cold rolled. It can be annealed, heat treated, stress relieved or pickled and oiled... many processes to get the final product, including galvanizing which you dropped your $0.02 and pants about

Had enough? I have.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

War Wagon wrote:
smackaholic wrote:well, wags, lets here your explanation on how oxidation is not an example of corrosion or how dissimialar metals do not have a galvanic reaction when they come together.

Aluminum does not corrode. They don't do "regular" checks "regularly" on aircraft for corrosion as you so eloquently stated. Oh, and you wrote that those supposed inspections were "expensive".
Actually, they do corrosion checks on aircraft on a regular set schedule. We even have "Corrosion Control" departments in the maintenance departments in the Navy. Heck, when I was one of the Maintenance dept. officer's they sent us to corrosion control school. I guess they wanted us to know something since we were in charge of the troops that did the work. Maybe inspections are not so common in civilian aviation. It's a pretty big deal when flying low over salt water.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

yeah, whatever you say then. They've been flying B-52's for 60 years and the least of their maintenance problems is galvanic corrosion of "dissimilar" metals.

Metal fatigue, maybe, but I'd guess those JP-7 engines are of more concern.